Vaping and dehydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenut

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
New Hampshire
I was following this thread early on, but I see it's turned into quite the discussion. Sorry folks, just don't feel like reading the whole thing since I was last here. (I did however, skim through it).

Concerning myself, I have come to the following conclusions.
1. I like vaping
2. I am not a Scientist, a Doctor, or a Chemist
3. I don't care to be any of the above
4. When I first started vaping (or even now, when I vape too much), I get classic signs of mild to moderate dehydration, as described by the Mayo Clinic staff.
5. This never happened when I smoked 2+ PAD of Cigarettes, nor did I drink a lot of fluids then.
6. Drinking a lot of fluids completely eliminates the symptoms of dehydration after a lengthy vaping session
7. I don't need, nor do I want "scientific evidence", I simply know how I feel.
8. Last but not least, just read 1-7 again.

9. Oops, sorry...one more thing. Have a nice day, and happy vaping! ;)

All possible mechanisms I have found are just too minimal to point to this being an issue with vaping. But I think it might be highlighting an underlying (marginal dehydration) issue in some vapers, which would best be corrected by looking at other diet / health issues / lifestyle factors. Such as borderline diabetic, high caffeine intake, high carb diet, etc. ...

In other words, the issue might be real but the cause is not vaping.

In new vapers there is also smoking withdrawal symptoms.

Plus i think there are sometimes psychological factors centered around depression, victim-hood, crutch, suffering, cynicism ...

Last edited:

swt_silhouette

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
Boston
I have never met a vapor yet, who didn't have an issue with "cotton mouth" when they first started vaping. Most also experience chapped lips, and so forth... Increasing fluid intake is pretty common recommendation for newbies. I doubt we ALL have such "underlying issues"... Some of this could be withdraw, I suppose. But vaping does take some acclimating and does have it's own set of *side-effects*.

All possible mechanisms I have found are just too minimal to point to this being an issue with vaping. But I think it might be highlighting an underlying issue in some vapers, which would best be corrected by looking at other diet / health issues / lifestyle factors. Such as borderline diabetic, high caffeine intake, high carb diet, ...

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
This is an interesting thread although I already am so dehydraded from 1500mg of lithium and other psych meds I doubt I could notice the difference (and I don't). So I surprised I get any vapor at all if it is supposed to be coming from me.

For some reason in the past if I smoked too much I would get headaches and feel ill. I do not have this problem vaping. Always thought it was the nicotine made ill, must of been one of the other chemicals in cigs.

poolslime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Colorado
All possible mechanisms I have found are just too minimal to point to this being an issue with vaping. But I think it might be highlighting an underlying (marginal dehydration) issue in some vapers, which would best be corrected by looking at other diet / health issues / lifestyle factors. Such as borderline diabetic, high caffeine intake, high carb diet, etc. ...

In other words, the issue might be real but the cause is not vaping.

In new vapers there is also smoking withdrawal symptoms. Plus psychological factors centered around depression, victim-hood, crutch, suffering ...
From everything I have read, the mechanisms of PG specifically are beyond minimal and very real. But I do agree that it can highlight deficiencies in our diets.

I don't see PG as being able to suck us dry at all, but in cases where folks do not have an optimum level of water content, I see PG as being able to exasperate it to the point where it's much more noticeable than if they weren't vaping PG heavy juices. To that end, I believe the subject deserves much more mention than it is given.

I have never met a vapor yet, who didn't have an issue with "cotton mouth" when they first started vaping. Most also experience chapped lips, and so forth... Increasing fluid intake is pretty common recommendation for newbies. I doubt we ALL have such "underlying issues"... Some of this could be withdraw, I suppose. But vaping does take some acclimating and does have it's own set of *side-effects*.

I;m just doing my best to get to grips with this. I think it significant that I cannot duplicate the effect, so it would seem to not be universal. I'm a pretty average person regarding fluid intake; not a water junkie. Yet it doesn't show up.

I'm a bit unhappy with the terms in which the advice is given - I wuld say that some people experience dryness and that extra fluids can help. There is a definite possibility for pre-setting the experience by stating what will occur; this can be a very strong effect - some peple really die when a 'spell' is put on them. Those who did not constantly read this before starting vaping are much less likely to be afflicted ;)

Last edited:
From everything I have read, the mechanisms of PG specifically are beyond minimal and very real. But I do agree that it can highlight deficiencies in our diets.

I don't see PG as being able to suck us dry at all, but in cases where folks do not have an optimum level of water content, I see PG as being able to exasperate it to the point where it's much more noticeable than if they weren't vaping PG heavy juices. To that end, I believe the subject deserves much more mention than it is given.

I agree with this. I would add though that I think it not so much a 'last straw on camel's back' thing, but a consciousness highlight - that the advice about possible dehydration creates awareness of something that was already there; and I wouldn't doubt that marginal chronic dehydration is quite widespead (even if somewhat overhyped).

It is definitely deserving of more attention and study.

PG effects are real - just very small (for the average person).

Last edited:

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
I have given this some thought and I think we are exagerating the issue. It does not take that much water to create vapor. While it is certainly a local effect that may dry out our mouths, the vapor for the entire day is unlikely to amount to more than half a glass of water and should not have much effect on the body as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread