Vaping needs a lobby in DC. Would you contribute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
We, the vapers, spent more than $2.2B in 2014 on gear, juice, and various vaping supplies. That's a pair of 2's with EIGHT ZEROS behind it! The estimates for what we will have spent by the end of 2015 are even higher. Imagine if a fraction of that money was spent raising awareness and telling the truth about vaping to counter the lies and negative propaganda being spread by BT, BP, and others. Imagine if a portion of that was used to help prevent new legislation that would cripple if not condemn the industry. How much would you be willing to contribute to help keep the government from regulating vaping out of existence? Would you whip out the checkbook once a year and donate $100 or $1000 of the money you are saving by vaping instead of smoking? I'm guessing probably not or there would be no need for me to post this. What if you could donate from a different angle? What if it was easy and painless? What if someone else did it for you? Would you be game?

My idea is this. Every time we purchase something through a PARTICIPATING online shop or B&M, they collect a 1% mandatory donation. They charge 1 penny for every dollar (pre-tax) we spend, and give that to a non-profit organization whose sole purpose is to spread the GOOD word about vaping. Not just on a website you have to visit on your own, but on TV, in magazines, on the radio, on the front steps of the White House and houses of congress. Don't just passively talk, but get in peoples faces and make them listen! There are several organizations out there already, but I haven't seen one try this approach yet. In return for participating, stores would get free advertising via the organization. The organization would get tons of money. And we would get a voice loud enough to be heard over the millions and millions of dollars BT, BP, and our own government are throwing at the campaign against us.

There are millions of us just here in the US who vape. I see us all here on ECF witching and moaning every day. Signing petitions, reading articles, sharing info, etc... But I don't see anyone standing on a mountain top screaming into a bullhorn. The new commercial for "abilionlives" is the first thing I've seen from an industry that has been around for more than a decade now. We need a collective voice with dollars to throw around.

My question is this: Would a store that made you donate 50 cents when you bought a $50 mod be a turn off to you? Would you see the "fee" on your bill and be peeved. Would you swear to never shop there again? Would you see it and be happy to participate? Would you LOOK FOR participating vendors when you went shopping? What do you think? It would be a selling point for me. I would look for participating vendors and would probably pay a few extra bucks if they didn't have the best price just to help us all out. Share your thoughts, folks! :):thumb::vapor:

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I totally agree.

Right now we have no lobbying from anyone! We have organizations rallying "consumers" to do something. That's all good but doesn't do the major thing we need, which is lobbying.

We need something like the NRA. They get the best to lobby and push for their rights. That's what we need! We are to disorganized!

So yeah, I'd do it!

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Having encouraged you to make this thread, without knowing what your idea was...

This idea has been brought to CASAA a few times over the years.
The concern is the cost for the infrastructure to verify that such funds were going where they were intended.

Solve that problem, and you might have something!!

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
Can CASAA not be trusted to use the funds appropriately? My understanding of the organization is that they are there to do exactly what I described. It shouldn't be hard to see the results of extra funding if they applied it in the manner I described.They shouldn't need any additional infrastructure. Just a few more employees/volunteers to create and disseminate the ads and literature.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Can CASAA not be trusted to use the funds appropriately? My understanding of the organization is that they are there to do exactly what I described. It shouldn't be hard to see the results of extra funding if they applied it in the manner I described.They shouldn't need any additional infrastructure. Just a few more employees/volunteers to create and disseminate the ads and literature.
No, it's more that the vendors can be trusted to account for and send the money forward.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
That's easy enough. Participating vendors would need to send quarterly sales info along with a check. Companies could be required to send copies of their tax forms in to make sure that at least the sales they are reporting to the government are accounted for. Any vendor who lied and kept the money could be publicly called out and sued for the fraud.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
and in all honesty..........

The Manufacturers are the ones that should be being solicited to Support their industry well being just as BT and BP have over the years. There is potential for a much more massive market development and huge rewards for a small investment.

The idea is great, the target audience is wrong.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
That's easy enough. Participating vendors would need to send quarterly sales info along with a check. Companies could be required to send copies of their tax forms in to make sure that at least the sales they are reporting to the government are accounted for. Any vendor who lied and kept the money could be publicly called out and sued for the fraud.
I have no idea how workable that idea is, but it's worth sending in...
Contact CASAA

If nothing else, their feedback on your idea would be worth the effort.

I'd love to see something like this happen.
Been wanting something like this for years now.
:)

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I have no idea how workable that idea is, but it's worth sending in...
Contact CASAA
Sent a link to this thread.

The Manufacturers are the ones that should be being solicited to Support their industry well being
Somehow I don't think a bunch of Chinese businessmen going to Washington and asking the government to change their minds would go over very well.

Reactions: David Wolf

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    and in all honesty..........

The Manufacturers are the ones that should be being solicited to Support their industry well being just as BT and BP have over the years. There is potential for a much more massive market development and huge rewards for a small investment.

The idea is great, the target audience is wrong.
    I agree.
    One of the reasons the NRA has clout is its membership, but more so the support from manufactures.

Reactions: Racehorse

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    East Midlands, United Kingdom
    My advocacy when I was doing it was direct face to face with politicians at local, county and national level and I can tell you it's exhausting dealing with politicians and extremely time consuming often taking one step forward and two back. It's not a small thing and you need both a very thick skin and the patience of a saint all for very little gain as your dealing with a world that bears no relation to the one you live in it's a very weird world the political one. On paper it sounds easy and practical but in reality to get to those who can really influence at the level you need can take months for an initial meeting and then many more months of intermittent meetings all designed in the hope the trouble will be enough for you to get fed up and go away. Maybe it's different in the US but personally I think this idea is two to three years past the point it would have helped and if you do it the regulations will be in force before you make any progress. Sorry to sound so depressing about this but experience has taught me that this route is very difficult and slow not what we need right now.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Sent a link to this thread.

Somehow I don't think a bunch of Chinese businessmen going to Washington and asking the government to change their minds would go over very well.

The money, not the companies. You think BT Executives sit in Washington meetings?
    Paid Lobbyist and Lawyers.

Have a look at the $$$ in Giveaways just on ECF, add in the ones on Social Media.
    tens of thousands that Could go toward protecting Their future as well as ours.

A ton of us kicking a penny on the dollar would not make a dent in their potential.

*and Not all Manufacturers are Chinese or located in China.:oops:

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 21, 2013
    chattanooga, tn, usa
    Several states have hired lobbiest to rep. for vaping in the state capitols. By joining and donating to TSFA (TN Smoke Free Assn.) hubby and I hopefully have a voice. I would, however, donate for a national voice in Washington.....Seems like everyone else has a place on "J" Street.....or is that "K"? Doesn't matter. D.C. is infested with them.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Not sure Why this Wouldn't go over Well?

Their Money is Just as Green as Mine is.

Reactions: Racehorse

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    I will decide who and what I donate to. Any business levying a "mandatory" donation just lost a sale AND my business.

Now, if a business is donating a portion of their profits to something worthy, then they'll get a repeat customer.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    East Midlands, United Kingdom
    It's a mute argument anyway only way lobbying would work is to hire one of the big professional lobbying companies and good luck finding one that isn't already in the pay of our opponents and smaller companies simply don't have the access to get any meaningful change in a timely fashion.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    As long as the money was used to educate and enlighten.

I have problems when it comes to contributing to certain organizations or shopping at some establishments that are funding candidates that I can't support. I'm a bleeding heart liberal, and there are issues that matter more to me than vaping.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread