Vaping and the constant pressure from the people around me

Status
Not open for further replies.

96TL

Verified Member
Mar 8, 2017
I've had a few co-workers lecture me that I'm better of smoking than vaping also.

And I've had a few "warn" me that my mod can explode in my face. (I use regulated mods only - Smok Alien, G-Priv and Primus).

Latest one I heard just recently is that vaping causes pneumonia and I should be really careful.

:lol:

Just do what you think is best for you.

3heavens

Mar 1, 2017
thanks for the advices and response guys, even with all this "bombardment" I would still take vape over a cig any day, but the constant pressure and ignorance kinda annoyed me, and I just wanted an advice and opinion from you guys on the best approach how to deal with this

I live in a small town and have been going through the exact same thing. It's like everyone wants to start an argument or have me defend vaping.
Sometimes I say "according to the Royal College of Physicians vaping is 95% better for you". Next time I might tell them to ask there doctor.
Or people have to make up there own minds wading through the crap online, like I did.
Once it's not such a PITA, and mainstreamed to a better standard it'll catch on.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I live in a small town and have been going through the exact same thing. It's like everyone wants to start an argument or have me defend vaping.
Sometimes I say "according to the Royal College of Physicians vaping is 95% better for you". Next time I might tell them to ask there doctor.
Or people have to make up there own minds wading through the crap online, like I did.
Once it's not such a PITA, and mainstreamed to a better standard it'll catch on.
There's some really good informational packages for doctors about vaping out there..

Spend a bit of cash get em printed and have them delivered by courier to every doctor in town.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
One easy to understand comparison is that vaping is theatre/disco fog, smoking is inhaling the fumes of a burning Christmas tree. Which one would you prefer?

I personally have a very good answer for people that bother me (there haven't been many).
"I work in a chemical lab and we do analysis of tobacco smoke and EZig vapor; so believe me, I KNOW whats in them!" That either shuts them straight up or they go from making claims to asking questions. Both are fine by me.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Maybe it's to do with what small town.. I live in a very small town.. at last count there was just under 980 residents..

When I was at the doctor on Monday, after my appointment I was waiting outside for my husband to come and pick me up and I was vaping near the entrance. Everyone said hi, was very friendly and no one said boo about me vaping.

I even had a gentleman from church come up and carry on a 15 minute conversation about church.. the whole time I was vaping (granted I was respectful as he was a non smoker.. ) but again, not one word was said, and I certainly wasn't hiding my vaping at all..

Whenever there are various social functions I vape.. many others join me and many are curious about what I'm vaping (flavor juice or set up etc).. but no one complains or preaches to me..

Really I guess it just depends on the people.. maybe I just live in a more "to each his own" type of an area..

I guess I should count my blessings for that! :)

Last edited:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I don't find it that hard, I just tell them something like this:

"Oh, you heard the propaganda that they are using to try and kill it as they hate that smokers are finally getting something that works and they are loosing sooooo much tax money that it's becoming a huge problem for them... about those lies, it's super easy to look for yourself and you'll find out that there's a lot of actual research that is proving that it's actually as safe as can be and there's yet to actually be a single proven bad thing about it still after over 10 years... and other stuff that shows that all those lies, are lies."

If they insist: "Don't believe me? just go ahead and look it up instead of those crappy anti-vape fake stories, if you want, give me your email and I'll send you a bunch of links about it so that at least you'll know what it's really about."

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
Ok so well you havent payed attention to US elections, cant blame you. At any rate facts scare liberals... my sister tried to spread her propaganda about Vaping being antifreeze and other such things at a family gathering a few years back... she has since shut up after being presented with facts...Letting the government TELL you or letting the MEDIA TELL you what the "facts" are in their opinion is just nonsense... its hard to find honest journalism these days, ill concede it goes both ways while one side is lopsided more so than the other... either way they just need Facts... because facts remain constant whether you believe them or not :D
I'm Liberal, and I vape. PLEASE don't start with the partisan nonsense

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
I handle it the same way Bill Nye deals with creationists.

Stick to the facts, have more information than the other person and quote plus provide the necessary evidence from the required paper. Leaves them unable to go anywhere than to repeat their bias or unevidenced bias they hear from elsewhere.

The British Medical Associations paper is a go to favourite.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    This shows how vaping is about more than vaping. It's about corruption, politics, money, the rabid media. And even if people are right in being concerned about you, they're wrong in listening to idiots. It's an extremely clarifying thing to have something you actually know a lot about being discussed by the government and media, it shows how bad they really are. Good intentions (in appearance, anyway) without knowledge mixing with corrupt intentions, all with very little understanding or concern for Freedom.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    I think that those with the "short" (and possible "angry") responses to others would not help the situation.

I think the goal should be to educate others to understand that they have only heard the propaganda, and what's needed is the truth to be heard and known.

I'd rather have people that don't vape on our side instead, that they would be ready to accept vaping as an alternative that so far, doesn't have any proven bad factors compared to smoking, so that when the topic comes up, they are educated with correct information.

Your job is to make them aware that it's a positive to vape instead of smoking.

KurtF

Jan 15, 2017
    North Carolina, USA
    I handle it the same way Bill Nye deals with creationists.

Stick to the facts, have more information than the other person and quote plus provide the necessary evidence from the required paper. Leaves them unable to go anywhere than to repeat their bias or unevidenced bias they hear from elsewhere.

I think the goal should be to educate others to understand that they have only heard the propaganda, and what's needed is the truth to be heard and known.

I would love for it to work this way too. But so many people seem to get so 'invested' in their own opinions, for whatever reason, they simply will not see reason. Simon and Garfunkel said it well: "A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest. Mmmmmmmm...."

Then there's another quote I heard in a movie years ago, and never forgotten:

"...Everybody always knows what the truth is, like it was toilet paper or somethin', and they got a supply in the closet. But what you learn, as you get older, is there ain't no truth. All there is is bullsh*t, pardon my vulgarity here. Layers of it. One layer of bullsh*t on top of another. And what you do in life like when you get older is, you pick the layer of bullsh*t that you prefer and that's your bullsh*t."
    --Bernie LaPlante (Dustin Hoffman) in Hero

Sad but true: everything gets political. Even the simple pleasure of vaping.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 29, 2016
    Nottingham, UK
    I would love for it to work this way too. But so many people seem to get so 'invested' in their own opinions, for whatever reason, they simply will not see reason. Simon and Garfunkel said it well: "A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest. Mmmmmmmm...."

Then there's another quote I heard in a movie years ago, and never forgotten:

"...Everybody always knows what the truth is, like it was toilet paper or somethin', and they got a supply in the closet. But what you learn, as you get older, is there ain't no truth. All there is is bullsh*t, pardon my vulgarity here. Layers of it. One layer of bullsh*t on top of another. And what you do in life like when you get older is, you pick the layer of bullsh*t that you prefer and that's your bullsh*t."
    --Bernie LaPlante (Dustin Hoffman) in Hero

Sad but true: everything gets political. Even the simple pleasure of vaping.

Exactly.

People can have such fragile egos. They make a decision about something, then will argue that point until blue in the face just to avoid backing down and admitting a mistake.

Ever seen the film Revolver? Sums it up perfectly!

I started vaping long before we had these studies and evidence. I kept an open mind, I felt physically better vaping than smoking so I carried on. If I was presented with evidence vaping was more harmful, I'd have stopped. Luckily, my subjective view has now been proven correct that vaping is 95% healthier than smoking.

It's all down to the individual, if they have an open and inquisitive mind, can be shown vaping is healthier than smoking & safe.

If they have bias and an ego, you may aswell talk to a wall!

(Obviously don't want to offend anyone of their family members fall under the latter description, I have family members that do! I just avoid discussing it with them.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread