Vaping at college

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexfeetham

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
So the college I currently attend does not allow vaping inside which I respect (doesn't stop me from having the occasional stealth vape =P). However all the smokers are told to go into a smoking shelter which I choose not to as i'm not going to go stand around usually 5-10 smokers and come out stinking of cigarettes.

Usually I just stand outside off to the side and vape, I don't blow huge clouds and I'm generally courteous. No one has bothered me so far until last week, now usually the security guards come outside and usher the smokers off to the smoking shelter and none of them has ever told me to do so and they have seen me vaping. So last week a security guard came out and told me to go to the smokers shelter to which i replied "sorry but i'm not a smoker". This spanned an argument about how I was smoking and how e-cigs are no different to smoking a cigarette. Anyone ever encountered this?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
This is very common now in all places where vaping is banned and/or considered the same as smoking.

If you want to pursue this, you might take some literature to the decision makers at your college, and see if you can make a dent, i.e. at LEAST have a shelter put up for vapers so they don't have to stand w/the smokers.

If you can find other vapers maybe you can have a fund raiser to erect the shelter if admin is not cooperative. (out where I live, you can put up 4 poles, cement into ground, some 2x6 roof joists + a slant metal roof for way less than $500.......on college property it would probably require a licensed contractor and $3,000+ :) ).

OTOH, you can argue that if they are giving smokers a shelter then they can certainly give one to vapers.

(next of course, we'll have to put up "privacy shelters" for nursing mothers on campus, etc. since everyone these days wants to be a special protected class.....so you see where this is going, right?)

However, most colleges and hospitals get federal and state grant monies, and I doubt very much they are going to put vaping ahead of that.

I truly feel that eventually, all this will settle out as we learn more about the safety of vaping, but I'm gonna give that at least a decade to happen.:facepalm:

You may want to stealth vape and when not vaping pursue some other form of harm reduction like SNUS, patches, lozenges, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: redrebel821

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
My girlfriend just graduated from Oberlin College in OH, and in her Senior year they banned all smoking (including vaping) on campus property. No shelters, no sections. The timid students were under the impression that they banned public smoking in the entire town, but I really tested that ordinance a couple weeks ago by vaping my SubTank Plus in public (don't worry... I'm not a ........ so I wasn't blowing clouds if there were people around) and a few Oberlin OH police (not campus police) drove by me without hesitation. So that put an end to that.

While I DO NOT agree with banning smoking in any capacity, the powers at be should at least make the conscious decision to note the major difference with vaping and smoking.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
If neeTrying to get any sort of literature to someone at this college would be pointless. It took them years to get a vending machine for our floor and we still don't have good computers for a games development course. 1366x768 resolution anyone?

PLEASE DoNOT Give up, Give IN.

If need be, think the Pareto Principle and remain"positive">
OK 80% of the time you hear the administration tuning the requests out.
OK, 80%of the pre programmed intellectual rote responses may be "no"
YOu might be the 81st request!
You might be the first time the request registers at an emotional level
(Pareto principle claims the first 4/5ths will be intellectual, the last 5th emotional)
Vape on.

Reactions: redrebel821

FOG clouds

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
I too had a campus security guard come up to me while I was vaping and say "can't you read?" It was a chick (go figure) and a really snarky comment. There was a no smoking sign nearby. I responded politely with "my apologies, I wasn't aware that I was smoking". She got the point, but said that the sign refers to vaping as well. I told her they need to invest in some new signs if that's the case. Then I pimp slapped her.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Oberlin is on one of my daughter college's to visit this summer. It is my least favorite for her to go to. I am still trying to talk her out of it. She won't go to my UK or my wife's OSU.

Still I wasn't quite sure how (in Ohio), they could ban it completely. Generally the rule is 30 ft from an entrance. From their website.. it is no indoor policy which I am not against. Of course they may have not updated their website.

Current Tobacco Policy | Office of Wellness | Oberlin College

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I too had a campus security guard come up to me while I was vaping and say "can't you read?" It was a chick (go figure) and a really snarky comment. There was a no smoking sign nearby. I responded politely with "my apologies, I wasn't aware that I was smoking". She got the point, but said that the sign refers to vaping as well. I told her they need to invest in some new signs if that's the case. Then I pimp slapped her.

Were you wearing a black shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread