Vaping parents & second hand vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

vap0rb00bz

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Frederick, MD
I have a 5 month old and I still get a little paranoid when my bf vapes while holding him. I am constantly flailing my arms around like a crazy person to get it out of his face. Mind you, he's not blowing it AT him, just near.
I am not looking forward to the day he grabs ahold of his VAMO and sticks it in his mouth. -____-
Better then finding analogs though I suppose!

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Hokus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2011
Woodstock, GA
I would be paranoid about that too.. My wife and I are expecting in the next few weeks, and I'm not planning to vape around the baby. It might not be harmful or anything, but I don't want to take the chance.

I was raised in a house full of smokers and I turned out fine, as far as I'm aware of at lease ::twitch:: :p

LadyVaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2011
SWEET HOME ALABAMA
I am only adding my :2c: because baby's are Gods gift and should be cared for as such!
My hubby does not vape, he is still smoking. But when I vape around him, he does make comments about the vaper being much thicker and makes him feel like he is fighting for breath, (oxygen) I too have noticed since I stopped smoking cigs and started vaping, I have a much wetter cough. I do notice when I am sitting at my desk, in this small office, vaping. The air is much thicker. So my opinion on this is that if it was my baby (and I have 4) I would not vape around them. The next room is fine but anything within 2-3 feet I would leave the room. The vaper from ECigs is thicker and may make it harder for the baby to breath comfortably. BUT also, it is a heck of a lot healthier than analogs.

Thucydides

Force of Nature
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Washington, DC
As the average size of families have gotten smaller, the social cost of having children has remained constant even though families have fewer children. This means that the social cost per child has risen substantially. Nowadays, you have child seats and drop-off/pickup rules for kids at school. When I was a kid, we'd stuff our 5 kids + 2 parents into a Gremlin hatchback; nowadays, with child-seats, you couldn't legally fit more than 2 kids and 2 parents into a car that size. Also, I walked 3/4 of a mile home after morning kindergarten ended (I can prove it on Google maps). My kids went to an elementary school that was less than 2 blocks away, and until they were in the fifth grade they weren't allowed to walk to school alone.

None of this would be a big deal to me, except that I've got 5 kids. We drive large cars that can fit all of the child seats, resulting in substantially less mileage and higher maintenance costs. Having to coordinate drop-off and pickup at multiple schools for 5 kids is also a lot crazier than coordinating for 2 kids.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: Kids are a lot more durable than parents with only 1 or 2 kids give them credit for. They used to raise children in caves way back when, and if they'd had proper notions of sanitation they'd have had mortality rates comparable to ours. You don't have the treat you're kids like they're delicate, unique snowflakes. Because they aren't.

Animal dander can cause allergic reactions in kids, and if it does, you don't announce to all parents that they can't have pets around kids. If vaping irritates your kid, then don't vape around her.

Happy Meals are going to be a lot worse for your kids than anything they get from vaping. (Kids can have allergies to ingredients in Happy Meals, too.)

Last edited:

vap0rb00bz

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Frederick, MD
Also, there's the issue of when he's older seeing people smoke and relating it to seeing us blowing out vapor. I probably am thinking way too far ahead for my own good but I neeeevvveer want my baby to start smoking. Maybe by the time he's old enough the world will be full of vapers!

Idaholandho

Gone Fishin'
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked
Personally around children, I would not vape and treat it just like second hand smoke with them and anyone else who doesnt want me to, out of respect. First hand, much less second hand vapor has not been completely studied and the effects are still much unknown.
I wouldnt want my children(although grown now) to even pick up the physical habits. Children are incredibly smart and learn from our actions. Just because I vape doesnt mean it's ok and there isnt a health risk.
GL!

vap0rb00bz

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Frederick, MD
As the average size of families have gotten smaller, the social cost of having children has remained constant even though families have fewer children. This means that the social cost per child has risen substantially. Nowadays, you have child seats and drop-off/pickup rules for kids at school. When I was a kid, we'd stuff our 5 kids + 2 parents into a Gremlin hatchback; nowadays, with child-seats, you couldn't legally fit more than 2 kids and 2 parents into a car that size. Also, I walked 3/4 of a mile home after morning kindergarten ended (I can prove it on Google maps). My kids went to an elementary school that was less than 2 blocks away, and until they were in the fifth grade they weren't allowed to walk to school alone.

None of this would be a big deal to me, except that I've got 5 kids. We drive large cars that can fit all of the child seats, resulting in substantially less mileage and higher maintenance costs. Having to coordinate drop-off and pickup at multiple schools for 5 kids is also a lot crazier than coordinating for 2 kids.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: Kids are a lot more durable than parents with only 1 or 2 kids give them credit for. They used to raise children in caves way back when, and if they'd had proper notions of sanitation they'd have had mortality rates comparable to ours. You don't have the treat you're kids like they're delicate, unique snowflakes. Because they aren't.

Animal dander can cause allergic reactions in kids, and if it does, you don't announce to all parents that they can't have pets around kids. If vaping irritates your kid, then don't vape around her.

Happy Meals are going to be a lot worse for your kids than anything they get from vaping. (Kids can have allergies to ingredients in Happy Meals, too.)

Thank you for the well thought out response, and I do have to agree with you on happy meals and the unique snowflakes. Haha.
I suppose my real fear is the association between smoke and vapor. Thats where parenting comes in though and keeping him educated on both things.

Thank you everyone.
I am still extremely happy to find that this fourm is full of kind people who answer your questions without judgement like most others.

Last edited:

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
My only thought on this is that human lungs are not designed to have anything in them other than air... In my particular case, I was a young dumb kid that started smoking. Now 20-something years later I'm addicted to nicotine. I turned to vaping to reduce the damage done to my lungs. While vaping certainly appears less harmful than smoking in adult lungs, who knows what it could do to developing lungs... I'm not trying to say "only vape outside" or anything like that... Just that I would have the same concern you do if I had a kid... And I'm a dude, so there's nothing nurturing in my thought process here lol...

Last edited:

jeapa

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Delaware
I never smoked in front of my kids or my grandkids. I always went outside. I never wanted the smell of cig smoke in my house anyway. My dh is a never smoker also so I always felt guilty for smelling up the air around him too. I do not vape around my grandchildren, but I do vape in the house. I don't want my grandchildren (6 and 12) to associate vaping with smoking. I feel that they are a little young yet to understand exactly what the difference is and since they never knew I smoked I don't feel like it would benefit them to know that now.

I agree with you not wanting the second hand vape around your baby. Trust your instincts on this.

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
Also, there's the issue of when he's older seeing people smoke and relating it to seeing us blowing out vapor. I probably am thinking way too far ahead for my own good but I neeeevvveer want my baby to start smoking. Maybe by the time he's old enough the world will be full of vapers!

While I don't have any children myself, I don't vape around the younger members of my family because I don't want them to see it. Keeping it as something negative in the eyes of youngsters can only be beneficial. I watched a documentary earlier today- Documentary Topic ''Secrets of the tobacco industry'' - YouTube in which they talk about the marketing of analogues to children and it was very, very disturbing. Keeping it out of sight might help keep it out of mind.

The chemical side I don't think anyone knows enough about it to say for sure that it isn't harmful but I'd rather avoid vaping around minors until I know.

In the meantime, massive amounts of credit to you for even thinking about it!x

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
Thucydides:8458329 said:

This is legendary, I LOVE this post.

My wifes best friend is a nurse, a couple of years back she worked in an ER and she used to complain about all of the cases they would have when it came to a baby's soft spot, cases where people would way over react to a little bump on the head, or what have you, I think the most severe case she saw was when a 3 year old hit his little brother in the head with a hammer, not that this is advisable, or that this isn't a reason to take your baby to the hospital, but the baby was fine and had nothing more than a bump on the head.

Point being, children are much more resilient than we realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread