Vapor problems on twisted 28g kanthal?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by ohm ike, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ohm ike

ohm ike Full Member

Hey guys I'm pretty new to vaping and read up on safely vaping mechs. So I picked up a k101, sony 30a 18650 IMR, and nimbus v5 clone. I twisted my 28g kanthal and did 9wraps. I only made single coil. It's reading .9 ohms and I'm using organic cotton wick with 100% vg juice. But when I vape I am not getting the nice amount of vapor/taste I want. My itaste mvp2 and iclear 30s produce just as much. I only have that one 3.7v battery. So any ideas on why I'm not getting much vapor? Also will adding another coil identical to the one I have on effect the resistance? Should I try not twisting the kanthal? I was under the impression that twisting made it where you could have higher resistence however somehow burn hotter? Thanks.

2. TheReign

TheReign Ultra Member ECF Veteran

hm. Well considering the K101 has the protection chip inside I want to say that might be the reason? Never fiddled around with a k100 or k101 so thats all I have man.

3. dripdaze

dripdaze Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Adding an identical coil will cut the resistance in half.

4. DoogieTony

DoogieTony Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'd suggest that you start off with "simple" coils and become proficient at making them before moving on to twisted 28g.

Look up some videos on micro coils and give them a shot.

5. SilentFox

SilentFox Senior Member ECF Veteran

Well have owned 2 k101's both the 510 threads are junk now after dropping it many a time. It in fact doesnt have any protection chips in them and i got astounding amounts of vapor from my setups with it. Twisting kanthal will not increase the resistance but infact decrease it. I highly suggest doing a 7-8 wrap micro on a 7/64th drill bit using a single strand of 28g kanthal. Should give you around a 1.3 ohm resistance and vape quality will be great. Report back after youve tried this setup if you want and let us know the results. Or you can do a 10 wrap on a 5/64th drill bit for a 1.4 ohm coil which i use alot and is an amazing vape.

6. el Jexican

el Jexican Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Air hole size and how you are wicking it all comes to play for vapor production as well. Post pics and we might be able to help you out. I run a twisted 28g (6wraps) at .6ohms and it chucks almost as much as my .4ohm dual 26g.

7. ohm ike

ohm ike Full Member

So adding another coil lowers the overall resistance? And yeah, I should have experimented with easier coils, I agree. This was supposed to be a microcoil but it wouldn't stay tight so I decided to space them out. It read 1.5 as a microcoil. I will try that @silentfox... The air hole is 1/8" going to try and post a pic

8. ohm ike

ohm ike Full Member

image.jpg This is my first build so I'd like any pointers. Also, I'm putting the air hole right by the coil.

9. SilentFox

SilentFox Senior Member ECF Veteran

I think the problem you might be having is that you have too big of an air hole for .9 ohms. Try reducing the wraps to 6 or 7 and get it down to .5 or .6 ohms and then you should be getting nice vapor. The second thing im thinking may be wrong is that its taking awhile to heat up your coil therefore not getting hot enough to produce.

10. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

twisting the wire makes it behave like a thicker wire, thus more power required to make it run hot.
    Take the time to understand the simple mechanics of wires, resistances, ohm law, battery voltages, charging, discharging.... learn before you burn.

11. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

and double the power requirements if not even 4X the power

12. ohm ike

ohm ike Full Member

Bunnykiller, I'm not trying to have someone tell me exactly how to do a build. I'm simply asking for advice and pointers on my current build. I'm also trying to learn different ways people seem to enjoy vaping. I realize that the fun is in experimentation.

13. krisco65

krisco65 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Try a 28g kanthal not wrapped at about 7-8 turns. Try and get your coils as close as possible.

14. ZeroOhms

ZeroOhms Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Looks fine. Do a few primer fire first. (1 sec firing one after other) this will heat the coil up and when you fire to vape, it would be nice and hot.

A few possible tweaking. get the coils tighter for warmer vapor. shorten the leg (coil to post). keep the coil off the deck a bit more. use less cotton. these are all minor stuff you will learn to fine tune after a few build.

15. jaysuk91

jaysuk91 Full Member

try cutting a couple wraps off of it, make another identical coil and run it parallel with the other. it should give you about .3ohms. hope it this helps and gl!

16. ZeroOhms

ZeroOhms Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    haha. please let's not suggest running 0.3 for OP's second build.

17. Mikey6

Mikey6 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The twists is going to add more wire, so even though there's less resistance, it will still take a bit to heat up. Try single wire coils. If you do like 5-6 wraps it may raise your resistance a bit but will likely warm up a bit quick and it's easier to cinch the coils together nice and tight for a good micro. Learning and experimenting is half the fun.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

18. jaysuk91

jaysuk91 Full Member

but hes already going into that range when he started doing twisted coils and running below 1ohm. i do admit i shouldve said in my earlier post that he should know his ohms law and battery limitations, but hes going to do it anyways.

19. ImThatGuy

ImThatGuy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

First things first...the k101 or k100 is a full mechanical mod. There is no protection circuit/chip in it.

To the OP, your coil build is fine if you're not chasing clouds, but it seems like you are. Reduce the wraps on that coil; less wire = less resistance for cloud chasing. Stuff the cotton through your coil and place the cotton around the coil. Not everywhere on the base of your atomizer since you only have one coil. A dual coil would be sufficient for the stuffing of the base.

Fully charge the battery and vape. If it produces the desired vapor, then vape on. If not, then reduce a wrap until you hit your sweet spot.

20. ohm ike

ohm ike Full Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Gonna try another build this weekend. And I know what my battery can handle and I know a little about ohms law and how to calculate my resistence, watts, volts, etc. and safely charging/discharging my batt so I'm not going to blow myself up, don't worry. ;) and not really cloud chasing per-say, just want more vapor than I'm getting and a better taste and throat hit. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.