Vaping is not a complete substitute for tobacco smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Kate I know you don't use your I-Inhale with herbs, but what about a mix of the content in a passion flower tea bag+e-liquid? just as an experiment.

Yes, I might try that Lithium.

I quite like the idea of having a complimentary drink to have with a vape ... like tea and a vape naturally going together as a therapeutic break.

I have mental health problems though and take anti depressants and anti psychotic drugs so I have to be careful not to unbalance myself and cause a psychotic episode. This is the worst time of year for me so I don't think I'll mess about too much with chemicals until spring or summer.

The temperatures that substances vapourise at are very interesting, especially in regard to effectively modding new atomisers. I might start a thread about this at some point to get information together in one place.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Now I'm going to start worrying about you! Please read the cautions about using those chemicals in conjunction with other medications. I really think we're on the right track here, with the promise to ingest less nicotine while creating a positive feeling that lasts longer, but do be careful. From what I've read, there can be some nasty interactions (can't remember where I read it, Kate, or I'd post a link).

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Thanks TBob, no worries, I'm actually quite well at the moment. This is the first winter in ages where I haven't had depression and some psychological confusion. I have a feeling that it might be because I'm getting the nicotine that keeps me normal without all the other nasties. I might feel even better if I tried harmine too but am just being careful not to mix too many psychoactive chemicals at once.

Apparently over 60% of people with schizophrenia self medicate by smoking - that's a lot of people who could benefit from medication via ecig rather than tobacco. So far so good for me, my sample of one suggests that vaping is better. Another angle for promoting personal vaporisers perhaps?

I'll be careful, thanks. I'm ticking along nicely with a clean, low dose of nicotine and will try harmine gradually when I'm ready.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
We do know that nicotine "normalizes". That's part of the reason I liked smoking so much. You're right about it helping anyone with a mental imbalance. It does help.

You must have what is called Seasonal Affective Disorder, where your circadian rhythm goes out of whack during shorter days of sunlight. We don't have that in Florida, but northern parts of the U.S. get those much shorter daylight periods -- and the SAD condition is often diagnosed.

Enjoy your vaping. From all I've been able to learn, it must surely be helping you make it through the winter.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Yes, I think it's related to sunlight, I don't get enough and I'm vitamin D deficient too. I got a bulb that simulates natural light this year so I don't know how much my good health is to do with that and how much is quitting smoking/starting vaping.

If I didn't feel good I'd be tempted to try harmine to see if that was a missing factor but I have no need for it at the moment.

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
Bob, I love vaping and don't plan to quit,but analogs keeps calling. I got this great e-cig now that satified more than the others,but I still want a analog every morning. There is something in them that my body wants. I have tried herbal pills in the past to quit and they never worked only relaxed me some. Maybe with the e-cig and the herbs I will be able to walk away from analogs. If this spray and pills makes mine e-cigs bad ,now that won't work. I order them anyway and I quess will see.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Do keep us posted. I'm very much like you in wanting a real cigarette every day. Multiple times every day. I e-smoke, use snus and Stonewall tablets, and puff a pipe several times a day. Nothing replaces inhaling cigarette smoke. Something is missing. And it's NOT nicotine, that's for sure.

Lemme know how the harmine works out. I'd be right behind you if it helps!

bribri

Moved On
Oct 13, 2008
San Mateo, CA.
Passionflower is disgusting smoked I know that. Havent vaped it yet. I personally feel you are not missing another ingredient in the cigarettes. You are missing the feeling of smoke in your lung and throat. That feeling is only slightly replaced with vapor. Also, vaped things don't have nearly as much flavor as smoked things as well. Thats what your missing. For example, marijuana smoked in a pipe and marijuana smoked in a vaporizer. It is no comparison. While you get higher from the vaped stuff, the piped stuff has it would seem 10 times the amount of flavor.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Here's what I'm missing: When I smoked a cigarette, relaxation was almost instantaneous. The smoking lasted about 5 to 7 minutes. I finished in a relaxed, happy state, ready to take on the world! That feeling gradually wore down, so that 30 minutes later I needed to smoke again. The cycle repeated -- about 30 times a day for me.

When I e-smoke, I get nothing. Not instantaneously, not for 30 minutes, not for any time. I just non-stop puff vapor (while using other stuff for nicotine).

What I'd like is the old routine back, without the health hazard. And I don't think I care at all about the "feel" of smoke. I want the brain boost. I'm not getting it now. That's my own physical reaction .. might not be everyone's, for sure.

Cymri

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Austin Texas
I agree with TBob - this is a physiological brain chemistry matter, not an oral fixation or feeling in the airways thing. I can get a "throat hit" with my 901 and 36 mg Riskee Yuice that is like the feel of cigarette smoke. It's that immediate tranquilizing aspect of cigarette smoke on the nerves that is somewhat missing in vaping. I can feel the nicotine, but it's not as immediate.

It kind of ticks me off how many folks are on the psychology bandwagon trying to convince 20 year smokers that it's the ritual or this or that. Bunk. It's a chemical issue.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I came at this from the other side. I smoked for 25 years and then quit and was completely free of it as a non-smoker for 8 years. I have now been esmoking for a month and have found it rather strange that no addiction at all has formed. I know the cravings and pull of addiction quite well but there is isn't even a hint of it.

If I feel any tightness in my chest after esmoking heavily the night before I simply take a break with no side effects. I'm not complaining or anything, I just find it very strange that no addiction seems to be developing.

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
Everyone is different, I'm a 14 years smoker of a pack and a half marlboro red 1mg cigarettes and for me, it is more the ritual and hand to mouth action plus inhale and exhale something, I have noticed that I was smoking very little nicotine, because I usually take a quick mouth drag and then inhale a little and exhale, so when vaping I was using 1 to 1.5ml of 36mg e-liquid and sometimes I feld like OD, of course the nicotine adiction is there, but for me it is not the 100% of MY adiction.

Cymri

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Austin Texas
so when vaping I was using 1 to 1.5ml of 36mg e-liquid and sometimes I feld like OD, of course the nicotine adiction is there, but for me it is not the 100% of MY adiction.

yeah Lithium I gave myself the dreaded nic headache one day on the 36 mg. I think the reason that happened is because I was trying to "smoke" like I do with a cigarette looking for that slight buzz. This goes right to the issue brought up here. With a cigarette there is something in it that can give even a heavy smoker a head rush if you smoke it hard. You don't get that vaping even with 36 mg. You try and you just get a monster headache.

There just seems to be some constituent in tobacco smoke that we crave along with the nicotine that we don't get when we vape. Quite true that the ritual of smoking is a huge part of it all, but I find that e-cigs satisfy that aspect very nicely for me.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I'm not exactly sure if it was the nicotine hit or the ritual of it all. There were times when I really missed being able to kick back and just relax with a smoke. It wasn't an uncontrollable urge or anything, more just like a bit of nostalgia.

I could never go back to real cigarettes since I have children in the house and I find the smell to be pretty damn nasty :) The ecigs seemed to offer the perfect solution. No overt health concerns, no second hand issues and a nice dose of nicotine whenever I wanted. It also seemed to offer the ritual I was missing.

I really do enjoy the esmoking, but as I mentioned earlier, the urge to do it is based on a simple enjoyment rather than a compulsion. No complaints :)

Kimmiegrif

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
Maryland USA
I miss the cigs but it has been so long since I had one that I don't wanta go back. But I have friends that love their cigs and knowing I quit...gives them anxiety, thinking omg I could never do what kim does...then I think...omg what am I missing? that is when it really hits me. I also don't like vaping outside like I liked cig smoking. i find myself vaping inside more. (partially because I like my usb hookup_

I was a fat, quiet and lazzy child. When I started smoking in my teens I got thin and active and out-going. Looking back, I think I was clinically depressed as a child. I tried quitting with Chantix last year. I took it for 4 months. Worked great. Smoked through the withdrawl period and gradually lost interest in smoking. My wife's smoking actually bothered me like my parents' smoking did when I was a kid. Only problem was, I got fat, quiet and lazzy and could not concentrate. I stopped the Chantix and went back to smoking by choice. Also, stopping Chantix brought back the craving. So, I started vaping two weeks ago. I went a few days without any tobacco, but, I don't vape like I smoked - seems I hit it constantly through the day - often getting the headaches and just this morning an anxiety attack while playing with my new Super Micro. Not enough "smoke" but seems I'm getting ALL the nicotine despite using the Low cart.'s.

Question to the population of e-smokers: After quiting tobacco and vaping nicotine, are you able to keep the weight stable, the mind focused and your personality the same? I can passify the addiction with the e-cig, but will I lose all the benifits of tobacco smoking?

I heard a study recently that found that 40% of smokers will never be able to quit. They have identified a gene that makes these people naturally addicted. If the first time you smoked a cigarette, it gave you a feeling of well-being, you are one of those people. That's why some people can just put them down and walk away while others will crave a cig until the day they die. I hope the e-cigs work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread