Vapor problems on twisted 28g kanthal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohm ike

Feb 8, 2014
So I built a dual micro coil 6/5 wraps. Non twisted 28g wire. Reads .4 ohms and burns evenly with no hot legs. The vapor is amazing but holy .... the taste is crazy good and throat hit just perfect for me. Thanks so much for the tips guys! I think my problem was having that thick wire with only 3.7v and too much length as well. Not to mention my coil is too low so it was pretty much sitting in juice and now I'm not putting cotton under the coil. Will post pic.

MoBait

Jan 22, 2014
San Diego
Hey Ike, glad you got a build you enjoy. Thought I'd let you know though, the 3.7 volt batteries actually pump current at about 4.2 volts when fully charged, keep that in mind when calculating amperage. Also, as you know, thicker wire = lower resistance... lower resistance equals more power with the same voltage. Example:

I=V/R
P=I*V

where V=voltage, R= resistance, P= power (in watts), I= current (in amperes)

Let's calculate the current, then the wattage, for a 0.5 ohm build in a mechanical mod...

I= 4.2v / 0.5 ohm = 8.4 amps
P= 8.4 amps * 4.2v = 35.3 watts

Now we'll do the same for a 0.3 ohm build...

I= 4.2v / 0.3 ohm = 14 amps
P= 14 amps * 4.2v = 58.8 watts

In conclusion, your battery is not limited by its voltage but by its maximum continuous discharge current. So as long as you are keeping a safe margin from that limit, you will get more power through a lower resistance build. Maybe you can try a dual twisted 28 ga micro coil build using 8-10 wraps on each coil. In my experience, the key to wrapping a clean twisted 28 ga coil is to torch the wire before wrapping to get the springiness out, then torching the coil while compressed with pliers to hold its shape.

ohm ike

Feb 8, 2014
Pics? Cotton or wick?

zyjahe3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoBait

Jan 22, 2014
San Diego
Current, like water, always travels through the path of least resistance. Before I wick my coils, I dry fire to see if the coils turn red at the same rate. If one is heating up faster, I use my needlenose pliers to squeeze the coil (making sure not to accidentally fire the device). I keep doing this until both coils heat up (turn red) at virtually the same rate. This way, vapor generation will be the most efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread