Vaping is making me sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Ok, well, old age will get you too, sweetheart. It happens to us all.
We were talking about people feeling sick because they replace cigarettes with e-cig and it scares them they may be using something un-healthy.
You worry about your sugar. Geez, one person just can't hit on all cylinders, I guess. :confused:

I guess I should qualify my statements with, "up to but not including" or "among other things" or "for what the heck it's worth to ya".

Last edited:

inicapem

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2009
Earth
Wow! I apologize if I did something to offend you. I did not say i was afraid of sugar just saying that gatorade has alot of it which will not help in hydration. I believe I was trying to help the pesron who is getting sick by suggesting drinking lots of water to prevent dehydration. I'm not saying not to drink gatorade or anything else with sugar if you like it - just realize that it will dehydrate you. Drink whatever you want - i'm simply letting the pesron know that all beverages are not the same and if his headaches are from dehydration - water will help this - at least it does for me.

Just trying to help not trying to harm.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Could be, could be, dehydration causes headaches. Yes.
So do a LOT of other things. That's the thing. But put it into context then, and try to help the poor Wannavaap from Va whose first post was out of frustration because he/she is worried about vaping vs smoking. I tried to make it simple the only way I know how, but you pick on my Gatorade suggestion? C'mon! This is supposed to be fun and informative. And you worry about his/her sugar level???
I am not offended, but highly amused at the crapping up my great suggestions. :D

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Yes, well, no offense intended, but overpriced lemonade with a pitch of salt is not what comes first to mind to many peoples mind when they recommend fluids.

Hydration itself, no matter with what, is a good idea. Doesn't have to be non-caffeine, either; the myth that caffeine does dehydrate you has been put to rest for a while now. Of course, water is always best, but can't drink that all day.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Yah, I need my coffee to vape with! It just works out so nicely.
It is nice, though, to get through the first couple of months cigarette free, past all the flighty stomach and hunger cravings, to finally figure out that the e-cig is a very good way to drop tobacco cigarettes from your budget and your body! My first NJoy did the trick on day one, after 44 years of smoking. After doing everything wrong, all the little nuances do work themselves out, but it does take a lot of willpower, frustrations with dead batteries and huge buying sprees for the "perfect" PV and the best juices, in the end we are smoke free.
It's a great thing. I really doubt I would have had the same outcome without my e-cig. I want everyone just to get that part! If they weren't interested in e-cig-based cigarette replacement, they wouldn't be here. It really does help to know what to expect, and how to fix a problem, to any degree.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Anything with sweetners will dehydrate you.
Pretty much every medical electrolyte solution has glucose in it, because carbohydrates increase fluid retention when treating dehydration.

Most cases of low level dehydration, it's true that it doesn't make a huge difference what you drink in terms of fluids. Gatorade's just a random example of one option. If someone needs a sweeter liquid to convince themselves to drink more often for a short while, well, it's their call on the liquid calories or artificial sweetener or whatever else. (I find plain water boring; I down Sprite Zero like it's my job.)

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Pretty much every medical electrolyte solution has glucose in it, because carbohydrates increase fluid retention when treating dehydration.

Most cases of low level dehydration, it's true that it doesn't make a huge difference what you drink in terms of fluids. Gatorade's just a random example of one option. If someone needs a sweeter liquid to convince themselves to drink more often for a short while, well, it's their call on the liquid calories or artificial sweetener or whatever else. (I find plain water boring; I down Sprite Zero like it's my job.)

Does that contain aspartame, Madame?

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yes, it does. (I'd rather not touch the aspartame debate with a ten-foot pole, but I've done what reading and experimentation I can, made my personal decision, and just say to each his own on all sweetener choices...)

LOL, no debate here. I am just extremely sensitive to it. Makes me very ill. Read some negative stuff about it in relation to MS, which I have, so that about explains it. Am always looking for a low cal sweet drink. Hate water.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I cannot believe someone suggested that all those professional athletes, who sweat off 14 pounds of water in a football game, are fools and idiots who waste money on Gatorade. Huh? Does this anti-Gatorade person KNOW the history of Gatorade, how it was developed and why?

Research. And learn. It's a first-rate product for dehydration. Millionaire athletes and billionaire team owners aren't fools for passing fads. They use Gatorade and have since it was first developed.

Cubiccube

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Iowa
Ok, well, old age will get you too, sweetheart. It happens to us all.
We were talking about people feeling sick because they replace cigarettes with e-cig and it scares them they may be using something un-healthy.
You worry about your sugar. Geez, one person just can't hit on all cylinders, I guess. :confused:

I guess I should qualify my statements with, "up to but not including" or "among other things" or "for what the heck it's worth to ya".

Not contributing anything here, and I understand what you are saying, but I REALLY worry about sugar being a type 1 diabetic :) I do agree with almost everyone here though, get lots of water, and I did have some very averse reactions to 36mg nic juice, so I've been vaping 11mg no problems at all I was about 3/4 to 1 pack a day smoker.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Plenty of people here with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. It stands to reason they personally watch their blood sugar. Many questions for vapors to consider and work through. And there are threads that address these problems, that real people have worked through.
And 36/mg nic makes me sick, some use 48/mg stuff. Not recommended for most of us.
But why is the question about Gatorade such a diversion (yes, TB, totally agree!) when people are making statements like "vaping is making me sick" after smoking 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes for three years. Didn't anyone but me get sick from smoking those things?? Now, they say vaping is making them sick? Whoa.

Last edited:

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
w. Most people's "headaches" are usually just over-worked facial muscles, you are drawing too hard and too often.

Long, slow, easy draws from your PV will give you the best vapor production, and your nicotine.

How exactly do you do that Kate? I have tried long , slow and easy draws but it seems I get very little vapor then. I have a KR8 so I don't know if that has a harder draw than others or not. Believe me I would rather take an easy draw as opposed to puckering up for a hard draw and feeling every new wrinkle start around my mouth. I don't seem to able to get the hang of it. Or the vapor.

Rexa

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
New York City
I have still never been able to pinpoint what the reasons could be. I do know that the first month or two of vaping is an "adjustment". You will get headaches, nausea and combined with the fact that you still get cigarette withdrawels you'll be a complete miserable wreck even though you're still getting high off your nicotine. I say give it some more time and eventually all the symptoms will subside.

fastfwd

Dec 19, 2009
idaho USA
Are you still smoking a analog now and then ? I have noticed in the last few days every time i try smoking a analog i get the worst damn headache after just a few hits, i throw the analog away and within maybe fifteen minutes the headache is gone. I have tested this several times and it happens every time i smoke now. The vaping doesnt give me this headache,i have been vaping for about 3 weeks now,and gone from two packs a day analogs to 3 or maybe 4 a day, but the last 3 days i have only been able to take a few puffs and the headache comes. ??

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
How exactly do you do that Kate? I have tried long , slow and easy draws but it seems I get very little vapor then. I have a KR8 so I don't know if that has a harder draw than others or not. Believe me I would rather take an easy draw as opposed to puckering up for a hard draw and feeling every new wrinkle start around my mouth. I don't seem to able to get the hang of it. Or the vapor.
I don't know what that is, a manual or automatic, but assuming it's automatic, a very long draw is what gives you the best vapor because it allows the atomizer to heat up as far as it is meant to. The device is timed for perfect draw time by air flow. Some people use a short puff to energize the atomizer, and then a nice long puff for good vapor. You should only have to puff hard enough to light the LED, if you have one.
With a manual device, just puff, keeping the button depressed until it flashes or cuts off...if you are having trouble producing vapor it may mean your cart is not wet enough, or is not making good contact with the atomizer. You should never pull harder for better vapor, as you would a tobacco cigarette, but for a longer period for highest heat, no matter what kind of PV you have. It takes some practice to just do automatically, without having to think about it. Practice in front of a mirror if you have to.
The harder you puff, you pull too much liquid from your cart, and some will either end up in your mouth or will flood the atomizer. An atomizer doesn't work well if it's too flooded with juice, or too dry. Of course you want a fully charged battery for best heat. Make sure your contacts from battery to atomizer are dry and properly connected. If your atty is making gurgling noise, it's flooded. Remove it from the battery and blow into it hard from the thread end to get the excess juice out, and start over!
Check this link, might find more help.

Last edited:

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
I cannot believe someone suggested that all those professional athletes, who sweat off 14 pounds of water in a football game, are fools and idiots who waste money on Gatorade. Huh? Does this anti-Gatorade person KNOW the history of Gatorade, how it was developed and why?

Well, I didn't know vaping made you loose 14 pounds of water in a few hours. If you loose that amount of water (and salt, and sugar!), yes, isotonic drinks are a good idea. Only, I don't think we are talking about that. And for the average person (and even the average non-professional athlete) isotonic drinks are just not necessary. And especially the brand named ones are not; there are a lot cheaper ways to get what you need if you need it at all. I've done my research, now you do some, instead of watching ads.

And are you really trying to tell me that professional athletes and sport teams only ever use or promote the very best that is out there? Wow! BTW, got a bottle of snake oil for sale, very cheap, just for you! One-time offer, don't miss it.

damitintrblagain

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
When u buy a kit, normally the 'High' is 18 mg, Med is 11 or 12 and low usually 8.
Now, why would anyone vape above the 18???????

The 18 was too strong for me when I started, so I added some PG to bring it 16 which was perfect! This strength allowed me to 'vape' a bit and still satisfy my cravings. With the 18 one or two drags would take care of the cravings, but I enjoy vaping(smoking) so wanted to be able to use it more.
For some, the 11 is good, others the 8. Everyone is different.
The point is to slowly reduce (like the patch and gum) until you are using "0", so why would anyone want to start at a higher level than needed?
The 24 and 36, etc, were designed to dilute for those who wish to save some coin, not to be used full strength. More flavoring is needed when this is done.

I believe the BEST e-cigs are the DSE 901 and DSE 801.The 510 is ok, but u lose a lot of flavor.
The ones that look like cigarettes are crap. Have to reload too often. Get a good one and you will really enjoy the experience.

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
I don't know what that is, a manual or automatic, but assuming it's automatic, a very long draw is what gives you the best vapor because it allows the atomizer to heat up as far as it is meant to. The device is timed for perfect draw time by air flow. Some people use a short puff to energize the atomizer, and then a nice long puff for good vapor. You should only have to puff hard enough to light the LED, if you have one.
With a manual device, just puff, keeping the button depressed until it flashes or cuts off...if you are having trouble producing vapor it may mean your cart is not wet enough, or is not making good contact with the atomizer. You should never pull harder for better vapor, as you would a tobacco cigarette, but for a longer period for highest heat, no matter what kind of PV you have. It takes some practice to just do automatically, without having to think about it. Practice in front of a mirror if you have to.
The harder you puff, you pull too much liquid from your cart, and some will either end up in your mouth or will flood the atomizer. An atomizer doesn't work well if it's too flooded with juice, or too dry. Of course you want a fully charged battery for best heat. Make sure your contacts from battery to atomizer are dry and properly connected. If your atty is making gurgling noise, it's flooded. Remove it from the battery and blow into it hard from the thread end to get the excess juice out, and start over!
Check this link, might find more help.

Thanks Kate.

anna002

Jan 5, 2010
usa
It may be a more mechanical problem. I got headaches and a tiny bit of neck strain my first week most likely because I was smoking the 510 like a crack pipe and probably because I was trying very hard to get a "analog" hit. I'm also still going through withdrawals (24mg just doesn't seem to be doing it for me), and that makes life suck a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread