Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Why do you continue vaping?
I think I'm going to just stop it all together. I have two impacted wisdom teeth (can't get into the dentist until March) that have been hurting lately after previously not bothering me, and I think it is probably from dry mouth from vaping... maybe causing infection. Sucks because I like it a lot nowadays.

Ya who really cares that PG has antimicrobial properties, and although I haven't been sick (cold/ flu) in almost two years and don't weez myself to sleep anymore, my back has been really bothering me and I think it's probably from dry skin from vaping ........................

Reactions: Nermal

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
diacetyl more than likely.

DR Asp, my chest gets tight and my spirometry test came back a little lower than normal, I only vape 20 mls a day of high VG, do you think I should try and raise the VG level and up my daily use to 30mls @ a higher wattage?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I have experienced the same thing. short of breath fairly easily and my oxygen has been around 94 which gets checked once a month for several hours, always 94 or 95. All this started shortly after I started vaping. I do vape about 20ml a day though and high VG. Its just a down side of vaping for me. BTW I had quit all nicotine for about a year prior to starting vaping.

.........And not once did you decide to hold off or cut back Vaping to see if it made any difference? o_O ....... You actually started out Vaping 20ml/day? :sneaky:

Oakey Dokey.......... :lol::lol::lol:

Op uses an EGO type device and Puffs, not inhales.

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
I did start inhaling a bit, but not like deep lung inhales. Mouth to throat/ a little bit of mouth to lungs. The reason I wasn't super concerned was because about a week ago, after a lot of vaping one night, is when it started with the shortness of breath and chest pain. But when I woke up in the morning I was fine. Again cut back on vaping quite a bit since yesterday and the breathing problems are gone. Pretty certain it is directly related to vaping. I just wonder how vaping is causing it. Oh, the device I am using now is a cheap little drug store cigalike with a refillable tank, which is a lot smoother and doesn't cause coughing like when I was vaping before, which is why I have been doing it so much lately. I have this need to be doing something with my hands all the time... I have dermatillomania and trichotillomania (disorder with obsessively picking skin/ pulling out hairs) that gets really bad when I am sitting still, and I find vaping really helps with that. I also haven't thought once to go buy a pack since I started a couple of weeks ago. Too bad I am reacting badly :(

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Thanks guys. I'll take a vitamin and switch my toothpaste.

I have been ignoring the shortness of breath as a sensitivity to vaping and have been cutting back a bit and thought no big deal. I went to the doctor for something unrelated today and wasnt told my oxygen level until I was handed a slip with my vitals when I was leaving. I didn't look at it until I got home and realized my oxygen was only 94%. I realized in retrospect that is probably why the nurse came in and asked me if I felt lightheaded or faint. Which I did not.

I don't know how much I trust vaping anymore. It contains formaldehyde, yes it is lower level than cigarettes but then again the molecules are bigger and who knows how that affects our lungs. Then there is the diacetyl thing, yes it is a small fraction of the diacetyl in cigarettes but who knows what THAT molecule size is and how it will affect us?

Also, my lungs are not damaged from the pulmonary embolism I had a few years ago.

Where does the formaldehyde come from when your vaping ?

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Where does the formaldehyde come from when your vaping ?
It's a product of atomizing the eliquid, although I have read/heard that it is not really applicable to regular vaping because the conditions under which it was done in the lab were not realistically similar to regular vaping. I have heard mixed things about that. The formaldehyde formed was much less than the formaldehyde in burning cigarettes, but the molecules that were formed in the lab were also larger than the molecules found in burning cigarettes and I don't believe anyone is too sure exactly how that would impact lungs.

There is also the issue of diacetyl in most eliquids, which can cause scarring in the air sacs in the lungs. Again the diacetyl in vaping is a fraction of the diacetyl in burning cigarettes but I wonder about the molecule size and how it may differ. I just am not sure. It is my understanding that when you atomize a substance the chemicals in it can change in the vapor vs. the original substance. There have also been medical reports of vapers getting a form of pneumonia caused by fatty build-up in the lungs from inhaling propylene glycol (McCauley, L., Markin, C., & Hosmer, D. (2012). An Unexpected Consequence of Electronic Cigarette Use. Chest, 141(4): 1110–1113.)

It sucks because I really like vaping but I worry about potential long-term consequences. Vaping hasn't really been around that long for anyone to know the long-term consequences. Don't forget that in the beginning people thought that smoking tobacco was good for your health.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I did start inhaling a bit, but not like deep lung inhales. Mouth to throat/ a little bit of mouth to lungs. The reason I wasn't super concerned was because about a week ago, after a lot of vaping one night, is when it started with the shortness of breath and chest pain. But when I woke up in the morning I was fine. Again cut back on vaping quite a bit since yesterday and the breathing problems are gone. Pretty certain it is directly related to vaping. I just wonder how vaping is causing it. Oh, the device I am using now is a cheap little drug store cigalike with a refillable tank, which is a lot smoother and doesn't cause coughing like when I was vaping before, which is why I have been doing it so much lately. I have this need to be doing something with my hands all the time... I have dermatillomania and trichotillomania (disorder with obsessively picking skin/ pulling out hairs) that gets really bad when I am sitting still, and I find vaping really helps with that. I also haven't thought once to go buy a pack since I started a couple of weeks ago. Too bad I am reacting badly :(

I think - IF - you stop chugging around and Accepting Proven Junk as Fact(possibly causing something-not) and pay attention to YOUR OWN words, you might just come ot the conclusion that Breathing anything other than Pure Thin Air is Disruptive to your Lung Function and you MAY just have an Underlying Condition that Vaping is Revealing.

If you have a Healing Broken Toe and stub a Table end or doorway, does it Break the Toe or simply indicate it is NOT healed through the sharply induced pain?

Maybe you should listen to your Body and stop looking for excuses.:glare:

Reactions: Sirius

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Why do you continue vaping?
I think I'm going to just stop it all together. I have two impacted wisdom teeth (can't get into the dentist until March) that have been hurting lately after previously not bothering me, and I think it is probably from dry mouth from vaping... maybe causing infection. Sucks because I like it a lot nowadays.

Impacted wisdom teeth are often infections waiting to happen. Happened to me a couple months ago. Had to get it removed. If your dentist is anything like mine, all you need from him/her is a referral to a wossname (jaw? oral?) surgeon. Which you shouldn't need to wait/pay for an appointment to get. Or, just google up a clinic with a wossname surgeon and give them a call. Where I live, at least, ordinary dentists usually don't deal with impacted wisdom teeth. Takes a more specialized skill set than just yanking them out like ordinary, more easily available teeth. Anyway... you shouldn't have to wait 3 months to get an infection sorted.

Last edited:

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Impacted wisdom teeth are often infections waiting to happen. Happened to me a couple months ago. Had to get it removed. If your dentist is anything like mine, all you need from him/her is a referral to a wossname (jaw? oral?) surgeon. Which you shouldn't need to wait/pay for an appointment to get. Or, just google up a clinic with a wossname surgeon and give them a call. Where I live, at least, ordinary dentists usually don't deal with impacted wisdom teeth. Takes a more specialized skill set than just yanking them out like ordinary, more easily available teeth. Anyway... you shouldn't have to wait 3 months to get an infection sorted.
I know, I had one before that I had to have pulled, but actually a normal dentist did it. I don't know if the correct term is "impacted", there isn't enough room in my jaw so my wisdom teeth only partially emerge from the gum, which causes infections. It cost me $300 to get it pulled. The other two have just come in in the last year or so, can you believe it I am 27! And they are the same, and I can't afford to pay out of pocket to have them pulled. The infections/pain seem to come and go but the dry mouth from vaping has seemed to make them worse. I have medicaid and the few dentists around me that take it are booked for months, even when i mention the pain and likely infection. I was recently told I could try this health department type place near me that does sliding scale and would probably do it free, gotta do a walk-in at 7 am. If they can't pull them, apparently they will give me a referral to an oral surgeon. I don't know if medicaid covers oral surgeons though, and we are broke as f- right now.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
It's a product of atomizing the eliquid, although I have read/heard that it is not really applicable to regular vaping because the conditions under which it was done in the lab were not realistically similar to regular vaping. I have heard mixed things about that. The formaldehyde formed was much less than the formaldehyde in burning cigarettes, but the molecules that were formed in the lab were also larger than the molecules found in burning cigarettes and I don't believe anyone is too sure exactly how that would impact lungs.

There is also the issue of diacetyl in most eliquids, which can cause scarring in the air sacs in the lungs. Again the diacetyl in vaping is a fraction of the diacetyl in burning cigarettes but I wonder about the molecule size and how it may differ. I just am not sure. It is my understanding that when you atomize a substance the chemicals in it can change in the vapor vs. the original substance. There have also been medical reports of vapers getting a form of pneumonia caused by fatty build-up in the lungs from inhaling propylene glycol (McCauley, L., Markin, C., & Hosmer, D. (2012). An Unexpected Consequence of Electronic Cigarette Use. Chest, 141(4): 1110–1113.)

It sucks because I really like vaping but I worry about potential long-term consequences. Vaping hasn't really been around that long for anyone to know the long-term consequences. Don't forget that in the beginning people thought that smoking tobacco was good for your health.

Where are you getting your study information that formaldehyde is a product of atomizing the eliquid ?
How do you have an understanding of "when you atomize a substance the chemicals in it can change in the vapor vs. the original substance", when you don't even know what creates "it" nor the word for that reaction ?
And now, (well in 2012) we have a 42 yro women with the first diagnosed case of fire-eater's lung, from the glycerin-based oils found in e-cigarette nicotine vapor after 7 months of use, and of course it was confirmed from the juice (or wherever she bought it) manufacture of the purity of the vg they were using, are there different kinds of vg, yes, the petroleum based vg is unrefined, was it a pure USP food grade vg ? you would think that would have made a pretty decent case in the court room as well as a large settlement especially with Wayne Watson wining 7 million that same year just one state away.

Last edited:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I know, I had one before that I had to have pulled, but actually a normal dentist did it. I don't know if the correct term is "impacted", there isn't enough room in my jaw so my wisdom teeth only partially emerge from the gum, which causes infections. It cost me $300 to get it pulled. The other two have just come in in the last year or so, can you believe it I am 27! And they are the same, and I can't afford to pay out of pocket to have them pulled. The infections/pain seem to come and go but the dry mouth from vaping has seemed to make them worse. I have medicaid and the few dentists around me that take it are booked for months, even when i mention the pain and likely infection. I was recently told I could try this health department type place near me that does sliding scale and would probably do it free, gotta do a walk-in at 7 am. If they can't pull them, apparently they will give me a referral to an oral surgeon. I don't know if medicaid covers oral surgeons though, and we are broke as f- right now.

No idea how it works over there, but sucks you have to wait for financial reasons. Hope you get it sorted ASAP. Hopefully you can have it pulled like the other. Had to have mine surgically removed. Wasn't as much emerged as 'exposed' by an infection. :confused: No big deal, but certainly wasn't cheap. Much less unpleasant procedure than expected, at least.

I don't think 27 is "late". Mine started emerging considerably later than that. I asked the assistant who x-rayed me if I was a freak of nature. She insisted some people don't get theirs until they're prepped for dentures at a very advanced age. I still have one that is partially emerged, too. But it hasn't caused me any problems yet. Will probably have it removed "just in case" later this year. Not like it's ever going to fully emerge the way it has collided with the next tooth. Will leave it for a while as I'm not to eager about another soup and yogurt diet :p

As for dry mouth, I found that I don't really get a dry mouth since I switched to veeery low flavoring content. I also suspect some flavorings dries out our mouths more than others. I can feel the "raisin effect" setting in if I add too much flavoring. May be worth experimenting a bit.

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
No idea how it works over there, but sucks you have to wait for financial reasons. Hope you get it sorted ASAP. Hopefully you can have it pulled like the other. Had to have mine surgically removed. Wasn't as much emerged as 'exposed' by an infection. :S No big deal, but certainly wasn't cheap. Much less unpleasant than expected, at least.

I don't think 27 is "late". Mine started emerging considerably later than that. I asked the assistant who x-rayed me if I was a freak of nature. She insisted some people don't get theirs until they're prepped for dentures at a very advanced age. I still have one that is partially emerged, too. But it hasn't caused me any problems yet. Will probably have it removed "just in case" later this year. Not like it's ever going to emerge the way it has collided with the next tooth. Will leave it for a while as I'm not to eager about another soup and yogurt diet :p

As for dry mouth, I found that I don't really get a dry mouth since I switched to veeery low flavoring content. I also suspect some flavorings dries out our mouths more than others. I can feel the "raisin effect" setting in if I add too much flavoring. May be worth experimenting a bit.
What's weird is I have only ever had 3 wisdom teeth.... the bottom right one has never existed in my jaw. My bottom left, the first to come in, had 4 roots. The dentist didn't see them in the x-ray and a couple of them broke off while he was pulling my tooth. He was able to somehow dig them out, apparently. I have a weird mouth. I also wound up with dry socket, and this was all a couple of days before i was in the hospital for pulmonary embolism actually and I didn't have any treatment for the dry socket in the hospital for the first day or two. They gave me a syringe and some saline but it was really hard to flush it out, I was in so much pain and they'd just give me ibuprofen or some other ineffective pain medicine. After the first day or two my parents brought me a curved syringe from the dentist, helped so much. I'm nervous about dry socket when I get these two pulled.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Hi @sincerelysasquatch Ive read all your posts but may have missed one. Has your activity level been the same before and after you started vaping again. I just wonder because I had the same problem as you but I stopped working as a result of an injury. I was sitting on the couch and vaping all the time I wasn't sleeping. I'm not that lazy. It was a bad injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread