Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
This is what people say. It's true, but may not be the answer to your problem.

Personally, I just needed to get used to vaping. Chasing special liquids was not the answer for me. NOW I can vape 100% PG, no trouble. THEN, I couldn't vape a disposable e-cig from the gas station.

Be careful....

Also, knowing the "tank" you have, it's impossible to say whether this is playing a part in your trouble.

RogerK

Aug 20, 2015
You would be correct, as PG also is a factor in throat hit. Lowering nicotine is another way to lower the throat hit.
OK, I have been smoking regular cigarettes for years and lower nicotine levels in e-cigarettes doesn't give me the same satisfaction. I went to a higher nicotine level and the harshness in the vapor is still the same unless I take light drags. then it's fine! I must have to stick with the lighter drags.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @RogerK. Glad to have you here!:)

You are correct. Here is some more info regarding nicotine & PG/VG

Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Some juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.
_________

What an e-cigarette consists of:

1. Power Source -- Battery or Mod/APV. APV = Advanced Personal Vaporizer
2. Juice Delivery Devise -- often a clearomizer (a tank that uses "stock/factory" coils).
3. Heating element. Often called a coil.
4. Eliquid. Often called Juice.

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.

1. A Good Starter's Setup for a Beginning Vapor
2. Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods
3. Proper terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments
4. Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

Here are a few more links from New Members Information <= Link covers many topics. Here are two of them:
1. The Three Main Types of Ecig
2. Vaping Slang and Acronyms

RogerK

Aug 20, 2015
This is what people say. It's true, but may not be the answer to your problem.

Personally, I just needed to get used to vaping. Chasing special liquids was not the answer for me. NOW I can vape 100% PG, no trouble. THEN, I couldn't vape a disposable e-cig from the gas station.

Be careful....

Also, knowing the "tank" you have, it's impossible to say whether this is playing a part in your trouble.
Maybe I should go to another type of e-cigarette! I wonder if the battery output could have something to do with it?

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
OK, I have been smoking regular cigarettes for years and lower nicotine levels in e-cigarettes doesn't give me the same satisfaction. I went to a higher nicotine level and the harshness in the vapor is still the same unless I take light drags. then it's fine! I must have to stick with the lighter drags.

There's an adjustment period to get used to vape. Certain flavors like cinnamon, menthol, and koolada will also add to the throat hit issue, but pg and nic are the most popular culprits.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Maybe I should go to another type of e-cigarette! I wonder if the battery output could have something to do with it?

Getting off the cigs, in my opinion, the two most important issues are finding the correct nic level, and a flavor you enjoy. You can do this with the inexpensive "starter kits" or other more expensive gear but you still need the nic and flavor.

scottfeldstein

Aug 29, 2015
West Bend, WI
Me, I quit cigs with nicotine patches for the first week. I went from more than a pack a day down to 14 mg patches--ouch. After a week of this, I ditched the patches and started vaping a 6 juice. That was a pretty good drop, too. A month later, I'm quite comfortable with the 6. Not sure if I'll even bother dropping my nicotine any further.

scottfeldstein

Aug 29, 2015
West Bend, WI
Last December I bought my itazte VV and some high nic juice. I was going to use it to quit. I discovered, however, that it was too harsh. I couldn't take one vape hit without coughing. Thus my quit plans were scuttled until just recently. I just couldn't handle the high nic juice. It was also some tobacco-flavored juice, which I think upon reflection was kind of nasty and designed to be kind of harsh to replicate a smoking experience. It just wasn't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread