VapingZone Concentrated Alcohol-based Flavors Reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggs5347

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Arizona
I made up some more flavors recently.
Blueberry - very good
Apricot - very good
Peach - good
Lemon - very good
Banana - good
Mixed fruit - very good
Double Apple - very good
Vanilla - okay, something about it isn't quite right
Butterscotch - just okay but is terrific mixed with banana
Butter Rum - okay
Amaretto - okay
Chocolate Mint - meh, the chocolate isn't coming through and it tastes like menthol rather than mint
Peppermint - Tastes like pure menthol to me
Desert Ship - surprisingly good, I thought it would be harsh
Dunhill - very good
Black & Mild - very good
Island tobacco - very good
Real Cig - good, nice for new vapers, i think
555 - meh
RY4 - very good after steeping for a couple weeks
HFC - very good
French Pipe - very good
Fresh Breath - meh
Capuccino - so so
Mocha Caramel - so so but Capuccino and Mocha Caramel together are good

I have several more to try. I really love these for the most part. Since I have to have absolutely 100% VG, I'm very happy.

Last edited:

Buggs5347

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Arizona
Thanks! For the most part, I havent found anything to generally seem too sweet, but ever so often my taste sense will think things are sweet when they shouldn't be and sweet things do taste too sweet. It's always fleeting but annoying. It would be nice to have something on hand to counteract it, when it happens.

ethebull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
United States
I have not experimented with it much, really. There are a few of my less than favorite tobacco juices that come off too sweet, and adding the Bitter Truth did improve them. I don't see needing it with most of what I vape, bc they already taste great to me, (duh.)

I know I'd use it more if I favored a higher VG %. But I have settled on 80/20 PG/VG, which for me brings out more flavor and less sweetening.

Last edited:

calan

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Piedmont
After a couple of weeks (read: hours and hours) of playing around with the VZ flavors, here is my take on some of them:

Tobaccos

(All are light mixes: 50/50, 1.8% at 6mg)

VFC - Excellent. Very smooth and mild taste. This is the one I keep going back to; it just works.

HFC - Again, excellent. Very similar to VFC but slightly milder and maybe a touch sweeter.

Dunhill - Still trying to decide if I like this. I can't quite define the flavor, but it has a sharpness to it. There doesn't seem to be much depth to it, but the flavor isn't bad. I think adding something heavier to round out the bottom would improve it significantly.

555 - Tastes like a bowl of potpourri with a touch of something bitter tossed on top. One of the few VZ flavors that I just don't like.

Old Captain - Very good, but there is an overtone of something (cinnamon?) that is a bit over-powering and lingers long after the other flavor has diminished. I really, REALLY want to love this flavor, but I gotta do something with that cinnamon thing...

French Pipe - Also very good with quite a bit of complexity, but the flavors don't seem to blend as well as they should. Maybe this will improve with age.

Real Cig - I'm having a hard time buying into this 100%, as much as I want to. While the flavor is very "old Lucky Strike" like and actually pretty good, I can't get past the ashtray/harshness that hits after the initial flavor. I think it has possibilities, but I'm not sure what to do with it yet.

Black Cigar - This one is just...strange. At first I liked it, then I hated it, then I loved it, and now I mostly just find it interesting. It's heavy on the chocolate (and one or two other flavors I can't quite put my finger on), but still has a mild tobacco taste that comes through every now and then. I think this would be a good "blender" flavor, that could be used to add fullness and complexity to the more pure tobaccos.

FWIW, I find that 1 drop per 10ml of distilled white vinegar or apple cidar vinegar can really improve some of these tobaccos, especially the Dunhill. It knocks the sharpness down a little and rounds out the darker flavors.

Fruit SC flavors

Cherry - This is a bitter cherry; don't expect it to give you that cherry candy flavor. It is VERY strong, and a little goes a long way. I love cherry in general, but I've found limited use for this one. The black cherry from TPA seems to find it's way into a lot more of my mixing jars.

Double Apple - Not sure what the "double" refers to in the name, but it tastes like apples.

Dragon Fruit - Very unique flavor. You'll either love it or hate it. :)

Orange - Seems to be an accurate flavor, but not very strong. Needs to be mixed at higher percentages than the other SC flavors.

Raspberry - Nice, although not a "real" off-the-vine raspberry from what I remember in my youth.

Blackberry - Excellent, as others have mentioned. A drop or two can be added to almost anything to provide a nice fruity variation.

Misc SC Flavors

Almond - Typical strong almond flavor. Haven't found much use for it yet, but I will.

Banana - Not bad, but seems to have a mind of it's own. In some mixes it works perfectly; in others it is either over-powering or non-existent.

Butterscotch - Doesn't really taste like butterscotch to me, but it isn't bad. A drop or two of caramel fixes it up nicely. (Note: If you are trying to get a realistic "Buttery Nipple" flavor with this and some Irish cream, I hope you have more luck than I have. If you do manage it, I'd love to hear how you did it.)

Black Tea - Excellent, but needs to be mixed at higher percentages to get a true strong tea flavor.

Coffee - Not bad, but meh.... I was hoping for a "singe your nose" black coffee aroma, but this just doesn't do it for me. Oddly enough, both this coffee and the one from TPA reminds me of bacon for some reason. :)

Caramel - Nice. Useful in many recipes to add some body.

Chocolate - Not bad, but a bit tricky to get dialed in. Getting a truly usable stand-alone chocolate seems to require some careful mixing.

Cocoa Chocolate - Nice, delicate flavor, but a little tricky to get the right mix dialed in. Once you have it though, it's excellent.

Coconut - I'm still trying to find the coconut. Either my taste buds can no longer recognize coconut, or this flavor is extremely weak.

Cola - Haven't been able to make this work yet. Anyone have a recipe they'd like to share?

Cream - Not bad, but not as creamy as a general purpose cream should be. (See the Baverian Creme below)

Hazelnut - Typical hazelnut flavor. Very powerful, more similar to chocolate than an actual hazelnut.

Menthol - Typical menthol. Like most, a little goes a long way.

Vanilla - I really like vanilla, but this one baffles me. I sometimes find myself adding drop after drop to a mix with no change in flavor (warm baths and shaking between each), and then out of nowhere I have a bottle of vile, useless liquid. If there is a secret for getting this vanilla to blend consistently, I'd love to hear it.

Vanilla Ice Cream - This flavor is excellent, but I haven't been able to make it work on it's own. It is a delicate flavor that can't overcome the taste of pure VG/PG, and seems to need something to attach itself to. Mixed with a bit of cream or other flavor though, it is quite good.

Misc Concentrated Flavors

Baverian Crème - Excellent! This is much better than the SC Creme flavor by far; much smoother and more creamy tasting. This is one of my go-to flavors for many mixes, and is extremely useful for smoothing out sharpness, blending stubborn flavors, and adding body.

Banana Nut Bread - Typical BNB.

Cinnamon Spice - Ehhh... tastes like cinnamon spice.

Circus Cotton Candy - Tastes as expected, but I really have no use for this. Not sure why I even bought it.

Honey - Decent flavor, but rather weak. Can be useful for adding that nice, undefined "something" to tobacco blends.

Honeysuckle Nectar - This sounded really good during a wide-eyed flavor buying binge, but I have yet to find a use for it other than novelty.

Maple - Nice maple flavor. Like the honey flavor, useful for adding that extra "something" to tobaccos.

Peanut Butter - Nice flavor that is pretty true to the real thing. More useful as a blender than a standalone flavor though. When you need something to make a mix stick to the roof of your mouth, try a drop or two of this. :)

Pina Colada - Not bad, but nothing special. My first impression was an immediate flashback to 31 years ago, when I got my first car and bought a pina colada air freshener for it. Weird how that works. :)

Red Hot Cinnamon - Holy crap; this is HOT! Definitely tastes like concentrated red hot candy.

Waffle - Surprisingly realistic. A bit of this, along with a few drops of Maple, TPA pecan, and some sucralose ... and you have a nice stack of pecan pancakes!

French Vanilla Deluxe - An excellent flavor, but shares some of the traits of the SC vanilla and can be tempermental. Like the Vanilla Ice Cream, it is a delicate flavor and doesn't do as well on it's own. However, a few drops of this mixed with some Baverian Creme, or a drop or two added to the HFC or VFC tobaccos is top shelf.

calan

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Piedmont
Black Cigar - This one is just...strange. At first I liked it, then I hated it, then I loved it, and now I mostly just find it interesting. It's heavy on the chocolate (and one or two other flavors I can't quite put my finger on), but still has a mild tobacco taste that comes through every now and then. I think this would be a good "blender" flavor, that could be used to add fullness and complexity to the more pure tobaccos.

Seems that my hunch was correct. I decided to experiment a little, and went in search of a nice, light cherry cigar flavor. (I always loved the smell of swisher sweets, but never liked the taste). I decided to use the Black Cigar as the base, with some VFC on top. The results were quite nice, if I do say so myself. :)

I had some pre-made light mixes of BC and VFC that I used, but here is the recipe if you were to start from scratch. (All drops are from standard PET dropper bottles.)

10ml of base liquid, your choice. I used 50/50 at just 6mg nic.

VZ VFC Tobacco - 4 drops
VZ Black Cigar - 4 drops
TPA Black Cherry - 2 drops (start with just one drop and increase as needed for desired amount of cherry)
VZ Baverian Cream - 1 drop
Distilled White Vinegar (DWV) - 1 drop

I gave it a hot bath/vigorous shaking for 20 mins or so, and it was good to go, but it gets better with age as expected. You could increase the tobaccos to 5-7 drops if desired, but I find that the higher tobacco percentages are a little over-powering. YMMV of course.

For a more harsh flavor, replace the VFC with Real Cig or Dunhill, or leave out the DWV. For a slightly smoother and sweeter flavor, replace the VFC with HFC.

French Pipe - Also very good with quite a bit of complexity, but the flavors don't seem to blend as well as they should. Maybe this will improve with age.

A drop of Baverian Cream, a drop of French Vanilla Deluxe, and 24 hours worked wonders on this one.

Last edited:

calan

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Piedmont
My favorite tobacco blend from VZ is a 50/50 mix of VZSC HFC and Hangsen TAB. 50/50 is a post mixed blend. Made from scratch I use 1.5% HFC + 3% HTAB.

Just a perfect mix of full rich tobacco with a lightly sweet finish.

I really need to pick up some of the Hangsten flavors and give them a spin.

The VFC and HFC are just fantastic IMO. Even after smoking cigarettes for 30+ years, I never imagined I would enjoy the actual "taste" of tobacco...but I keep going back to these flavors.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I really need to pick up some of the Hangsten flavors and give them a spin.

The VFC and HFC are just fantastic IMO. Even after smoking cigarettes for 30+ years, I never imagined I would enjoy the actual "taste" of tobacco...but I keep going back to these flavors.

I like all the SC tobaccos but I always go back to Desert Ship. It's my favorite. One thing I've found that makes a big difference on how these taste is the quality of the nic. When I started DIY I got WL reg nic. They I got some WL Ice and I could really tell the difference. Now I only use VZ nic base and it's every bit as good as WL Ice if not better.

calan

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Piedmont
Tried Old Captain @2.5% 85pg/15vg /14mg nic it does have a cinnamon note at this percent but not overpowering...

I wonder if the overly-strong cinnamon that I'm tasting is due to me mixing it light at 1.7%? My guess is yes, since cinnamon will cut through at even very low concentrations. I'll mix up a batch at a higher concentration and see if strengthening the other flavors will wash out some of the cinnamon.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I wonder if the overly-strong cinnamon that I'm tasting is due to me mixing it light at 1.7%? My guess is yes, since cinnamon will cut through at even very low concentrations. I'll mix up a batch at a higher concentration and see if strengthening the other flavors will wash out some of the cinnamon.

I mix all of the VZ SC flavors at 2.5 to 3%. Seems to get the best flavor for me.

calan

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Piedmont
I mix all of the VZ SC flavors at 2.5 to 3%. Seems to get the best flavor for me.

I tried a couple at 2.5% when I first got them, and decided it was too strong. After that, I just started mixing them all at around 1.6% to 1.8% by default. Now that I have a bit more experience with them (and it's come to my attention), I think I'll try going back up to around 2.5% or so and see how the flavors change.

The simplistic side of me says that 1 drop per ml seems like a magical number. :D

calan

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Piedmont
10ml of base liquid, your choice. I used 50/50 at just 6mg nic.

VZ HFC Tobacco - 5 drops
VZ Black Cigar - 4 drops
TPA Black Cherry - 2 drops (start with just one drop and increase as needed for desired amount of cherry)
VZ Baverian Cream - 1 drop (or two...depending on taste)
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) - 1 drop

I tweaked this a bit... and I like it. ;)

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
so I guess 7 drops HFC on 5ml is a bit too much. and I'd need even less on the Gourmet line? how many drops of Yuco per 5ml?

I made my Yuco at 1% and thats how I like it. 2-3 drops for 5 ml depending how many drops per ml your dropper produces. I know on the SC's if you buy the little bottles they are about 45 drops per ml which you would enter in the drops per ml line in your calculator if you are using one. Not sure if anyone has mentioned how many drops per ml are on these Gourmet dropper bottles. I just played it by ear the first mixing since its drops we are talking about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread