Vaping Ni80 metallic taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riffeur

Jun 18, 2016
I've been vaping for almost 10 months and wanna try to change from khantal to ni80. I bought a VGOD pro mech kit that comes with the rdta.Which is a clone that i bought for 30 dollars.My builder put dual coil pararel 24 g ni80 5 wraps and it taste like sucking a penny or metallic taste. The thing is my friend also put on the same exact coil as i am, when i tried his, it taste like heaven. I dont know what the reason is but can you guys give me any solution for this?
Battery lg h2
mod vgod pro mech (clone)
Rdta vgod rdta (clone)
0.11 ohms (around 90-110 watts)

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The metallic taste can come from a hot leg, coil not heating evenly, arching/too close to other metal, too tight wicking.

I'd suggest removing that coil & wrapping one that is in a safe range for the battery you're using.
.11 on a single battery mechanical is not safe & could easily become dangerous.
Considering the LG HG2 is a 20a CDR cell you are severely over stressing the battery, there are also fake LG hg 2's on the market that are lesser quality.
4.2v / .11Ω = 38.1a
4v / .11Ω = 36.3a
3.7v / .11Ω = 33.6a
3.2v /.11Ω =29a

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've been vaping for almost 10 months and wanna try to change from khantal to ni80. I bought a VGOD pro mech kit that comes with the rdta.Which is a clone that i bought for 30 dollars.My builder put dual coil pararel 24 g ni80 5 wraps and it taste like sucking a penny or metallic taste. The thing is my friend also put on the same exact coil as i am, when i tried his, it taste like heaven. I dont know what the reason is but can you guys give me any solution for this?
Battery lg h2
Mod vgod pro mech (clone)
Rdta vgod rdta (clone)

A 0.11 Ohms Build on a Single Battery Mech Mod is a Dangerously Low Ohm build for that (or Any 18650) Battery.

Voltage / Resistance = Amps

4.1 / .11 = 37.3 Amps

You are Drawing 37.3 Amps on a Battery that is Rated at 20 Amps.

You Should Not Be Using Anything Lower than 0.23 Ohms on a Mechanical Mod with a 20 Amp Battery.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I strongly recommend you raise the coil value quite a bit on a one-battery tube. In my opinion, .11Ω is far too low for a single battery. I personally never build below .3Ω on my tubes; and I don't recommend below .5Ω because you never know who's listening. That said, switch to SS316 wire and don't worry about tasting it ever again.

Riffeur

Jun 18, 2016
I strongly recommend you raise the coil value quite a bit on a one-battery tube. In my opinion, .11Ω is far too low for a single battery. I personally never build below .3Ω on my tubes; and I don't recommend below .5Ω because you never know who's listening. That said, switch to SS316 wire and don't worry about tasting it ever again.
Thanks for the suggestion but i really want to try using ni80 or ni200 for now.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
No, The vtc5 is a 20a CDR cell also.
The fully charged voltage of an 18650 is 4.2v, with a mechanical use 4.2v in amp calculation as a slight built in saftey factor.

The only true 30a CDR cells are LG HB series 1500mah.
It is never safe or a good idea to exceed any cells actual CDR.
4.2 /.12Ω = 35a
4v /.12 = 33.3a
3.7v / .12 = 30.8a

There are no, none, zip, zero 18650 batteries that have more than a true 30a CDR, those you mentioned (awt mxjo) are re wrap falsely rated / labeled.

Ni200 wire should only be used with a temperature control power device, not a mechanical.
Ultra low resistances & especially temp control type wire are best suited to regulated power devices with a functioning temp control mode.

I suggest you stop using the mechanical until you get a grasp on basic battery saftey & selection, ohms law, usage of differing wire types and wrapping coils.
What you're doing is dangerous for yourself & those around you.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Then how do you i achieve vaping safely around 0.12-0.15 ohms?

For a Single Battery Mech Mod? You really Can't.

There is just a Limit as to how Low you can make a Build before you Exceed what a Single 18650 Battery can Safely Handle.

It's like wanting to Run you Clothes Dryer on a $2.49 pencil thin Extension Cord. You just Can't do it safely.

If you Want to go down into a 0.12 ~ .015 Range and then run it at 90+ watts, you should be Doing it on a Multiple Battery Regulate Mod.

Riffeur

Jun 18, 2016
For a Single Battery Mech Mod? You really Can't.

There is just a Limit as to how Low you can make a Build before you Exceed what a Single 18650 Battery can Safely Handle.

It's like wanting to Run you Clothes Dryer on a $2.49 pencil thin Extension Cord. You just Can't do it safely.

If you Want to go down into a 0.12 ~ .015 Range and then run it at 90+ watts, you should be Doing it on a Multiple Battery Regulate Mod.
Alright then gonna use my Therion 167 DNA 200 then, thanks for the advice!

Reactions: zoiDman

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Battery lg h2
Rdta vgod rdta (clone)
Some folks have better taste than others. Might lets know if your friend finds your build metallic.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Battery lg h2
Rdta vgod rdta (clone)
Besides the good advice you've gotten that your coil is way to low of resistance for your battery, you really don't want to vape Nichrome 80 at high temperatures or dry burn it or otherwise oxidize it. You will get a metallic taste then. Vape NI80 at low to moderate power and temps and it's cleaner than kanthal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread