Status
Not open for further replies.

stashbldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
Florida
Based on everything I read here, I've placed an order for 10 of VZ's super concentrates and I really hope they are going to be my answer. I've tried four or five brands of well-known concentrates that I would have to pretty much vape pure if I wanted to taste them. I'm so far extremely disappointed in TFA, Capella, something that starts with H and my most recent mistake (apparently) which is the concentrates from FC. None of this stuff tastes like anything at all when mixed at 20%; mixed TFA's Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble at 30% and there is not the slightest hint of blueberry or cinnamon in the taste; pretty much tastes like air with a slight honeydew taste on the back. Thought it was just me, so had a couple friends try it and I asked them what they thought it was, without telling them anything about it beforehand. Not one of them had any idea what it was and couldn't identify any sort of taste at all, much less identify one of the tastes that this concentrate was supposed to create.
I don't use any of the tobacco tastes; I lost my taste for anything tobacco about two weeks into vaping. My interest lies in the fruity stuff for my clearomizers and in the creamier sweets for my drippers. I've managed to alter some liquids I bought from various locations by combining pre-made liquids, but want to make my own liquids now and am finding it extremely frustrating. I bought pharmaceutical grade PG and VG (both Kosher, too) and some 100/100 nicotine liquid and then hit a wall when I started trying to flavor my mix with concentrates.
Was also told that using a sonic jewelry cleaner would speed the steeping process exponentially; claims are made that 15 minutes in a heated sonic cleaner (juice in the bottle, of course) would equal two weeks of steeping. Tried that yesterday; two hours in the device returned no appreciable change in the taste of any of the eight bottles I put in there. Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

Don't know if you've tried using less flavoring .. it may sound strange however "less is more" when it comes to DIY. With many flavorings, if you use "more" it actually reverses the taste and mutes it, instead of increasing it. I am not saying this will be true in your case, but you might want to try using "less". I've used VZ's SC's for many years, I mix those all at 2.5-3%. As for TFA, I mix those at 8-10%. The "H" you refer to is probably Hangsen .. I mix those at 8%. And if you got any of VZ's Gourmet flavorings, well with those the standard is 1 drop flavoring per 2ml of base.

Don't know if you've tried using less flavoring .. it may sound strange however "less is more" when it comes to DIY. With many flavorings, if you use "more" it actually reverses the taste and mutes it, instead of increasing it. I am not saying this will be true in your case, but you might want to try using "less". I've used VZ's SC's for many years, I mix those all at 2.5-3%. As for TFA, I mix those at 8-10%. The "H" you refer to is probably Hangsen .. I mix those at 8%. And if you got any of VZ's Gourmet flavorings, well with those the standard is 1 drop flavoring per 2ml of base.

Okay; I'll try anything at this point! Starting with a 10ml bottle of 50/50 PG/VG at 6mg with the TFA Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble at 8%. It's in the ultrasonic now for a couple hours to get it well shaken before I drop it in a tank and see what I have.

I'm also considering trying some heat activated extracts used in candy-making. I already had them to use for flavoring tea, so not throwing good money after bad or anything. I've read that essential oils are not a great choice for ejuice, but before I drive myself batty researching the yea and nay of these extracts, what does everyone here think about them? Anyone tried this and either succeeded or failed with it??

A couple hours later now and I've put the 8% result in a glassomizer for testing. It's better than it was at 30% (or maybe it's wishful thinking) but still unidentifiable as either Blueberry or Cinnamon. I'm thinking that I will try a couple of the less complicated concentrates like Cola or Watermelon or whatever and see what I can get at low percentages; so far none of them have any taste at all at the 20% mix, so I'll try 10% or less and see if they taste like anything. Makes me wonder how my juice guys managed to send me 'extra flavor' mixes in the various ratios of PG/VG I requested from them. That's how I know it must be possible; they can do it, so it stands to reason that it can be done. Maybe just not with the concentrates I am using. SO hoping those concentrates from VZ get here in the next day or two and that they will allow me to mix up something that tastes like something. Right now I would be thrilled to be able to mix something that tasted BAD! At least it would taste like something, lol!

MotherNatural

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It took me several months to figure out that everything I ever vaped was over flavored. I never really cared for most vendor juices which led me to DIY. Not happy with any of my mixes I kept mixing my recipes stronger. Quite by accident I finally discovered that just a tiny bit of flavoring was all I needed. Everything suddenly tasted so much better. I now mix at two drops per 30ml. No kidding!

I'm not suggesting that your in the same boat but don't be afraid to experiment at even lower percentages.

Reactions: Debadoo

csardaz

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Interested in this 'heat activated' flavorings - I know a few chems that reqiure heat before they activate but they aren't flavors. I put my juices in the microwave - very brief like 1 second per 3 ML - it heats them to maybe 120F and then the VG mixes with the PG and Flavors better. I shake the very vigorously with a sander - about 500Strokes per minute makes a real storm inside the bottle. 90% of them are ready to go at that point. 10% change flavor significantly after that - one flavor fading while another becomes dominant. I mixed up a lot of flavors in tiny bottles then re-tasted them at 5 and 10 days later and there was little change. But mixing flavors I do often find one strengthening over 2-3 days and a juice that starts out very banana and a bit of mocha may become very mocha with a bit of banana 3 days later. The Tobacco flavor connoisseurs say it can take weeks but I have a pretty plain mouth and to me, fruits, chocolates, cremes are pretty stable after 3 days,

Updating my experience with DIY here; those flavors I made about three weeks ago; just now trying them all again and some of them finally taste like something! Still on the fence about the VZ supers but those haven't steeped nearly so long yet. The Whisky one is pretty awful...but after three weeks the Capella Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble finally has some taste but not enough to go nuts over. The TFA Cola is very good, Flavor Apprentice Peanut Butter is excellent, VZ Banana Cream Pie tastes like sweetened metal, FA Whipped Cream is good, Hangsen Italian Cream is very nice.

I've found that Faerie's Finest flavors are the ones that are most likely to be ready to vape right after mixing. Haven't tried all of them yet and the exception to that so far is the Eggnog flavor; can't taste anything from that one yet but will give it some time. Overall I am much encouraged that I will eventually be able to dispense with flavors that I didn't mix for myself. I guess I am very fortunate in that I have zero desire for any tobacco flavors, lol.

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
I thought this was a Vaping Zone flavoring thread - am I wrong??:unsure:

No you are not wrong you can talk about anything related to VZ flavors here. There is another thread for Bakers's flavors I started if you need some help with those. Just remember to go really light on those as they are really concentrated.

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
Yeah I tried the Chocolate Truffle at 0.5% and had to go down to 0.25%, after sitting a week it is finally ok to me but I was hoping for a more milky flavor. I am a milk chocolate lover. To me it tastes like a chocolate flavoring mixed with some Cream Charlotte - anyone else get that?
I tried the Caramel Mocha at 2%, to me it needs some chocolate lol. I always call my chocolate coffee mocha so I was expecting a caramel and chocolate coffee. I will be adding some in the future.
I tried the Cream Charlotte at 1.5% - this is a very strong creamy buttery flavoring and I will use it sparingly in mixes.
Real Cig I tried at 2% um er to me this tasted like unripe hay and since I still occasionally smoke - this does not taste like any cigarette I have ever had. I am letting it steep for a good long while before trying it again.
The best flavor I have tried so far and I was pleasantly surprised is the Gourmet Strawberry! I tried it at 1.5% and I could have bumped it up to 2% but it is tasty as is. I think it tastes like sweet ripe strawberries and is worth the cost to try it.
Please remember that these are just my opinions and I am not a food aficionado LOL:laugh::vapor:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Well after all the rave reviews how could I resist. I've been a faithful TFA customer but find the PG bases tend to irritate me. I have tried their PG-free flavors but have mixed feelings. What I like about about the VZ super-concentrates is the fact they are alcohol based. Anyway here's hoping my luck is as good as others here.

Cola-Flavor SC-Cola Super Concentrated Flavor
Raspberry-Flavor SC-Raspberry Super Concentrated Flavor
Pear-Flavor SC-Pear Super Concentrated Flavor (thought this might be nice with my TFA Cranberry)
Kiwi-Flavor SC-Kiwi Super Concentrated Flavor
Dragon Fruit-Flavor SC-Dragon Fruit Super Concentrated Flavor
Banana Cream Pie-Flavor SC-Banana Cream Pie Super Concentrated Flavor
Apple Pie-Flavor SC-Apple Pie Super Concentrated Flavor
Pina Colada-Flavor SC-Pina Colada Super Concentrated Flavor

They had them ready for shipment within 20 minutes and was notified of shipment. Pretty fast!

Are there any recipes for VZ super concentrates around? I'm hoping I can mix some of my less desirable TFA flavors

Edit: I'm trying to vape PG-free so obviously my liquids will be mostly VG based. Do you still need to add a little vodka or is there enough alcohol in the flavor to just add VG and keep it from being too viscous? e.g., 2% Flavor / 3% Nic/ 95% VG

Last edited:

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Well after all the rave reviews how could I resist. I've been a faithful TFA customer but find the PG bases tend to irritate me. I have tried their PG-free flavors but have mixed feelings. What I like about about the VZ super-concentrates is the fact they are alcohol based. Anyway here's hoping my luck is as good as others here.

Cola-Flavor SC-Cola Super Concentrated Flavor
Raspberry-Flavor SC-Raspberry Super Concentrated Flavor
Pear-Flavor SC-Pear Super Concentrated Flavor (thought this might be nice with my TFA Cranberry)
Kiwi-Flavor SC-Kiwi Super Concentrated Flavor
Dragon Fruit-Flavor SC-Dragon Fruit Super Concentrated Flavor
Banana Cream Pie-Flavor SC-Banana Cream Pie Super Concentrated Flavor
Apple Pie-Flavor SC-Apple Pie Super Concentrated Flavor
Pina Colada-Flavor SC-Pina Colada Super Concentrated Flavor

They had them ready for shipment within 20 minutes and was notified of shipment. Pretty fast!

Are there any recipes for VZ super concentrates around? I'm hoping I can mix some of my less desirable TFA flavors

Edit: I'm trying to vape PG-free so obviously my liquids will be mostly VG based. Do you still need to add a little vodka or is there enough alcohol in the flavor to just add VG and keep it from being too viscous? e.g., 2% Flavor / 3% Nic/ 95% VG

You will probably still need to dilute a little because you don't need much of the VZ SC flavoring so it wouldn't dilute thick VG juice much at all.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Can anyone tell me how they label the outer (shipping) packaging? Does the packaging indicate "Vaping Zone"? Is the declaration listed as "Flavors"? I worry if customs sees the word "Vape" on the package they may assume it's eliquid and subsequently I will have to pay import tax.

Edit: Just heard back from VZ and they ship discretely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debadoo

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Not to bring up a sore subject, but does anyone know what the status is on VZ SC and diketones. I''m not too worried about their fruit flavors, but more so with the bakery/custard flavors?

EDIT:

Diacetyl and Acetyl Propionyl – The SC Flavoring Line does not contain either of these ingredients.

Acetoin – Very few of SC Flavoring Line flavors contain a small part per million ratios. It is within the standard range.

Butyric Acid and Triglycerides – These two ingredients are used in flavors, so they are also present in SC Flavoring Line in a small part per million ratio. They are within the standard range.

Sulfites – The SC Flavoring Line does not include this ingredient at all.

FD&C Food Coloring – There are no additional additives in the SC Flavoring Line. They do have natural pigment that can add color to the flavor; ie: Coffee is brown therefore the flavoring being super concentrated would be a very dark brown in color. Only when required, an extract from red jujube, which is natural and food grade, is added and will produce a different color.

Last edited:

Serenity

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Land of Entrapment (NM, USA)
Just wanted to drop by and say that I placed my first order with VZ on Sunday. My flavors arrived right on schedule today - very fast! They get major points for being fast and accurate :) I really appreciate that there are still businesses out there getting it right. I got 5 flavors for my test run; Honey Flu Cured, Peach, Cream, Cream Charlotte, and Creme Brulee. I haven't had time to test them all out, clearly. I did mix up a small 10 ml batch of the Honey Flu Cured. It's hard for me to review a tobacco because there is really nothing to compare it to. This is a very earthy sort of tobacco. It kind of reminds me of the first tobacco liquid that I got almost 4 years ago from another vendor. It's reminiscent of that with a bit of sweetness on the exhale. I can pick out that it's sweet, but I would not pick it out as honey flavoring. It's not bad, but I was hoping for a flavor closer to the HFC by BWB. This is more along the lines of Casablanca from BWB. Keep in mind that I just mixed it, shook it up real good, let it sit for about 10 minutes and shook it up again. That's next to no steep time...no hot water...so it's likely going to change over the next few days or so. Really not bad for no steep time. I am not disappointed so far :)

scrubzz

Verified Member
Jan 17, 2015
Arkansas
In looking over all the VZ offerings I note that while there are a number of flavors that are different in the Gourmet line many are the same in both the SC and the SC Gourmet lines - Banana, Caramel, etc - what is the difference in these? The suggested percentage for the SC is 2.5% and for the SC Gourmet it's 1-3% - is the only difference in these the SC Gourmet is more concentrated?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread