VAPING ...... Is it really safe??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siddhartha Awasthi

Sep 13, 2016
Hi All,

I am new to vaping.....taking my time to clear my doubts.
SO PLZ DONT SHOOT ME DOWN. :)

I have recently stopped smoking which I was doing from last 30 years and was finding myself lucky. All my earlier attempts failed....could manage to stick to my resolution just because of vaping.

I read few threads about vapes leaving oil in the lungs which turned out to be lethal.

This news shocked me and I did a small experiment. I vaped 2 - 3 times thru tissue paper which created a wet spot on the paper.....thought it must be from the moisture so I circled the spot and left it to dry. Next day, spot was there. I thought that moisture permanently changed the texture of paper....so this time toughed the paper with my wet finger, circled the spot and left it to dry. Next day spot was gone and paper was back to its usual appearance.

My tiny brain tells me there is some oil content in the vape clouds.

Your Views Plz???

Regards....Sid

Reactions: phonedude

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I just tried that myself and got the wet spot on the tissue. I'm pretty sure it's the VG or PG, which aren't oils. And it doesn't evaporate, at least not quickly. If you use a tissue to wipe spills off a tank after you fill it the wet area on the tissue will stay there indefinitely, or at least as long as I've left tissues lying around.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome to ECF. Congratulations on starting on this life saving journey.

Nothing in life can be guaranteed to be 100% safe but vaping is said to be at least 95% safer than smoking. Doing neither could prove to be best but I accept the minuscule chance that something in our e-liquid MIGHT someday look to cause problems. I believe the benefits outweigh the possible chance of risk.

There should be no oil in your e-liquid. The only way it could be is if you choose to add a flavoring that is oil based and as far as I know no one mixes with oil based flavorings. Nicotine, PG and VG do not contain oil.

Sadly the oil scare was put out there by those that are doing all they can to demonize vaping. If you hear/read a lot of what the mainstream media is putting out there it WILL tend to scare you away from vaping. They have no facts to back up what they are putting out there but that has never stopped them from spouting it. Scared folks are docile folks and they want to keep us scared. There are to many folks (government, pharmaceutical companies, tobacco companies) losing to much money so those folks are doing all they can to keep smokers smoking.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I read few threads about vapes leaving oil in the lungs which turned out to be lethal.
There is no oil in e-liquid!

Are vapes completely safe? nope... but science tells us that they are at least 95% safer than smoking, using temperature control that can be brought closer to 99% safer....

Reactions: Eskie

Ongeslepen

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Amsterdamaged
Compared to smoking? Yes, vaping is safer.

Don't believe us? We are happy to provide you with some sources. But i warn you, the real test results (scientific papers) are a bore to read. Hence, the common folk, people who are not interested in vaping, will never read it. They'd rather click on click bates. Like "Mom vapes, kid grows three arms" and .... like that.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
There has never been a single case of someone dying from oil in vape juice getting into their lung or any other part of them. There has never been a single case reported of anyone dying from vaping period, never mind oil.

There has been one case where vape juice possibly contributed to the death of a small child who drank a bottle of vape juice. If it happened (there are conflicting stories around the case and no autopsy for any sorta certainty) it was from nicotine overdose, not any oil.

Long term studies on the safety of vaping are not yet available, as vaping hasn't been around long enough to study for that. No matter how such studies turn out, it's incredibly hard to imagine it being any worse than smoking.

Every one of us has to make an individual decision regarding the risk of vaping compared to continue to smoke cigarettes. If you do not smoke, don't vape. Who needs anything other than fresh air in their lungs? If you do smoke, vaping offer a viable option to quitting, and for many of us here, it has been more successful than other methods we may have tried.

Good luck!

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Vaping actual oil can cause Lipid Pneumonia. It's most commonly associated with animal fats, vegetable oils, and mineral oils. Petroleum based products can also cause problems and people working around industrial machinery have been known to acquire the disease. Oil based flavors are not for vaping and should never be used for vaping. This is widely known.

With that being said, PG and VG are easily absorbed and dispelled by the human body. There is no buildup. They are scientifically proven safe for consumption (digestive tract) and topical applications. Some people are sensitive to PG but that is a separate issue.

There is no long term inhalation study for PG and VG. All science points towards no adverse long term consequences so far but the science is not complete. There is zero evidence that PG or VG are acutely toxic to any tissue on the mouth, throat, or lungs at this point. The most recent studies have shown that vapor may be no more harmful than air but we are a ways away from closing the books.

The choice between smoking or vaping is a no brainer imho. Smoke is proven toxic and deadly and can greatly increase one's chances at chronic disease with COPD at the top of the list.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Since no one has said it yet...................... Welcome @Siddrtha Awasthahi and as others have said 95% safer at least and I have seen things from the UK stating 98%. As long as you are using e-Liquid from a known and trusted source I do not think you should worry but you could research your supplier.

Reactions: Eskie

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
read a couple of these to help you make an informed decision based on scientific fact.

Attachments

• 10 common questions about e-cigarettes answered.pdf
    364.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Electronic cigarette use and harm reversal.pdf
    430.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Feasibility of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems in Surgical Patients.pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Mayo Clinic E-Cigarettes Mitigate Risks of Smoking Before and After Operations.pdf
    222.4 KB · Views: 37
  • MSA payments 1999 to 4-2016.pdf
    237.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Reduced Blood Pressure by Vaping.pdf
    510.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Respiratory harm reversal seen in asthmatic smokers on e.pdf
    312.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Study Confirms That E-Cigarettes Generate Virtually No Toxins.pdf
    219 KB · Views: 31
  • Study finds nicotine safeV2.pdf
    245.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Why is the government out to destroy vaping.pdf
    223.4 KB · Views: 34

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Ok, welcome to ECF, like everyone has stated I say "ditto"

So lets talk about the other things that we breathe in that has "oil "
Candles - essential oils
Cooking - oils
Room freshners - oils
perfume - oils
incense - oils
I could go on. No one starts campaigns about the dangers of breathing in these oils.

We bar-b-que, grill , etc. What do we use to cook these ? Charcoal, wood, propane etc. All of these methods emit carcinogenics, but no one starts demonizing the all american pastime of burning something to cook off of.

I wont even talk about all the vehicles emissions....

Vape liquid should have no oil, or at least like everyone else said , should not.

Siddhartha Awasthi

Sep 13, 2016
I just tried that myself and got the wet spot on the tissue. I'm pretty sure it's the VG or PG, which aren't oils. And it doesn't evaporate, at least not quickly. If you use a tissue to wipe spills off a tank after you fill it the wet area on the tissue will stay there indefinitely, or at least as long as I've left tissues lying around.

Hi,

Thanks for spending your time in repeating the experiment. I am planning to do another test to compare the output with input by using two tubes. First tube thru tissue paper to inhale from vaper and second such tube to exhale. In case, the density of wet spot in tissue paper from second tube is low......means its leaving oil in my lungs.
Would you like to repeat this at your end? Would love to compare our findings.

I am very sure that It is oil. It might be from the flavor or from the e-juice i am vaping on.
Try to rub wet spot onto a shiny glass surface and see its reflection.....it is something oily and slimy.
I agree with others who replied....that in totality, it might still be less harmful than what damage traditional cigarettes do. I don't want to go down the bunny hole here but just curious to know whats going inside me.

Regards....Sid

VirusJunkie

Moved On
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple accounts are not permitted on ECF.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I don't want to go down the bunny hole here but just curious to know whats going inside me.

That's easy to determine.

Give us the name of the e-liquid and the list of ingredients on the bottle.

We'll go from there.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Hi,

Thanks for spending your time in repeating the experiment. I am planning to do another test to compare the output with input by using two tubes. First tube thru tissue paper to inhale from vaper and second such tube to exhale. In case, the density of wet spot in tissue paper from second tube is low......means its leaving oil in my lungs.
Would you like to repeat this at your end? Would love to compare our findings.

I am very sure that It is oil. It might be from the flavor or from the e-juice i am vaping on.
Try to rub wet spot onto a shiny glass surface and see its reflection.....it is something oily and slimy.
I agree with others who replied....that in totality, it might still be less harmful than what damage traditional cigarettes do. I don't want to go down the bunny hole here but just curious to know whats going inside me.

Regards....Sid

I might try that later. There should be one major difference between the inhaled and exhaled vapor. The exhaled vapor would have water mixed in. So what you see on the tissue should look more watery and less dense. I could be wrong about that, it's what I've read.

On the subject of oil, unfortunately VG and PG look a lot like oil. They feel like oil on your fingers and they behave like oil. If you drop some on a desktop it will sit there forever like a drop of cooking oil would. But chemically they are very different. I'm not sure how you would be able to tell the difference without some kind of chemical test. Maybe you could tell the difference by putting some water on the spot. VG mixes with water so water should mix with it on the tissue. Oil repels water so that might be possible to see. Unless you use something with actual oil in it, like an oil based flavoring, or use oil instead of VG in the juice, there really isn't any way there could be oil in the vapor.

Are you using premixed juice or making your own? I doubt if any juice makers would use oil based flavoring, that's a well known no-no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread