• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Vaping while pregnant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
I'm not 100% Sure, and I too smoked through all 3 pregnancies, because I just could never ever quit no matter what!
Smoking has a HUGE hold on me, I still puff an analog a few times a day.

Thankfully my kids are all healthy ANYWAY, no allergies or anything for any of them! All were good birth weights, 7.6 pounds was my 20 year old. The other two were both 8.7 pounds! (my son was a c-section, he is 9 and my daughter was born at home 5 years ago)

dijohn76

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Cascade,MT
I'm not sure what I would say either. I smoked with both of my pregnancies, had two healthy normal weight girls with no problems. Of my two girls, one smokes (analogs) the other doesn't, both have had children and neither had any problems.
Common sense in looking at the ingredients, tells me that vaping has to be a whole lot safer, but again, no way to know for sure.
I guess in the end, it would have to be a personal decision for each woman and how safe she feels about it.

DMacRae

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
Central NY (Fingerlakes)
I quit smoking during my first two pregnancies and smoked intermittently during my third. Looking back, can't tell that it made any difference for either my kids or me.

I think if someone was asking for advice, I'd say don't do it. Don't do anything you aren't sure about. If I try to imagine myself pregnant and hearing that advice, though, I'm not at all sure I would have listened.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
It certainly is a very tricky situation.

If it's a choice between smoking and vaping I personally would choose vaping and try to not use nicotine which is a known hazard for babies. Maybe that's not a good call, I don't know, some people think that it's better the devil you know.

That's if there are only those two choices. The best case would be being able to beat the addiction and not use anything I think.

Sexi

ECF Veteran
If it were me, I think I would chose vaping over analogs, just due to the other chemicals we know are in ciggy's, not to many other things could be as bad as ciggy's.

I was not supposed to be able to ever have children, then at 29 years old, I got a surprise! I was by then a heavy smoker upwards of 2 packs a day, I tried everything, nothing worked. I don't think their were even patches back then, I had never heard of them or gum at that time.

Long story short, I did have major trouble, had emergency C-section at 27 1/2 weeks due to eclampsia. I had previous high blood pressure pre-pregnancy. Smoking & blood pressure were the only 2 pre-disposing factors for eclampsia I had, although it can occur for no reason what so ever.

Even with the chemicals in e-liquid being unknown & a woman is just unable to quit smoking, as hard as it is. If I had to make that choice today, I would chose vaping myself over analogs.

Avid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If someone were asking me, I'd probably say they should just quit or the standard, "consult your doctor" (who would advise some 'proven' smoking cessation method that probably won't work). Pregnant women - especially first time pregnant women - are generally nervous. It's the best time to quit (health-of-baby-wise) and the worst time to quit (OMG I'm having a baby! nerves!).

If it were me, I'd vape because I can't seem to quit. I smoked through 2 pregnancies and didn't have a problem with either one, had healthy daughters with 7 lb.+ birthweights. I don't think the medical community knew back then what they know now (I had births in '82 and '85), though they still advised me to stop. But although everything turned out fine for me while smoking analogs during pregnancy, I still believe vaping would be a better option because smoking is just a bad idea whether you're pregnant or not.

...and neither of my daughters smoke. :)

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
Oh gosh, I closet-smoked through my pregnancies, too. I really tried to quit, but gave that up. I figured my mom smoked with me and my sister, and so many of my peers' moms smoked, well, you know how you can justify it when you need to!
:O

esmoking changes your life. Sat night we went out to dinner with A FAMOUS GUY (lol) and we picked him up in his hotel and he said he was dying for a smoke outside. So, while he was waiting for hotel stuff, I showed him my e-cig. He was so impressed, too. He said "so, this will help you quit? You can quit with these?" And, I said, "Uh, not really-- but it let me give up the idea of quitting".

So, he's another convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread