Vaping to reduce cigar smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddy41

Aug 28, 2015
Richfield MN
I am just getting started in researching ecigs. I need as much help as possible to find something that will work for me. I did a search and all the info I found is over 2 years old. I assume things have changed since then..

I currently smoke premium cigars at a rate of 3 to 5 a day.. What I want to do is find something that can get me the volume of smoke that I am use to when smoking cigars..

Not wanting to totally quit smoking but need to make it a weekend enjoyment verses daily.. I have been smoking cigars for over 20 years.

I have talked to some of the b&m stores around but have not found anyone with cigar back ground that could really help me. I would like to keep my purchase to about $100. So I could use allot of help in getting me pointed in the right direction.

Oh by the way HELLO from MN..

Thanks for your help.
Mike

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Welcome.

Don't know much about cigars, but you are going to have no problem finding juices you like. Many tobacco ecig juices have more in common flavor-wise with cigar and pipe tobacco than they do with cigarettes.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point you in the direction you want to go.

Reactions: Racehorse

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
For your situation, I would go with an Arctic tank and 0.2 or 0.5 ohm coils, paired with a regulated mod. There are a lot to choose from. The Arctic tank can be had for under 20 bucks, which leaves you with a nice budget for a battery. I would look at the sigelei 75w tc, my friend got one for 50 bucks a few weeks ago, and then a 2 pack of samsung 25r batteries (10 bucks), and a nitecore d2 charger (15 bucks), and that leaves you with 5 bucks to spare if I did my math right.

Watch some youtube videos on subohm tank comparisons, and look up mods made by companies like ipv and sigelei, or even the cheaper istick, and they will walk you through the various features and pros and cons so you'll know what's going on with them.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
As for flavors, hit up a vape shop they usually have a plethora of trials to taste to see what flavors you might be into. There are tobacco flavors made from real tobacco, and there are synthetic flavors, or completely different flavors like skittles. You never know what you might like. For all we know you could be a pumpkin cheesecake flavor fan lol

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
howdy - i was up to an average of 3 premium stogies a day when I made the jump back in march... what I have found to work the best - for me - was a sub ohm setup... good flavor, great vapor production... may want to check out something like the kanger subox mini kit, using the .5 ohm coils... now, I will likely get some flak from folks about recommending a sub ohm set up for a new vaper, but what I can tell you is that is what worked for me - started with an ego twist (pen) and nautilus mini tank - was okay, but was still smoking cigars... within 5 days or so of starting, I jumped to the aspire platinum kit (aspire cf battery and atlantis tank with .5 ohm coils... had to drop my nic level from 12mg to 6mg to keep the top of my head from poppin' off...) but that is where I turned the corner... currently have a variety of mods/ tanks - would recommend either the kanger subox mini kit or an innokin disrupter with a kanger subtank mini (and make sure it is one of the v2's with the vertical coils and improved airflow)... feel free to message me if you have any questions, and welcome to ecf

Muddy41

Aug 28, 2015
Richfield MN
Thanks for the information.. Nice to see some fellow MN people on here...

For those that are from my state is there any particular store that is more reliable about information in regards to guide information..

I went to a couple different sites in my area and basically new more than the people selling the equipment which means they new nothing.. So I am looking for a good reliable store hopefully within my Richfield area that I can go to...

Muddy41

Aug 28, 2015
Richfield MN
You want the long, slow, deliberate draw of a cigar? I'd recommend a Zen Atty. Tons of flavor and too much vapor, though...
P. busardo said,'It's my cigar...'
The Zen atty is $50 from House of Hybrids; don't know of a good $50 mod, though...

I would like the draw to be similar but not must have. I would like to have a good amount of smoke that a cigar does give off when drawing.. I will check out the Zen. I don't think I have seen one in any stores that I have between to.. But will look into it.. Thanks

Reactions: stevegmu

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
For those that are from my state is there any particular store that is more reliable about information in regards to guide information..
Here some basic info for you to read through.

What an e-cigarette consists of:

1. Power Source -- Battery or Mod/APV. APV = Advanced Personal Vaporizer
2. Juice Delivery Devise -- often a clearomizer (a tank that uses "stock/factory" coils).
3. Heating element. Often called a coil.
4. Eliquid. Often called Juice.

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.

1. A Good Starter's Setup for a Beginning Vapor
2. Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods
3. Proper terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments
4. Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

Here are a few more links from New Members Information <= Link covers many topics. Here are two of them:
1. The Three Main Types of Ecig
2. Vaping Slang and Acronyms

Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Some juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

I went to a couple different sites in my area and basically new more than the people selling the equipment which means they new nothing.. So I am looking for a good reliable store hopefully within my Richfield area that I can go to...
I don't get out a lot due to mobility issues, but I've been vaping a long time (almost 9 years). When I do go out I visit Smokeless Smoking

Their main store is in Bloomington. I have not been there in a couple of years, no vaping allow due to Bloomington laws. This store would have the most equipment.

I normally visit the store in Burnsville. Much smaller, not as much equipment, not as busy, and I can vape, which for me works great. The guys rebuild all my RDA's/RDA's for free! I'm a one-handed vaper. I can rebuild some of my atty's, but some are more difficult than others.

Usually go in the morning, may spend a couple of hours there, taste test new flavors and talk to the guys. They set my stuff aside when customers come in needing help. Win/win for everyone.:)

Muddy41

Aug 28, 2015
Richfield MN
Susan thank you so much for all the links and the store information. I will pay them a visit on Saturday...

I am going to start with the links you have provided and get some more info lodged into my brain...

My wife is nagging me to decide what I want sooner or later especially after she seen what I brought back from lowa yesterday. Tobacco taxes in Iowa much cheaper than MN so I stocked up on a few stogies..

Thanks everyone

Reactions: Susan~S

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I am going to start with the links you have provided and get some more info lodged into my brain...
I often recommend an iStick 30 watt (or Coolfire 4) with an Aspire Mini Nautillus for M2L inhailing. You can lung hit with this tank but it is rather restrictive (compared to a tank that was designed for sub-ohming with LOTS of airflow).

A good setup that allow you to do both is the Kanger Subox Mini Kit. Videos below.

eLeaf iStick 30 Watt
Innokin Coolfire 4
Aspire Nautilus Mini
Kanger Subox Mini Kit - Tank & Battery

Picture of the Mini Nautilus on the iStick 30 watt

4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

Muddy41

Aug 28, 2015
Richfield MN
I do like the Kanger box.. Watched the review and went and talked to a sales guy at a store in Bloomington down around 84th and Lyndale.. This guy was very knowledgeable and showed me all the ones that Susan recommended in her above post..

Amazing the technology that had gone into vaping.... Then I looked at the VTEC VT.. What an amazing package.. But might be a little too much for a newbie.. But yet at the same time it might be good for a newbie as well especially if you know someone that would be willing to help you fully understand what the VT is skill about and how to use its capabilities... The sales guy said that if I was to buy the VT he would make sure I fully understood how to set it up and also how to adjust all the settings to get the best vap.. Plus he works at the store alot so talking to him if I have question really is not a issue. Plus the store is only a couple miles from my home. Just wished Bloomington allowed vaping indoors..

So I am going to spend some more time looking at reviews and videos on all the ones Susan recommended and try to figure out what to do..

Before starting my research I never really new that vaping had so much going on as far as advanced technology goes.. Very fun researching and at times a little overwhekm

Thanks...

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
For your situation, I would go with an Arctic tank and 0.2 or 0.5 ohm coils, paired with a regulated mod. There are a lot to choose from. The Arctic tank can be had for under 20 bucks, which leaves you with a nice budget for a battery. I would look at the sigelei 75w tc, my friend got one for 50 bucks a few weeks ago, and then a 2 pack of samsung 25r batteries (10 bucks), and a nitecore d2 charger (15 bucks), and that leaves you with 5 bucks to spare if I did my math right.

Watch some youtube videos on subohm tank comparisons, and look up mods made by companies like ipv and sigelei, or even the cheaper istick, and they will walk you through the various features and pros and cons so you'll know what's going on with them.
+1
Edit: 0.5 ohm, yes Samsung 25r -- 0.2 ohm, Sony vtc4 or vtc3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread