Vaping is not safe!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Rogers

Nov 20, 2016
I am sitting here in my chair recovering from a portion of my left lung being removed a few days ago.

I could continue to lie to myself and say that vaping is safer than smoking regular cigarettes, but there is no comfort there, for me, any longer.

Is vaping safer than smoking a Marlboro or other cigarette? The jury is still out on that one, but there is compelling evidence that vaping may be slightly less dangerous. The truth is that it is too early to tell as vaping is relatively new as compared to the 1000's of years of history on smoking tobacco in the raw.

For anyone to say that vaping is safe is just not true. The fact of the matter is that inhaling any foreign substance into the lungs is not safe as the lungs were not designed for such activity.

If you are going to smoke or vape, I surely hope that you are prepared for the nightmare that awaits you. No amount of fooling yourself will change the likelihood that if you do either, you will eventually pay the price for it.

I can respect someone who smokes and is prepared for the dangers that await, but for those who simply make excuses and attempt to convince others of their lies in order to "not be the only one" harming them self, I have little pity for what you will end up facing.

I, like many others, told myself that vaping was better than cigarettes in order to somehow justify me keeping my bad habit of smoking.

I went in to my doctors office for a kidney stone and my whole world was turned upside down. While I or my doctors cannot say that vaping was 100% the cause for three tumors in my left lung, together they and I have come to the conclusion that the likely cause was vaping. How else did i get three tumors that had a glycerin component?

Do what you want to yourself, but when you do, be as careful as possible. There are so many pop up vaping liquid companies out there that are not regulated that it should really scare the hell out of you. The lack of negative evidence early on in this new vaping world does not mean that there are no problems with it.

If you are going to buy and use these things, make sure to try and stick with the producers that are heavily involved with research into their own products.

If you end up losing a part of your lung due to smoking, you can only blame yourself. It would be better to get help with this disease and avoid the problems altogether.

Can someone tell me how I am supposed to explain to my children that my bad habits have been killing me for years and that I never stopped even when I knew that it would hurt me? How do I explain the amount of selfishness that I have shown by ignoring their pleas to stop?

Reactions: LeeLee26

ej1024

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2014
usa
I am sitting here in my chair recovering from a portion of my left lung being removed a few days ago.

I could continue to lie to myself and say that vaping is safer than smoking regular cigarettes, but there is no comfort there, for me, any longer.

Is vaping safer than smoking a Marlboro or other cigarette? The jury is still out on that one, but there is compelling evidence that vaping may be slightly less dangerous. The truth is that it is too early to tell as vaping is relatively new as compared to the 1000's of years of history on smoking tobacco in the raw.

For anyone to say that vaping is safe is just not true. The fact of the matter is that inhaling any foreign substance into the lungs is not safe as the lungs were not designed for such activity.

If you are going to smoke or vape, I surely hope that you are prepared for the nightmare that awaits you. No amount of fooling yourself will change the likelihood that if you do either, you will eventually pay the price for it.

I can respect someone who smokes and is prepared for the dangers that await, but for those who simply make excuses and attempt to convince others of their lies in order to "not be the only one" harming them self, I have little pity for what you will end up facing.

I, like many others, told myself that vaping was better than cigarettes in order to somehow justify me keeping my bad habit of smoking.

I went in to my doctors office for a kidney stone and my whole world was turned upside down. While I or my doctors cannot say that vaping was 100% the cause for three tumors in my left lung, together they and I have come to the conclusion that the likely cause was vaping. How else did i get three tumors that had a glycerin component?

Do what you want to yourself, but when you do, be as careful as possible. There are so many pop up vaping liquid companies out there that are not regulated that it should really scare the hell out of you. The lack of negative evidence early on in this new vaping world does not mean that there are no problems with it.

If you are going to buy and use these things, make sure to try and stick with the producers that are heavily involved with research into their own products.

If you end up losing a part of your lung due to smoking, you can only blame yourself. It would be better to get help with this disease and avoid the problems altogether.

Can someone tell me how I am supposed to explain to my children that my bad habits have been killing me for years and that I never stopped even when I knew that it would hurt me? How do I explain the amount of selfishness that I have shown by ignoring their pleas to stop?

Welcome to ECF..

[emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100]

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
We don't yet know what issues there are with long-term vaping but smoking, even when you quit, continues to have consequences.

If vaping were not 95% less harmful than smoking, England would not be recommending it as the most effective smoking cessation method there is.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Forgot - I hope your health will see an upturn soon. :hug:

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I'm truly sorry to hear about your illness. While I agree that there's still research that needs to be done. the early results indicate that vaping is much safer than smoking. Will there be future health issues that will be found? No one can say for sure. I still feel that you're much better off vaping as opposed to smoking.

Reactions: Mice Elf

ej1024

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2014
usa
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not Appropriate

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

If you don't mind me Asking, How long did you Smoke? How Long did you use an e-Cigarette?

And what Exactly is a "glycerin component" ?

It might be a Small Consolation, but perhaps your Children seeing 1st Hand what can Happen to a Person will Help them Decide what to do when they are confronted with the Choice of Starting Smoking.

JuiceJug

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2013
Canton,OH
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Cleaning up

ej1024

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2014
usa
  • Deleted by classwife

ej1024

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2014
usa
  • Deleted by classwife

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
How else did i get three tumors that had a glycerin component?

Have you eaten anything lately?

Foods Containing Glycerin

Im sorry your having health issues and hope that you recover quickly. Truth is, life in general is not safe, it's a terminal condition. Could there be long term ramifications? Sure but after 6 years I'm in much better condition than I was as a smoker.

All the best.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Moved to Health, Safety and Vaping from General E-Liquid Discussion

I am sorry for your troubles Buck Rogers...but...

How long and how much did you smoke ?

How long were you a vaper ?

Sadly, even tho you stopped smoking, the damages have been done and will rear their ugly monster heads at any point in time.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Why even take the bait.

Everyone makes choices and the OP made theirs.

Nothing to see here since there is no evidence to back up the claims.

But I'll leave these here for the OP to read.

Attachments

• E-cigarettes play key role in reducing smoking among youngsters.pdf
    165 KB · Views: 22
  • Electronic cigarette use and harm reversal.pdf
    430.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Feasibility of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems in Surgical Patients.pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Mayo Clinic E-Cigarettes Mitigate Risks of Smoking Before and After Operations.pdf
    222.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Reduced Blood Pressure by Vaping.pdf
    510.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Respiratory harm reversal seen in asthmatic smokers on e.pdf
    312.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Study Confirms That E-Cigarettes Generate Virtually No Toxins.pdf
    219 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

MMcQ

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2013
Pennsylvania
You start by explaining how you chose to give up your free will by blaming choices that you made knowing full well the harm that might befall you in order to assuage your guilt at having gambled and lost. We're all in this game called life but only a few of us have the guts to truly play it. The more you ascribe your own behavior to factors outside of your control the more your children will learn that they should bear no responsibility for their own actions. Not to be harsh, I feel bad for what you are going through and wouldn't wish it on anyone. But to come here with unproven hypothesis and unscientific fact laying blame and mongering fear among those who are trying truly hard to quit smoking for themselves doesn't make you come across as fair and one who can be trusted. Wishing you all the best and prayers.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
A dear friend of mine passed away from Stage 4 lung cancer a few months ago. She smoked from age 16-46, when she had a heart attack. She died from lung cancer at 78 years old. Don't know if the damage was done to her lungs from smoking all those many years ago or was it something else in her environment that caused the lung cancer? Asbestos? A virus? Life is a gamble...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
/LABORATORY ANIMALS: Chronic Exposure or Carcinogenicity/ In a study of the tumor promoting potential of glycerol, groups of male and female C3H mice, 6-8 weeks old, were given various carcinogens followed by 0, 0.5, or 1% (v/v) glycerol solution until they were 1 year old. Animals in the control group received either 5% (v/v) glycerol (equivalent to 5000 mg/kg bw per day) or water. The animals were killed, and the incidences of liver and lung tumors were recorded. Among males, the incidence of liver tumors was 23% in those given glycerol and 39% in those given water. The tumor incidence in the lung was 21% with glycerol and 41% with water. Similar results were obtained for female mice. Thus, lower incidences of liver and lung tumors were seen after glycerol treatment. No treatment-related adverse effects were reported.

WHO/FAO: Expert Committee on Food Additives. Summary of Toxicological Data of Certain Food Additives Series 48: Aliphatic acyclic diols, triols, and related substances (56-81-5) (2002). Available from, as of July 14, 2011: http://www.inchem.org/pages/jecfa.html

glycerol | C3H8O3 - PubChem

---

Not Definitive by any means. But Interesting None the Less.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Safe, safer, safest are value judgments, not quantifiable. So far it appears vaping is lower risk than smoking. That is quantifiable and appears to be true. After that wouldn't it be nice to have a few honest scientists besides Dr. F working on the subject.

There are something like 40 million vapers in the world. That's a pretty large experiment and it's been going for some years. As far as I can see an epidemeological trend, meaning a pattern of illness caused by ecigs has yet to be reported. May be something will turn up eventually. I'm sure the people trying to keep us smoking are searching frantically. I'm sure I sleep better knowing that must be true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread