VapingZone Concentrated Alcohol-based Flavors Reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I'm just going to start one thread and put all my reviews here (hope this doesn't break any rules). It will ultimately be a bit more neat this way

In an effort to be more tidy, I'm going to ask nicely that no one post any comments here. Please? Pretty please? Feel free to PM or chime in on the threads I linked at the end of this post. Thank you.

Some cool dudes hipped me to the new flavors being brought in my vaping zone a little while back.

These are all my opinions (duh). I don't claim to know much about anything. I've only been vaping for about 4-5 months now, and DIYing for about 3 months at most. Most of what I've done right I picked up from the vets on these boards, most of what I've done wrong has been all cyrus.

First some general info and observations on flavors:

1) These flavors all use alcohol as the flavor carrier.

2) They are extremely concentrated (the recommendation is 2.5.% Some report this being too much and make way with 1-2%, some DIYers who use heavy VG use a tad more, on the order of 3-5% max. I have yet to see anyone reporting the need to go higher, but I'm sure eventually someone will, as we are all different).

Personally I have used FA flavorings (which are considered concentrated, and they are) from 1 drop to 15.% I tend to be a bit of a flavor junky. I have yet to feel the need to go above 5% with these, and even that was only a few times.

In hindsight with those specific mixes, I ended up deciding that 3-4% was a better mark for me. And I use heavy VG (40-75%).

3) As I understand it the tobaccos are all flavor extractions from actual tobacco.

I can't validate this or refute it in any objective way. However, as a former pipe smoker, lover of walking into tobacco shops just to take a few whiffs (even these days), and someone who has recently dabbled a bit in tobacco extractions, I would be shocked if these were NOT flavors extracted from tobacco.

Nose: All of the tobaccos I have (see below) are unique among DIY flavors I own in that the second you uncap the bottle, they smell like fresh tobacco of some sort. Whether its pipe, cigar, cigarette, or something in between, the dominant nose is fresh tobacco. In many ways its just like walking into a tobacco shop.

Color: Most tend to be on the light side, a few darker. The flavor concentrations used are so low that the resulting mix tends to be very light.

Consistency: They are all very thin, essentially of equal viscosity to booze. This is very good because....

Drops: I use a graduated cylinder generally when mixing. I've found with every bottle so far that 5 drops equals .1 ml. If you are shocked because you thought 4 drops or 2 drops was equal to .1 ml, think about the things that affect this equation, notably, viscosity. These are thin flavors. More drops per ml. As someone who likes to be neurotic about their mixes with the graduated cylinder, this makes life even more easy, because I have yet to find any variation on this number above, and I can just add my 7 drops per 5ml (2.8%) without having my nose up to the cylinder to watch for the bottom of the meniscus to settle on the magic line. Or just mix straight into a bottle.

4) Every single one I've tried thus far works near perfect, or perfect, as a standalone flavoring. This is entirely unique in my experience in comparison to FA or TPA. This translates into easy success, limited frustration for the new mixer (new as in newb or new as in hey I just got this new flavor), and less wasted supplies. Many capella lovers often comment on how forgiving those flavors are. To me, these flavors are incredibly forgiving.

5) you won't return to your bottle after a few days and find that the flavor has vanished. enough said.

6) they do improve considerably with steeping, but are excellent right away as well.

7) this is just a hypothesis at this point, but I believe 'airing' (e.g. uncapping the bottle) can speed up the maturation process here, as it gives the alcohol-sweet notes to fly away. I'm still playing with this one. But even without airing, they are minimal, and will fly away on their own. Some report maximal maturity at 2 weeks, some a month. Some right away.

8) They DO mix well with other flavors in my limited experience so far. I've had a few winning combinations already with FA. And they also mix well together, not surprisingly.

I was going to cut and paste earlier reviews I posted in the threads below, but I think that would be boring. Instead as I revisit the flavors or visit them for the first time, I'll post fresh impressions here.

That's all about that for now

On to specific stuff, in time. Please be patient!

You can find more buzz here and here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/270008-new-super-concentrated-flavors.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-suppliers-forum/272516-e-liquid-vz-usa.html

Last edited:

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Nicotine:

VZ now carries nicotine, available in 100mg/ml 100% PG or 100% VG.

I was sent a small bottle to sample

I haven't vaped it yet, but I must say. I use MFS nic exclusively, and love the stuff. Its almost entirely clear, and I only 'taste it' if I push the nic to 30ish or above. And even then, its not a taste so much as it is that violent peppery explosion on the back of the throat (can be a good thing when you're in the mood).

This nic is CLEAR. I mean CLEAR lol. It looks like PG. Stay tuned for more on this.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Black and Mild:

25 nic (VZ)
25% PG
2.8% flavor
72.2 % VG

Vaped on: Iturbo/Stardust rewired at 2.0 ohms on a Riva 901 (4.2 Volts) fresh off the charger. 8.82 watts.

Steep time: A whopping 45 minutes

Color: Golden

Aroma: tobacco, tobacco, tobacco. what kind? I'm not sure, a mix of pipe and cigar. Really the aroma of the pipe/cigar section of the tobacco shop.

Aromatically, this is the closest thing to actual tobacco I've vaped to date, perhaps only matched by my favorite V4L USA blends (Aces and 8s, Stogie). And I just got it in the mail. Its a good saturday. Subtle chocolate.

Mouth/Texture: Velvet, silky, smooth.

Flavor: Smooth, mellow cigar flavors. Has more the dry and mellow notes of a cigar than the in your face depth of a pipe. Subtle chocolate again. Very soft touch of sweetness. No chemical or solventy notes whatsoever. No perfume. I keep licking my chops after every exhale lol

TH: I'm undecided on whether I can ascribe TH to flavor per se. I like to use the term TH exclusively for nic. So I'll call what most call "TH" in this context "punch." (I call what people ascribe to PG as TH, "heat.")

FA perique is a great example of a "punch." It literally burns your nose on the exhale, and burns your throat a bit on the inhale.

Nothing of the sort here, and I like it. This is unbelievably smooth but nevertheless full on flavor.

I may up the percentage on this one to see what happens. Likely I'll ruin it lol.

***A note on nic. This is my first tasting of the VZ nic. 25mg is generally my threshold for when I can start to notice a *bit* of that peppery pop I noted in the OP. I'm not getting ANY of that here. But I'm getting a wicked buzz (I can't stop vaping this).

So either I was sent a bottle of PG and placebo-ing myself to death here, or this is really clean nic, and MFS has been dethroned. Another possibility is that this flavor is so damn smooth that it masks the bite I start to pick up at this nic level.

Rating: 11/10

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Blackberry

25 nic (VZ)
25% PG
2.8% flavor
72.2 % VG

Vaped on: 2.6 ohm fluxomizer XL, Volt 78mm 3.7 volts, too lazy to calculate the watts:)

Vaping this while sipping on a dirty gin martini....

Steep Time: ~ 24 hrs

Color: clear

Aroma: Blackberry. Fresh blackberry. Not candy, not cute, not desert. A fresh bowl of blackberries, enjoyed on the porch during the summer

Mouth/Texture: Light, delicate, subtle

Flavor: Fresh blackberry. More tart than sweet, but a perfect and realistic balance. No synthetic or chemical notes, no candy notes. This tastes like the real thing, as much as that's possible.

This has great potential as a blender. You could easily take this in a desert direction with sweetener (it does NOT foist 'desert' on you straight away, which I'm thrilled about. Just fresh fruit).

You could also take it in a blackberry tobacco kind of direction. Even throw it in to a pipe blend for a faint hint of fruit.

That said, I'm sure the intention wasn't to create a 'tobacco blackberry,' and it may just be the gin talking, or the booze flavor-carrier base, but I swear I pick up a faint touch of a tobacco overtone here, and I love it.

TH e.g. Punch: Not much at all, just a nice tart bite.

standalone capacity: 10/10

Rating: 10/10

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California

25 nic (VZ)
25% PG
6% flavor
69% VG

I initially tried this one at 2.8%. I didn't taste much. I was reckless and upped it to 6%

Vaped on: 2.8 ohm fluxomizer XL syringe tank, Riva 901 fresh off the charger 4.2 Volts

Steep Time: Couple of days (lost track)

Color: Light brown

Aroma: A cross between cigarette and cigar tobaccos, slight hint of nut

Mouth/Texture: Bold, rich, dry

Flavor: Dry, robust tobacco with a slight touch of nut, a nutty bite, and sweet. Its' still understated, even at 6,% but its a great tobacco vape nevertheless. I was counseled to let it steep for longer, and I didn't, so that may be to blame for necessitating 6% for my purposes. Nevertheless, I really like this.

TH e.g. Punch: The most of any VZ flavor I have tried. Tremendous punch. What is "lacks" in flavor it makes up for in punch. Just speculating here, but there is great potential here as a be all end all tobacco base. This could easily be taken in the direction of sweet, or even more dry and robust.

standalone capacity: 8/10

Rating: 9/10

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Real Cig

25 nic (MFS)
25% PG
2.8 flavor
72.2% VG

Vaped on: 2.8 ohm fluxomizer XL, V4L diamond XL fresh off the charger (4.2 volts)

Steep Time: About a week

Aroma: Smells just like a freshly opened pack of cigarettes, something in the marlboro red family, but more mild and delicate

Mouth/Texture: Bold, rich, full bodied.

Flavor: Tastes exactly the way a fresh pack of cigarettes smells. Its actually kind of wild. Can something taste the way something smells? This does. My nose and my mouth are neurally crossed here, more than usual. There is a nice tobacco bite faintly reminiscent of smoking a straight up, hard cigarette, with the subtle sweet taste (again) of how cigs smell. NOT a pipe or cigar flavor at all, this is a CIG. This like 555 can be a phenomenal base if you don't want to vape it straight. I could easily see bittering and drying this up a bit with BW/Trimethyl Pyrazine, turning it into an RY4 with some caramel, vanilla, acetyl pyrazine, or just leaving it alone and getting all the pleasant flavor from an analog without any of the crap. The first time a had this a few weeks ago, I felt like it lacked body. Not this time.

TH e.g. Punch: Close to 555, as in slamming. Not quite as punchy though. There is certainly a nice cig bite to it, but the subtle sweet notes balance the kick on the throat in a nice way

standalone capacity: 9/10

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
A note on VZ nic

I decided to get silly and mixed up two batches of something special, one at 35 nic (vz), one at 35 nic (mfs)

The explosive throat hit was identical between the two flavors. But the MFS was far closer to rearing the peppery/irritating/bitter bite that I've noticed comes on gradually as you increase the nic past 25.

The VZ nic also picked up a hint of this, but far, far less.

And they both got me wrecked.

As I said before, and 'over there,' it seems MFS, which is a phenomenal product, has been dethroned...

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Cherry

25 nic (MFS)
25% PG
3.2% flavor
71.8 % VG

Vaped on: 901 2.5 ohm atomizer, Riva 901 fresh off the charger 4.2 volts

Steep time: ~48 hours

Color: Light yellow

Aroma: Light, pleasant cherry, a cross between a fresh bowl of cherries and something a bit more candyish, but not quite maraschino or movie theater candy.

Mouth/Texture: Crisp, light, delicate

Flavor: Perfect balance of tart and sweet, fresh cherry and candy-ish. Like the bberry I'm hallucinating again, picking up a slight bite/smoke/tobacco. I'm nuts. I mean SLIGHT. lol. No offensive notes whatsoever, no perfume, no chemicals. Great on its own, could make a wonderful medley with other sweets, tart up a nice menthol blend, or sweeten a nice cigar/pipe blend

TH/Punch: Very smooth on the throat, no nostril burn on the exhale either. Very pleasant.

Standalone Potential: 10/10

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Cinnamon Bun

I'm baffled by this one lol. Its so inoffensive in its repulsiveness I can't stop vaping it.

Vaped on: 901 2.5 ohm atomizer, Riva 901 fresh off the charger 4.2 volts

Steep time: ~48 hours

Aroma: slight hint of cinnamon, strong woody notes, sandalwood, egyptian musk. No sweet pastry aroma at all.

Mouth/Texture: Rich, creamy, full

Flavor: Really strange. Really strong sandalwood and musk. My cultural background has exposed me to many a burning of raw incense and big burly men doused in egyptian musk, sandalwood, etc. Thats exactly what this tastes like. Its so bad its impressive, even likeable lol. I don't taste any cinnamon bun at all!

TH/Punch: Smooth and easy on the throat, not much bite at all

Rating: 5/10. I'm honestly feeling like it deserves a 0/10 and a 10/10 at the same time. Its not what I thought it would be at ALL. But its really unique. Its not perfume in the way that we call tobacco flavors perfumey, but its quite literally perfume as above. I could see this being useful for woody notes in pipe/cigar blends.

Standalone Potential: Guess it depends on who you are. For me, 0/10. If you like it, probably 10/10. Nothing in between!

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Cohiba:

20 nic (MFS)
50% PG
5.0% flavor
45% % VG

Vaped On: 2.7 ohm fluxomizer, Riva 901 4.2 volts

Steep Time: ~8 days

Color: Golden Yellow

Aroma: Light, slightly sweet tobacco, reminiscent of a cigar wrap in a way, hint of a chocolate odor

Mouth Feel/Texture: Rich, creamy, buttery

Flavor: Delicate, bright tobacco, tastes like a cigar wrap smells, subtle chocolate and cream notes (though distinct from black and mild entirely), mild smoky flavor most perceptible on exhale. This could be a perfect addition to a more robust tobacco to create a more 'in your face' kind of cigar blend. Its the VZ analog of what FA cuban is to me: The delicate, sweet and subtle side of the cigar vape.

Punch: Very mild

Standalone potential: 9/10

Vaped on: Iturbo/Stardust rewired at 2.0 ohms on a Riva 901 (4.2 Volts) fresh off the charger. 8.82 watts.

Steep time: A whopping 45 minutes

Color: Golden

Aroma: tobacco, tobacco, tobacco. what kind? I'm not sure, a mix of pipe and cigar. Really the aroma of the pipe/cigar section of the tobacco shop.

Aromatically, this is the closest thing to actual tobacco I've vaped to date, perhaps only matched by my favorite V4L USA blends (Aces and 8s, Stogie). And I just got it in the mail. Its a good saturday. Subtle chocolate.

Mouth/Texture: Velvet, silky, smooth.

Flavor: Smooth, mellow cigar flavors. Has more the dry and mellow notes of a cigar than the in your face depth of a pipe. Subtle chocolate again. Very soft touch of sweetness. No chemical or solventy notes whatsoever. No perfume. I keep licking my chops after every exhale lol

TH: I'm undecided on whether I can ascribe TH to flavor per se. I like to use the term TH exclusively for nic. So I'll call what most call "TH" in this context "punch." (I call what people ascribe to PG as TH, "heat.")

FA perique is a great example of a "punch." It literally burns your nose on the exhale, and burns your throat a bit on the inhale.

Nothing of the sort here, and I like it. This is unbelievably smooth but nevertheless full on flavor.

I may up the percentage on this one to see what happens. Likely I'll ruin it lol.

***A note on nic. This is my first tasting of the VZ nic. 25mg is generally my threshold for when I can start to notice a *bit* of that peppery pop I noted in the OP. I'm not getting ANY of that here. But I'm getting a wicked buzz (I can't stop vaping this).

So either I was sent a bottle of PG and placebo-ing myself to death here, or this is really clean nic, and MFS has been dethroned. Another possibility is that this flavor is so damn smooth that it masks the bite I start to pick up at this nic level.

Rating: 11/10

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Dunhill

20 nic (MFS)
50% PG
45% VG
5% flavor

Vaped On: 2.7 ohm fluxomizer and fully charged, newly built Puck (thank you Mr. Puck!); 2.7 ohm fluxomizer and V4L diamond XL; 2.7 ohm fluxomizer and 3.7 volt Echo

Steep Time: 2 minutes

Color: light brown/golden yellow

Aroma: chocolate, cream, mild cigarette tobacco, subtle smokiness

Mouth Feel/Texture: Midway between "thin" and "rich" (the latter being Black and Mild at a 10/10 on the richness scale); slighty buttery but still somewhat crisp

Flavor: Unbelievable. Stellar. An all day vape. Chocolate notes, creamy notes, cigarette tobacco notes (NOT like real cig, this is a different base), light smoke. This is a cigarette incarnation of black and mild. What black and mild lacks in the cig tobacco department, this entirely fulfills, balanced by cutting back a bit on the cream/chocolate flavor. There is a *touch* of an earthy/bitter flavor here as well, again reminiscent of a quality cig (think dunhill, nat sherman).

Punch: Just right. Not too much, not too little. Not in your face, but not incurably smooth.

Standalone Potential: 11/10

Rating: 12/10

This is now my favorite. Unbelievable!

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Nuport

25 nic (MFS)
25% PG
72.5% VG
2.5% flavor

Vaped On: 2.0 ohm rewired fluxomizer, Halo G6 78mm Auto 3.7 volts

Color: relatively clear, is that a hint of green I see, or am I hallucinating? Probably hallucinating.

Aroma: Not much

Mouth Feel/Texture: crispy, sharp, pointed

Flavor: Delicious menthol, not overpowering at all, with background tobacco notes that are light (not intense tobacco shop like real cig or french pipe, more like desert ship or even virginia flue cured). Not terribly sweet either. Refreshing will still giving a balanced tobacco flavor, something most menthol juices rarely do. I've also had it at 5%, and its great, but there the tobacco notes get smothered in menthol; if that's your thing, its doable, and its still great

Could use a touch more tobacco IMO, but this is easily rectified with a dash of Real Cig, I've done it, and it rocks. VA works great too for more of a throaty bite.

Standalone Potential: 9/10

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
MANGO

18mg (VZ 100mg USP 99.9% PG base)
75% PG (99.9% Froggy Fogs)
VG (Procter & Gamble)

Equipment..Madvapes Roughstack 6volts, with a Smoktech 2.0 dct tank

Color.. Flavoring is a pale yellow, but steep time will change it to a pale orange.

Aroma..Smells like a mango tree! Believe me, I have them all over the place in the Keys!!!

Mouth feel/ Texture.. Very silky and smooth, with that distinctive texture of a true mango.

Flavor.. Sweet succulent true to the taste mango, although when not steeped it tastes like a mango smoothie.

Punch/TH.. Very subtle, smooooooooooooooooth like silk!!! I love this flavor for my in the middle of the night nic. withdrawals.

Standalone Potential.. 10/10

Rating.. 10/10 Steep time.. 5 days

Last edited:

25 nic (VZ)
25% PG
6% flavor
69% VG

I initially tried this one at 2.8%. I didn't taste much. I was reckless and upped it to 6%

Vaped on: 2.8 ohm fluxomizer XL syringe tank, Riva 901 fresh off the charger 4.2 Volts

Flavor: Dry, robust tobacco with a slight touch of nut, a nutty bite, and sweet. Its' still understated, even at 6,% but its a great tobacco vape nevertheless. I was counseled to let it steep for longer, and I didn't, so that may be to blame for necessitating 6% for my purposes. Nevertheless, I really like this.

TH e.g. Punch: The most of any VZ flavor I have tried. Tremendous punch. What is "lacks" in flavor it makes up for in punch. Just speculating here, but there is great potential here as a be all end all tobacco base. This could easily be taken in the direction of sweet, or even more dry and robust.

I use this at 2% and it is an awesome standalone. Another .5% vanilla is really good with it.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Black Fire

3.2% flavor
20 nic (MFS)
50/46.8 PG/VG

Vaped On: 3.0 ohm fluxomizer and fully charged Puck (~5.5 volts)

Color: Honey/Gold

Aroma: Coconut, Caramel, Clove, Spiced Rum

Mouth feel/Texture: Thick, syrupy

Flavor: Tastes like it smells. This comes off as a blend of coconut, caramel, clove and spiced rum. Do not expect the FA blackfire experience from this, its something else entirely. Do you like Halo Tikki Blend? This tastes to me like a more balanced, palatable Tikki without that nasty Dr. Pepper nonsense. Its not exactly my cup of tea, but it is quite good, and if you are into 'island' type flavors, I think this one is going to do it for you. There is a bit of a 'musty' flavor, I don't know how else to describe it, its my only real gripe here. To be honest I have a strong hunch that dropping this back to 2.5% or less would get rid of it, or suppress to the point where it isn't bothersome. But if you like spiced rum and clove, you might not call that note 'musty' at all, but delicious. I also added 2 drops of vanilla/5ml, it didn't do much, but seems to smooth it out a bit. This could also do well in a more broad mix if you just want to add a hint of these notes without making them the centerpiece of your juice. Personally I can't see myself vaping this on its own but once in a while, but like I said, its not exactly my cup of tea.

Punch/TH:Stronger than you would expect. This isn't exactly a sweet experience, and it certainly packs a punch and kick

Standalone Potential: 8/10

Rating: 7/10

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California

25 nic (VZ)
25% PG
6% flavor
69% VG

So after some time steeping, and a bump to ~6.6% at equal parts VG/PG, this flavor has come to life in a whole new way.

The slight nut notes I referred to above are now STRONG, its a deep rich nutty bite, and DRY, not a candy shop nut flavor. They take on a whole new character with the increased %. Some may actually find it a bit much.

Its nicely balanced by a sweetness (not candy, mind you) but more like that tobacco shop sweet aroma that's also no longer soft, but in the foreground. I love it at this level. I may push higher to 7 or 8% and report back. And at this level I couldn't call it a 'dry' tobacco anymore, its much more like an even balance of wet and dry, if you take my meaning.

And the aroma is stellar now as well, my apartment smells of tobacco and nut. And my GF hasn't complained ONCE!

And I think I would edit my previous numbers to:

Standalone: 10

Rating: 10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread