Vaping is harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Totally missing the point, besides they still haven't found anything harmful in vaping.

They have it's the levels are so low it's unlikely to cause long term damage. I compare it radiation, cigarettes are the equivalent of the elephant's foot in Chernobyl and vaping is equivalent to a banana. Yea the banana has radiation but the levels are too low to cause you any harm.

Reactions: mikepetro

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
AkiN11, I'm not sure if there is a language barrier or not, but I believe that you are taking "research" and "random comments or published items" and lumping them together. I also think you may be making your decisions based on research "outcomes" without really studying the research and how it was done. Studies showing that vaping at high temperatures MAY produce carcinogens are ongoing, and haven't been published, though there is a researcher who is a member of this forum who is doing this research hence the gigantic thread.

Lots of good came out of that thread, as far as more vapers using Temperature Control or making sure they do not overheat their vapor or chain vape often.

As far as RECENT research, you were given many published sites and papers to look at that show a reasonable reduction of risk for smoking over vaping. They were also not found on reddit and they were more recent than the ones concerning you.

If I smear peanut butter on my couch, it will ruin it (well, to be fair, my toddler did that). If I eat peanut butter it will nourish me.

You are mashing together (conflating really) anything negative you see about vaping and having a freakout. I would be having a freakout about going through 10 ml of juice in an hour. Either you are vaping too much, or you are chain-vaping due to reducing your TOBACCO intake. You may need a higher nicotine level, but "film" on "glass" that needs to be washed out happens when I drink chocolate milk. I do not make claims that chocolate milk contains poisons or carcinogens, or whatever else. I say that my thirst is QUENCHED and my glass needs to be RINSED OUT.

If you want to smoke, do so. If you want to vape, start posting questions about HOW not to go through 10 ml of E-Juice in an hour, and start learning about how to vape as safely as possible.

With all that said, I'm not trying to convince you of anything, but I do think you are having a freakout over the WRONG THINGS. The fact that ejuice is colored and will stick to glass as a liquid has nothing to do with e-juice vapor INSIDE the LUNGS.

That said, if you smoke a lot less than you vape, you MAY be better off smoking, if you are awake 12 hours and vape 10 ml per hour, that equals 120 ml, which is more than most people go through in a MONTH. Unless they are trick vapers or sub0hmers who are just going crayzee with it. Which is not necessary.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Anna

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Totally missing the point, besides they still haven't found anything harmful in vaping.

Yes, harmful things have been proven, but most of what I have seen comes from the more extreme styles of vaping.

Flavorings are getting a lot of attention as well, fortunately the concentrations in ejuice tend to be fairly low. Everybody touts "GRAS" but none of these flavors were developed, or tested as safe, for inhaling.

University of Cambridge Cancer Institute:

"We also know that different users use different devices and liquids. So it could be that some are safer or more harmful than others. And people also use the devices in different ways. So further work needs to be done to understand these differences, so that each vaper is using their device as safely as possible."

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
I don't care about data anymore. I'm a walking, talking, breathing clinical trial. Smoked for 31 years. Been vaping (only - I gave up cigarettes completely) for 6 years. Stairs, long bike rides, my doctor, all tell me my lungs are now vastly improved over where they were before I vaped.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I don't care about data anymore. I'm a walking, talking, breathing clinical trial. Smoked for 31 years. Been vaping (only - I gave up cigarettes completely) for 6 years. Stairs, long bike rides, my doctor, all tell me my lungs are now vastly improved over where they were before I vaped.

Now your experience is anecdotal which is actually Latin for “I cannot challenge what you say because it is too unpleasant to admit, so I will just call it a name and hope no one notices the difference.”

Congratulations and we share an anecdotal experience.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
They have it's the levels are so low it's unlikely to cause long term damage. I compare it radiation, cigarettes are the equivalent of the elephant's foot in Chernobyl and vaping is equivalent to a banana. Yea the banana has radiation but the levels are too low to cause you any harm.
Exactly, thus why I pointed out "air". Anywhere you go you're breathing in dust, pollen, and numerous other contaminates. Hell walk into a commercial kitchen or even just someone cooking at home. Actual legitimate studies have shown Vaping is no more harmful than breathing regular air outside.

It's the "levels".

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Yes, harmful things have been proven, but most of what I have seen comes from the more extreme styles of vaping.

Flavorings are getting a lot of attention as well, fortunately the concentrations in ejuice tend to be fairly low. Everybody touts "GRAS" but none of these flavors were developed, or tested as safe, for inhaling.

University of Cambridge Cancer Institute:

"We also know that different users use different devices and liquids. So it could be that some are safer or more harmful than others. And people also use the devices in different ways. So further work needs to be done to understand these differences, so that each vaper is using their device as safely as possible."
Guess people stay out of kitchens or anyone burning incense. So Buddhist Monks are all coming down with cancer eh?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've known a few Buddhist monks and Indian Whatevers in my time (not to mention Sufi Order Leaders) (what can I say, I'm eclectic). A lot of the Indian Mystics do all their ablutions and fasting and whatever else, then smoke cigarettes later in the day. The Sufi Master who certain members of my family decided to join used a hookah. When I was talking to him once and he was hookahing away, he invited me to join him which I guess is a great honor? I didn't decline, LOL, but I didn't enjoy it either. I hate hookahs. I knew one Buddhist "monk" (American Born) who stated that once he'd become "non-attached" to cigarettes, they were "So much more enjoyable."

HAHAHAH. People are still people. Addictions are still addictions, non-attachment or not. :) They don't have to vape the incense, they're getting their nic fit another way!!!! :) :lol::lol:

Anna

Reactions: KC0YNU

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Show me a place on this planet that has truly fresh air free of anything harmful?

That is not the point..... Human lungs are for intake of atmosphere/oxygen.... The fact that the world is polluted, is once again, entirely the fault of mankind and his supposed "superior" wisdom. If we were designed to breath in water then we would have gills and live in the water (we wouldn't have lungs).... If were were designed to breath in anything besides the atmosphere (polluted or not) then our bodies we be equipped for such activities. We were born to ingest food, ingest atmosphere and expel bodily wastes. Any other activity is man made and usually leads to problems.

Maybe in 100,000 years the human body will adapt and smoking tobacco will no longer be harmful but as for this current time period that is not the case.... As for vaping, I think it is far safer than smoking but I will not go so far as to say it is harmless (it's not a natural act).....

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well, the human body is designed to take in and process a certain number of toxins and still survive for a certain number of years. I think it's a lot less harmful to use pure tobacco leaf in ceremonies (this still happens at the tribe I work at) and to smoke man-made cigarettes stuffed full of odd chemicals (this totally happens all the time at the tribe I work at). Both do, and sometimes in the same individuals.

I don't know whether to look at increasing life expectancy in the civilized world as man's adaptation to environment via genetic mutation, some advances in medicine (got to BOW to vaccines, here, not to mention antibiotics) and whatnot, or a combination of both, combined with various other things... IDK. I don't worry too hard about factors I can't control, though I think I'd rather live closer to a nuclear plant than a coal one.... that type of thing....

My personal theory on alcoholism is that being able to eat decaying or fermenting nuts and berries and process them easily during cave man days was an asset, now that cheap and mass-manufactured Etoh is available, easily and cheaply, that's not so much an asset.... As it were. I come from a long line of genetic Russian alcoholics and seriously, all they had at times was potatoes and snow and I completely understand how living under such conditions might lead to... enjoyment of and manufacture of Vodka!

Everyone should manage their own tolerances and preferences how they see fit, honestly, and whether they smoke, vape, whatever, it's kind of up to one's own natural preferences and willingnesses. I'm quite sure I would look upon negative vape studies *quite* differently than I do now, than I might have as a current-smoker, never-vaper, though, if my motivation were to be to find a "reason" not to vape, and smoke instead. If I wanted to quit vaping entirely, I'd probably try to find as much research to support vaping as harmful (for personal reading) to strengthen my desires in that direction. Perspective is so important. :) That said, I'm betting I wouldn't find *as much* even if I tried my hardest....

And, probably both are true. Smoking is harmful. Vaping is harmful. We don't know HOW much yet, and that will take time. But, breathing is harmful. Not breathing is harmful. We are all going to die one day. One thing I know for sure is that I don't want to go via COPD. Dropping dead of a heart attack due to continuing to ingest nicotine FTW!!! (Some day in the far off future, hopefully). Dropping dead of a heart attack is likely in my family anyway, so I'm not going to freak out.

That being said, to each his own. I find picturing death in a variety of ways to be a valuable life skill, I tend to worry about it less when I rehearse it a little mentally.... we are all going to do it, and it's like the most exciting adventure really.... If you really think about it. I know a lot about a lot of stuff, but not so much about death. Yet.

Anna

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    But due to "no" proof of lower risk in vaping, im thinking about quitting vaping and starting back smoking

LOL!!! Definitely. :thumbs:

(thanks, Ax!) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

@Katdarling - c'mon in. Ya GOTTA check this thread out. :thumbs:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I am not sure that responsible people are claiming the vaping is safe. I believe [don't know but believe] that vaping has a lesser risk of harm than does smoking. I would imagine that most on here are more in the believer category rather than the knowing category. The absence of Carbon Monoxide and particulate matter is enough for me. So, I believe that vaping, as pointed out above, is "safer" that smoking but "safer than" is not the equivalent of "safe". Cars are safer than motorcycles and that does not make them safe.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    What we are referring to here is "intentionally" inhaling anything other than air likely causes some level of harm.

Yeah, you know how I feel about slippery slopes & nebulous issues though, Mike. I intentionally drove my car earlier, and laws-of-average say that's the thing that will get the majority of us hurt (or worse).

I'm also about to intentionally pop open a Henry's Hard Grape Soda, which probably isn't the best idea, from a health perspective.

Everything is relative. Had I not driven, we'd have no food in the house, and work stressed me out so badly that the alcohol will probably be a positive impact. Sound logic? I do not know, but it's good enough for me (tonight).

On a similar note, I'll likely vape until the day I die, from whatever may be that cause.

Life's short. Embrace the pleasures.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    I'll take my chances....Rather inhale a handful of chemicals rather than several thousand of which many are know carcinogens.

Besides I feel a lot better since quitting smoking.

If you are really worried about it......Do do either, smoke or vape.

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    Nah. I'm with AkiN111on this. I can't guarantee that vaping is pure. It has not cured my eyesight, I still get tummy aches if I eat too much spicy food, just yesterday I forgot that I didn't buy paper plates. Vaping should have cured all of that. So I'm done. From now on I'm smoking asbestos straight out of a lead pipe. Gonna use road flares to keep that sucker lit too.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Nah. I'm with AkiN111on this. I can't guarantee that vaping is pure. It has not cured my eyesight, I still get tummy aches if I eat too much spicy food, just yesterday I forgot that I didn't buy paper plates. Vaping should have cured all of that. So I'm done. From now on I'm smoking asbestos straight out of a lead pipe. Gonna use road flares to keep that sucker lit too.

"NOICE!!!"

10221633-187654598_4-s4-v1.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread