Vaping and vasoconstriction

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigStu81

Jun 14, 2016
Hey guys,

How's it going!

Another somewhat random question from me...

I was talking with a good friend of mine the other day over a few beers. Long story short, he's been prescribed ...... (like ......) because he suffers from ED. He's pretty overweight and tbh not really looked after himself for the almost twenty years I've known him.

Anyways, he mentioned that he's also stopped smoking on his doctor's recommendations because the nicotine supposedly has a constrictive effect on capillaries and blood vessels, which further compounds his problems.

Got me thinking. Although most info on this relates to smoking, it's surely also an effect of vaping. Did some googling and it sounds like a pretty worrying prospect in the long run tbh. Of course, vamping is still likely a much better alternative to smoking. But as somebody who vapes primarily for enjoyment and could likely give up fairly easily it made me think...

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
Hey guys,

How's it going!

I was talking with a good friend of mine the other day over a few beers. Long story short, he's been prescribed ...... (like ......) because he suffers from ED. He's pretty overweight and tbh not really looked after himself for the almost twenty years I've known him.

Anyways, he mentioned that he's also stopped smoking on his doctor's recommendations because the nicotine supposedly has a constrictive effect on capillaries and blood vessels, which further compounds his problems.

Got me thinking. Although most info on this relates to smoking, it's surely also an effect of vaping. Did some googling and it sounds like a pretty worrying prospect in the long run tbh. Of course, vamping is still likely a much better alternative to smoking. But as somebody who vapes primarily for enjoyment and could likely give up fairly easily it made me think...
I remember an old wives first aid treatment for bleeding was to put ground tobacco in the cut to stop bleeding. Like literally pull a cigarette apart and liberally dump those cut leaves in there. So there's credence to that tale; nic constricts blood vessels. Maybe this is one reason smoking has links to strokes and heart attacks.

But on the other hand, there're also many anecdotes that in the past asthma and lung construction was treated with a cigarette.
How you'd reconcile those two nuggets, I really don't know.

Sent from the road using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Just Me

britrocker

Jul 3, 2016
Hey guys,

How's it going!

Scientifically this is correct. Nicotine does CONSTRICT.

Though i will say this. When i smoked cigarettes i never felt as if i was choking. But when i vape i do.

Something in vaping ( high or low vg is causing issues for me )

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Nicotine IS a vasoconstrictor. That is a fact.

Whethr or not it would be an issue for an individual depends very much on their total health picture, and that determination can only be made by their physician.

I will say that if I was having heart surgery, I wouldn't be using nicotine shortly before or after. I also had a surgery that required very carefully done procedure because of scarring, (a large mole on my face) and I was advised by 3 plastic surgeons that nicotine had a very adverse affect on this, and they had patients to prove it, but I don't know what "else" was going on with those patients. This was back before vaping, so I actually did quit smoking, cold turkey, for 2 months before and that lasted for 3+ years. :) I was NOT willing to have scars and have to have revision surgeries or lose blood supply to a vital part of my body or end up with necrotic tissue.........

The willingness to take risks of course, is different for everyone. When it comes to stuff that is a "you only get to do this once so it better turn out right" I tend not to be a risk taker.

In the short term, I can pretty much do ANYTHING I feel I have to do to get the result I want.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
I remember an old wives first aid treatment for bleeding was to put ground tobacco in the cut to stop bleeding. Like literally pull a cigarette apart and liberally dump those cut leaves in there. So there's credence to that tale; nic constricts blood vessels. Maybe this is one reason smoking has links to strokes and heart attacks.

But on the other hand, there're also many anecdotes that in the past asthma and lung construction was treated with a cigarette.
How you'd reconcile those two nuggets, I really don't know.

Sent from the road using Tapatalk.

Let me help you reconcile those two nuggets. Nicotine is indeed a vasoconstricter. However, in cigarettes, chocolate and cocoa are added because they contain the alkaloid theobromine, which is a bronchodilator--opens up the airways to make the smoke go down easier and deeper.

A friend of ours brought me some real tobacco from a visit to Kentucky many years ago. Wow, I couldn't smoke it at all!

My mother never could understand why her mother said cigarettes helped her breathe better. Bronchodilators!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread