Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I use my Reo Mini which is quite stealthy and vape wherever I want. If you exhale the vapor into your sleeve or downward you can vape without really bringing any attention to yourself. If I am in a place where there are lots of children or vaping may cause undue attention (a la McDonalds, Barnes and Noble cafe etc) I usually go outside or to the bathroom. Don't think that little ones understand nor should they have to ask mommy why this woman is "smoking" in the establishment.

JMHO though. I try to respect that people are not aware yet and not cause any discomfort but will vape pretty much any time that I wanna vape.

Yes. God forbid that poor mommy have to explain to her children that steam is not the same as smoke. I wonder what mommy would say when her little darling asked why that man's coffee cup was on fire? Should my hot steak be served cold lest some parent be forced to explain to her child that it's not on fire?

Sorry. I feel no obligation to protect grown adults from answering the questions of their children, or children from asking questions. I feel less obligation to protect parents from having to teach their children the difference between vapor, steam and smoke.

Good Lord! Would you restrict all your public activities only to things children can understand without having to ask their parents questions? Children SHOULD have to ask mommy stuff. They should be encouraged and even forced to ask questions. They should always be in situations where they need to ask questions. How intellectually stunting if it were otherwise?

If you are unaware of something, I'll be glad to enlighten you. But don't expect me modify my behavior for no other reason than to cater to your unawareness. If I did that, I'd only be perpetuating your ignorance and nothing would ever happen to make vaping more socially unremarkable.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I vape everywhere it' not explicitly prohibited or obviously inappropriate, like a funeral home. I've had zero problems. In a restaurant, I may or may not ask first. If I ask, I'll try to ask a manager instead of some server who will go immediately into CYA mode. In a bar, I don't ask. In a theater, I keep my vapor to a minimum so as not to obscure the view of others. In a grocery store I don't ask. In a retail store where I'm going to be spending time, I might or might not vape or I might or might not ask first. It depends on the situation, but I never assume that because smoking is prohibited, vaping is. I'm not smoking and nobody has a legitimate reason to be offended. I don't suffer fools gladly and I don't cater to willfull ignorance or irrationality.

If there are laws against it, they'll be on the state of local level and they'll likely just lump smoking and vaping together. The fight is going on State by State, city by city. CASAA has a lot of info on legislation proposed, passed and defeated that would ban vaping where smoking is not allowed. They have legislative alerts about proposed legislation. Utah was the latest State that went down, AFAIK. Other states dodged the bullet and removed vaping from statewide indoor smoking bans. Some cities have passed anti-vaping laws and some haven't addressed it at all.

My feeliing is that the more you vape in public, the more people will stop confusing vaping and smoking and the more people will realize how stupid these laws are. If you sneak around, vaping in smoking areas, vaping a cigarette look-alike and otherwise acting like a smoker, people will associate vaping and smoking.

I have personally influenced the policies of several bars and restaurants that formerly had no policy on vaping. It is up to us to do this before the anti-nicotine zealots do it for us, either through legislation or their propaganda machine. There's no need to be "in your face" about any of it. But unless the law is already established, we are under no obligation to acquiesce to the demands of every random person who does not know, and is not interested in learning, that vapor is not smoke.

Vape considerately. Demonstrate and educate. That's the only way to immunize the public from the propaganda campaign that's being waged against vaping.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I stopped reading here. Yes we are all entitled to our opinions, but there it is right there. Thats the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me who ever you believe in!
Sailorman and I have taken part in several heated threads on this topic alone and like I said, there is the whole subject in a nutshell. Well done my friend, once again. You need to just copy and paste that little bit of truth.
Vape everywhere folks!!

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
haha, Even I vape a e cigarette, I don't do it in pubic, I mean not all the people know the difference between e cig and tobacco

Maybe it's different in China, but in the U.S., there are many people who are already telling people the difference. They are telling them that there is NO difference. They are telling them that e-cigs are worse than cigarettes, more dangerous than cigarettes. So, either we stop hiding in the shadows, or everything the public knows about e-cigs will be taught to them by the FDA, BP and the anti-nicotine zealots. We will lose by default. It's already happened and it is continuing constantly.

We live in an insulated e-cig friendly world here on ECF. Go to some of the other websites. Google "are e-cigs safe". You will get a tiny peek at the results of a massive disinformation campaign launched by the anti-nicotine zealots. All the propaganda about exploding batteries, DEG in e-juice, anti-freeze, etc. has invaded the minds of people all over this country. If we sit back and try to be low-key about this, we will lose the propaganda war before we even knew it was launched.

Stormlark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2012
Boise
I haven't done much vaping in public yet. When I first got my starter kit, my husband wouldn't even let me do it in the house. I eventually got him to change his mind after proving to him that there was no smell, but he still believes the second-hand vapor could be harmful. When we're at friends' houses, I ask if it's OK to do it indoors and they've all been fine with it, though my husband usually starts talking about the possible dangers, etc.

At my university, I used it outdoors a few times, away from entrances and heavy foot traffic. I had one person come up to me to ask if it was an electronic cigarette and then they offered me their old vaping supplies since they stopped smoking as well as vaping. I turned them down, though.

I checked the smoking restrictions for my city and it specifically states that electronic cigarettes are not prohibited anywhere. My sister works at a bar and says that vaping is very common. The next time I go to a bar, I plan to vape.

The big test is that tomorrow I'm going out to eat followed by a movie. If it wasn't for my husband, I'd stealth vape during the show, but he'd probably have a fit about "secretly putting others at risk." I'm wondering if I should talk to him again to try to convince him that it's safer than he seems to think.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
PG is the main stabilizing agent in asthma inhalers. I went to the movies a few weeks ago and the theatre was packed. My wife and I were forced to sit dead center. I noticed b4 we sat a couple directly behind us and the woman was very pregnant. So, b4 I sat I started to pull my eGo out and said "if you guys see me exhaling its not smoke" and she cut me off and said "oh its fine go right ahead". For 2+ hrs I sat there vaping away and nobody said a word. Now I wasn't blowing clouds of vapor to obscure anybodys view, but I also wasn't hiding either.
My wife was skeptical at first also. After some research she's thrilled. A world renowned cardiologist just did a 2hr power point presentation on the vape teams show. (I'm pretty sure its the v team I always mix the 2 up), and he presented his results of a very indepth study that showed that this stuff is harmless. This is nothing more than a political debate at this point, and we need as many people on our side as possible.

Stormlark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2012
Boise
PG is the main stabilizing agent in asthma inhalers. I went to the movies a few weeks ago and the theatre was packed. My wife and I were forced to sit dead center. I noticed b4 we sat a couple directly behind us and the woman was very pregnant. So, b4 I sat I started to pull my eGo out and said "if you guys see me exhaling its not smoke" and she cut me off and said "oh its fine go right ahead". For 2+ hrs I sat there vaping away and nobody said a word. Now I wasn't blowing clouds of vapor to obscure anybodys view, but I also wasn't hiding either.
My wife was skeptical at first also. After some research she's thrilled. A world renowned cardiologist just did a 2hr power point presentation on the vape teams show. (I'm pretty sure its the v team I always mix the 2 up), and he presented his results of a very indepth study that showed that this stuff is harmless. This is nothing more than a political debate at this point, and we need as many people on our side as possible.

The main problem with convincing my husband is that he believes any study done that proves vaping isn't harmful is funded by e-cig companies or people who support vaping. He's convinced that the FDA is the only unbiased opinion out there and as you may know, the FDA hasn't been very kind to vaping.

So the thing with the parrot? biased. The cardiologist on the vaping show? biased. And the studies that show second-hand vapor is less harmful than second-hand smoke don't prove that it's completely harmless, only less so. Until the FDA releases better studies, I don't think he'll believe that second-hand vapor isn't an issue.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
The main problem with convincing my husband is that he believes any study done that proves vaping isn't harmful is funded by e-cig companies or people who support vaping. He's convinced that the FDA is the only unbiased opinion out there and as you may know, the FDA hasn't been very kind to vaping.

So the thing with the parrot? biased. The cardiologist on the vaping show? biased. And the studies that show second-hand vapor is less harmful than second-hand smoke don't prove that it's completely harmless, only less so. Until the FDA releases better studies, I don't think he'll believe that second-hand vapor isn't an issue.

I've been married for 14 yrs w 4 kids and I would never badmouth anybody, but I will express my opinion. If he believes the FDA is a nonbiased entity then you have a much bigger problem on your hands than e cigs. Not trying to be offensive just my 2 cents. The FDA is a billboard for who ever has the most $.

wow you have just answered the subject of my next thread. thank you. i was worried that something in my vape would affect my tiel and keet since they are so sensitive. that is great news!

as for vaping in public. i havent really had the chance to test that here in illinois yet. i live in a very small area and im sure people would have lots to say about it. but since starting i really havent been anywhere long enough that i would want to vape while in. when i am in that circumstance i will vape and depending on the situation may or may not ask if it is ok. if asked to stop then i will explain what it is and why i am doing it and if they are persistance that i do not do it then i will stop. but i will be sure to educate on the matter no matter what

I'm in Illinois...the most corrupt state ever, I was vaping last night in the otb, had to bet the belmont stakes race then after we left we stopped at a taco bell tried again, had a Niles cop tell me "put that away, " to which I replied I will when im finished and he didnt do anything. Of course I always challenge police on what they say since most cannot tell a chevrolet from a cow.

I asked a friend of mine who is the chief of police in skokie about it, he said there is nothing illegal about it so it would be up to the store manager and or the responding officer if police were called so in my case I will always challenge the police officer who is too stupid not to listen to what I say about it not being smoking. If we continue to accept what the police and government want soon we will be living in a police state.

2GLR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2012
Cedar Rapids
I tend to take the less rebellious approach to this question. In a restaurant I ask my waiter/waitress very politely if I can vape. If they say no it is their decision, no explanations, no arguing. In a store I usually won't vape unless I am stuck there for a long time. In that case I hold the vapor in my mouth for about 5 seconds and then exhale to the floor. If the establishment doesn't approve, their is no reason to get any police involvement. At work, I vape when I am sitting, and try to be courteous, I blow the vapor at my lap, or the floor. People seem to change attitudes when the see the vapor doesn't rise like cigarette smoke.

At home or in my truck, I vape almost non stop. Those are my establishments, and nobody is going to tell me otherwise. My wife's friend went to tell me how bad it was, and I kicked her out of my house without any discussion.

As for the leering glances on the street, I don't pay much attention to them while I am vaping. At 6'4" and 300 pounds, I get awkward glances whether I am vaping or not.

The point I am trying to make, is that in the public eye I think it is important to be respectful of others opinions. I don't argue, or preach about the benefits. People these days like their soap boxes on a flatscreen, and not in person.

byfert

Feb 7, 2012
PA
I vape in public places. At a motorcycle rally I was once vaping inside a tour boat after eating lunch and someone went and brought the fire marshall to talk to me. After seeing that I was vaping and not smoking he told me to have a nice day. I have been told by managers at work that we are a tobacco free environment and I am not alowed to vape at work so now I go into the bathroom.

jaredborden

Moved On
Jun 9, 2012
Panama City
  • Deleted by johnnymaestro
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

NeeseNE

Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
California
I vape everywhere. Stores, restaurants, out in public, etc. No one has ever objected but I will stop if someone ever requests me to.

I have this same approach. I vape whenever where ever, but would gladly stop if anyone were offended. When I'm indoors, on public property, I hold the vapor in long enough to let it dissipate.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I also don't so don't usually go to bars. If I go out for dinner I will speak to the Manager first. In Malls and stores I vape away but not "in your face". I've never had any problems or issues while Vaping on private property. There's a friend's place that I sometimes go and I vape 0 Nic with menthol cuz he "healthaphobic" but understands and supports my Vaping- we met halfway and if I really need a Nic hit I change cartos and go outside. Bottom line is if I'm on private property I respect those rights. Amazing though the amount of interest when they find out I've been analog free for 8+ months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread