Vaping not for everyone especially me

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudyPete

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
earlier this year I decided to attempt once again to stop smoking and decided to try this vaping thing , and I can honestly say between the effects of stopping cigs cold turkey , combined with the various effects and reactions to vaping I have never visited the doc office this much in the past 6 years .then I have in the past 6 mo while vaping , I suffered from several symptoms such as nose bleeds , upset stomach everyday , shortness of breath , feeling heavy in the lungs all of it . even had to get meds from my ent to help me out getting over it . I decided a few weeks ago to try 1 last experiment because I was having so much trouble/ reactions with the juices etc , I tried several juices from different suppliers different levels different types etc and suffered
several different reaction , but then I also noticed , when I picked up a pack of cigs , suddenly all the symptoms would disappear . I have come to the conclusion that vaping is no different then anything else on the stop smoking market its not a cure all and it does come with its own set of associated risks . it may be fine for some people same as anything else but clearly its just not for me . sad though I really tried hard but my system just couldn't adjust to it .and with all the aggravation I went through over the last 6 mos. just wasn't worth it any longer , I have returned to smoking and threw all the vaping stuff I acquired over the past few months in the trash
I finally came to the conclusion that vaping is for others and not me , my system just couldn't adjust to it .
best of luck to everyone that vaping does work for , and thanks to everyone on the forum for their support .
I have tried several different stop smoking gimmicks over the years and vaping sadly gets added to the failure list .

It's really sad to hear this. I sure hope you will find a way to quit the analogs that won't make you endure all these side effects. My story is similar. I've noticed that I may have an allergy to the PG in juice. Well, this might just be an assumption, but I've noticed that when I vape 70/30 pg/vg. My face gets extremely oily and I start getting crazy acne. It bothers me so much that I decided to stop vaping for 4 days and suddenly everything starts to clear up, no new flare ups, which really has me stumped. What leads me to believe it is the eliquid is that I had previously stopped smoking analogs completely for 4 months about 1 year ago. During that time I had no acne. Once I started vaping it took about 2 months and bam, my first massive zit.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
It's really sad to hear this. I sure hope you will find a way to quit the analogs that won't make you endure all these side effects. My story is similar. I've noticed that I may have an allergy to the PG in juice. Well, this might just be an assumption, but I've noticed that when I vape 70/30 pg/vg. My face gets extremely oily and I start getting crazy acne. It bothers me so much that I decided to stop vaping for 4 days and suddenly everything starts to clear up, no new flare ups, which really has me stumped. What leads me to believe it is the eliquid is that I had previously stopped smoking analogs completely for 4 months about 1 year ago. During that time I had no acne. Once I started vaping it took about 2 months and bam, my first massive zit.

If I played a Vape Doctor on TV (I don't), I'd prescribe 1 month pure unflavored VG vaping then one month pure unflavored PG vaping. I'd have you call me in the morning if symptoms arise.

CloudyPete

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
If I played a Vape Doctor on TV (I don't), I'd prescribe 1 month pure unflavored VG vaping then one month pure unflavored PG vaping. I'd have you call me in the morning if symptoms arise.

I think I'll take that suggestion Doc. I guess by process of elimination I can find out whats really bothering me. Its been approximately 5 days since I've switched over to VG w/ DW and some strawberry flavor. Its been working so far. I wonder why it comes in the form of acne.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I think I'll take that suggestion Doc. I guess by process of elimination I can find out whats really bothering me. Its been approximately 5 days since I've switched over to VG w/ DW and some strawberry flavor. Its been working so far. I wonder why it comes in the form of acne.

Hmmm...good question. I give.
Maybe Road Runner knows.

milkman5306

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2013
Wow. I had no idea it was so difficult for some people.

I didn't either Boater! I guess I can count my blessings again. Stopped smoking the day I started vaping after 30 plus years of smoking. Never looked back....been at it for almost four yrs and have no plans to stop.

Same for me, I feel bad that it didn't go this smooth for the OP.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

10x sugar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
OC, NJ

I second this suggestion. That said, I wish you good health and good luck going forward, with whatever you choose.

rj134

Jan 6, 2014
Cologne
hey I can honestly say I was waiting for the symptoms to go away or at least ease up and I giave vaping a chance for months and the problems never went away until i obviously stopped vaping I just got tired of the side effects everyday . for me it just wasn't worth it
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to flame or anything... but I'm far from convinced that vaping is really the culprit here.

You said you repeatedly visited the doctor but you never actually told us what exactly he did, what his diagnosis was and, most importantly, whether he actually found any allergies or conditions with a clear causal relationship to vaping.
Furthermore you gave no details as to what exactly you vaped in which quantities, nicotine levels etc, which devices you used and what your daily liquid consumption was.
This is all just a huge cloud of question marks you throw only to then go and say "Well I guess I better go back to cancer sticks.".

Don't know man... I just have hard time buying that someone who apparently hasn't had any intolerance to the liquid ingredients diagnosed would show such severe symptoms as the ones described. I do know several people however, including myself, who know some or all of them quite well from cigarette withdrawal. And then again, some of them might not be related to smoking or vaping at all.

I guess basically what I'm saying is... this whole thread is really pretty useless unless you can give some actual data showing that what you experienced was in fact caused by vaping. And this is mostly because I have never seen anyone, ever, experience such symptoms unless they had a verified intolerance to liquid ingredients.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I smoked 2PAD for 30 years, and had about 1/2 a pack of cigarettes left when I started vaping. I have quit other things in the past, but smoking was easily the hardest one to quit.

Through a bunch of symptoms I had, I found that I was sensitive to VG (I can tolerate small amounts), and allergic to some flavoring. It took some effort, but I got the whole thing figured out through much trial and error. After that 1/2 pack of cigarettes was gone, that was it.

There were many times that I thought it would be much easier just to smoke than to continue vaping. But the one thing I learned from the many people here, is that this does work. Today, I have too much time into it to just turn back.

My doctor would prefer that I have no nicotine, but she supports my efforts and is happy I quit smoking. I am cutting the nic, and we will see what happens. No pressure, I am happy where I am at.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

A whole month? :blink: My entire career vaping 100 PG liquids lasted all of four days.

I started with a DK 100 PG liquid and started having allergic reaction to it on the first day. Really didn't now what was going on until I hit day four. No more than a dozen drags starting the day and WHAM! Headache, nausea - that led to vomiting, intense itching on my hands, wrists and forearms and a feeling like I was trying to breathe through wet cheesecloth. Twelve drags on day four - that's all it took.

The symptoms went away - slowly - over a two hour period but that was enough to scare the... vaping out of me for the next four days. Especially the breathing part. I got on ECF researched a ton about allergic reaction and figured it had to be the PG. I very timidly get back on vaping with a high VG liquid... no reactions at all. VAPE VAPE VAPE VAPE - nothing happened. Been vaping high VG liquids every since.

A consult with my Allergist confirmed, based on his experience, that yuppers - that was an allergic reaction to PG.

All I'm saying is some vaping problems are highly fixable. But I'm not about to blame vaping for my allergic reaction to PG - which is in more products than you may be aware of. Allergies happen. And if you have an allergy issue it probably won't take an entire month - for better or for worse - to figure that one out.
:2c:

Last edited:

Way2Gone

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Indiana, USA
I got depression, dry skin, a canker sore, headaches, a bit of nausea...but I knew most of that was quitting smoking. That turned out to be true and they all faded out. I now feel better than I ever did as a smoker.

There are some people who can't tolerate PG, though. Most can use VG, but VG has its own challenges.

If you don't mind me bumping in what kind of VG challenges can you have? I am currently trying to do only VG to see if this helps, but yes there does seem to be some challenges.

rj134

Jan 6, 2014
Cologne
A whole month? :blink: My entire career vaping 100 PG liquids lasted all of four days.

I started with a DK 100 PG liquid and started having allergic reaction to it on the first day. Really didn't now what was going on until I hit day four. No more than a dozen drags starting the day and WHAM! Headache, nausea - that led to vomiting, intense itching on my hands, wrists and forearms and a feeling like I was trying to breathe through wet cheesecloth. Twelve drags on day four - that's all it took.

The symptoms went away - slowly - over a two hour period but that was enough to scare the... vaping out of me for the next four days. Especially the breathing part. I got on ECF researched a ton about allergic reaction and figured it had to be the PG. I very timidly get back on vaping with a high VG liquid... no reactions at all. VAPE VAPE VAPE VAPE - nothing happened. Been vaping high VG liquids every since.

A consult with my Allergist confirmed, based on his experience, that yuppers - that was an allergic reaction to PG.

All I'm saying is some vaping problems are highly fixable. But I'm not about to blame vaping for my allergic reaction to PG - which is in more products than you may be aware of. Allergies happen. And if you have an allergy issue it probably won't take an entire month - for better or for worse - to figure that one out.
Wow that sounds like some scary experience o0

Do you also react this way to other stuff containing PG? Like toothpaste for example? Or does it only occur when inhaled?

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009

Guess you'd have to call me in the morning. Glad VG is doing the trick:)

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Sorry to hear you were having problems,but you made an interesting comment here: "but then I also noticed , when I picked up a pack of cigs , suddenly all the symptoms would disappear"

These are typical withdrawal symptoms from any drug,the fact all your symptoms disappeared once you had a cigarette says it is the cigarettes which are causing the problem.(i.e. your body got it's fix)
Side effects from tobacco withdrawal can last a long long time,it's not just the nicotine,it's the other 7000 or so chemicals you have to rid from your body,which obviously will take time.
I really am not trying to dissuade you from vaping just trying to put a little perspective on what & why you are experiencing these sort of symptoms.:2c:

Good luck in either case :)

I was going to say just about the same thing. While I can certainly believe that not every physiology will respond well to e-ciggs, if the symptoms disappear as soon as you light up, it points to withdrawal from something else in a cigarette, particularly since you don't have a PG or VG sensitivity.

E-cigarettes don't have to be an "all or nothing" deal. Did you try using an e-cig occasionally in place of a cigarette? Although many here say "Once I tried the e-cig I never smoked again" that is NOT true for a great many vapers (myself included).

I am sorry that vaping has been such a trial for you.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
way2gone, I'm sorry you had/are having so many difficulties with vaping versus smoking cigarettes. Contrary to popular opinion, switching over isn't totally without some problems here and there.

I won't write a lengthy thing here, but I want to toss out one issue that doesn't seem to be addressed much or at all (at least I haven't read it here). Among many other additives in tobacco cigarettes, one of them is bronchodilators. As the name suggests, they dilate the bronchial tubes so you can inhale easier. Think *asthma medication*. Asthma medication opens up the bronchial tubes so you can breathe. In commercial tobacco cigarettes, this is added to help you suck the smoke down easier and deeper to keep you addicted.

When you vape, there is no such ingredient involved. You may feel like you can't breathe. And I know from experience, when you can't breathe, you get anxious and maybe even panicky. I used to have bronchitis several times a year; one time I really thought I was going to die. I was fairly young then, maybe in my late 30s, early 40s. I did the emergency room thing, steroid shot, medication, got better, kept smoking, blah, blah, blah...

With vaping, I finally quit inhaling burning tobacco last year, 40+ years at almost 2 PAD. It wasn't a totally seamless transition, as some people claim to experience. A month or so into the journey, I got 4 zits on my face. All at once. Zits at 62, really...? Some stomach issues, a little weight gain, then four months in, I woke up with shingles on Thanksgiving Day. ER, medication, including steroids--more weight gain.

More details left out, but long story short, I don't ever want to go back to burning and inhaling tobacco smoke.

way2gone, I hope you find your way in the journey!

reptifarm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
Hamilton, Georgia
I had a 2 PAD habit for 40 years. I started vaping and quite analogs on Dec. 1st of 2013. I then came down with the worst flu that I have experienced in a very long time. The cough lasted a full month! Fever, chills, and the worst head ache!

Being in menopause, I can't really say if the sleeplessness is from that or with drawl from cigs. I have experienced some of the worst muscle cramps I have ever had. Leg cramps in the night, along with intercostal sp? cramping, (the muscles between the ribs) hands, and feet. And of course, I'm eating everything that doesn't eat me first!

It never occurred to me to try analogs again to see if that was the cause or not. Being clean and sober for 25 years, smoking an analog would seem like a slip or relapse and I'm not willing to go there. So I now pay attention to the "triggers" when I really want a cig. I acknowledge them as such and find something to take my mind off of it, like a big ol tank full of punkin tumble :D Or a snackypo or two.

So, I started treating the symptoms of what I was feeling. For the cramps and sleeplessness I take melatonin and valerian root, for cramps I take potassium, leg cramp, and at night I add a Tylenol pm. You see, for me, an anolg is not a quick fix. as they say in NA, one is too many and a thousand never enough.

I drink plenty of water, get 8 hours of sleep, and continue on with life as usual.

reptifarm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
Hamilton, Georgia
I had a 2 PAD habit for 40 years. I started vaping and quite analogs on Dec. 1st of 2013. I then came down with the worst flu that I have experienced in a very long time. The cough lasted a full month! Fever, chills, and the worst head ache!Being in menopause, I can't really say if the sleeplessness is from that or with drawl from cigs. I have experienced some of the worst muscle cramps I have ever had. Leg cramps in the night, along with intercostal sp? cramping, (the muscles between the ribs) hands, and feet. And of course, I'm eating everything that doesn't eat me first!It never occurred to me to try analogs again to see if that was the cause or not. Being clean and sober for 25 years, smoking an analog would seem like a slip or relapse and I'm not willing to go there. So I now pay attention to the "triggers" when I really want a cig. I acknowledge them as such and find something to take my mind off of it, like a big ol tank full of punkin tumble :D Or a snackypo or two.So, I started treating the symptoms of what I was feeling. For the cramps and sleeplessness I take melatonin and valerian root, for cramps I take potassium, leg cramp, and at night I add a Tylenol pm. You see, for me, an anolg is not a quick fix. as they say in NA, one is too many and a thousand never enough. I drink plenty of water, get 8 hours of sleep, and continue on with life as usual.

Last edited:

tresrottn

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2010
Bothell, WA
No one brought this up, but it sounds like the nicotine level in the juice was too high for you. Nosebleeds? That heavy feeling in your lungs? You weren't hydrating enough. The juices are desiccants and it's super, super vital to drink way more water than you did previously. Your lungs were getting rid of all that crap that was stored in your lungs and you didn't have enough fluids in your body to help it begin moving it out (usually via coughing and absorption).

Also, you do go through withdrawals when swapping over. All those toxins not getting their daily replenishment start leaving the body, and you detox! you feel like total crap, you may break out (I did!) as bodies detox in different ways, you have emotional highs and lows as the MAOI's and other brain altering chemicals start decreasing and leaving your body. You cough, you hack, just like you would if you stopped smoking cold turkey or used a nicotine alternative. The increased water also helps with this part as it gives your body what it needs to get that mess out.

This is not an overnight process, either. We are talking months. And yes, there was a 3-4 day crying jag about 6-8 weeks in. This forum kept me together (thank you, forum :) )

Yes, there are allergies, and one can usually figure out exactly what it is and remove that component. Allergic to flavors? What are the components used to make them? Different manufacturers make different flavors with different components. Allergic to pg? Remove it. Allergic to nicotine? Honestly you shouldn't be smoking in the first place, but at least with vaping, you could remove the nicotine and maintain the hand to mouth habit.

There are so many ways to alter the juice or even the way you consume it to fit your particular style. I mix my own, because I want to know exactly what I am putting into my body. I use tanks now because I don't want anything to do with fillers that could burn and they do burn, as I found out when I tore apart one of my cartridges one day to see the inner workings. I switched to a non filled cartridge (CE2) the next day.

The good thing is, you went to the doctor. Not involving your physician when making a huge change like this is kinda like pulling on your hiking boots for a long hike and not putting on socks, you know what I mean? It's just not a good idea. My doctor was thrilled when I told her I was making that change 3 years ago. She and I have watched the progress of my healthier body as the result of no longer smoking. She is my biggest supporter. So always involve your doctor. Educate together, and make an informed decision, and they can often help.

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
Hi Skinr1, this must be so disappointing for you. Of course you wanted it to work and I think it's easy for people to be defensive about vaping because of the current political climate that surrounds it.

Two things are true:

1. Quitting smoking is hell. We can say hell and people think they know what it means but you can't describe the hell until you are in the middle of it wondering how such hell could even exist. The hell of quitting can make you feel like the hell of cancer couldn't be as bad by comparison. And sometimes, depending on the quality of life you have when you quit, you might as well have cancer. My first quit literally cost me my job. It took me years to recover from the ordeal. People who are hateful or sanctimonious toward smokers need to be punched in the throat.

2. There isn't a panacea. We only have an arsenal of things to try. Each of my attempts has been different. I even had different experiences with the same medications because of learning and adjusting. Sometimes it takes a combination of things, and each time you try, you become more savvy. The trick is not to make yourself so traumatized by quitting that you are unwilling to keep trying. When something is making you miserable, stop doing it. Re-group and try again. You can even re-visit vaping at a later time, maybe in combination with something else. None of the doors are locked just because you walk away from it once.

And it is disappointing when you want something to work, all the worse when people come along and tell you "Oh well it sure did work for me and millions of others." No one has any business questioning your experience. I wish you the best in finding what works for you and encourage you to just learn from each attempt and move forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread