vaping/running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbeverley7

Apr 27, 2017
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a question. I've been dipping for 5 years. I want to stop dipping and start vaping. But I play football and I'm about to get a scholarship if this year goes well. I wanted to know if I start vaping. Will it be a lot harder to run and play football when I vape? I've tried to read forums but all of them say "it's easier to run when you vape than when you smoke" but I want to know how much of a difference it'll make from dipping and running, to vaping and running. Basically virgin lungs vs vaping lungs.. thanks!

Reactions: Alaria13

JoeMischief

Apr 21, 2017
Southsea
Shows what I know. I had to Google dipping. Combustion of tobacco is the main health risk to smokers which you don't experience currently. As you've read for health and fitness vaping is often the only credible choice if you're a smoker especially one trying to give up. Many smokers fail when giving up due not just to nicotine withdrawl etc but the whole habit of hand to mouth blowing smoke etc etc. You would need to investigate the health risks of dipping but it might be worth also informing us why you wish to give up dipping. Vaping is 95% safer than smoking but there is the 5% extra you're adding to your lungs that they've never had before especially as you wish to pursue sports. I personally think it might be irresponsible to recommend vaping to a non smoker. However it might be worth evaluating any health risks of dipping and vaping side by side and see what you feel. Also bear in mind that if you could just give up dipping that would be the best option. Straight and simple. However if you are determined to give up and you fall off the nicotine wagon and the straight choice was between smoking and vaping then of course there is no question which is healthiest. Vaping is only harm reduction (of a considerable amount for smokers of course) but not 100% harm removal. As much as I am not a fan of big pharma it might be worth considering something like nicotine gum as an alternative to or a transition away from dipping if dipping has specific health risks. Might be slightly more similar to the habit you have now but gets rid of the tobacco element specifically. I personally feel that although there are a lot of passionate vapers here in this forum we should give responsible balanced advice. These are MY opinions but maybe someone on here will be an ex dipper and can give you more first hand advice based on personal experience...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a question. I've been dipping for 5 years. I want to stop dipping and start vaping. But I play football and I'm about to get a scholarship if this year goes well. I wanted to know if I start vaping. Will it be a lot harder to run and play football when I vape? I've tried to read forums but all of them say "it's easier to run when you vape than when you smoke" but I want to know how much of a difference it'll make from dipping and running, to vaping and running. Basically virgin lungs vs vaping lungs.. thanks!

That's Kinda a Tough one.

If there was No Scholarship involved I would say No Problem. Vape until you have Stopped Dipping. No Problem.

But for someone playing ball on a Scholarship? Yikes. Not sure I would want someone to Start Vaping under that situation?

How Much do you Need to Vape to stay off Dip? Once and Awhile? As much as you Dipped? More?
How many ml's do you vape per day?

Reactions: David Wolf

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

Dipping is quite different from smoking... honestly, I'd say get gum if you have nicotine issues, get a spinner if it's about needing to keep your hands busy.

If you must insist and believe that vaping is the only way that you'd get over dipping, then just go with a small kit, do NOT go for cloud chasing.

Will it affect your lungs... well, it can, especially if you never smoked, you might get some reaction to it. Will it be harmful? Most probably not but it will still be a substance that your lungs need to absorb which could affect your "form".

Need encouragement? Go look at what extended dipping does to people and know that this can and probably will happen to you in time.

Vaping is 95% safer than smoking but there is the 5% extra you're adding to your lungs that they've never had before especially as you wish to pursue sports.......

Just need a small correction for that... vaping is NOT 95% safer... it is AT LEAST 95%... that 5% is "unknown possibilities". It could be 5% but it could be 0.0000001%, and the more science coming through and the more test done... the more that percentage shrinks... that 5% number it was only given as a margin.

That said... it could be 100% safe, but still have some effect in reduced oxygen absorption, etc. and for an athlete, ANYTHING can cause a reduction in capacity.

Reactions: JoeMischief

JoeMischief

Apr 21, 2017
Southsea
Dipping is quite different from smoking... honestly, I'd say get gum if you have nicotine issues, get a spinner if it's about needing to keep your hands busy.

If you must insist and believe that vaping is the only way that you'd get over dipping, then just go with a small kit, do NOT go for cloud chasing.

Will it affect your lungs... well, it can, especially if you never smoked, you might get some reaction to it. Will it be harmful? Most probably not but it will still be a substance that your lungs need to absorb which could affect your "form".

Need encouragement? Go look at what extended dipping does to people and know that this can and probably will happen to you in time.

Just need a small correction for that... vaping is NOT 95% safer... it is AT LEAST 95%... that 5% is "unknown possibilities". It could be 5% but it could be 0.0000001%, and the more science coming through and the more test done... the more that percentage shrinks... that 5% number it was only given as a margin.

That said... it could be 100% safe, but still have some effect in reduced oxygen absorption, etc. and for an athlete, ANYTHING can cause a reduction in capacity.
Thanks that is a really good point. I should have known better as it's our Royal College of Physicians here in the UK that produced the report and have read it. I wanted to err on the side of caution as this guy has a future as an athlete and would hate for any advice to affect his future. However you were bang on as the best way for a person to make an informed decision is with the correct facts. I really do appreciate you picking that up.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Thanks that is a really good point. I should have known better as it's our Royal College of Physicians here in the UK that produced the report and have read it. I wanted to err on the side of caution as this guy has a future as an athlete and would hate for any advice to affect his future. However you were bang on as the best way for a person to make an informed decision is with the correct facts. I really do appreciate you picking that up.

No problem, glad to assist.. the rest of your post was excellent :thumbs:

It's just something that I guess people go with too fast (that 95% figure) and it can leave people with a small misinterpretation about it, it was just a clarification.:thumb:

JoeMischief

Apr 21, 2017
Southsea
It would be fantastic to find out it was 100% safe. I reposted something on Twitter from the Royal College of Midwives advising pregnant women how safe ecigs are compared to smoking. Our free National Health Service recommends ecigs for cessation. Maybe they don't want to pay big pharma so much for cancer meds! The attitude over here including from the society of general practitioners (I think they are called) is very balanced and refreshing. When I see the rubbish coming out of the states and talk to friends in Australia where there is complete ban on vaping products I feel very lucky. Luckily due to the history, academic achievement and reputation of our little country people do listen which makes me proud.

JoeMischief

Apr 21, 2017
Southsea
@ zoiDman - I haven't memorised it - I got some of the quotes wrong after all. There was quite an in depth analysis of a bunch of studies. Obviously not a scientist here! If you Google it the summary of the report is available freely and you can download the full report I believe. You sound like someone who would be far better reading and analysing the full report rather than me garbling bits of what I remember to you...

Last edited:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I haven't memorised it - I got some of the quotes wrong after all. There was quite an in depth analysis of a bunch of studies. Obviously not a scientist here! If you Google it the summary of the report is available freely and you can download the full report I believe. You sound like someone who would be far better reading and analysing the full report rather than me garbling bits of what I remember to you...

Thanks.. and I've read most of it, and every scientific paper about vaping that I've been able to find/read...

My memory sucks at exact words, so I paraphrase a lot of it, but will combine segments, etc. and not even remember where I saw the specific info at some point, but will know that it's "actual fact" (at least until something comes to improve or correct it).

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Direct quote from Royal College of Physicians report summary...
  • However, the hazard to health arising from long-term vapour inhalation from the e-cigarettes available today is unlikely to exceed 5% of the harm from smoking tobacco.
Yeah, but there's been more research since the report now (has it been over a year now since the report?), including second hand vape effects, etc. and it's affected the report's rendition a fair bit...

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
There's been some reports and research about the potential that nicotine isn't as addictive as always believed as there's starting to find that it's a combination of the other chemicals in cigarettes that enhances this dependance..

And most long term smokers can tell you that even with nicotine to almost overdose levels, they still go through withdrawals, and then later on, they tend to lower the nicotine level more and more and ween themselves off it completely... something that if it was the nicotine only, no one would be able to manage it.

JoeMischief

Apr 21, 2017
Southsea
Let's be honest when you get to the stage when it's less harmful than alcohol, a McDonald's and about on a par with a cup of Joe. I'm good. I've also posited that it will help many ex smokers avoid obesity after giving up smoking. Also teens are likely to rebel whether you want them to or not. If you ask most parents if their child was to rebel and they had a choice of drugs, alcohol abuse, risky sexual encounters or zero nic cloud chasing I think most would pick the latter. Again just IMHO.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
and more research about potential that vaping is might actually "good" to fight off infection, as PG IS an actual anti-bacterial agent.

This jives with what I've seen... my wife would get pneumonia 2-3 times a year (she has MS, so prone to lung infections, plus the smoking didn't help) and since vaping, she's had 1 or 2 in nine years.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Direct quote from Royal College of Physicians report summary...
  • However, the hazard to health arising from long-term vapour inhalation from the e-cigarettes available today is unlikely to exceed 5% of the harm from smoking tobacco.

Just think that in this Particular Thread, it would be Well to keep in mind that References were compared to Smoking.

Also, if the OP said that they were Vaping Unflavored, it would Eliminate some of the other Potential Hazards associated with the Inhalation of Flavorings and or Artificial Sweeteners.

Whereas I applaud the RCP results as a guideline for those who are Current Smokers, I would be Cautious for those to Use these Unlikely to Exceed results for a Non-Smoker.

JoeMischief

Apr 21, 2017
Southsea
and more research about potential that vaping is might actually "good" to fight off infection, as PG IS an actual anti-bacterial agent.

This jives with what I've seen... my wife would get pneumonia 2-3 times a year (she has MS, so prone to lung infections, plus the smoking didn't help) and since vaping, she's had 1 or 2 in nine years.
Wow. There's only so long they can say all of these stories are anecdotal surely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread