Vaping in a "You can't smoke here" world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syav

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2012
Minnesota
Hi. E-cig is becoming more popular here in Minnesota. But I don't know if there's an official law in Minnesota that allows vaping e-cig in non-smoking area. Most of my friends and co-workers are non-smokers and I know the smell of analog cigarette smoke bothers them. When I switch to e-cig and explained to them that e-cig does not create any smoke, they actually gave me positive feedbacks and encouragement on my switch to e-cig :) Now...if only that security guard would react the same way.

briponi

Aug 7, 2012
California
My standard line: "It's not smoke, it's vapor. There's nothing in it that isn't also in food and medicine except nicotine, which carries no more health risks than coffee and has more benefits."

Then, if it's a private residence or business or anywhere smoking would be prohibited: "If you'd still like me to go somewhere else or stop, I'll be happy to. But I want you to know that nothing you know about smoking applies to what I'm doing."

If they tell me where a smoking area is: "No thanks. I don't want to expose myself to second hand smoke. Unlike what they do, what I do doesn't harm anyone and has no effect on anynoe else."

That usually works, but if they ask for details, I have citations stored in my phone and give them a reading list. So far, no one's cared enough to even take the reading list. If the conversation gets that far without them getting huffy, I've already won. If they end it by not caring what I have to say, having a team of scientists with conference presentations ready to defend me wouldn't have changed their outlook.

Nice post, thanks!

Danny632

Aug 10, 2012
Orlando, FL
I would definitely not try it inside a school building. Even if you explain how it's vapor and not smoke, I'd be totally shocked if they accepted that explanation.
I would recommend taking it outside, respectfully away from people just to avoid the hassle. That's what I usually do, just because I don't feel like dealing with people complaining about it or trying to explain the difference between the vapor versus the cigarette combustion.

And yes, check out the "Smoking in Public" Discussions on ECF for technicalities and specifics.
The only buildings I do it inside of are bars, because a lot of people smoke cigarettes in bars (whether it's allowed or not), and the likeliness of anyone saying anything to you is low. No one (in a bar) has ever said a word to me in a negative way, but it has started conversations where I can recommend vapeing to people who are already interested, so that's always nice.

Last edited:

Danny632

Aug 10, 2012
Orlando, FL
My standard line: "It's not smoke, it's vapor. There's nothing in it that isn't also in food and medicine except nicotine, which carries no more health risks than coffee and has more benefits."

Then, if it's a private residence or business or anywhere smoking would be prohibited: "If you'd still like me to go somewhere else or stop, I'll be happy to. But I want you to know that nothing you know about smoking applies to what I'm doing."

If they tell me where a smoking area is: "No thanks. I don't want to expose myself to second hand smoke. Unlike what they do, what I do doesn't harm anyone and has no effect on anynoe else."

That usually works, but if they ask for details, I have citations stored in my phone and give them a reading list. So far, no one's cared enough to even take the reading list. If the conversation gets that far without them getting huffy, I've already won. If they end it by not caring what I have to say, having a team of scientists with conference presentations ready to defend me wouldn't have changed their outlook.

Yes, the thought of reading is enough to scare away most people. haha... jk

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Your entailed to your Opinion wv2win.

If you think the Best thing to do is to Vape in Public Places like Schools, don’t let me stop you.

I never stated that and you know that. I stated to vape openly but respectfully. And there is a significant difference between an elementary school and a college. If a college or work establishment has a written policy against "vaping", then you respect the establishments policies.

But to act and preach as you do that vaping and smoking are the same thing is what those who are actively working to ban vaping everywhere want to see. It validates their arguement that vaping is as dangerours to others as smoking is.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I would definitely not try it inside a school building. Even if you explain how it's vapor and not smoke, I'd be totally shocked if they accepted that explanation. ...

Unfortunately, not all people feel as You do.

We have had a number of Students who have Demanded to be able Vape during Classes. Which Forced the Chancellor / Board of Regents to enact a Campus Wide Ban, excluding Outdoor Parking Lots, of e-Cigarettes.

I don't believe the Ban would have been Campus Wide, only Inside Buildings, if these Vapers had just waited until Class was over and Vaped in an Outside Area.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I never stated that and you know that.

But to act and preach as you do that vaping and smoking are the same thing is what those who are actively working to ban vaping everywhere want to see. It validates their arguement that vaping is as dangerours to others as smoking is.

Well I Never Stated that Vaping was the Same as Smoking so I guess were Even.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Ouch! I would like to chat and share experiences without worrying about the relevancy of my thoughts being judged... of course I am over 50 :drool:

Not a judgement but an acknowledgement of his opinion based on many posts that I don't agree with. I follow and support CASAA and their positions, as the only group who advocates for vaper's rights. There are those who vape and believe the opposite that vaping is the same as smoking and should be viewed that way. Since the FDA, with the urging of groups like ASH, ALA, AHA, etc, have already gone to court twice to have vaping banned, with the position that vaping is as bad as smoking, it doesn't make sense to me that those who vape should also support that position.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

Very well stated!!!! ++++

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
What ever you say wv2win.

I think these threads are better to Read when your Not All Bent.

So I won't argue with you.

I'm not bent, just accurately reflecting the perception that your position presents to the public in general. When someone presents a position that is in line with those actively trying to have vaping banned nationwide, I will present an oppsite position that supports an invention that can save many lives. Unfortunately preception is reality and the struggle to keep vaping from being banned is all too real. It's quite a shame that so few vapers support CASAA. When it is banned and/or significantly restricted, they will have no reason to complain.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm not bent, just accurately reflecting the perception that your position presents to the public in general. When someone presents a position that is in line with those actively trying to have vaping banned nationwide, I will present an oppsite position that supports an invention that can save many lives. Unfortunately preception is reality and the struggle to keep vaping from being banned is all too real. It's quite a shame that so few vapers support CASAA. When it is banned and/or significantly restricted, they will have no reason to complain.

Well you can Perceive My Views on Indoor Vaping Views Anyway you want. And you can Twist Up words and Get Sarcastic about Anything I Post. I don't Really Care

But there is One Thing that you Can Not Do.

And that is to say that I Do Not Monetarily Supported CASAA.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Well you can Perceive My Views on Indoor Vaping Views Anyway you want. And you can Twist Up words and Get Sarcastic about Anything I Post. I don't Really Care

But there is One Thing that you Can Not Do.

And that is to say that I Do Not Monetarily Supported CASAA.

Well, I didn't do any of that, as you well know. I especially never said you personally do not support CASAA monitarily even though you don't agree with their stance that vaping should be accepted openly and not the same as smoking. How would I know if you support CASAA or not since you don't have a banner that encourages others to join and support CASAA?

Bluerooster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
LOL What? I don't hide my vaping from anyone. I don't blow clouds in their face. Im considerate enough to turn my head and exhale. No way they can confuse a Provari for a cigarette, and no way they can confuse the vapor for smoke, when it smells like a raspberry chiller.

While on layover at ORD in Chicago, I was sitting in a pub, about 20 feet from the smoking area, debating on whether to take a hit or not. I caught the faintest whiff of vanilla, and turned to find a guy sitting at a table, reading a news paper, and vaping away. I struck up a conversation, and we discussed the various brand of ecigs, and flavors of juice. all the while vaping up a storm. No-one even gave us a second glance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread