• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Vaping is a drug....????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Hi all,

Been clean and sober 25 years. Smoked the whole time, and drank copious amounts of coffee the whole. So I am not one those who says you must give up ALL "drugs" like caffeine and nicotine.

I do see the obsessive and compulsive nature of my disease surfacing in this whole vape thing though. Acquiring all the paraphernalia, keeping plenty of stock, and vaping hard, participating in this forum, etc, etc.

So far I have justified it as:
  • I am not smoking tobacco anymore, ie harm reduction
  • It is not making my life unmanageable

I guess that just seeing some of those same old traits resurface has given me pause... :confused:

What say you all?

Mike

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
I think whatever keeps you off the cigs is great and keep at it. Nicotine has shown to have many potential positive effects on the body and mind. I wouldn't consider it a problem unless you can't pay your light bill because you buy so much vape gear. I'm not one to have an "addictive personality" but I find myself, just like you, stocking up on all kinds of things vape related that I dont really NEED, just WANT. I've participated in this forum more than any other I've joined.

I've found what has worked best for me as far as staying in budget is that I have set my weekly (or monthly, however you want to do it) budget =< my cost of cigarettes/week. So for example, if I smoked on average 10/pk week of cigarettes at $4.50/pack plus a few lighters here and there I'd be in for $50/week so as long as I'm not spending more than that, I call it good :D And honestly, at a budget of $200/mo that buys me all the vape gear and juice I need and then some. I have found that since I've found my "All Day Vapes" my spending has gone down drastically because I'm not always buying something I'm hoping is going to be better than what I've already got. Same for juice, I'm not wasting money on samples, juice I dont like etc that will never be vaped.

Last edited:

Tugg n chase

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
South Jersey
So glad I found this forum. I definitely still have those wonderful obsessive tendencies. Love to go full bore when I find something new (especially if it means I get new toys), but I also have a little adult A.D.D. So I imagine that this obsession will continue to be a hobby, but will mellow when my next new obsession arrives. As long as I don't pick up, and I'm not smoking it's been a good day.

spegtoast

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2013
NW Ohio
My alcohol problem is a stand alone issue. Always will be. It's what causes problems privatly and socialy. That's why I have addressed it and attend meetings etc..

There are alot of people with much better lives by giving up the insanity of alcohol, and still take there meds prescribed by a doctor, or smoke, or have eating disoreders. If vaping becomes an issue like divorse or getting fired from my job I would address it, but outside of aa.

Hi all,

Been clean and sober 25 years. Smoked the whole time, and drank copious amounts of coffee the whole. So I am not one those who says you must give up ALL "drugs" like caffeine and nicotine.

I do see the obsessive and compulsive nature of my disease surfacing in this whole vape thing though. Acquiring all the paraphernalia, keeping plenty of stock, and vaping hard, participating in this forum, etc, etc.

So far I have justified it as:
  • I am not smoking tobacco anymore, ie harm reduction
  • It is not making my life unmanageable

I guess that just seeing some of those same old traits resurface has given me pause... :confused:

What say you all?

Mike

HI Mike, For what it's worth, been sober for 23, lots of cigs and coffee the whole way, and I'm happy to finally make a go at quitting smoking, as it's not something I ever thought would happen. Remember when meetings were a huge cloud of smoke? Ah the good old days:) Anyhow, I don't see how this is a risk for my sobriety. Enjoy the vaping my man!

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
HI Mike, For what it's worth, been sober for 23, lots of cigs and coffee the whole way, and I'm happy to finally make a go at quitting smoking, as it's not something I ever thought would happen. Remember when meetings were a huge cloud of smoke? Ah the good old days:) Anyhow, I don't see how this is a risk for my sobriety. Enjoy the vaping my man!

Hehehe OMG yes, I do remember those days, thats been a while.
A huge smoke filled room, really lousy coffee, and learning how to have fun again sober.......

That for the memory awakening.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Hi all,

Mike, There are some hard-core purists in the "recovery" world and even in the Medical field, that do not make a distinction between "addiction" and "dependency", and consider them to be the same thing.

They are not.

If your vaping "obsession" is not getting in the way of paying your bills, or is not breaking up your personal relationships, or is not otherwise negatively impacting your life, then how can it be a bad thing?

Sure, some folks get a little obsessive. That sort of behaviour in vaping isn't limited to people in recovery--some of us just dig cool gadgets, and vaping allows us to indulge our interest in strange, new, innovative thing-a-ma-bobs...

So as long as vaping isnt' screwing up your finances, job, or personal relationships, or health, then I say "good on ya". If you know you have the propensity to move toward the negative side of obsessive behavior, keep an eye on yourself. You are clean and sober now, so your judgement is sharp and you have NO EXCUSES.

You are a big boy, and I have faith in you to make the right decisions, keep on an even keel, and maintain a healthy and beneficial vaping lifestyle!

Vape on, dude...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread