Vaping...More harm then good? For me yes...Im done!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Just to be clarify since I got confused on this point once before and don't want to have go dig through that huge thread, CASAS is for industry advocacy, not consumer advocacy, correct?

No, that is not correct. The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association has the mission to "ensure the availability of effective, affordable and reduced harm alternatives to smoking by increasing public awareness and education; to encourage the testing and development of products to achieve acceptable safety standards and reasonable regulation; and to promote the benefits of reduced harm alternatives." http://casaa.org

The members are made up of vapers, snus and other smokeless tobacco users and vendors. The board of directors is specifically limited in the organizational bylaws to no more than 25% vendors to keep them from having a majority vote. So, CASAA is definitely not an e-cigarette industry group.

CASAA is not affiliated with nor beholden to any e-cigarette, tobacco or pharmaceutical companies.

CASAA's purpose is to promote truth and facts and fight against myths and misinformation regarding e-cigarettes and other smokeless tobacco products.

So, you can see why I'm concerned that what we post here is based in fact and not just conjecture or assumptions and the last thing I want to do is hide the truth.

Last edited:

Mr.JcP

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Taxsachusetts
I do have to add, though I am not about to quit vaping! I have many side effects as well. I on average drink 2-3 LARGE gatorades a day( i dont like water). Yet cramping still occurs.

I told my doctor I stated this and his response was "HMMMM interesting". I said, "you dont know anything about it"? He said, "No, nothing". I had run out of BP medicine and was in for a 6 month follow up to get more. My BP was perfect that day. I took this as a sign the vaping was helping. I expressed this to my doc. He said, "as long as the nicotine is in your system the rest of the chemicals are not relevant to your heart issues". Of course I said, "BS( to self) and didnt take my meds for another week, when I started having palpitations. I took my BP and it was the highest I had EVER seen it (promptly took my meds). So ok, scratch that theory... E-cigs are not good for your heart and NEVER will be as long as nicotine is being delivered. So as far as "Safe" yea they are not unless 0 mg and then what is the point ... less cancer risk?? Ok, I can buy that to a degree but "Safe" never.

I also get panic attacks now I never experienced before vaping. No,other "stresses" have been added to my life style in this period of time. Related, IDK.. Don't care but they are now a part of my life I could care to live w/o

So what my Doctor did confirm is - are they safe? No! Safer? maybe... But Cigs are no better. So rock and a hard place till we all get nic out of our systems.

Male in his 30's for age reference ...

babydoll

Aug 26, 2010
Georgia
Laguna6866,

I have also had symptoms, which I posted on here. This forum is supposed to be about sharing your experiences with vaping. I applaud you for being honest and letting people know that you had these symptoms. People NEED to know this. I had to quit vaping because of all the symptoms I have. I quit for 2 weeks and did not have any of the symptoms again. I do know that vaping had everything to do with my symptoms because that is the only thing different I have done during that time frame. It may have been a particular ejuice I was vaping, I'm not sure. Alot of "open-minded" people were very nice about the experience I had. I am not knocking vaping, and I am sure you are not either, but if someone is having symptoms of any kind, it needs to be expressed on this forum. I hope everything works out well for you. And, thanks again for informing others. The more we know, the better off we will be.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I do have to add, though I am not about to quit vaping! I have many side effects as well. I on average drink 2-3 LARGE gatorades a day( i dont like water). Yet cramping still occurs.

This may interest you: Effects Of Too Much Gatorade | LIVESTRONG.COM

I totally agree that people with certain conditions, such as high blood pressure, should probably avoid consuming too much of any stimulant that temporarily increases their blood pressure, such as nicotine and caffeine and (apparently) too much Gatorade (??)

Honestly, I think that nicotine causes my mild panic attacks/heart palpitations. I had them when I smoked and I still get them. My last check up (after a year of vaping) showed an ideal blood pressure reading and I was vaping up a storm before I got there. I also wore a heart monitor which showed no problems - go figure. I should also probably drink a bit of Gatorade, since I do get night leg cramps (have been for 4 years now) but apparently not TOO much Gatorade, lol. I've always been bad with my fluid intake and get dehydrated more easily now because PG does seems dehydrate a lot of people.

Last edited:

Mr.JcP

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Taxsachusetts
This may interest you: Effects Of Too Much Gatorade | LIVESTRONG.COM

I totally agree that people with certain conditions, such as high blood pressure, should probably avoid consuming too much of any stimulant that temporarily increases their blood pressure, such as nicotine and caffeine and (apparently) too much Gatorade (??)

Honestly, I think that nicotine causes my mild panic attacks/heart palpitations. I had them when I smoked and I still get them. My last check up (after a year of vaping) showed an ideal blood pressure reading and I was vaping up a storm before I got there. I also wore a heart monitor which showed no problems - go figure. I should also probably drink a bit of Gatorade, since I do get night leg cramps (have been for 4 years now) but apparently not TOO much Gatorade, lol. I've always been bad with my fluid intake and get dehydrated more easily now because PG does seems dehydrate a lot of people.

Cool article but all my blood work comes back as normal... I have had Hyponatremia in the past- Pre-vaping. Full leg lock up in sleep OMG that is painful! That is a summer issue for me as I labor in the heat ..

I also use 100% VG juices

Last edited:

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
People have a hard time being logical and temperate, and tend to leap to conclusions, all around. Laguna has reported some symptoms that I can't imagine putting up with for so long. There may or may not be some underlying problems he should look into. He may also have been outrageously dehydrated. But i hope he tells us how he feels a month or so after quitting vaping, and if he's better and stays off cigs, great, mission accomplished.

Last edited:

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
The-
This post was not in any way directed at you. It just so happened, i finally got the time to write it, following your post. With two little ones, time is hard to find... you know?!

As far as the "3 month" thing goes, that is the point when i started vaping heavy. The same point when i put down the analogs for good. The first three months of vaping, i really wasn't vaping too much, because i was still smoking almost a pack a day.

I understand regardless of what i say, many will question it. For instance- "it Took 3 months for vaping to affect you, now 3 days off vaping SOME things are subsiding...hhhm". What is the right answer? I am only telling what is in fact going on with me. I'm not making this up, or looking for attention (i hate attention!) So please, take it for what its worth!

I definitely understand that you're not making anything up!! And how difficult it is, finding time, with kids!

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA

I told my doctor I stated this and his response was "HMMMM interesting". I said, "you dont know anything about it"? He said, "No, nothing". I had run out of BP medicine and was in for a 6 month follow up to get more. My BP was perfect that day. I took this as a sign the vaping was helping. I expressed this to my doc. He said, "as long as the nicotine is in your system the rest of the chemicals are not relevant to your heart issues". Of course I said, "BS( to self) and didnt take my meds for another week, when I started having palpitations. I took my BP and it was the highest I had EVER seen it (promptly took my meds). So ok, scratch that theory... E-cigs are not good for your heart and NEVER will be as long as nicotine is being delivered. So as far as "Safe" yea they are not unless 0 mg and then what is the point ... less cancer risk?? Ok, I can buy that to a degree but "Safe" never.

I also get panic attacks now I never experienced before vaping. No,other "stresses" have been added to my life style in this period of time. Related, IDK.. Don't care but they are now a part of my life I could care to live w/o

So what my Doctor did confirm is - are they safe? No! Safer? maybe... But Cigs are no better. So rock and a hard place till we all get nic out of our systems.

Male in his 30's for age reference ...

There is simply no reasonable question that vaping could possibly be as harmful as smoking tobacco. "Safer? Maybe?" There simply is no maybe.. Anyone who could possibly find a way to imagine that vaping could possibly be anywhere near as harmful should watch this video... Impatient, go to 7:45 on the video

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor .. always has been .. always will be .. probably why your blood pressure was up.. Which, like you said, is NOT good for the heart. You can control how much nicotine is in your vapor. I use 8mg strength.

I can't think of anything in e-cig vapor that would cause panic attacks. I've heard of more than just a few people who go to vaping and still "miss" something (other than nicotine) that was in the cigarettes... I think they said they used snus and were okay, though

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
Really now.. 4000 chemicals in cigarettes.. They named a few in the video. Acetone, formaldehyde, pesticides, arsenic, cadmium, chromium..... and everyone knows or should know that it's COMBUSTION of the tobacco that is the big problem. The resulting carcinogen laden tar .. the tar that coats your lungs disabling the cilia .. all of those chemicals working on altering your bodies very dna..

If vaping is anywhere near as dangerous/harmful as cigarettes, I'll eat my hat and make love to hillary clinton

I won't say that some people don't have averse reactions to vaping.. I still think that most people who think they do, probably are having issues borne of ceasing tobacco use, though!!

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
Laguna,

I'm sorry you had so many problems:( I know I saw a post on these forums about PG being converted to an acid in your body and it can cause cramping and muscle tightness. I think it was lactic acid. Did you ever try 100% VG juices? In different flavorings?

The hot red face could be an allergic reaction. The need for an inhaler could also be an allergic reaction. My face turns beet red and I get wheezy during reactions and I itch like crazy. Benedryl halts it really quick- if it keeps happening to you. I started on Oct 10th with 100% VG juices because I heard they were less likely to cause a reaction. It's worked excellent (cept for cinnamon flavored juice-that did cause my lungs to start feeling wheezy).

Good luck to you and I hope you succeed in staying off both things!

Lori

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
  • Deleted by j0ker
  • Reason: insulting comment

rogerdugans

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
A house in the US
I do agree with Laguna, as much as we all like vaping, it is an alternative to smoking. I'm sure we are putting ourselves at more risks than not smoking or vaping. However, there are many members that have commented that they had terrible respiratory problems that subsided with vaping, for those that have switched to ecigs and develop respiratory problems I would hope they can stop vaping without returning to analogs and that they consult a doctor.

Laguna's input is valuable, honesty in the industry is vital. If someone has a bad experience we should not just discount it, but analyze what it means to us and our personal choices. As consumers, we should be aware to any risks. The cigarette industry used to tout cigarettes as a way to lose weight and made various other health claims in the past, the cigarette industry also put a lid on or discounted health concerns. Now we have a society in which cigarettes have been ingrained and glamourized. We also have 80-90% of lung cancer deaths that can be attributed to analogs. Vaping is a new industry and I think we should have learned from analogs and not repeat those mistakes if vaping does carry risks.

Vaping is an effective alternative to analogs, I tried to quit analogs and it was one of the worst experiences of my life; anxiety attacks, waking up in the middle of the night with those nicotine dreams, vertigo and feeling like I was going to pass out because my lungs were actually getting enough air. Vaping made it possible for me to stop analogs without having all those previous symptoms. I have also experienced muscle pains, but increasing my water intake has cured that particular side effect of vaping. We cannot be blind to the fact that there may be risk with vaping, but if there is a choice between analogs and vaping I feel for myself that vaping is the more preferable risk at this time. I know I can't quit completely at this point, but I know I don't want to go back to analogs.

Excellent post.

Congrats to the OP for getting off vaping as well- my long term goal is to be nicotine free as well.
But I don't see the value in waiting to go to the doctor either: vaping may have created the problem or made it worse, whatever. While I may not think doctors know "everything" (as many doctor seem to think!) they HAVE spent a lot of time on a medical education and know far more than I do.

Vagablonde

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
California via Norway
I have been vaping for about a year now. I will forever be greatfull to ecigs for i have been analog free for 8 months because of using them. But, that was then, this is now-

Through my journey of ecigs, i have tried just about every single mod, juice, mg, and combination of juice mixes available. My high hopes of the ecig being my savior from analogs, i guess you can say kind of blinded me from what was actually going on.

In the last year, i have gone through FOUR inhalers, due to not being able to breath properly. I have never in my life needed one of those things until vaping. I am 37 years old! I was a 21 year, pack a day smoker. Looking back in hindsight, i felt much better when i was smoking analogs... let me explain:

Aside from the not being able to breath properly, i have experienced terrible muscle cramping, pain in my lower kidney area, as well as periodic hot flashes where my face feels like it is on fire! No, i havent gone to the doctor yet for the above. Now that i am done with vaping, im pretty sure these symptoms will subside. If not, i will definitely get checked out. Not to mention the added anxiety (mild panic attacks) vaping has brought me.

This post in in NO WAY intended to discourage anybody from achieving the ultimate goal of quitting analogs. I was able to using an ecig, and you can too. I just feel i paid a "price" for using the ecig to quit. I wish all trying to quit analogs the best of luck! And my hats off to those who havent experienced any problems using ecigs-

Today my "new" journey begins...staying off analogs, and ecigs...wish me luck!!!!!!:?:

good luck on your new journey..
thanks to post an honest review for your experiance,I think it's important to see all aspects of ecigs and the possible affects they might have.
I hope that you update this post and let us know how you progress to stop vaping and if your symptoms subside.

erischilde

Nov 26, 2010
Toronto
oi! one other possibilty?

there's the slight chance that the timing is just coincidence, and that you are experiencing effects from some sort of ailment, or a hangover from analogue (no matter how protracted) or something else.

stopping it the vape is an awesome first step, and good luck on killing your nic habits, but i'd still check in with an MD asap... just to be certain :)

earlfleetwood

Nov 2, 2010
NY
Everything you have posted has a spin on it. People are having negative effects from vaping. You are trying to say it is something else, or that it isn't common. Hey, it actually is! Some chose to post, some quit and go away and some work through it. I get horrible headaches. Not from withdrawl, not from too much or too little nicotine, most likely from PG. Are ECigs safer than traditional cigarettes? No doubt in my mind. Am I having an adverse reation to PG, yup!! PG is a nasty chemical. You can talk it up that its FDA approved all you want, it was approved many many years ago. It would never get approved now, but is too much part of society. That being said, we are inhaling it! I will try straight VG. The jury is still out, and I guess we will all figure it out. But, Kristin, until you can put a report in my hand that says that it is safe, that was not paid for by someone that is associated with ecigs, you are no authority. At least we all know tobacco isn't safe, we truely don't know what ecigs are at this point. 5 years from now, we could all have lung cancer because PG is more toxic than they knew, because up to this point, when has anyone ever inhaled this much on a daily basis??? Never!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread