Vaping in the Movie Theatre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
I don't vape in movie theaters simply because people don't know what's going on and if someone sees the fog they may mistake it for smoke, and then jump to a bad conclusion. It's not that I would care if anyone thought I were smoking as obviously I am not, but if they though there was a fire I would feel horrible if I caused a panic.

I don't mind when I have to explain at other places, but a movie theater isn't conducive to the spiel. I've tried vaping in theaters, tried to stealth vape, but in the dark, with a lit screen and a projector it just didn't seem to work well and even though no one said anything, I wasn't comfortable doing so.

Just my opinion, YMMV, but I don't vape in theaters simply because of these reasons.

Jag :vapor:

versaden

Apr 22, 2012
Wisconsin
At the very least, if I were to vape in a theatre then I would excuse myself to the bathroom stall for a quick session. Sure beats stepping outside (for 5-7+ minutes), it'll still prove a point, but it also wouldn't inconvenience other patrons whose dollars are just as important as mine.

A quick vape or four and I can be back in action. Sure beats angering my fellow moviegoer.

V.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I can actually remember when you could smoke in movie theaters and even grocery stores.Course I live in Richmond Va, home of Phillip Morris/Altria.Burger King, McDonalds and all fast food places had smoking sections.

Smoking was banned in movie theaters after a patron somewhere, I forget exactly, screamed fire and people got trampled to death.Since its virtually impossible to start a fire with an electronic cigarette I dont see the harm with a little stealth vaping.

hallucinoJEN

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2012
Richmond, VA USA
When I went to see "The Hunger Games" in the theater, I vaped my KR808d-1 while covering the light with my hand and blowing the vapor towards the floor, and a guy asked me to stop smoking because the "smoke" was bothering him. I explained that it was not a cigarette, and he said, "I know, but I can't see the movie." So, I put my KR808d-1 into my pocket, and tried not to use it during the whole movie. When the movie got to the end, I pulled out my KR808d-1 and stealth vaped by blowing the vapor into my jacket. He didn't say anything to me about vaping after that.

I was sitting in the second row from the back. Maybe, I should have sat all the way back. :unsure:

I think I was being more considerate than most people who pull out their cell phones and text their friends during a movie! :mad:

Jen :vapor:

Edited to Add:

When I got home, I found a video on Youtube where a guy was demonstrating how to "stealth" vape. If you hold in the vapor longer, more of the vapor is absorbed. If you inhale twice after the first vape, and than forcefully exhale, no vapor (or very little) vapor should come out. Here is a link to the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZO8opyg14k

Last edited:

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Wichita, KS, United States
When I went to see "The Hunger Games" in the theater, I vaped my KR808d-1 while covering the light with my hand and blowing the vapor towards the floor (...)

The Hunger Games was the first movie I vaped through! I only "lit up" a few times for a few draws, but it made a huge difference- I used to start getting nervous and antsy halfway through every movie I went to, so much so that I preferred just waiting for the DVD to come out. So nice to just take a couple drags and focus on the movie- I can't remember the last time I enjoyed going to the movies so much.

hallucinoJEN

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2012
Richmond, VA USA
It's something my partner does not understand. She asked me why I HAD to vape during the movie when before I started vaping and smoking analogs, I sat through the whole movie without a cigarette and seemed to not have a problem. I tried to explain to her how hard it was to focus about halfway through a movie, and I try very hard to not be agitated even though I want to kick someone's ...., but I don't think she quite understands considering she's never been addicted to smoking analogs. Her father smoked heavily, and later died of a heart attack due to the smoking, so she is a BIG time anti.

I'm not exactly sure if she likes me vaping, but I do know that she prefers me vaping over smoking analogs.

Just wanted to add....I vaped at Wal-Mart and no one had a problem with it! I was vaping on my new Bolt mod, and everyone knew it was a vaporizer and not a cigarette (prolly the biggest thing was that it didn't actually LOOK like an analog :) ). Now, when I drove down to my parent's house for lunch, I pulled up to a stop light and vaped. These 2 girls in the car next to me looked at my PV and started laughing! hahahaha! I don't think they had a clue what the device I was holding was for.....even though I couldn't have a conversation with them, maybe they will go online to see what kind of device I was using???? Who knows? But, at least, people are noticing and hopefully, PVs can be more recognizable the more people vape in public. The more you hide, the less likely people will know that they even exist....and, that, is what causes fear....people fear the unknown.

Jen :vapor:

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I can actually remember when you could smoke in movie theaters and even grocery stores.Course I live in Richmond Va, home of Phillip Morris/Altria.Burger King, McDonalds and all fast food places had smoking sections.

When I was young (in Texas), there pretty much wasn't anyplace you couldn't smoke. A *few* places had non-smoking sections. Most didn't even have that. I have smoked in movie theaters, on airplanes, pretty much everywhere.

I don't go out to movies very often (I think the last one was Star Wars episode III) but if I did, I'd probably stealth vape.

Benla

May 17, 2012
Perth, Australia
Managing a cinema, I think we would ask patrons not to use a PV whilst in their seat. We discourage anything which may block another patrons view, be dangerous to another patron, or cause an unsatisfactory experience for another customer.

I agree with what someone else said, if I was sat a few rows behind someone who kept shooting vapour into the air every couple of seconds, and it blocked or got in the way of the screen, id be peeved.
The same as if someone kept waving their hands around in the air every few seconds.

Also, the smell. We always have people trying to take hot food through to the cinema. Could you imagine someone sitting a few seats away from you with a big pile of fish and chips, or KFC, or McDonalds?.. then having to sit next to the smelly greasy package it came in for a further hour or so.

I cant seem to get the hang of stealth vaping, im just not very stealthy lol, but if you can, and you can get away without being noticed. go for it. :)

Last edited:

Pigsticker

Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Dallas
It is all about consideration. As someone mentioned above, the movies are not a good place to educate. My wife and I stealth at movies. She is hesitant to vape anywhere near children, Dr offices, etc (she is a medical professional). I, however, vape openly. Only with knowledge, will acceptance follow. People gasp when I explain that I kicked a 25 year, 2 pack a day habit. My vaping habit is no less acceptable than someone chewing gum IMHO. Share the knowledge! Even if the person is a nonsmoker, someone they care about could benefit from vaping vs smoking. :)

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Personally I agree with not vaping anywhere that analog smoking is prohibited. I always try to be considerate of others and if there is a chance my vaping will bother them I don't want to risk it.
My main concern is this type of thing, vaping in theaters and other public places analog smoking is banned, will just give those who are pushing for ecig bans more fuel for their cause. Just trying to think of the long term effects of my vaping habits in hopes that my right to vape will not be taken away. Grouping ecigs in with analogs and banning them has already begun (two states already and the latest South Bend, Indiana Call to Action!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread