Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
We had a good thread earlier today about using a regulated DC power supply to feed a vape wand from wall juice. Steam power is an interesting concept. I suspect it could be made to work. Run the steam through a coil and use the coil's heat to vaporize the juice, why not? Don't believe I'd care to hold it in my hand, though. Or carry a boiler around.

Reactions: Cloudd

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Ultracapacitors...

I'm working on a project now where we are using a string of six thumb-sized caps in series to start motorcycles. 370A peaks, 120A for one second, and then 20A continuous.

They have very, very little capacity but their internal resistance is very low. Just put two in series and parallel that with a LiPo battery and you can easily dump 2,000W into a coil...or a ten-coil hookah. :)

Can you use just the LiPo's? Sure! But the caps will let the LiPo's run a lot easier and let you do some crazy preheating before switching in the LiPo's to take over.

Just a thought...:D

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Ultracapacitors...

I'm working on a project now where we are using a string of six thumb-sized caps in series to start motorcyclex. 370A peaks, 120A for one second, and then 20A continuous.

They have very, very little capacity but their internal resistance is very low. Just put two in series and parallel that with a LiPo battery and you can easily dump 2,000W into a coil...or a ten-coil hookah. :)

Can you use just the LiPo's? Sure! But the caps will let the LiPo's run a lot easier and let you do some crazy preheating before switching in the LiPo's to take over.

Just a thought...:D
    Lol, wow, Mooch! I eagerly anticipate your success. It shouldn't require much of an announcement, either. The mushroom cloud should be visible several states away :) Speaking as an old Harley rider, though, getting rid of those ridiculous batteries would be a huge improvement. You're gonna charge the caps with the LiPo?

Reactions: Ryedan

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Lol, wow, Mooch! I eagerly anticipate your success. It shouldn't require much of an announcement, either. The mushroom cloud should be visible several states away :) Speaking as an old Harley rider, though, getting rid of those ridiculous batteries would be a huge improvement. You're gonna charge the caps with the LiPo?

For the project I'm on we won't be using LiPo's. Another chemistry is being used but I can't say which. I mentioned LiPo's because it was the best choice for vapers to use when building for over 2,000W. :)

They already have lithium-ion starting batteries for even the biggest bikes and some people have already paired up ultracaps with these batteries, and even lead-acid, to help with starts. It's amazing how much current you can get from one pound of battery versus ten pounds! Very low capacity though so stopping with lights on, heated jacket/gloves, or sound system running doesn't work well.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    nuclear reactors.... glow in the dark, easy to find, lasts for years.... just need to figure out how to get rid of these weird growths on my lips

DSCF0003.JPG

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    For the project I'm on we won't be using LiPo's. Another chemistry is being used but I can't say which. I mentioned LiPo's because it was the best choice for vapers to use when building for over 2,000W. :)

They already have lithium-ion starting batteries for even the biggest bikes and some people have already paired up ultracaps with these batteries, and even lead-acid, to help with starts. It's amazing how much current you can get from one pound of battery versus ten pounds! Very low capacity though so stopping with lights on, heated jacket/gloves, or sound system running doesn't work well.
    It'll be good news when you get it whistling Dixie.

Reactions: Mooch
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread