• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Vaping in public - where should people draw the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleski

Mar 24, 2012
Sydney
I'm interested in the circumstances people are comfortable vaping? Would you vape under any of these circumstances, and if so, what's your reasoning?

1. a smoker's corner outside an office block
  2. near the doorway in front of the office block, which has a no smoking sign
  3. on a public bus, with no one on it but the driver
  4. in a lift/elevator, alone with just a security camera
  5. sitting in the reading section of a public library

Last edited:

soundasleep

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2011
Mulgrave - VIC - AU
1. Absolutely. Always a great conversation starter to hopefully get another smoker to switch. My only concern is that if I hang around smokers enough I will end up joining them and regreting it.

2. Yep - not smoking so no problems there ;)

3. Bus, train, taxi - just stealth!

4. See above. Although I don't tend to bother stealthing if there is nobody else in the lift. I don't go massive clouds either - there is a nice middle ground ;)

5. Errrrr....probably not. Unless the library allowed for things like coffee I'd be concerned that the smell might be annoying to some people (just like strong perfume or after shave).

Ewunia

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Australia
1. I would vape but as a matter of principle I would not be seen in the "leper's corner". Even when I still smoked I'd rather go for a walk than stand on corners.
2. No problem, but if I had any reason to be in the building I would stealth vape inside.
3. No problem but without big clouds of vapour.
4. As above.
5. As above.

And here are places where I vaped:

1. Inside RTA office.
2. Inside Westfield shopping centre.
3. In the National Gallery cafe in Canberra.
4. On the corridor of a private hospital (I was not a patient).

So you can see that I vape as I please. So far NOBODY ever even noticed my e-cig, like it was invisible. Gives me joy :) BTW my batteries are NOT white with red LED.

Pleski

Mar 24, 2012
Sydney
So far NOBODY ever even noticed my e-cig, like it was invisible. Gives me joy :) BTW my batteries are NOT white with red LED.

LOL. I've become a bit of a stealth vaper myself. People generally only see what they expect to see. There's no smoke without fire... so to speak.

I have had odd looks with one of the less cigarrette-like rigs though. Some people think they're some sort of wicked device. I made a note to myself to carry a cigarette style e-vape for high visibility situations, and keep my beloved eGo rig for more discreet places.

VapingTums

Verified Member
Apr 21, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
1) a smoker's corner outside an office block

Sure, no problems here

2) near the doorway in front of the office block, which has a no smoking sign

Only if I wasn't in anyones way, and more likely to if people were smoking there and not paying attention to the sign

3) on a public bus, with no one on it but the driver

No, I use my ecig as cigarette replacement, so I don't smoke it anywhere where smoking a cigarette would be inappropriate (excluding my own house where I never smoked indoors or in a friends car / house as they know the ecig is harmless

4) in a lift/elevator, alone with just a security camera

As above

5) sitting in the reading section of a public library

As above. Honestly, unless you are horribly addicted to your ecig I see no reason why it can't be put down for later in these situations.

VapingTums

Verified Member
Apr 21, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
1) a smoker's corner outside an office block

Sure, no problems here

2) near the doorway in front of the office block, which has a no smoking sign

Only if I wasn't in anyones way, and more likely to if people were smoking there and not paying attention to the sign

3) on a public bus, with no one on it but the driver

No, I use my ecig as cigarette replacement, so I don't smoke it anywhere where smoking a cigarette would be inappropriate (excluding my own house where I never smoked indoors or in a friends car / house as they know the ecig is harmless

4) in a lift/elevator, alone with just a security camera

As above

5) sitting in the reading section of a public library

As above. Honestly, unless you are horribly addicted to your ecig I see no reason why it can't be put down for later in these situations.

Vaptor

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2012
sydney
I don't vape publicly indors, bus etc. I give people the benefit of the doubt not being able to tell if it's a vapor or smoke or even something on fire (bus scenario). I think that's fair. When asked outside about it I say it's a Personal Vaporiser go Google it. I never say E-cig because 1: it's not a cigarette, 2:people automatically think it's some kind of cigarette anyway and panic. When I say PV they are very interested. They just need to be educated about it.

So far have not had any comments with where I've vaped (in a shopping center, restaurant, hospital). Due to the fact that not many people in Australia know what vaping is they see me puffing away and think it is some kind of medical device (it is a medical device for me to get my nicotine medicine!).

My brother had a situation where he had a guy become abusive for vaping around elderly people in the shopping center but when he explained what it was the individual realised he'd made a big fuss about nothing.

I feel as a "vaper" I should be able to vape where I want. There's next to no smell, no ash, nothing but steam so I should be able to vape where I want when I want without prejudice.

flowerchild

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
In the forest waitakere nz
I vaped in a bar a while ago, it caused alot of interest which was good...bad bit was everybody wanted to try it and I didnt want strangers germs on my pv. My ex hubby took me to hospital for a procedure yesterday he started vapeing but I told him to stop as in NZ I think security would have been called.

I vaped in a bar a while ago, it caused alot of interest which was good...bad bit was everybody wanted to try it and I didnt want strangers germs on my pv. My ex hubby took me to hospital for a procedure yesterday he started vapeing but I told him to stop as in NZ I think security would have been called.

My brothers girlfriend is giving birth as I write this! He promised he'd be vapeing right next to her :p

n2tkd

Dec 8, 2011
Honolulu,Hawaii
Aloha fellow vapors,
Lucky I live in Hawaii. Here vaping has become welcoming by nonsmokers thanks to Volcano's. We have primetime TV ads that are played, so people know about vaping. I vape everywhere at the grocery, mall and restaurants. I've never had anyone come up to me with negative comments. I mostly use a Provari with some sort of tank system (AC9 now) and people just want to know what it is.
If someone did have a problem with my vaping skills, lol, I'd put it away no biggie.
I think we shouldn't hide it, it makes you look guilty...like you're doing something wrong.
Again, lucky I live in Hawaii.
Vape Happy :vapor:

I vape everywhere, i recently got a bus to Mt Hotham and vaped for 6 hours straight. I did not envy the smokers one bit when they rushed off the bus at every stop to quickly char down a dirty analogue.

I have only had one person hassle me and that was at an outdoor coffee shop and the lady was completely ignorant and even after explaining that it wasn't a cigarette she still carried on and said it was the same

Last edited:

Fifthflo

Sep 22, 2012
Australia
I'm interested in the circumstances people are comfortable vaping? Would you vape under any of these circumstances, and if so, what's your reasoning?

1. a smoker's corner outside an office block
  2. near the doorway in front of the office block, which has a no smoking sign
  3. on a public bus, with no one on it but the driver
  4. in a lift/elevator, alone with just a security camera
  5. sitting in the reading section of a public library

1. Yes but I'd stand away from the smokers unless they were my friends
2. Yes, it's not smoking
3. No, unless it was a long bus trip
4. Yes
5. Yes, but on the sly.

Status
Not open for further replies.