Vaping at a gas station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
But don't sit and try to shove that on those that don't roll that way. We're all social creatures, and we all handle that aspect differently. We all have reasons, our own risk vs reward scenarios to deal with, and none of us are going to handle it the same.

Very well said indeed. That goes for every situation, and for every way of seeing things :)

Dominique Hoogduin

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands, Netherlands
Obviously, you can't smoke analogs at a gas station as that could cause.. well, you know. What about PVs though? I wouldn't think they could ignite the gas, but, I want to hear from you guys on this. If I were to be vaping at a gas station, could the workers there force me to stop? If I didn't, could they deny service, or have me arrested?

Used to be a ban on cell phone usage at gas stops..

Not sure how dangerous it is to have a glowing coil in a gasoline cloud though its inside a device surrounded by juice. but u might give the guys inside a scare when they see some smoke clouds.

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Simple impenetrable wisdom....

Agree and disagree. Agree the wisdom is impenetrable, as in that doesn't mean what you think it does. Disagree it's either simple or wisdom.

"Vaping at a gas station" is such a broad statement that it could mean many different things. It could mean vaping while standing right next to the pump while gas is being dispensed to your car. And unless I've missed something, no one is advocating that. What I've heard many people saying, including myself, is that there's nothing wrong with vaping, or smoking, away from the pumps.

Most gas stations here are huge affairs. Most have large convenience stores, with the pumps being enough of a distance away to make some of the anti arguments here meaningless. People routinely smoke cigarettes outside of these places. They have outside ashtrays there for crying out loud! I've yet to see anyone "freaking out" when someone is smoking a cigarette away from the pumps. They make millions of dollars selling cigarettes at these places.

It's no big deal people! As long as you're not actually smoking or vaping while holding the gas nozzle, or standing right next to it, no one is going to care. At least here in Texas.

best regards, larry mac

best regards, larry mac

charlieS

Oct 7, 2013
N. California
seriously now ... why would you want to vape at a gas station?

Same answer a cop told me when I was asked, "what is your reason for owning a firearm?" I told him, "For self defense." He told me, "NO...that's the wrong answer...the RIGHT answer is BECAUSE YOU CAN. This is the United States of America. It is your RIGHT." Go figure...a cop schooling me on the Constitution. He's right.

You do things that are safe and legal because you can.

charlieS

Oct 7, 2013
N. California
ANYwhere that is private property, you can be forced to stop, denied service, or arrested for not complying.

Not true. You can be asked to leave. If you refuse, the business owner can call the police and have you charged with trespassing. No one can lay a hand on you or force you to do anything unless they are a law enforcement officer. If they do touch you, they have assaulted you...and that is a felony.

charlieS

Oct 7, 2013
N. California
I hear you patkin.

Sometimes I read things in threads like this and just Shake my Head. It seems like some people can't get from the Cab to the Curb without Taking a Hit off an e-Cigarette.

I wouldn't really vape while pumping gas. I think the point is (for me anyway) that government and the purposely uninformed have screwed this country up dramatically. One right, one freedom at a time is being stripped away. People are so afraid of what the idiots in our society think that they feel they have to "hide" what they do AND what they think. Why should anyone NOT be able to vape a hit or two between the cab and the door of a restaurant? 10 feet from the cab to the door...why not? Freedom is only freedom when you exercise it. Pick whatever Amendment to the Constitution you like...if you exercise the rights given to you, legally and responsibly, you are an example of what this nation's founders had in mind; if you do not exercise your rights? That is what the government hopes for.

I read threads in various forums and, as you said, "shake my head"...people so easily willing to allow their lives to be controlled and oppressed. We have become a nation of submissives.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I wouldn't really vape while pumping gas. I think the point is (for me anyway) that government and the purposely uninformed have screwed this country up dramatically. One right, one freedom at a time is being stripped away. People are so afraid of what the idiots in our society think that they feel they have to "hide" what they do AND what they think. Why should anyone NOT be able to vape a hit or two between the cab and the door of a restaurant? 10 feet from the cab to the door...why not? Freedom is only freedom when you exercise it. Pick whatever Amendment to the Constitution you like...if you exercise the rights given to you, legally and responsibly, you are an example of what this nation's founders had in mind; if you do not exercise your rights? That is what the government hopes for.

I read threads in various forums and, as you said, "shake my head"...people so easily willing to allow their lives to be controlled and oppressed. We have become a nation of submissives.

I just don't see Vaping at a Gas Station as a Constitutional Issue. It's more about having a Little Consideration for the People around you.

It keeps getting back to Why someone Can't Go 5 Minutes Without taking a Hit off an e-Cigarette? Are Some People so Dependent on the Hand to Mouth Ritual or So Addicted to Nicotine that they have to have a PV Duct Tapped to their Hand 24-7?

jdevlin

Sep 4, 2013
Victoria BC
The heating element of a PV is most definitely hot enough to ignite gas vapors. But the E-Juice keeps the actual Nichrome / Kanthal from being exposed to open air so I would say its pretty safe to vape at a gas station. I would however be worried if the tank was nearing empty and the Nichrome / Kanthal were to glow nice and bright orange (like dry burning to clean a coil). If I worked at a gas station I would probably politely ask that people don't use them just to be 100% sure that nothing can come of it.

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
Was a gas jockey back in the late 70's-early 80's before self-serve made it's way into PA, it was common to see us smoking and pumping gas. At one station, the boss - who was a heavy smoker - used to freak people out when they'd complain. He'd put a bucket of gas on the floor and say "Watch this" as he'd proceed to flick a lit smoke into the bucket. After they got done running away, they'd come back to see that all that happened was the cigarette was extinguished by the liquid fuel. We did this MANY times.

ArtyPa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Delaware
Come on folks ...Really ?
With rights comes responsibility. Do you think vaping at a gas pump is the 'smart' thing to do.
Vaping has enough public image problems without freaking out the general non- vaping public.
It's one thing to assert your rights...it's quite another to be a walking example of an irresponsible .....$$.
We vapers are trying to win hearts & minds. Don't make it more of an uphill battle.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Maybe it's me, but I don't vape when I'm at a Gas Station.

I know all it would do is Freak People Out. And why do I want to go out of my way to Freak People Out?

I don't think it's really an issue of "going out of your way to freak people"... I mean, I would not vape at a gas station, while pumping gas, ON PURPOSE to freak people... "I'm not even in the mood for vaping right now, but let me just prank that old lady over there"... not going to happen. :)

On the other hand, if I'm waiting for my turn, inside my car, and the wait becomes too long, I will hapilly vape. Sometimes, I will have the windows rolled down, and 'fog' will show outside. Will that freak people? I do not think so, even because some other people will be probably SMOKING in those very same circunstances.

It's the same as those 'cell-phone warnings'. They tell you not to use it while pumping gas only. I would'nt refrain from using mine while waiting in my car. An there's also a battery in there... :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't think it's really an issue of "going out of your way to freak people"... I mean, I would not vape at a gas station, while pumping gas, ON PURPOSE to freak people... "I'm not even in the mood for vaping right now, but let me just prank that old lady over there"... not going to happen. :)

Not saying that you Would.

But if you Know that some people are going to be Freaked Out when they see what they think is "Smoke" coming out of Someone's Mouth, why would a person vape at a Gas Station?

I mean if this was some Long Wait (like 30 Minutes - LOL) I could kinda see it. Some people can't go a Long Time (like 30 Minutes) without taking a Hit of an e-Cigarette.

But How Long does it take to Fill Up a Car with Gasoline?

TheRac25

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
The tax farm known as USA.
they dont want you smoking at the pump because some fool will be using his lighter, its not that a lit cigarette can ignite gasoline like the movies.

likewise i can see arcing in switches when vaping being a reason to not allow it at the pump

eta, a cig could theoretically ignite something else that burns hotter and in turn could ignite gas
also what does this have to do with law, im pretty sure this is a condition placed on you by the business when doing business with them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread