Vaping- means to and end or new lifetime habit?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Belchfire, Jan 16, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Belchfire

Belchfire Full Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Centreville VA
    Hello All,

First thread, first post, so I figured I would throw out a semi-controversial subject out to the masses. I just made the switch full time to vaping about 2 weeks ago after ending a 34 year habit. Not nearly as traumatic as I assumed it would be which got me thinking. What is my eventual goal? The vaping got me off cigarettes so do I take it all the way to full cessation of both or should I be content to continue vaping with a goal of using 0% nicotine. Is there a "right" choice among the people in this forum or is it purely a personal choice?

I see lots of sleek and elaborate mechanisms for vaping, with the price tags to boot. These devices are not indicative to me as the kind of devices someone just wanting to completely quit would buy. Though I have to admit the mods do afford better longevity and will be there in the event you feel yourself start to slip. But for the most part it looks like people get these mods to continue business as usual just not with tobacco.

So I was just curious about others' goals for themselves, what do you see in your future?

Be Well

2. DummyMe

DummyMe Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    North Carolina
    I enjoy vaping, but I'm cutting back on the nicotine. Will I quit? I don't know. But, I'm digging not smoking the cancer sticks & if I gotta vape the rest of my life, then so be it.

Ed

3. ChrispyCritter

ChrispyCritter Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I think it's about choice..if you choose you can quit..probably the best way to quit if you decide would be gradually cutting down the nic until you reach 0. As for the people who buy those crazy mods I think they are just a different breed :D I'm pretty happy with my eGo's and 510's and I was a 1-2 pack a day smoker. I might build some mods sometime but more because I like to tinker not for more vapor or looks...

4. moonlessnight

moonlessnight Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 21, 2011
    Spokane WA
    I don't know what the future may bring but for the time being I'm not giving up my pv for anything.

5. Goldenkobold

Goldenkobold Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 23, 2010
    Florida
    I think its a personal choice, some do quit even after buying really nice equipment...I look forward to those classified posts :p

I don't really want to quit but have found going without vaping is easier than going without cigarettes was.

6. bluegrasslover

bluegrasslover Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 23, 2011
    Willow Spring, NC
    I couldn't agree more. Besides, nicotine does good things for you. The drug companies said so!

7. jj2

jj2 Moved On Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    I enjoy vaping but do a lot less of these days. Most of the time, I use 0 nic.
    My goal has never been to stop and will probably not try to. I've quit analogs too many times just to revert back and if using my PV a few times a day stops that from happening, then I've exceeding my expectations.

8. Charlz

Charlz Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 14, 2011
    upstate NY
    less of a habit and more of a hobby.

9. TonyTT

TonyTT Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2011
    Ottawa
    They way I look at it, when I smoked, I wanted to quit badly, but it was very realistic to picture smoking for the rest of my short life. Why quit something that got you off analogs (that you woulda never quit), and is soooooooooo much better for you... I feel some people have the mentality of "oh I just cut gawd knows how many chemicals out of my daily routine, lets nit-pick and cut out everything". I will vape my entire life if it keeps me off of analogs. Why risk it?...we weren't chemical purists before?, why are we acting like it now? Everyday I remind myself that I smoked cause I'm weak and have an addictive personality. Why tempt fate.

10. kabonk

kabonk Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 1, 2010
    NW Detroit Burbs
    well I started with 36mg nic juice and I'm using 4mg juice now I guess the goal is 0mg I'm in no rush and I would probably do 0 nic for a long while if I decide to quit vaping sometime in the future I would just sell my mods in the classifieds, my most expensive mods were still cheaper then a months worth of cigarettes.

11. madsen6466

madsen6466 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    tennessee
    Right now it's full speed ahead... but I'm new and just glad to have more O2 in my blood! Who knows where I'll end up - but hopefully I'll get off the nic someday... maybe?

12. frosting

frosting Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2011
    Connecticut
    Its up to you. Some people quit altogether. Those folks are not here for obvious reasons. Others like myself fully enjoy the habit so stick around on ECF. Many people liked smoking they just didn't like the damage it was doing so a PV is a perfect fit for some in those circumstances.

13. tippyclubb

tippyclubb Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I started vaping at a low level of nicotine, 12mg and plan on cutting that down to 8 in a month or so. Slowly, I will work the level down to 0 and once that happens I see no reason to vape and most likely will quit.

I could not have stopped smoking without vaping but so far I see vaping as another addiction, although it is a healthy one, I'm still an addict. I put the analogs down New Years Eve and next year this time I will not be vaping. No more addictions for me.

I've spent over $400 since October on vaping and plan on spending even more on a new mod, vv or something soon. I was spending $2400 a year on analogs, so whats a few hundred bucks to aide in quitting? My vaping pays for itself when I compare what I was spending on stink sticks.

14. Paul_S

Paul_S Full Member

Oct 12, 2011
    TX,NJ,PA
    Getting off the nic is the primary goal, getting back to the "luxury" of "relaxing" with a relaxing past time is a complete perk. Plus, sticking it to the companies that infiltrated the luxury item with extra addictive substances is a huge perk, personally!

15. Belchfire

Belchfire Full Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Centreville VA
    Good stuff all.

I am an addict, seems I have the mental addiction as well as the physical. Though oddly I will probably be able to get off the nicotine long before the mental processes I incorporated smoking into. Like watching tv, being on the computer, etc. because I turned a cig into a reward or gap filler, that will be the hardest thing for me to break from if that is even feasible.

16. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I never wanted to quit smoking, and I am probably never going to quit vaping.
    The only way I would ever quit vaping is if they found out that there was something bad about it.

I also started at 12mg strength and have stayed there for over 30 months.
    I'm not planning on reducing that either, as long as my heart is healthy.

I like nicotine like a huge percentage of the population likes caffeine.
    And I firmly believe I am getting health BENEFITS from using it.

Your mileage may vary.
    :)

17. GiddyLydia

GiddyLydia Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 22, 2010
    Kentucky
    I hate cigarettes, but I love me some nicotine. Now I have an infinitely better delivery system.

18. FreeFire

FreeFire Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 8, 2012
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    Already in this short time vaping, there have been days I could take it or leave it. There is no way to predict the future. If the urgency and opportunity arise for a "needed" smoke, then by all means, the pv will be there to get through the tough time. Smoking, for most of us was as essential as food/water/sleep. Someone once said, "You don't NEED to smoke". That may be true in a perfect world but most of us, even those who gave it up for awhile return to the call of the demon. The best advice I have for anyone is simply, "one day at a time". I tell myself continually when tempted in any facet of life..."Don't be like a dog, returning to your own vomit". That always puts things in perspective. Vaping, as I see it is an escape route and a superior one at that. :)

19. dearme

dearme Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 2, 2011
    Colorado
    I don't have any intention of quitting vaping. I currently vape 24mg and may, or may not, cut down on the nic. I don't feel addicted to vaping, but I do enjoy it. The current belief is that nicotine without all the chemicals in cigarettes is no more harmful than caffeine. True or not, I prefer my personality and mental state with nicotine.

20. Shortstuff116

Shortstuff116 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2009
    Bellingham, MA
    I always believed I would die with a cigarette in my mouth. Now I'll be more than happy to do so with my Provari in my hand. I was one who always enjoyed smoking, but I enjoy vaping even more. Unless something changes, I will vape forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.