Vaping.... Its harder than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShepherdMom69

Jul 4, 2014
Eldred, PA USA
Hello,
Im having some issues on getting the right equipment and its getting frustrating. July 3rd 2014 I put down the cigarettes and picked up a vape and havent looked back (much) I havent touched a regular cig since but somedays it seems like it would be so much easier.
I started with a cheap kiosk vape pen. Plastic tanks. That route and upgraded batteries to an eGo twist. That worked for the 1st year. I got along pretty good with them but the tanks were $6 each and very unreliable. Some would last 2 days some would last 2 weeks.. But it worked to get me off the cigs.
Then my husband (Who pays for all the gear I buy) decided that I needed to get a better system so Im not needing a new tank all the time. We went shopping at the 1 vape store within a reasonable driving distance (I live in a very rural area, No city shopping for me)
I left with a Kanger box and an Aspire Nautilus tank, and extra batteries. To the tune of somewhere around $150 or a little more.
2 weeks later I needed more coils I got back to the store, They dont carry the coils. What? But a very helpful and somewhat clueless employee helped find me another tank that they do carry the coils for. It was a kanger tech protank 2. took it home.... Sigh and things went down hill fast.
It leaked and gurgled and cause all kinds of problems. I have to keep cleaning it up and suffering through mouthfuls of ejuice (Very un-tasty) coil after coil..but I was making it work, somehow. Then one day it quit screwing into my battery. Like the threads wore off. (Probably cause of all the leaking and constant removal to clean it up. )
So back to the store I go. To talk to the guy who stocks the vape supplies (We will call him Mr. Attitude). I explained the problems, presented him with both tanks and asked.. What do I do now? He sent me out the door with coils for my Aspire Nautilis But instead of the 1.6 ohms I had to get 2.8 oms. I asked what the difference was and if it needed more volts, etc if was a hotter hit... I was told no difference just a bigger cloud of vapor.
Took it home, replaced the coil and sat down to enjoy a good vape session. Yeah Not so fast it leaked and leaked all over. I did research, trouble shooting. Tried a bunch of tips from cleaning the whole tank and reassemble to replacing another coil in it. No avail. The ejuice runs out of the holes and down my arm... Sigh now Im getting frustrated. then it stops screwing into my battery box. My husband looks at it and says the threads are stripped on the box. Great, just great.
Meanwhile... My pile of vaping junk is getting bigger and Im back to a plastic tank on an ego battery that I had left over from the beginning. Now I have to yet again ask my husband to go through the shopping for a vape one more time and lay out another $150-$200 for a vape rig this weekend. This is not gonna be pretty.
My question.... What is going on? Is it normally this hard to find a decent rig? I dont need anything fancy. Im a housewife who just wants to vape so I dont start cigs again and so my husband chain smoking in the livingroom isnt giving me fits while I try desperately to avoid a relapse of the nastiess.
Theres so much info on this site but Im gonna be honest as a newbie, trying to read about all this stuff and understand the technical side of it all.... Its making it worse. Im not an engineering master. I dont wanna build stuff and experiment. I just want a tank that has good flavor and batteries that last for a day. Is this too much to ask?
*Sigh* signed "A very frustrated Vaper"

greasegizzard

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2015
Arkansas
I have a TC60W by eLeaf that has been pretty good to me so far. I've only had it for a few months, though. I got it with a Melo 2 tank, which I also like, for like $45 at a local shop. Would still be using the Melo 2, but I started wanting something I could rebuild on, so I picked up a couple of TFV4 tanks. I also have a KBox 70W and Vaporesso Target kit I won on here, but I am using my TC60W more than anything. The Target tanks are pretty decent and the cCell coils are amazing.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Vaping certainly is not as easy as smoking was. It is a lot of fiddling around trying to find what works best with what. I often say to my wife "I don't know how people vape that are not at least a little bit mechanically inclined". Keep plugging away as you seem to be pointed in the right direction. CHEERS!

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I feel your pain! Most of us have been through this to one degree or another.
A lot of good folks will be in here with great advice for you.
Since you like the Ego Twist level of vape and have stripped threads on your Kanger box,
possibly someone can recommend a tank compatible with that.
Most folks buy their supplies on-line to save money, but I can understand wanting to see it in person too.
Good luck to you!

greasegizzard

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2015
Arkansas
I got lucky with my starting. First time was a couple of CF-VV pens and Nautilus Mini tanks. Worked for six months before I went back to cigarettes, just because I was drinking and wanted some. This time, I found a vape shop that is not a chain. The guy who runs it is very knowledgeable and passionate about vaping, and very friendly. Runs a good business.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Well, it sounds like your main issue is that you have extremely poor local retail support. Ditch your local vendor immediately! As far as I know the only two OEM kanthal heads available for the Nautilus are 1.6 and 1.8ohm versions. That probably explains why you are having a leak issue with yours. If you really need to replace your mod "box", I recommend:

Eleaf iStick 30 Watt Base Kit - Basic, Mini, 30W, 50W - Eleaf iStick - Electronic Mods

For your Nautilus:

Aspire Nautilus BVC Coils Organic Cotton - Aspire Coils - Aspire - Tanks & Coils

Until a better retail operation opens in your area you are better off coming here for advice.

Last edited:

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hello @ShepherdMom69 . It doesn't sound like you got the right coils for the Nautilus, as I've found it to be a very reliable tank. The most recommended setup for new or high ohm (1.8 ohm) vapers is the Nautilus and the Eleaf iStick 30 watt (or equivalent mod).
4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

There are two main choices in picking out a mod (the battery part).
One is to get a mod with an internal battery where you recharge with a usb cable plugged into a wall plug or pc. On most of these you can vape while it charges (but you are tethered to a cable while it does). Eleaf iStick 30 watt , and Innokin Coolfire IV, as examples.
The other choice is to get a mod with replaceable batteries (usually 18650 size). When it needs recharged you just swap out the battery and put the old/used one in a separate battery charger (like the Nitecore Intellicharger i2-$15). The plus side is you aren't tethered by a cable, BUT you'll have to spend more money to begin for extra batteries (around $7 each online plus a charger). www.liionwholesale.com is a great place for you to find batteries and a charger as it's in Penn. (Samsung 25 r's or LG HG2's recommended)
The issue I have with the Kanger box is it doesn't have a spring loaded 510 pin (connection between mod and tank). It works well with Kanger products but has been known to fail with the other brands.

Temp control is the big thing currently in the vape world, but even if a mod has this function you can continue to run the mod in power mode for the Nautilus.

I've used these U.S. vendors with no issues, and usual shipping is 4 days to hand. :
www.myvaporstore.com
www.originvape.com
www.vapesupersaver.com
www.sweet-vapes.com
www.mtbakervapor.com
www.myfreedomsmokes.com
www.madvapes.com
www.gotvapes.com
www.vapeNW.com

You should also enter this contest, though it may take a month should you win, it's free.

Follow this link, click the "Enter Here Now" in red and enter the contest. The make at least one post in the thread like "I'm entered" or "Hello" (for example) and you'll be entered in the thread portion of the contest as well.
Running - Win again! 100 x Movkin Luggy VT60W & 100 Mini's up for grabs!

I would also suggest looking here, as around holidays more sales are going on:
DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals (go to last couple pages)
FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

I think online is the best way for you to get or find what you need. If you have any questions about specific gear or comparisons just make a new post and you'll find the help you need in ECF, and better advice than what you described having in person.

Good luck, you're now in the right place.

Last edited:
Hello,
Im having some issues on getting the right equipment and its getting frustrating. July 3rd 2014 I put down the cigarettes and picked up a vape and havent looked back (much) I havent touched a regular cig since but somedays it seems like it would be so much easier.
I started with a cheap kiosk vape pen. Plastic tanks. That route and upgraded batteries to an eGo twist. That worked for the 1st year. I got along pretty good with them but the tanks were $6 each and very unreliable. Some would last 2 days some would last 2 weeks.. But it worked to get me off the cigs.
Then my husband (Who pays for all the gear I buy) decided that I needed to get a better system so Im not needing a new tank all the time. We went shopping at the 1 vape store within a reasonable driving distance (I live in a very rural area, No city shopping for me)
I left with a Kanger box and an Aspire Nautilus tank, and extra batteries. To the tune of somewhere around $150 or a little more.
2 weeks later I needed more coils I got back to the store, They dont carry the coils. What? But a very helpful and somewhat clueless employee helped find me another tank that they do carry the coils for. It was a kanger tech protank 2. took it home.... Sigh and things went down hill fast.
It leaked and gurgled and cause all kinds of problems. I have to keep cleaning it up and suffering through mouthfuls of ejuice (Very un-tasty) coil after coil..but I was making it work, somehow. Then one day it quit screwing into my battery. Like the threads wore off. (Probably cause of all the leaking and constant removal to clean it up. )
So back to the store I go. To talk to the guy who stocks the vape supplies (We will call him Mr. Attitude). I explained the problems, presented him with both tanks and asked.. What do I do now? He sent me out the door with coils for my Aspire Nautilis But instead of the 1.6 ohms I had to get 2.8 oms. I asked what the difference was and if it needed more volts, etc if was a hotter hit... I was told no difference just a bigger cloud of vapor.
Took it home, replaced the coil and sat down to enjoy a good vape session. Yeah Not so fast it leaked and leaked all over. I did research, trouble shooting. Tried a bunch of tips from cleaning the whole tank and reassemble to replacing another coil in it. No avail. The ejuice runs out of the holes and down my arm... Sigh now Im getting frustrated. then it stops screwing into my battery box. My husband looks at it and says the threads are stripped on the box. Great, just great.
Meanwhile... My pile of vaping junk is getting bigger and Im back to a plastic tank on an ego battery that I had left over from the beginning. Now I have to yet again ask my husband to go through the shopping for a vape one more time and lay out another $150-$200 for a vape rig this weekend. This is not gonna be pretty.
My question.... What is going on? Is it normally this hard to find a decent rig? I dont need anything fancy. Im a housewife who just wants to vape so I dont start cigs again and so my husband chain smoking in the livingroom isnt giving me fits while I try desperately to avoid a relapse of the nastiess.
Theres so much info on this site but Im gonna be honest as a newbie, trying to read about all this stuff and understand the technical side of it all.... Its making it worse. Im not an engineering master. I dont wanna build stuff and experiment. I just want a tank that has good flavor and batteries that last for a day. Is this too much to ask?
*Sigh* signed "A very frustrated Vaper"

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Hello @ShepherdMom69 . It doesn't sound like you got the right coils for the Nautilus, as I've found it to be a very reliable tank. The most recommended setup for new or high ohm (1.8 ohm) vapers is the Nautilus and the Eleaf iStick 30 watt (or equivalent mod).
4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

There are two main choices in picking out a mod (the battery part).
One is to get a mod with an internal battery where you recharge with a usb cable plugged into a wall plug or pc. On most of these you can vape while it charges (but you are tethered to a cable while it does). Eleaf iStick 30 watt , and Innokin Coolfire IV, as examples.
The other choice is to get a mod with replaceable batteries (usually 18650 size). When it needs recharged you just swap out the battery and put the old/used one in a separate battery charger (like the Nitecore Intellicharger i2-$15). The plus side is you aren't tethered by a cable, BUT you'll have to spend more money to begin for extra batteries (around $7 each online plus a charger). www.liionwholesale.com is a great place for you to find batteries and a charger as it's in Penn.
The issue I have with the Kanger box is it doesn't have a spring loaded 510 pin (connection between mod and tank). It works well with Kanger products but has been known to fail with the other brands.

Temp control is the big thing currently in the vape world, but even if a mod has this function you can continue to run the mod in power mode for the Nautilus.

I've used these U.S. vendors with no issues, and usual shipping is 4 days to hand. :
www.myvaporstore.com
www.originvape.com
www.vapesupersaver.com
www.sweetvapes.com
www.mtbakervapor.com
www.myfreedomsmokes.com
www.madvapes.com
www.gotvapes.com
www.vapeNW.com

You should also enter this contest, though it may take a month should you win, it's free.

Follow this link, click the "Enter Here Now" in red and enter the contest. The make at least one post in the thread like "I'm entered" or "Hello" (for example) and you'll be entered in the thread portion of the contest as well.
Running - Win again! 100 x Movkin Luggy VT60W & 100 Mini's up for grabs!

I would also suggest looking here, as around holidays more sales are going on:
DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals (go to last couple pages)
FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

I think online is the best way for you to get or find what you need. If you have any questions about specific gear or comparisons just make a new post and you'll find the help you need in ECF, and better advice than what you described having in person.

Good luck, you're now in the right place.

Good post but you should fix your sweet-vapes link. It should be sweet-vapes.com

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
Wow that just sounds like bad luck and bad service :(

I consider myself lucky, i've only had a few teething issues in comparison. Can you get stuff online delivered? If so there are loads of places out there that stock Nautilus coils and i'll second the recommendation of an eLeaf iStick 30W. I use one with a Nautilus tank using 1.8 ohm coils i get from Amazon and i also use a Kanger Subtank Mini V2 which i'm looking to build my own coils with.

Reactions: ShepherdMom69

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Unfortunately, this is not an unusual story. Vaping is very individualized, and preferences vary over time. It would be helpful if you could tell us which Kanger box you have so we can tell you how to get the most out of it, but all of them are good equipment. Also, be aware your Nautilus tank is a good one and highly recommended for mouth-to-lung vaping. Further, you will probably find it easier and certainly cheaper to order coils for it online and have them delivered by mail. I'm pretty sure you just need some help getting it set up; many people get along well with your gear.

Another possible route is to get an RTA and build your own coils. There is some upfront expense for tools and parts-- a minimal kit would be $30-50, depending on what you want and have already-- and there is a learning curve involved but, once you learn how, it is far cheaper. If you can wind a wire around a toothpick, thread a needle, and can use a scissors and a small screwdriver without cutting yourself, you have the basic skills. Having eaten the cost of the tools, a $5 spool of wire and a bag of drugstore cotton balls will make several years worth of coils and wick.

I know how frustrating this can be for new, and let's be honest, even long-time vapers. Tons of products out there, you never know it you're buying something you'll like until after you've tried it, etc. It can be very frustrating. There are several new products in the store I go to that are considered "starter" kits that sell for less than $60 and are "complete" vape set-ups; that is to say, a tank and mod combo. If I were starting out or advising a newbie, I would recommend trying them.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Vaping certainly is not as easy as smoking was. It is a lot of fiddling around trying to find what works best with what. I often say to my wife "I don't know how people vape that are not at least a little bit mechanically inclined". Keep plugging away as you seem to be pointed in the right direction. CHEERS!
Im going to spin this around.
I was always embarrassed, and conscientious as a smoker; HOWEVER as a vaper,its a delightful fun hobby :)
Youll get great support here, and reliable online vendors can be really fast shippers too! some deliver lightning fast (I live in Hawaii and Hong Kong,order largely from US suppliers). Yes I think maybe a "guy thing" that some get super into the mechanical end of the hobby. For me (female)Its about tasting flavors and enjoying nicotine as a legal drug and consenting adult I find nicotine a great appetite suppressor, enjoyable slight pick me up on par with herbal energy things.
Hang in, its a little gear glitch, congrats on your success as quitting smoking. Vape on. Cheers.:vapor:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
It can be frustrating at first, but, after you learn the equipment you use it is quite simple.
To prevent stripping the threads in the 510 connector/where you thread the 'tank' to the power device do not over tighten, just barely finger tight will do. Just enough so the 'tank' won't wobble and it makes electrical connection.

The Nautilus is about as leak free as vaping gets if you use authentic Aspire BVC replacement heads (not BDC). They come in 1.6Ω & 1.8Ω.
They have a scratch off security code on the box so you can check authenticity on aspires website.
I'd stick with the standard Aspire nautilus replacement heads until you get the hang of it. None of the dual fit fancier replacements.

Make sure all gaskets are in place & nick/damage free.
Don't over tighten the tank to base, tighten the head tight into the base tight, make sure there isn't an old o ring stuck in the base where the head goes.
Always prime a new/unused head by dripping drops on top of the screen until wicking material is fully saturated. Fill tank, thread together, take a few un powered primer puffs, you should see a bubble or two rise from the wicking holes in the head. Let it sit for a few minutes, start off at a low power setting & gradually work your way up taking a few vapes on each setting until you find what you like.

You can always try different delivery devices, I'd stick with the nautilus until you figure it out.
The eleaf gs air tanks are cheap & have a good reputation.

If your local shopping choices are that limited & expensive I suggest shopping & buying online. There are many good legit vendors / dealers to chose from, they will be quite a bit less expensive than what you've been paying.

A good basic replacement would be an Eleaf istick 30w or 40w less than $35, or Kanger subox $30 ~ $60 depending on which model you chose.
There are literally a dozen of good low price power devices to chose from.

Since you've stated you don't want to build stuff, Ignore those that say you have to or should use a rebuildable.
Some folks push their method as the only way to do it right.

So sorry to hear the trouble you're going through! It is a learning curve.

I'm going to recommend getting the Nautilus MINI. I have 2 of the minis, and 2 full size Nautiluses. The minis are almost foolproof. I've NEVER had one of them leak (except for flying, but that was expected). On the other hand, the full size Nauitiluses can be fussy at times. One of mine I've given up on, the leaking is so bad. But the minis are going strong.

Make sure you get the right coils to go with them. Us the coils that are made for that tank - the box should say Aspire Nautilus BVC Replacement Atomizer. They come in 2 different resistances - either 1.6 or 1.8. There are differences between them, but I use the 1.8. My store always hands me the 1.8 coils when I come in, they work fine, so that's what I always use. There are other coils you can use...but for ease of use, just stick with the ones made for that tank. If you want to experiment, then you can learn more about them.

I hope you find something you're happy with! That's half the battle.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Welcome to ECF. Hang tough just a little longer; it sure is going to get much better.
Agreed don't go back to your local Vape Shop. The Aspire Tanks the Nautilus & Mini are really good Tanks when provide
D the correct Coils. 1.8ohm. IStick 20 is more than enough and once again cheap and easy @ $24
ECF is an excellent source of information with lots of supporters with experience.
Best wishes keep on Vaping.
Last but not least come back and hangout with us when frustrating moments arrive; we're here for you.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hey @ShepherdMom69. I'm sorry you're going through so much frustration. There is a little bit of effort needed.... It sure as heck isn't as easy as pulling out a smoke and flipping your Bic, right?

I use LOTS of Kanger PT2 tanks (I have one on my mod right now), and the ONLY time I had one leak on me was when the wick in my coil was too short that it shrunk up and all the juice decided to come trickling out.

Things to check when leaking - O-rings. That's the BIGGEST thing I've found. If you overtighten, you stress the o-ring or maybe pinch or tear it. If that's damaged, you could lose vacuum and stuff will start to ooze. (Of course, if you undertighten, same idea because there's no vacuum.)

I'm hoping you meant the Aspire 1.8Ω coils - I've never heard of 2.8s for the Nautilus/Mini. (I have these tanks as well, and I like them equally to my PT2s! You probably won't notice any difference between the 1.6 and the 1.8 coils. Same philosophy - don't overtighten. "Snug" is the operative word. Applies to setting the coils in the base to connecting the base to the tank.

Gurgling can also be related to not having the vape quite hot enough. For *ME*, when I'm running coils like those, in the 1.5-1.8Ω range, I'm generally firing around 9-10W. That delivers enough heat to vaporize the juice, but not so hot that it burns on me. Just have to dial in on what works for *YOU*

No need to go crunchy-munchy crazy on new gear. If you already have batteries, there are a lot of reasonable, single-battery mods these days. I have a Cloupor Mini+ and an eVic VTC Mini that I really like. I only dabble with TC toppers, so these are running mostly in VV/VW mode anyway. Recently ordered a Heatvape Defender II from HeavenGifts - it is overseas, you do have to pay for shipping, but the mod was on sale, so I bundled with a couple of other things I wanted/needed and paid about $12 for the mod.

I'm not sure about adapting or replacing the 510 connector on the Kbox. If you LIKE the Kbox, look for one online - I've seen some things on sale recently, so I can't imagine having to spend more than $30-ish or so to replace?

Good Luck :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
You might have received good advice, not sure, I use RDA's exclusively. You sound like a person who remembers/responds to the human voice better than what you read/retain. Your not alone.
Highly suggest taking your problems to two or more B&M local passionate vape stores. Do a show and tell at least twice (listen to their recommendations) and then make up your mind the best way to proceed.
All your problems may not be easily fixable but with little persistence can be solved. Vaping is extremely accommodating once you know what is wrong and how to control it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread