Vaping while pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
you did ask about 0 nic...so ill go against the grain here and say "yes vaping 0 nic is probably safe"

the thing is....no one thinks twice about perfumes and hair spray or even room deodorants. pregnant women use these things all the time. the chemicals in 0 nic vape are genrally recognized as safe by the fda and probably much less harmful than all of those other chemicals that are not meant to be ingested...but that get ingested anyway.

still...im not saying its perfectly ok. im just saying that one needs to use some common sense. if one is dead set against artificial flavors etc...vaping 0 nic might not be right for you. but there is no sense in being "against" something if one is going to expose them selves to the same dangers from another source.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
This article has some findings on the effects of nicotine on the unborn. Apparently pregnant women metabolise nicotine faster:
These findings may be attributed to the increased rate of nicotine metabolism in pregnant versus non–pregnant smokers (60% higher nicotine clearance and 140% higher cotinine clearance during pregnancy; Dempsey et al., 2002)

And nicotine affects developing brain cells:

Briefly, nicotine has been clearly established as a neuroteratogen that compromises the development of critical neural pathways in the developing brain.

Last edited:

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Nicotine will cross into the unborn baby and affect their brain. Apart from those developmental issues, the chances of an overdose are significantly higher for something that weighs a few ounces than something that ways >100 pounds.

Don't take any drugs while pregnant unless specifically instructed to do so by a doctor; if they can cross the blood-brain barrier (all psychoactive drugs do, which includes things like caffeine and pain killers) then they can cross the blood barrier that isolates the baby from the mother. Period.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
I believe the children are our future...

I say pregos should stay away from the vape. I still can't believe when I see pregnant women smoking, they shouldn't be allowed to have kids period.

You should have put the soundtrack with that, I started singing straight away :lol:
I agree with everyone here, if anything is questionable, why take the risk? Keep the Bump Safe!

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I say pregos should stay away from the vape. I still can't believe when I see pregnant women smoking, they shouldn't be allowed to have kids period.

My mom used to date an ob/gyn who took it upon himself to yell at every pregnant woman he saw smoking to try and scare her into saving her baby.

On the other side, I know a really redneck family filled with women who smoked only when pregnant specifically trying to get low birth weights so labor would be easier. People like that really shouldn't be able to breed.

Also, to the OP, I forgot…congrats on your baby. And good luck.

My mom used to date an ob/gyn who took it upon himself to yell at every pregnant woman he saw smoking to try and scare her into saving her baby.

On the other side, I know a really redneck family filled with women who smoked only when pregnant specifically trying to get low birth weights so labor would be easier. People like that really shouldn't be able to breed.

Also, to the OP, I forgot…congrats on your baby. And good luck.

are you serious?! they smoked ONLY when pregnant?! that makes me mad. can't believe people like that exists! they definitely shouldn't "breed" lol. oh and thanks for the congratulations :)

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
When I was pregnant was the only time I was able to quit smoking. It wasn't even difficult, because I was cognizant that I wasn't only harming myself, I was harming my future child. I am considering having another in the next year or so, and quitting vaping for me (nicotine or not) is a no brainer. While pregnant, I'd agonize over taking a tylenol with the worst headache ever. I wouldn't eat soft serve ice cream or deli meat because of the chance of listeria. No way I would inhale unknown chemicals for my own pleasure.

For someone else, if it were smoking vs. vaping, of course I would recommend vaping, but you should seriously consider your choice to be a parent if you can't sacrifice some discomfort of quitting for your child.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
When I was pregnant was the only time I was able to quit smoking. It wasn't even difficult, because I was cognizant that I wasn't only harming myself, I was harming my future child. I am considering having another in the next year or so, and quitting vaping for me (nicotine or not) is a no brainer. While pregnant, I'd agonize over taking a tylenol with the worst headache ever. I wouldn't eat soft serve ice cream or deli meat because of the chance of listeria. No way I would inhale unknown chemicals for my own pleasure.

For someone else, if it were smoking vs. vaping, of course I would recommend vaping, but you should seriously consider your choice to be a parent if you can't sacrifice some discomfort of quitting for your child.

It can't be easy for any Responsible expectant mother, you worry about everything, smoking or vaping is a guilt ridden minefield, and for some mothers even giving up smoking could raise their stress levels and cause even further issues with their pregnancy. I think it's highly personal, and women should decide what's best with their partners and doctors. Sometimes it's all too easy for us to say you shouldn't do this or that, my sister in law was a nightmare with just about everything during her 1st pregnancy, seriously she thought standing next to a glass of wine would somehow transmit across and affect the baby, thankfully things changed with the second. :)
But vaping just 'cause you can, with or without nic doesn't make any sense.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA

Let alone the rest of what comes with pregnancy, birth, and having a child. I (obviously) get that quitting smoking is hard. I can't imagine how much harder being a parent is.

-mo "please please please let my girlfriend keep taking birth control forever" stapha.

(note: if there was male birth control that was actually effective and cheaper than getting snipped and reversible, I'd do it)

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
I know this won't be popular and I am by no means suggesting doing it. This is only my experience. I'm one of those bad mothers who couldn't kick the habbit while I was pregnant...In fact, when I did quit for a few weeks, I ended up in the hospital and my obgyn swore up and down that he would go to his grave denying ever saying it,..."don't quit, just cut down...you're stressing the baby." In my case, the damage had already been done. *sigh*

That realization is really a mind bender for someone who was about to have her first (and only) child. I felt awful...what a failure I was, I didn't deserve to have a baby. Honestly, if I could have had the choice at the time, you bet your bottom I would have tried vaping. I wasn't allowed to use anything else, strict orders from my doctor...no patch, no gum, no drugs...just tough it out with the cigs. *shakes head*

No, I just hope that most women can be stronger than I was and quit...or better yet, never start smoking in the first place. It's an ugly mess being pregnant & still smoking. :(

By the way, my 13yr old daughter is healthy, beautiful and brilliant. :wub: It seems I lucked out, but I wish I could have been a better mom and not smoked while being pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread