Not open for further replies.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Around my I year old all the time, general precautions such as ventilation of course. Been years now and I've never seen her cough or complain about it. She knows it keeps daddy from smoking but that it is still not good, she is just happy I'm not dieing slowly anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Hi, this is my first post and could be a stupid question! Is it safe to vape in the same room as my 18mnth old son? I Must be exhaling a certain amount of nicotine, should I be concerned about this? Would constant exposure lead to any kind of craving for nicotine?

There should be no health concerns whatsoever vaping around children as the only by product is water vapour. However, there are some conflicting reports on this from various experts, so caution is probably the best course of action for now.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Studies have shown that if you smoke in your house then the odds of your kids smoking will increase exponentially. The same goes with drinking. Everyone wants to ask is there any research on vaping? The simple answer is...do the research. The problem is that there is no research done that says it is 100% safe or not safe. So in saying this why do it in front of your kids? They are your kids and feel free to do what you want but know that the probability of them following in your footsteps is great. Vapers should follow smoking laws just the same. Just because you can vape in a restaurant doesn't mean you should do so. It's individuals such as these that will get e cigs banned or worse.

But why would you care if it's banned?

just saying, if you think everyone should treat it like smoking... than do you think it should be banned everywhere that smoking is... and taxed accordingly?

I think Vapers treating it like smoking and demonstrating to non-vapers that "it is a dangerous product on par with smoking" does more harm than demonstrating that it isn't.

Last edited:

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
No way, it's just irresponsible. It's like telling your kids it's ok to do drugs. Essentially that's what nicotine is. Just like drinking...not that there is anything wrong with having a drink but IMO a good parent will try to keep their kid away from anything that could potentially harm them. If you don't then your ....ty parent. Just my 2 cents.

Furthermore if you have to ask then you've already lost!

Seems that this line of thinking has become much more prevalent as more people come to the site. I just don't get the whole "don't ever let your child out of their 100% safe and happy bubble, lest they become demons or die of painful diseases". Is that the type of society we're becoming? Have we become such a nanny state that our kids will be programmed from birth to think this way? So, let me do this for my son. I'll have a military gas mask surgically attached to his face, so that he can only breath fresh air, can't eat a hamburger or steak, only liquid diets through the tube in the mask. Then I'll have him castrated, so he doesn't ever get the need that could cause him to get STDs that could shorten his life, and with the lack of testosterone, would live a much longer life as well. Then I'll make sure I brainwash him to never want to drive a car, as he could possibly run into a tree, or be hit by a drunk driver. Oh, and even walking, he could be hit by a drunk driver, so he can only take the subway. Oh wait, subways can crash, or he might meet a horrible person that may take his wallet or attack him for looking funny with his permanently attached gas mask.....I mean seriously. This is what goes through my head when I see extreme over protecting of children. I know they're your children, and you don't want anything to ever happen to them. Just like I don't want anything to happen to mine. But trying to hide everything "bad" that you do because you don't want them to do it is just as crazy as what I said above. Unless you keep your child in your house 24/7, and never let them out for anything, you have no internet, TV, magazines or newspapers, they're going to see things you don't like. Your best protection for your children? Education. Teach them what's right and what's wrong. Don't hide all the wrong things and hope that because they're not exposed to it, they'll only know right things. You made your own decisions, they're going to make theirs. Help them decide what's going to be right for them, don't let them figure it out on their own because you're too embarrassed of yourself to share it with them.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Studies have shown that if you smoke in your house then the odds of your kids smoking will increase exponentially. The same goes with drinking. Everyone wants to ask is there any research on vaping? The simple answer is...do the research. The problem is that there is no research done that says it is 100% safe or not safe. So in saying this why do it in front of your kids? They are your kids and feel free to do what you want but know that the probability of them following in your footsteps is great. Vapers should follow smoking laws just the same. Just because you can vape in a restaurant doesn't mean you should do so. It's individuals such as these that will get e cigs banned or worse.

"Studies?" Who did them and what was their agenda? I go by my own experience. Here it is: Neither my husband nor I drink alcohol... never have... not even socially. I smoke and my husband does not. We have 4 children. One smokes and three do not. Two drink socially and two do not drink at all. We raised three grandchildren. None smoke. Two are alcoholics and 1 does not drink at all. That spells genetics to me as their other parent's family has many alcoholic members. And the smoking started as a result of peer group in my book as it only started after falling in with a group of smokers and dating them.

Maui73

Feb 12, 2013
California
Your best protection for your children? Education. Teach them what's right and what's wrong. Don't hide all the wrong things and hope that because they're not exposed to it, they'll only know right things. You made your own decisions, they're going to make theirs. Help them decide what's going to be right for them, don't let them figure it out on their own because you're too embarrassed of yourself to share it with them.

I agree. It's going to be hard, but this is what all parents need to do...

paleocon12111971

Feb 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
I don't have kids, but I did vape next to three young boys when I was waiting for my table at Buffalo Wild Wings. The one next to me (probably the oldest) looked about 8 or 9. Their father didn't care at all, which doesn't surprise me because he had no problem announcing to the entire restaurant that he was taking his kids to Hooter's just to avoid the long table wait.

I also vaped at a booth at a TGI Friday's across from a young girl who appeared 2 or 3 and other who appeared 5 or 6. The only "look" I got was from a woman sitting behind us, but it wasn't really all that negative. She just seemed bored.

paleocon12111971

Feb 28, 2013
Chicago, IL

Wouldn't you rather your kids vaping than smoking?

Just saying.......

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
I grew up in a constant fog of smoke, in those days everyone did it. I started smoking at a young age and continued for 48 years. I take no meds eat healthy and have relatively few problems. All my friends that do not smoke are on cholesterol/blood pressure meds that cost a fortune. I can not see how the vapor off a heated coil can do that much damage. I personally think there is a benefit to nicotene that has not been found or realized at this point.

paleocon12111971

Feb 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
I grew up in a constant fog of smoke, in those days everyone did it. I started smoking at a young age and continued for 48 years. I take no meds eat healthy and have relatively few problems. All my friends that do not smoke are on cholesterol/blood pressure meds that cost a fortune. I can not see how the vapor off a heated coil can do that much damage. I personally think there is a benefit to nicotene that has not been found or realized at this point.

Honestly, I even question the studies done on Secondhand Smoke. My parents, aunts, and uncles, and many of my friends parents, aunts, and uncles all grew up in smoke-filled homes, yet none of them have a respiratory/pulmonary condition, at least not a severe, noticeable one anyway. I actually have slight asthma and neither of my parents smoked when I was growing up.

S8 ESX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire UK
I did not smoke in the house in front of my children except in my office, away from the children. or I would smoke out side only, if they were about. I vape in the same way, as I don't really want them to think that the habit is ok for them to start. I think its a case of, Do as I say not as I do. I know its hypocritical but that's how I feel.

sonya818

Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
United States
Seems that this line of thinking has become much more prevalent as more people come to the site. I just don't get the whole "don't ever let your child out of their 100% safe and happy bubble, lest they become demons or die of painful diseases". Is that the type of society we're becoming? Have we become such a nanny state that our kids will be programmed from birth to think this way? So, let me do this for my son. I'll have a military gas mask surgically attached to his face, so that he can only breath fresh air, can't eat a hamburger or steak, only liquid diets through the tube in the mask. Then I'll have him castrated, so he doesn't ever get the need that could cause him to get STDs that could shorten his life, and with the lack of testosterone, would live a much longer life as well. Then I'll make sure I brainwash him to never want to drive a car, as he could possibly run into a tree, or be hit by a drunk driver. Oh, and even walking, he could be hit by a drunk driver, so he can only take the subway. Oh wait, subways can crash, or he might meet a horrible person that may take his wallet or attack him for looking funny with his permanently attached gas mask.....I mean seriously. This is what goes through my head when I see extreme over protecting of children. I know they're your children, and you don't want anything to ever happen to them. Just like I don't want anything to happen to mine. But trying to hide everything "bad" that you do because you don't want them to do it is just as crazy as what I said above. Unless you keep your child in your house 24/7, and never let them out for anything, you have no internet, TV, magazines or newspapers, they're going to see things you don't like. Your best protection for your children? Education. Teach them what's right and what's wrong. Don't hide all the wrong things and hope that because they're not exposed to it, they'll only know right things. You made your own decisions, they're going to make theirs. Help them decide what's going to be right for them, don't let them figure it out on their own because you're too embarrassed of yourself to share it with them.

I was formulating response very similar to this as I read through responses to the OP. I responded with the quote because I could only like it once :) A society comprised of overprotected children*shudders*...what a nightmare. Before anyone gets all freaky, I WAS one of those sheltered, overprotected children and at age 42, I am still adjusting to the "real" world.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Personally, I would not vape in front of kids. However, I have seen some parents with their children at the local vape store.

I have not yet, but would absolutely take my son to Vape Rev... I have yet to see/hear a reason not to.

He is 13, I don't know if I'd take a smaller kid... I do know that if a smaller kid is present there... no one seems to stop vaping. Me included.

Last edited:

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
I have an 18 month old too. I don't believe there is anything in the exhaled vapor that can cause lasting damage, but sometimes if I vape heavily in a room it will irritate my wife's throat, and make it more difficult for her to breath. For this reason, I don't vape in the same room or in the car with my son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread