Vaping- means to and end or new lifetime habit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belchfire

Jan 16, 2012
Centreville VA
Hello All,

First thread, first post, so I figured I would throw out a semi-controversial subject out to the masses. I just made the switch full time to vaping about 2 weeks ago after ending a 34 year habit. Not nearly as traumatic as I assumed it would be which got me thinking. What is my eventual goal? The vaping got me off cigarettes so do I take it all the way to full cessation of both or should I be content to continue vaping with a goal of using 0% nicotine. Is there a "right" choice among the people in this forum or is it purely a personal choice?

I see lots of sleek and elaborate mechanisms for vaping, with the price tags to boot. These devices are not indicative to me as the kind of devices someone just wanting to completely quit would buy. Though I have to admit the mods do afford better longevity and will be there in the event you feel yourself start to slip. But for the most part it looks like people get these mods to continue business as usual just not with tobacco.

So I was just curious about others' goals for themselves, what do you see in your future?

Be Well

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
I think it's about choice..if you choose you can quit..probably the best way to quit if you decide would be gradually cutting down the nic until you reach 0. As for the people who buy those crazy mods I think they are just a different breed :D I'm pretty happy with my eGo's and 510's and I was a 1-2 pack a day smoker. I might build some mods sometime but more because I like to tinker not for more vapor or looks...

TonyTT

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
Ottawa
They way I look at it, when I smoked, I wanted to quit badly, but it was very realistic to picture smoking for the rest of my short life. Why quit something that got you off analogs (that you woulda never quit), and is soooooooooo much better for you... I feel some people have the mentality of "oh I just cut gawd knows how many chemicals out of my daily routine, lets nit-pick and cut out everything". I will vape my entire life if it keeps me off of analogs. Why risk it?...we weren't chemical purists before?, why are we acting like it now? Everyday I remind myself that I smoked cause I'm weak and have an addictive personality. Why tempt fate.

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
well I started with 36mg nic juice and I'm using 4mg juice now I guess the goal is 0mg I'm in no rush and I would probably do 0 nic for a long while if I decide to quit vaping sometime in the future I would just sell my mods in the classifieds, my most expensive mods were still cheaper then a months worth of cigarettes.

Last edited:

tippyclubb

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2011
Michigan
I started vaping at a low level of nicotine, 12mg and plan on cutting that down to 8 in a month or so. Slowly, I will work the level down to 0 and once that happens I see no reason to vape and most likely will quit.

I could not have stopped smoking without vaping but so far I see vaping as another addiction, although it is a healthy one, I'm still an addict. I put the analogs down New Years Eve and next year this time I will not be vaping. No more addictions for me.

I've spent over $400 since October on vaping and plan on spending even more on a new mod, vv or something soon. I was spending $2400 a year on analogs, so whats a few hundred bucks to aide in quitting? My vaping pays for itself when I compare what I was spending on stink sticks.

Last edited:

Belchfire

Jan 16, 2012
Centreville VA
Good stuff all.

I am an addict, seems I have the mental addiction as well as the physical. Though oddly I will probably be able to get off the nicotine long before the mental processes I incorporated smoking into. Like watching tv, being on the computer, etc. because I turned a cig into a reward or gap filler, that will be the hardest thing for me to break from if that is even feasible.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I never wanted to quit smoking, and I am probably never going to quit vaping.
The only way I would ever quit vaping is if they found out that there was something bad about it.

I also started at 12mg strength and have stayed there for over 30 months.
I'm not planning on reducing that either, as long as my heart is healthy.

I like nicotine like a huge percentage of the population likes caffeine.
And I firmly believe I am getting health BENEFITS from using it.

Your mileage may vary.
:)

FreeFire

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Twin Cities Minnesota
Already in this short time vaping, there have been days I could take it or leave it. There is no way to predict the future. If the urgency and opportunity arise for a "needed" smoke, then by all means, the pv will be there to get through the tough time. Smoking, for most of us was as essential as food/water/sleep. Someone once said, "You don't NEED to smoke". That may be true in a perfect world but most of us, even those who gave it up for awhile return to the call of the demon. The best advice I have for anyone is simply, "one day at a time". I tell myself continually when tempted in any facet of life..."Don't be like a dog, returning to your own vomit". That always puts things in perspective. Vaping, as I see it is an escape route and a superior one at that. :)

dearme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Colorado
I don't have any intention of quitting vaping. I currently vape 24mg and may, or may not, cut down on the nic. I don't feel addicted to vaping, but I do enjoy it. The current belief is that nicotine without all the chemicals in cigarettes is no more harmful than caffeine. True or not, I prefer my personality and mental state with nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread