Vaping and the constant pressure from the people around me

Status
Not open for further replies.

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
bit of background story before I start :D
I was a smoker for "only" 6+ years, a pack of Reds a day, sometimes 2. Started vaping about 3months ago, after that initial first week of vaping, I havent touched any cigarettes since. My body feels much better than I ever was.

but then, about a month ago, my parents and relatives discovered that I vape, since then they bombard me with "those articles" about the "dangers" of vaping, and today, the local newspaper wrote one of those article, I read it and to be honest, it's bs, it's something along the line of "the chemical in e-cigs (PG/VG/etc) are carcinogens/dangerous", that's it, no data, no reference, nothing. Since then, I feel the pressure and constant bombardment is getting worse. Of course I stood firm because I know what is better for me and what vaping is really all about. But to be honest, this happening constantly is getting annoying. sometimes it feels that people implied "you're better off smoking".
How do you guys deal with this? How to explain to them about the real benefit of vape over stinkies?

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Simple. Ultimatum ONE OR THE OTHER.. Would they really rather you SMOKE or do something that is FAR LESS HARMFUL... note they must choose one. Those same people will also just say you could just quit both... not realizing any mental hangups you may have. If you really wana put it to them remind them of who is bringing them these "stories" Main Stream Media.... yes those same people who are clearly agenda driven and do not care about facts.... If i need to say more you have been under a rock the past couple years :p

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I was a smoker for "only" 6+ years, a pack of Reds a day, sometimes 2. Started vaping about 3months ago, after that initial first week of vaping, I havent touched any cigarettes since. My body feels much better than I ever was.

but then, about a month ago, my parents and relatives discovered that I vape, since then they bombard me with "those articles" about the "dangers" of vaping, and today, the local newspaper wrote one of those article, I read it and to be honest, it's bs, it's something along the line of "the chemical in e-cigs (PG/VG/etc) are carcinogens/dangerous", that's it, no data, no reference, nothing. Since then, I feel the pressure and constant bombardment is getting worse. Of course I stood firm because I know what is better for me and what vaping is really all about. But to be honest, this happening constantly is getting annoying. sometimes it feels that people implied "you're better off smoking".
How do you guys deal with this? How to explain to them about the real benefit of vape over stinkies?
I don't vape around people who might be bothered, similar to smoking. If they want to talk the topic my defense is I feel better and instead of $3,000 a year to smoke a carton a week my cost of ingredients for a year supply of e liquid is less than $20. The only hobby cheaper than vaping is chess. The money seems to be the strongest argument.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Or remind them that BT/BG leveraged their way to allowing Cigarettes to be sold near schools with bright advertising allowed and how many years cigarettes were promoted before the TRUTH was revealed but is ignored. I deal with it by educating the people telling me the nonsense. Explain to them what you need to do to create those carcinogens and how no person even a smoker would actually inhale. I know exactly what you are going through @frosc and I have to deal with it every time they see a new News Story.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and everything.

I smoked way longer than you, about 45 years. It was killing me. I've vaped exclusively for almost four years now, and I started feeling better only two days after switching.

It's your life and your decisions--based, I hope--on your experience and knowledge instead of just a fun and unique thing to do. People are always freaked out when they hear things via media and journalism, so your friends and relatives are acting normally in that regard.

Honestly, I don't know if it's healthier or safer than smoking in the long run, but in the short run I can truthfully say I feel much better. The effect of vaping for 40 years...I have no idea.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
also if it matters, i'm not from the US, vaping has really boomed only around 2years or so here, i think
Ok so well you havent payed attention to US elections, cant blame you. At any rate facts scare liberals... my sister tried to spread her propaganda about Vaping being antifreeze and other such things at a family gathering a few years back... she has since shut up after being presented with facts...Letting the government TELL you or letting the MEDIA TELL you what the "facts" are in their opinion is just nonsense... its hard to find honest journalism these days, ill concede it goes both ways while one side is lopsided more so than the other... either way they just need Facts... because facts remain constant whether you believe them or not :D

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
I had the same bombardment of BS, At first it made me quite mad, and was defensive. After about a year or so it subsided and I gave up the fight to argue, I just say "oh yeah I heard that" as I take a nice pull. I have been off cigs for going on four years, and have never had better heath reports. Lost 50 pounds, Don't wheeze and hack, lowered my Blood pressure to non-stroke level, and boosted energy levels. I did smoke for over 25 years prior to vaping, and for me and many others it has been a life saver, not to mention not smelling like a ashtray and burning holes in clothes and furniture. So whenever someone says things like that I just don't argue with stupid.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Id agree with @NU_FTW however, the choice simply isnt theirs. You vape because it helped you quit smoking and you feel better for it. You made the choice for your health and you should be proud of your decision. Of course the people who care about you can choose for themselves what they would "rather" you do but in the end its not up to them.

I get very few negative comments about vaping and the few comments I do get are usually absurd enough to ignore. The most recent was someone at work said "its still smoking because you can see the smoke coming out and there is nicotine in it". My reply was 2-part "So when you boil a pot of water do you call it smoke or steam?" and "by your logic people on the patch or on nicorette are still smoking because it has nicotine in it". I left the conversation with those 2 points as nothing more needed to be said.

Educate yourself and be prepared to discuss vaping with the "nay sayers" but dont engage the comments that do not open the door to intelligent discussion.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I learned not to nag. People seem to move away from my life.

As a boss, I accept one approach per person per idea. AND, I do believe I should give the issue fair consideration and research. That generally takes some time. The fairness is respect for the issue. But, if the person nags, then I have to move away from them. My God says to Love, so their is that, too.

But, I humbly respect me, too.

Research, consider, decide, and stand by it.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

I spoke to my doctor prior to beginning vaping, because I didn't know much about it. My doctor was supportive in making the switch, saying she felt that vaping was much less harmful than smoking, and that while nothing going into my lungs is best, vaping is better for you, and much less harmful than smoking cigarettes. I have since spoken to two of my other doctors, and they are ALL very positive about vaping in comparison to smoking cigarettes, and very happy that I vape rather than smoke and that I was successful with it. (Success meaning no longer smoking)

If I were you, I would simply say you didn't go into this ignorantly, and that doctors (real doctors and not journalists) believe that vaping is a much better alternative than smoking cigarettes, and simply leave it at that.

If my doctors hadn't been supportive and positive about vaping, I never would have tried it personally.. but they were.. and are so happy that I was finally able to get off the smokes after 32 years of a two pack a day habit.

I trust my doctors, whose job it is to make sure I'm healthy and doing the right thing by my body.. and if they are thrilled I was able to successfully quit smoking via vaping, then it just can't be that bad. Top it off with how much better I feel.. and vaping is a definite winner!

It's ignorance that encourages smoking over vaping.. and I would simply point that out.

ETA: Just so you know, vaping wasn't the first thing I used to try and quit, but it was the last. I had tried chantix, the patch, welbutrin, and all other methods of quitting, and all were unsuccessful. After all this over a period of years which were all unsuccessful, I told my doctor I was considering trying vaping to get off the smokes and asked her opinion and the conversation with my doctor began - and I related what was said here. I just thought this was worthwhile to state as well, since I HAD tried other methods first.

Last edited:

Deryan3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2014
Racine, WI
It can be a frustrating spot to be in for sure, I didn't read in your opening post if your family circle bombarded you with the hazards of smoking the reds, regardless, your family are concerned for you and your health. What they should be concerned about as well is how you feel about vaping, and how well you feel physically since you started vaping.
I had a couple friends that would bring up the same topics about vaping to me, I didn't feel I needed to justify my decision to vape to them or anybody else. When I decided to smoke cigs at an early age, family/non-smoker friends would badger me of the hazards of smoking, I didn't give a d-- then or the 35/36 yrs. of smoking after that. I applied that same response when I started vaping, it will soon be 3yrs. smoke free, I feel physically better than I did when I was smoking and I still don't give a d-- what anyone says to me about the "dangers" of vaping because they are not experiencing the positive things I am.

Best wishes to you :headbang:

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
If people are open to discuss explain them but if they don't tell them that their opinions are far more toxic than vaping.

If you think vaping is better for you than smoking keep on and don't let their opinions affect you

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
thanks for the advices and response guys, even with all this "bombardment" I would still take vape over a cig any day, but the constant pressure and ignorance kinda annoyed me, and I just wanted an advice and opinion from you guys on the best approach how to deal with this :D

It can be a frustrating spot to be in for sure, I didn't read in your opening post if your family circle bombarded you with the hazards of smoking the reds, regardless, your family are concerned for you and your health.

strangely enough, no. they only said "dont smoke too much", that's it.
probably because vaping is something new to them and most of the other older folks here, and people dont really respond well to something "new" I guess heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread