Travel and Vaping Vaping in Mexico and Cancun Airport Customs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. As you may know, e-cigs are not legal to import or sell in Mexico. I just started vaping a week ago, bringing 6 months worth of supplies to Mexico via the Cancun airport.

Customs wanted to see what was in my suitcase. All of my vaping stuff, including 500mgs of e-liquid, were in a large envelope. She peeked inside and I told her (in Spanish) it was an electronic cigarette.

Her response?

"Oh, okay."

Badda bing, badda boom. On my way.

That said, my personal feeling is that if you're going to vape somewhere, you better speak the language well enough to explain what it is (asking for someone to translate doesn't count.) And politeness would certainly dictate that you should make every attempt to do it outside, especially if you're in a place where it's unlikely your average person will know what you're doing.

I have read accounts of people vaping in hotel lobbies and restaurants in Cancun and complaining when the management asked them to stop.

I don't mean to sound preachy or holier-than-thou, but if you're an American traveling somewhere like Cancun, there is a reputation that precedes you, and that reputation is one of entitlement, dis-respectfulness and a general attitude that says "The rules don't apply to me because I'm American."

So when you're in public, keep it outside or in a designated smoking area. And if you can't do that, then at least be respectful enough to put it away if someone asks

Last edited:
Glad to see we've got so many people traveling to Mexico!

"Cigarro electronico" would be electronic cigarette. "Vapor de agua" is water vapor. "Nicotina" is nicotine.

No es un cigarro. - It's not a cigarette
Es un cigarro electronico. - It's an electronic cigarette
No produce humo. - It doesn't produce smoke
Produce solo vapor de agua. - It only produces water vapor
Lo tiene nicotina - It has nicotine.

As far as using "vaporizador personal" goes, you better be ready to explain what that means.

Last edited:

db13berry

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
USA
Glad to see we've got so many people traveling to Mexico!

"Cigarro electronico" would be electronic cigarette. "Vapor de agua" is water vapor. "Nicotina" is nicotine.

No es un cigarro. - It's not a cigarette
Es un cigarro electronico. - It's an electronic cigarette
No produce humo. - It doesn't produce smoke
Produce solo vapor de agua. - It only produces water vapor
Lo tiene nicotina - It has nicotine.

As far as using "vaporizador personal" goes, you better be ready to explain what that means.

Ooooh. Thanks for that!

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Yep, I have been a few times to Mexico since I started vaping over 2 years ago, last time was Feb this year. I vaped pretty much everywhere, but then again I do vape everywhere all over the world without problem.

Cancun.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread