Vaping in a "You can't smoke here" world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebeam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Temple, Ga.
Perhaps there is a Glitch in the ECF?

It's sorta Rare to see a Member from 2009 that Only has 6 Posts. And they were all made Today.

Maybe you can get few more post and give it a Little more time then Try Again?

Yeah I have been a member since 09, Just never posted much, and then feel off the ecig wagon, but I am back. I will be posting more and hopefully making more friends, learning from folks, and helping others with what I have learned. Thanks for trying to send me the link though (whatever it was) H A P P Y V A P I N G !

Good thread, the only part that made me worried was the guy who said that "vap'ing was on the fence of being banned"............ Gosh I hope not. I vap about everywhere except work, smoking outside was the only reason I smoked. I liked getting away from my desk and going outside. Other then that I have had no issues vap'ing openly, some people look at me, and some people ask me what it is but thats about it. Normally if anybody says anything I tell them it has the "same chemicals as an inhaler"... then they just say ok and walk away. I think they assume it's a medical device, and are too stand offish to ask me what i need it lol.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah I have been a member since 09, Just never posted much, and then feel off the ecig wagon, but I am back. I will be posting more and hopefully making more friends, learning from folks, and helping others with what I have learned. Thanks for trying to send me the link though (whatever it was) H A P P Y V A P I N G !

Hope your doing Better and have gotten back on e-Cigs Completely.

BTW - Do you have a Brother Named Jim Beam. LOL

Catharlex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
Indiana, USA
I just thought I'd add another little experience I recently had regarding my own e-cig usage.

Most people are interested in what I'm using and the occasional manager making sure I'm not vaping anything illegal. More inquisitive people than anything else.

However, I did almost get stopped from entering a concert venue on Friday. I had my eGo-C Twist with a Vivi Nova, a backup Twist battery (both 1000mAh) and a bottle of juice with me (just in case I somehow vaped through the entire thing. I was ~3 hours from my house so I was taking no chances) Anywho, before you could get in you had to empty your pockets of everything you had with you and get a pat down.

Not only am I a vaper, but I am a Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic. So not only did I have needles, a meter, and insulin on me; I also have all my vaping supplies on me. Security looked at me like I was pulling out an armada of drugs. They (almost) snatched my Twists and juice before one of policemen they had their recognized what it was, and told them that they couldn't legally confiscate it, since none of it was illegal and would cause no harm to anyone there. After all that, I chatted with the officer and learned he was actually a vaper as well. He pulled out a Provari and we enjoyed a 5 minute vape session before I went inside.

So it was a pretty shaky experience ended up turning into a pretty cool conversation with a random officer who also happened to be a vaper, and the first vaper besides myself and my brother that I had met.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I just thought I'd add another little experience I recently had regarding my own e-cig usage.

Most people are interested in what I'm using and the occasional manager making sure I'm not vaping anything illegal. More inquisitive people than anything else.

However, I did almost get stopped from entering a concert venue on Friday. I had my eGo-C Twist with a Vivi Nova, a backup Twist battery (both 1000mAh) and a bottle of juice with me (just in case I somehow vaped through the entire thing. I was ~3 hours from my house so I was taking no chances) Anywho, before you could get in you had to empty your pockets of everything you had with you and get a pat down.

Not only am I a vaper, but I am a Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic. So not only did I have needles, a meter, and insulin on me; I also have all my vaping supplies on me. Security looked at me like I was pulling out an armada of drugs. They (almost) snatched my Twists and juice before one of policemen they had their recognized what it was, and told them that they couldn't legally confiscate it, since none of it was illegal and would cause no harm to anyone there. After all that, I chatted with the officer and learned he was actually a vaper as well. He pulled out a Povaria and we enjoyed a 5 minute vape session before I went inside.

So it was a pretty shaky experience ended up turning into a pretty cool conversation with a random officer who also happened to be a vaper, and the first vaper besides myself and my brother that I had met.

Thanks for sharing. Good experience. Another good reason why we need to vape openly but respectfully. The more people see vaping NOT in relation to a smoking area and learn that it is not the same, the more acceptance we will gain and the perception that it is safe for those around you will be increased. If we only vape with smokers, then the perception will be it's just another form of smoking which is dangerours.

Catharlex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
Indiana, USA
Thanks for sharing. Good experience. Another good reason why we need to vape openly but respectfully. The more people see vaping NOT in relation to a smoking area and learn that it is not the same, the more acceptance we will gain and the perception that it is safe for those around you will be increased. If we only vape with smokers, then the perception will be it's just another form of smoking which is dangerours.

Yep. I was openly vaping inside the venue and had multiple smokers come up to me and ask me what I was using. I think I pointed at least 10 people towards this website and various online vendors to check out. Heck, after the first security guy tried to stop me from using it inside (and then I had the same cop back me up!) I was in the clear to use it as I pleased. Awesome concert too; Scream It Like You Mean It in Kentucky. It made my night; these things are great conversation starters and I will do anything I can do to inform people about them so they know what they actually do!

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I've had some conversations with people and cops…always vaguely positive, except several of them turn to vaping other things than nicotine…………and it always ends with them wondering why I don't. I suppose not wanting to isn't a good enough answer.

The only thing I have ever experienced like that is when people who use *expletive* ask me why I don't vape *expletive*. I just explain that for one, this isn't that kind of vaporizer(which is another negative connotation some people make), and two, I don't do that stuff.

Never had that come up in normal, civilized conversation however.

Bluerooster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Not only am I a vaper, but I am a Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic. So not only did I have needles, a meter, and insulin on me; I also have all my vaping supplies on me. Security looked at me like I was pulling out an armada of drugs. They (almost) snatched my Twists and juice before one of policemen they had their recognized what it was, and told them that they couldn't legally confiscate it, since none of it was illegal and would cause no harm to anyone there. After all that, I chatted with the officer and learned he was actually a vaper as well. He pulled out a Provari and we enjoyed a 5 minute vape session before I went inside.

I think it's kinda neat, meeting other folks who vape. (by chance)
I was bidding on a job, and the customers sister was there puffin' away on her Blu. I showed her mine, because she was complaining about battery life. My batts last long enough, for me, and I have one on charge all the time.

Last edited:

blueskies

May 17, 2012
Minnesota
Well since I started this thread I should probably let everyone who contributed to this discussion know how it turned out. During my first 2 hour class the instructor said we would take a 5 minute break so he could go smoke. As he was leaving I asked if he had an issue if I vaped in class during the break. He didn't know what vaping is so I explained it to him. He had no problem with it and I think I'm pretty close to converting him and 2 other students to ecigs. The 20 some other students in the class are all aware of what vaping is and have no problem with it either. I do have to say it was pretty funny seeing one students reaction to my big cloud of vapor as he came back into the room from having been out smoking.

As for vaping in other places.... I wouldn't vape any place that I wouldn't have smoked. For instance I wouldn't smoke in an elevator or anyplace that other people would be in an enclosed space, so I wouldn't vape in these places either. I guess even though you breath in other people's breath in everyday life I wouldn't want to see that I am breathing in their breath (vapor). Inhaling what you can see just seems kind of gross. Or inhaling someone's bad breath... not a fan!

In the end it seems that smokers are the most supportive of the ecig. Hopefully that continues. The more smokers we convert the more "the Man" will understand what vaping is and leave us to our vapor!

1lasttime

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
The only experience that I have had is when I went to my class reunion. It was a a bar and my sister was the waitress that night and I hadnt talked to her to tell her that I had quit smoking and that I was vaping. She wanted to see it, so I was showing her, not thinking that anyone would have a problem with it. The bar owner really didnt get it. He stated you arent allowed to vape in the bar that it was against some regulation..... I am pretty sure he continued to think that I was smoking. Some people just really arent going to get it, i think.

lotsoffish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Buffalo, New York
I decided to go back to school. During orientation I stepped outside to vape. I wasn't sure how people would react to vaping inside so I took it outside. The security guard thought I was smoking and came running outside to tell me I was smoking too close to the doors and I had to go around the corner of the building to the smoking section. I tried to explain that I wasn't smoking. He didn't get it.

At work I'm the boss so I can vape when and where I want and not have to worry about it. Does anyone have any advice on how to educate people that there is no such thing as second hand vapor? (at least not that I know of) Does any one just blatantly take out their ecig and vape at work, at school, in restraints or bars? If you do what do you say if confronted by someone? Should I get permission from the school before I give it a try inside, or should I continue to take it outside?

I apologize if there is a thread that already discusses this. If there is I didn't see it. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

The problem is to a layman the vapor appears to be smoke. And it does actually.

Because of this it looks like you are smoking especially from a distance and I think we will often get hassled over this in certain places. I know scientifically it's a completely different animal but other folks don't. Hell, half the Country thinks the Earth is only 6000 years old.

What we need in public places is a special liquid that doesn't produce visible vapor. If we had that nobody would or could complain about anything especially if we had PV's that looked like inhalers or better yet, a bottle of water with a straw (drip tip) sticking out of it. LOL!

Last edited:
I vape in public but try to treat it similarly to smoking, ie keeping the vapor out of peoples faces, and not doing it in class or something like that. Saves me MUCHO time trying to explain what I'm doing is NOT smoking to a hundred people every day. Sometimes I'll just hold the vapor in my lungs long enough almost none comes out my mouth when I breathe out. Don't get me wrong though, its always good to be ready to explain what you're doing to people, to help educate people about this awesome alternative to smoking!

blueskies

May 17, 2012
Minnesota
What we need in public places is a special liquid that doesn't produce visible vapor. If we had that nobody would or could complain about anything especially if we had PV's that looked like inhalers or better yet, a bottle of water with a straw (drip tip) sticking out of it. LOL!

The vapor is my favorite part of the whole ecig experience. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread