Vaping at a gas station

Status
Not open for further replies.

DianeS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
Slower Lower DE, USA
I know that gas stations here in DE & eastern shore MD/VA have those lil stickers that say no smoking no cell phone usage near the pumps.

And for some, the hand to mouth addiction can be strong, that's why some people suggest to smokers coming off the habit take up gum chewing, sucking on hard candies, & why some smokers gain weight because they sub in foods or sweets to replace that addiction. So yes, you could say some people cant go 5 secs without that hand movement, its because their brains have gotten so used to the habit.

Now mind you, I am not a medical doctor, so your doctor may say differently. IOW, YMMV

And yes, I know my rights are being stripped away a bit by bit here in the USA & no I do not appreciate it.

I'm not talking about stepping out of my car and vaping it up while pumping gas, obviously. That would just be stupid. I'm talking about pulling up, and still vaping, window down, and someone happens to see and gets paranoid.

The chances of igniting gasoline vapor from your PV are about the same as igniting it with your car radio or your cell phone. Gasoline is not nearly as easy to ignite as is generally advertised, but that hyperbole is warranted, as people tend to stupidly ignore warnings leave any wiggle room for personal decision-making. It's all about being safe in lieu of being sorry. No well-adjusted adult has much of a sense of humor about gasoline explosions at gas stations.

For further reading see: cell phone hysteria and mythbusters

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Heh, I've STILL seen people pump gas while smoking a cigarette.

As a New Jersey resident though (now), I don't pump my own gas, and so, as courtesy to my gas station attendant, I don't vape while he's fillin' me up. I probably could, and I'd probably get a strange look or a question or two, but it's just easier to avoid it. I can wait a few minutes.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

As a New Jersey resident though (now), I don't pump my own gas, and so, as courtesy to my gas station attendant, I don't vape while he's fillin' me up. I probably could, and I'd probably get a strange look or a question or two, but it's just easier to avoid it. I can wait a few minutes.

I think this is Really what it All Gets Down To.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA

Are you still not allowed to pump your own gas in Jersey? The segment The Daily Show did about that was one of the funniest things in the history of western civilization, with the industry lobbyist guy saying (in complete seriousness) that you can't let people pump their own gas because they might be eaten by wild dogs.

If anyone hasn't seen it before: Pump My Ride - The Daily Show - Video Clip | Comedy Central

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Are you still not allowed to pump your own gas in Jersey? The segment The Daily Show did about that was one of the funniest things in the history of western civilization, with the industry lobbyist guy saying (in complete seriousness) that you can't let people pump their own gas because they might be eaten by wild dogs.

If anyone hasn't seen it before: Pump My Ride - The Daily Show - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Loooool! That's great, I hadn't seen that. And yeah, you still can't LEGALLY pump your own gas in New Jersey. As a former New York resident, that really threw me off the first few times I tried to get gas in Jersey. I'd step out of my car and start looking to use the machine and then the guy would be like, "Hey!" and I'd remember what state I was in. (Inebriated. No, I kid.)

It's kinda nice though, if I want to grab a beverage from 7/11 or whatever, I can tell the guy to "fill 'er up with regular" and then run and grab my drink, coming back to a fully-gassed car.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Loooool! That's great, I hadn't seen that. And yeah, you still can't LEGALLY pump your own gas in New Jersey. As a former New York resident, that really threw me off the first few times I tried to get gas in Jersey. I'd step out of my car and start looking to use the machine and then the guy would be like, "Hey!" and I'd remember what state I was in. (Inebriated. No, I kid.)

It's kinda nice though, if I want to grab a beverage from 7/11 or whatever, I can tell the guy to "fill 'er up with regular" and then run and grab my drink, coming back to a fully-gassed car.

Remind me to never move to New Jersey then. For some reason I keep ending up with cars that have defective stop valves, which means every new person who pumps my gas requires instructions if I want more than a couple gallons of gas :glare: I'd much rather just do it myself...

TomGeorge

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Buffalo/Rochester
two things:

I am not sure where some of you are living, as you have not stated where, but I would suggest moving since everyone around you seems to be very "militant" as it was put earlier, about their beliefs. I would not want to live somewhere, where I would be in constant fear of offending someone. Being courteous is different than not doing something out of fear.

we all have addictions. why would you look down on someone else if theirs is a stronger one than your. It doesn't even have to be that, What if you had a really bad day, or a really good day and just want to relax and vape on your drive home but need to stop for gas.

How can you live your life in constant fear of how others perceive you. Life can not be lived trying not to impede on others. Im not saying be a .... about it but dont handcuff yourself over a dirty look that may or may not come your way.

PS I have never seen someone running away from a gas station or even giving a dirty look to me or anyone else because I was smoking or vaping while pumping. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen it.

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
I vape at gas stations while pumping gas only because I am traveling with my family and they don't like me vaping in the car. When I smoked I waited until I was finished and pulled over the the parking area and smoked while they were in the store buying who knows what. Now that I don't smoke I vape while I pump gas. I see no harm in it. I don't think a box mod with a black dripper on top can be confused as a cigarette. Thats just me.

quinngia

Moved On
Sep 8, 2014
New York
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread