Status
Not open for further replies.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Vaporizer is a pretty poor name but e-cig is worse, you wonder why we can't separate traditional smoking with e-cigs? Start dissecting the name itself, that said smoking or vaping in doors should be handled on a case by case basis. The two have nothing to do with each other in terms that there might be places where you can vape but cannot smoke or maybe even vise versa, but you should always follow the rules of the establishment.

vape0351

Verified Member
Nov 24, 2015
Brooklyn
Most places in NYC would just give you the boot.
Not necessarily. I work security at a popular brooklyn nightclub, never kicked anyone out for vaping even though technically I would be in the right. I used to ask them to stop and take it to the smoking area but now that I'm in the hobby I don't even do that anymore.
When I asked the head of security what to do with a situation like that he shrugged and said "nothing unless they're vaping something besides nicotine"

Reactions: Atchafalaya

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I just don't vape indoors at public places (with the exception of a vape lounge)... period. Unless there is a sign that says "E-Cigs Allowed", if I need to have a vape, I step outside into the designated smoking area and vape. I do that for multiple reasons. I get asked a lot what it is I'm doing by the cigarette smokers while I'm outside vaping and I answer their questions. Second, I don't know who will look oddly or find me rude for vaping indoors - as we need to be cautious and wary of that. And although most flavors I vape may not be offensive to some, it may be offensive to others. As I vape mostly desserts (custards, creams, and a little fruit), citrus flavors, cinnamons, and from time to time... tobacco flavors. I also pack a setup that's small and doesn't generate huge clouds because I'm not going to a cloud competition, I'm going to a bar, a pool hall, a bowling alley, a diner, etc. And I'd rather NOT set the example that ALL vapers are cloud chasers.

CleoPhoenix

Verified Member
Dec 2, 2015
Birmingham, AL
I also pack a setup that's small and doesn't generate huge clouds because I'm not going to a cloud competition, I'm going to a bar, a pool hall, a bowling alley, a diner, etc. And I'd rather NOT set the example that ALL vapers are cloud chasers.

Agreed, and I don't care for the extra attention. The clouds shall roll in less public areas though. :)

Konstantinos Voultsos

Nov 30, 2015
Greece
Most places in NYC would just give you the boot.
My parents visited NYC last January and were surprised at the tiny amount of people they saw smoking. They were astonished to see NONE vaping. Have laws been enforced there that ban vaping indoors in all places there? That is as I am planning to visit NYC come January.

I live in Greece and the legislation here is from hazy to non-existent. This covers smoking, as you will find people smoking in bars,cafes,clubs and our very own Bouzoukia (big clubs with exclusively live greek pop/folk? music), where after a visit there, even yor underwear will stink of cigarette smoke. So yeah, vaping is permitted everywhere :p

Reactions: Jman8

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Agreed, and I don't care for the extra attention. The clouds shall roll in less public areas though. :)

Oh hell yes! In the privacy of my own vehicle - I'll vape box the hell out of it. Or at home in my office - I'll throw atomic clouds all over the place. Anywhere else though... not likely to see me do it.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
My parents visited NYC last January and were surprised at the tiny amount of people they saw smoking. They were astonished to see NONE vaping. Have laws been enforced there that ban vaping indoors in all places there? That is as I am planning to visit NYC come January.

I live in Greece and the legislation here is from hazy to non-existent. This covers smoking, as you will find people smoking in bars,cafes,clubs and our very own Bouzoukia (big clubs with exclusively live greek pop/folk? music), where after a visit there, even yor underwear will stink of cigarette smoke. So yeah, vaping is permitted everywhere :p
You are not allowed to vape anywhere you can't smoke ( indoors, and city and state owned parks and beaches ). Enforcement is uneven. I have never heard of any vaper told to stop vaping on the beaches or parks. Individual bar and restaurant owners and managers have asked me to stop vaping on occasion though.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Most places in NYC would NOT give you the boot.

Fixed that for you trust me alot of places encourage and embrace it, good business is good business.
Up until recently i played in an amateur pool league twice a week in different bars and pool halls. In my experience it is very close to 50/50, the number of places that enforce the law. It depends on a number of factors including how much vapor you exhale, ventilation, other patrons complaining, the individual manager in charge etc ...

BobbyGWurd

Nov 13, 2015
Calgary, Canada
I vape mostly in my car, at home, and at work. Fri was my b day so we had dinner and a few drinks at a local bar with about 10 friends. 3 others and myself vape. I am pretty new to vaping and for some strange reason feel hesitant about vaping in public. After our drinks were served and the waiter noticed we were using pv's we were asked to move to a corner table so as not to bother anyone else. We gladly did to avoid any problems but I felt a little discouraged. Why do the people that chose to quit smoking have to hide in the corner while 20 or so people stand right in front of the door smoking with plumes of smoke trailing behind them as they walk back in? Our vapor was hardly noticable.

To sum this up I'm proud I've been cig free for a short time. After this experience I don't feel like an outcast vaping in public. Anyone been asked to move seating?

When the law was by-law was passed in my city banning vaping from the same places smoking is banned (including in bars), it was done so because many people found it to be a "nuisance." As much as I'm behind vaping and how it has saved me from analogs, I can understand why. Some juices are kinda stinky, especially if you aren't the one vaping them. Also, the general public is still mostly unsure what is in those vape clouds.

I know this isn't exactly what you were talking about, but maybe it adds a little insight to what business owners might be thinking.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Why do the people that chose to quit smoking have to hide in the corner while 20 or so people stand right in front of the door smoking

Because the smokers are smoking outside.

Would you have felt better if the owner asked you to go outside to vape?

I think it was incredibly nice of them to allow you to remain indoors, on a special occassion for you, and continue to vape. Most restaurants wouldn't have been so accommodating, actually.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Vaporizer is a pretty poor name but e-cig is worse, you wonder why we can't separate traditional smoking with e-cigs? Start dissecting the name itself

No, start dissecting the vast amount of damage the anti-smoking campaigners did for 20+ years.

Every place they made it their "purpose in life" to make sure nobody could smoke even in outdoor areas, or even in their own apartments, is just following us.

It wouldn't matter what you called these, PVs, vaporizers, ecigs, etc. It looks like smoking,

OR the smell/flavorings may give somebody a headache (that's all it took for some of the most rabid anti smoking campaigners to decide to make the world "safe" from cig smoke).

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
My parents visited NYC last January and were surprised at the tiny amount of people they saw smoking. They were astonished to see NONE vaping.

When you are in areas where most people gave up smoking a long time ago, they are probably not going to be vaping because they are not trying to quit smoking.

The majority of vapers I believe are still those trying to switch to vaping from cigs, pipes, cigars, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread