Vaping near computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
As most of us are aware the vapor we exhale does build up on things eventually, I recently opened up my computer case to clean it out and found an alarming amount of liquid around and on the fans. The only posts I've found on this very subject all conclude that it is "harmless condensation", well, that is not an accurate description of my findings at all. Anyways, just something to think about.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
are you blowing your vapor directly into your computer or something? I have an open case custom build computer. I vape every day heavily and there is no condensation, it might be cuz of the open airhole case though, it has venting and big fans all around it, so it probably dries up fast or just never goes in since I have 3 fans in it.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I do definitely think that some liquids can leave a residue.

One of my local vape shops has a facebook page, and on the page I saw a few videos of people vaping like crazy in the shop and blowing vape all over the merchandise and the liquids that are on the shelf.

Apparently, the best way to advertise for a new liquid is to take a video of somebody blowing huge clouds on the product.

I bought a bottle of premium liquid from that shop, and I noticed that the glass bottle was actually a little bit sticky. I had to wipe it down.

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
are you blowing your vapor directly into your computer or something? I have an open case custom build computer. I vape every day heavily and there is no condensation, it might be cuz of the open airhole case though, it has venting and big fans all around it, so it probably dries up fast or just never goes in since I have 3 fans in it.

Ive been using one of these for the past 6-7 years or so. With a total of 5 different 120mm fans it has "massive airflow" :D I usually have the front panel open which might attribute some to the collection of liquid. Oh and to answer your question, no, I don't blow vapor directly into, or on to my computer... :facepalm:

Antec P180 case:
11-129-017-09.jpg

Reactions: four2109

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Ive been using one of these for the past 6-7 years or so. With a total of 5 different 120mm fans it has "massive airflow" :D I usually have the front panel open which might attribute some to the collection of liquid.

Antec P180 case:
11-129-017-09.jpg
thats the same case I have :)

Reactions: Dioxyde

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
In all seriousness yes vapor in certain circumstances can leave behind noticeable moisture. On my Reo if I don't "vape" a full puff you can see droplets around the atty. Try to blow it away from the PC, I used to have to do the same thing while smoking near mine or you got the cigarette spider webs of death in the fan grilles.

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Airflow or not, there is vapor getting in there. None of us, or should I say most of us, (there's always one) are not going to go into our computers, (laptop or desktop) and take a ph strip or something like that and run tests in a lab to see if its coating our processors and memory and other important bits on our mother board. But Id bet a buck it is and it's not good. :)

Then look at us when we smoked cigarettes. We did our best to keep it clean, but Im sure if one was to take a q-tip and wipe it on important areas we would find a nice thick coating of yellow nic and ashes etc.

Only way we can safeguard our machines is to have filter pads or a large clean room set up. Wear those "bunny suits" and not bring anything in where we have our computers.

Like everything, Im sure in a few years someone will release the outcome of some study and have us panicking about something vape related.

Someday we might get a ticketed for impairing our sight while driving. We will see anti vaping ads similar to the anti texting while driving.

Use your better judgement and be logical.

Am I going to vape while I use my computer? YES... If I didnt then Id either not ever be able to use my computer or never have time to vape :)
Am I replacing all my carpet and clothing ? NO
Am I not going to wear "fragrances" or sneeze or.....etc.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Not looking to cause any kind of panic here folks, just a possibility to be aware of, you should clean out your computers every so often anyways. If you are not finding liquid in there then don't worry about it.

He says that as news reports of hundreds of vapers taking their MACs to the Genius bars and having them detailed.....

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Back when people were talking about getting condensation and films inside their car windows and such, I never saw anything like that. This past winter, when it was freezing outside and warm inside, the windows in our house would sweat and drip. After all that cleared up, I noticed the window in my computer room did have a bit of a smeary film on it, and a little less on the kitchen windows, none that I could see on any other windows. Never on my computer screen, and I exhale right on it many hours a day.

I'm guessing it does have something to do with humidity/condensation. That's just my experience. YMMV.

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
If anyone get injured in the panic, I will turn you in as the "instigator" of Thinking :)

BTW, Love your avatar, one of my favorite actors in one of my favorite films.
Nice me too!

Lets see here...

We have a guy that lives in Oregon who has condensation building up, and another in California who doesn't.

Something tells me the humidity in Oregon is higher than in California. Could that be it?

Safe to say it factors in to the build up and lack of drying up, but I'm sure the liquid itself is a result of my return to vaping and acquisition of newer devices that produce a lot more vapor, it makes sense as far as I can tell. How bad it really is, who knows, it might take quite awhile for a build up to develop that could actually harm anything and quite possibly never would, but generally I try to keep uncontained liquids outside of my computer and think most people are interested in doing the same so I figured I'd just mention it, I don't think there's any mysteries to solve or one-size-fits-all solution for everyone since everyones environments, computers and vaping habits are going to be different, there's also the role of flavorings.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Safe to say it factors in to the build up and lack of drying up, but I'm sure the liquid itself is a result of my return to vaping and acquisition of newer devices that produce a lot more vapor, it makes sense as far as I can tell. How bad it really is, who knows, it might take quite awhile for a build up to develop that could actually harm anything and quite possibly never would, but generally I try to keep uncontained liquids outside of my computer and think most people are interested in doing the same so I figured I'd just mention it, I don't think there's any mysteries to solve or one-size-fits-all solution for everyone since everyones environments, computers and vaping habits are going to be different, there's also the role of flavorings.

Thanks for the heads up, it makes a lot of sense that the same stuff that condenses on my windows would be condensing in my computer too, though it is a bit warmer in there. I'll have to check it out sometime and I'll probably do it soon as I haven't cleaned in there for a couple of years now.

I do use an app on here that monitors CPU temperature, fan speed and some other good things to know about my computer's health and I have not seen any increase in CPU temp over the years that I've been vaping, but being aware that it could be an issue is good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread