Vaping nicotine as a never-smoker, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixunderground

Aug 6, 2015
Scandinavia
Browsing these forums, I have gotten the impression that vaping as a never-smoker is frowned upon by many (most?) in the vaping community. Even more so if vaping nicotine.

I get it that some of you after having suffered for decades with tobacco addiction want to avoid having others go down the same road, but the two can't actually be compared in terms of overall negative effects.

So really, I find this sort of stigmatization unfounded and unreasonable.

Personally, as a never-smoker, I have started vaping with the intention of getting a "quick boost" via nicotine, much like I already do with a double-shot espresso with lots of caffeine, when I need to throughout the day, in a convenient pocketable form factor. Which let's face it, is also kind of cool.

This is after getting very favorable nootropic-like results with nicotine patches. In my experience I see little difference between nicotine alone and caffeine.
As a matter of fact, I find caffeine worse in terms of withdrawal.

I don't have much of a tendency to addiction myself, and besides, nicotine by itself seems to have negligible negative health effects according to research, as well as limited addiction potential, so I really don't see any reason not to use it standalone.

Nicotine ≠ Tobacco

Also, I find the concern of vaping risking of becoming a gateway to smoking to be unfounded.
I can't ever see myself nor anyone else who has willingly avoided them for >2 decades, going suddenly over to smoking analog cigarettes being aware of their catastrophic impact on health.

Also, as more youths come of age, wanting to try out nicotine it'll be much better to get them vaping over smoking/snus or dealing with tobacco in general.

So why should able-minded never-smokers adults be stigmatized for wanting to vape nicotine?

EDIT:
If anyone wants to form for themselves an educated opinion about Nicotine's merits and facts, make yourself a favor and read this: Nicotine - Gwern.net

Last edited:

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
The short answer is because unless Big Tobacco and Big Pharma can operate under the assumption that e-cigarettes are every bit as dangerous as cigarettes, then the wheels come off health insurance, taxation, fines for 'smoking' in public and various other monetary smash and grab attempts!

T

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
My opinion, adults are free to do what they choose. I just don't know why someone would choose to pick up an addiction? Everyday I was chained to cigarettes I thought, you have to stop. But I felt hopeless. Thank God for vapeing! And yes, I personally have no plans to give up nicotine, it is soothing. But I'm already hooked. Double edged sword I guess? I can't tell someone else to not pick up what I can't put down, but why pick it up if you're doing alright without it? Either way, if you're of age, you decide. Either way, you're welcome here!

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Browsing these forums, I have gotten the impression that vaping as a never-smoker is frowned upon by many (most?) in the vaping community. Even more so if vaping nicotine.

I get it that some of you after having suffered for decades with tobacco addiction want to avoid having others go down the same road, but the two can't really be compared in terms of overall negative effects.

Personally, as a never-smoker, I have started vaping with the intention of getting a "quick boost" via nicotine, much like I already do with a double-shot espresso with lots of caffeine, when I need to throughout the day, in a convenient pocketable form factor. Which let's face it, is also kind of cool.

This is after getting very favorable nootropic-like results with nicotine patches. In my experience I see little difference between nicotine alone and caffeine.

I don't have much of a tendency to addiction myself, and besides, nicotine by itself seems to have negligible negative health effects according to research, as well as limited addiction potential, so I really don't see any reason not to use it standalone.

Nicotine ≠ Tobacco

Also, I find the concern of vaping risking of becoming a gateway to smoking to be unfounded.
I can't ever see myself nor anyone else who has willingly avoided them for >2 decades, going suddenly over to smoking analog cigarettes being aware of their catastrophic impact on health.

Also, as more youths come of age, wanting to try out nicotine it'll be much better to get them vaping over smoking/snus or dealing with tobacco in general.

So why should able-minded never-smokers adults be stigmatized for wanting to vape nicotine?

I found the problem with your line of "thinking";

Its all the "I dont see's"

The inventors of the Hindenburg and the Titanic "didnt see" anything wrong with their designs.

From all accounts, Hitler "didnt see" anything wrong with his actions either.

Your same "logic" could be applied to just about any illicit drug or foolhardy act known to man......with the same disastrous results.

In fact, the Darwin Awards are chock full of stories just like that.

Go ahead, you seem bound and determined to convince yourself and others that this is a good idea. When you eventually realize it wasnt, dont say no one warned you.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
There are two errors in your post...

1. Nicotine has many health benefits but certain people don't want you to know that.

2. You are applying logic, reasoning and known facts to the problem. That is a terrible mistake. The world is ruled by propaganda and politics. Facts and logical reasoning are not part of the decision making process.

The question of who should or shouldn't be allowed access to nicotine comes up here often, usually in regard to juveniles. I only have one answer... why should nicotine be any more controlled than caffeine? Or, conversely, if juveniles should not be able to buy nicotine, then what are we going to do to control juvenile access to caffeine? And don't forget that caffeine goes far beyond coffee. We need to restrict soft drinks (unless caffeine free of course!). And then those evil chocolates, just chock full of caffeine. We need to put that behind special counters where only adults can purchase it.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I found the problem with your line of "thinking";

Its all the "I dont see's"

The inventors of the Hindenburg and the Titanic "didnt see" anything wrong with their designs.

From all accounts, Hitler "didnt see" anything wrong with his actions either.

Your same "logic" could be applied to just about any illicit drug or foolhardy act known to man......with the same disastrous results.

In fact, the Darwin Awards are chock full of stories just like that.

Go ahead, you seem bound and determined to convince yourself and others that this is a good idea. When you eventually realize it wasnt, dont say no one warned you.

You might want to explain to the op why his desire to ingest nicotine, which has been proven over and over to be no more harmful than caffeine, and in fact has numerous health benefits, is being equated to exterminating millions of people by the most hated man of the 20th century, and the use of drugs that are so evil they cannot even be mentioned here by name.

He may have missed your point. And to be honest I did too. Please explain exactly why nicotine is that evil.

@unixunderground: if you came here looking for reasoned discourse, you should understand by now you won't find it here. Sorry. And welcome to ECF :)

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
You might want to explain to the op why his desire to ingest nicotine, which has been proven over and over to be no more harmful than caffeine, and in fact has numerous health benefits, is being equated to exterminating millions of people by the most hated man of the 20th century, and the use of drugs that are so evil they cannot even be mentioned here by name.

He may have missed your point. And to be honest I did too. Please explain exactly why nicotine is that evil.

@unixunderground: if you came here looking for reasoned discourse, you should understand by now you won't find it here. Sorry. And welcome to ECF :)

I think its pretty self explanatory....at least for those of us whose elevators go all the way to the top floor.

Men and women can justify and rationalize just about anything to themselves. That justification/rationalization combined with a lack of foresight does not excuse ones actions. Nor does it make those actions right, positive for the individual and/or society...or even intelligent for that matter.

What if I said: " I dont see how striking a match while pumping gas is dangerous?"

Ridiculous right?

So is this justification.

Calling out others in this community for "stigmatizing" a bad decision, is an attempt to have ones cake and eat it too.

And I'm sorry to tell you this, but it doesnt work that way here in the real world.

You are free to make you own decisions, good or bad, as an individual.

Im also free to call those decisions stupid or not as I see fit.

TBH with you if you truly have the courage of your convictions then the opinion of myself or others shouldnt matter one whit to start with.

The fact that our opinions bug you,at least in regards to this particular subject, should tell you something.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
At the end of the day, the decision to vape is all yours, no matter what other people think about it.
And that, right there, is the best answer. No human being has the "right" to tell you what you can and cannot put into your body.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I think its pretty self explanatory....at least for those of us whose elevators go all the way to the top floor.

Men and women can justify and rationalize just about anything to themselves. That justification/rationalization combined with a lack of foresight does not excuse ones actions. Nor does it make those actions right, positive for the individual and/or society...or even intelligent for that matter.

What if I said: " I dont see how striking a match while pumping gas is dangerous?"

Ridiculous right?

Calling out others in this community for "stigmatizing" a bad decision, is an attempt to have ones cake and eat it too.

And I'm sorry to tell you this, but it doesnt work that way here in the real world.

You are free to make you own decisions, good or bad, as an individual.

Im also free to call those decisions stupid or not as I see fit.

TBH with you if you truly have the courage of your convictions then the opinion of myself or others shouldnt matter one whit to start with.

The fact that our opinions bug you,at least in regards to this particular subject, should tell you something.
You did not give me one reason why ingesting nicotine is comparable in any way to exterminating millions of people or using unmentionable drugs. Why did you evade my question?

And you seem more troubled by our exchange than me. I'm rather enjoying this. And while you may be comfortable with where you think your elevator goes, I can assure you that there are many people here questioning yours. I think it might have something to do with the comparing to Hitler part.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Possibly people frown on it because if someone who doesn't smoke goes into vaping then certain people could use that to say it may be a gateway to smoking.

True. By that same logic, in my case, breast milk was a gateway to bourbon. :D

Remember certain people don't rely on facts just their opinions.

The art of debate is dying a painful, tortuous death.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

Ridiculous right?

Would be ridiculous if you were talking on a forum with people who refuse to strike a match while pumping gas. Instead, it is (exactly) like talking to a forum of people who use blow torches while pumping gas, and asking if they have any issues with striking a match in the same situation.

Not so ridiculous.

It bugs me that fellow vapers are like this. I call it hypocrisy and the kind of rhetoric that ought to be ignored from the likes of the people stating it.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Never smokers starting to vape just gives more credence to the FDA claim that e cigs attract non / never smokers. Facts be damned, it is ammo used against vaping.
No one is going to change the way the FDA goes about things or change their mind unless you have a couple dozen billion to fund the missing tobacco MSA money.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I don't think it's frowned on by anywhere near the majority, but the vocal minority on any side of an issue can make a lot of noise ;)

Nicotine ≠ Tobacco

I agree. I also find vaping nicotine not addictive for me and I was very addicted to cigarettes.

ECF is a very well moderated and relaxed forum. Disagreements that happen in most other forums are frequently much more pronounced than what you'll find here. I certainly don't consider your issue here 'stigmatization'.

There is an 'Ignore' feature on most forums. On ECF you'll find it by clicking on the poster's name on the fifth line of text, second from the left. I don't use it often, but occasionally it comes in real handy
yes3.gif

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

I get it that some of you after having suffered for decades with tobacco addiction want to avoid having others go down the same road, but the two can't really be compared in terms of overall negative effects.

Nicotine ≠ Tobacco

Because so many people have swallowed, hook, line and sinker, all that garbage about nicotine being "the most addictive substance known to man!" For someone who's never smoked, it's not; as you say, it's very similar to caffeine -- there may be some slight dependance if one uses a lot of it for an extended period, just like caffeine, and perhaps some discomfort if that regimen is abruptly discontinued, just like caffeine, but you're right, the health effects are somewhere between negligible and actually positive for a great many physical and mental conditions.

Vape on, and try not to let the brainwashed bother you. :) :thumb:

Andria

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville

In an intelligent adult society, they shouldn't be, nor should consumers of any pleasurable chemical, like caffeine , alcohol, or even sugar. But we as a herd have been conditioned by propaganda and social conditioning to have prejudices about certain individual behaviors, like consumption of pleasurable molecules, whatever they may be. We really haven't progressed much since the time it was believed by the consensus that the earth was the center of the universe, and the surface of the earth was flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread