Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
My Vapor Skinz arrived today! Yay!!!

First off, my order was placed on Wednesday Jan 21st, Vapor Skinz printed the label that day as well. So 8 days is a little long! ...even for the USPS!
What is it with the USPS in Texas?

Packaging

The Skin was packaged in a large manila sized envelope with thick cardboard and bubble wrap inside to protect the vapor skinz from your typical delivery mistakes. The outside was marked "PRIORITY MAIL", and was also stamped "PHOTOGRAPHS DO NOT BEND". My VS arrived intact and unbent. Included the VS were nicely done instructions, a VS sticker, and a business card with a 10% off code of "BADWOLF". The other side of the card is their sister company Arsenal Stands that make a very interesting modular stand for your vape gear.
wow! WOW! W0W!!! This is one gorgeous skin! Nice textured wood grain, looks like a medium/dark stained oak to me. Vapor Skins refers to this as "Dark Tamo Wood" on their order page for the ipv mini.
Contents of envelope:

2015-01-29 12.31.36.jpg

Installation/Application of the Vapor Skinz

I followed the directions, and washed my hands and cleaned my iPV Mini as good as possible with a clean dry soft cloth. I went one step further, with a little rubbing alcohol q-tips on only the metal portion where the large skin would go. I didn't get the alcohol near the plastic screen for fear of damage or fogging. I also turned my unit off to prevent holding any buttons down during the application of the VS.
I started with the strip that goes over the buttons folding only enough of the backing away to only reveal the top portion for the tank and the power button. I lined it up carefully and pressed down, making certain the power button was centered in its cutout. I then continued down the face over the screen & U/D buttons. Lastly I carefully curved the bottom portion. The bottom edge where the vinyl goes over need to be firmly applied, more on that later. Now I wanted to get the big piece on! Again folding back just enough backing to reveal one side, I carefully lined it up and started working my way around. Hmmm, got all the way around it and didn't like the way it lined up, so I carefully pulled it back up and made adjustments. It took a total of 3 tries to get it evenly applied left to right and top to bottom. WOW it totally changes this thing! Looks and now FEELS incredible!

2015-01-29 13.08.45.jpg

2015-01-29 13.35.11.jpg

2015-01-29 13.36.00.jpg

The pics were taken with my cellphone and don't do this thing justice! It really looks nice, in my opinion! I didn't want a print of anything, so I went with a natural wood. A stone look and texture would be my second choice, if they offered one I liked.

Some things I learned applying my skin...

After all is done, and you're sure it is where you want it; get out your trusty blow dryer. Set the temp to high and hold your skinned iPV mini in your hand while heating the vinyl and glue behind it. By holding it in your hand you'll know when it too hot, don't go "dragon breathing fire" hot on it, just as hot as your hands can handle is fine. This helped immensely to get the sharp edges to "lay down" and it helps activate the glue side.

Fit

The skin that goes over the buttons and screen was just a little too wide at the top of the vinyl, just perfect at the lower portion. I cannot blame that on Vapor Skinz as it may be a QC issue in China. The larger wrap around piece may is also slightly too wide in spots, IMHO. After initial installation the edges of it on either side of the screen didn't lay flat over the curve, but a good dose of heat from the blow dryer cured that. Again not sure if this issue is the fault of poor Chinese QC or lies with the VS template.

Grades:

Processing/Shipping Time: D
Packaging: A- (Being really picky, it could have been in a cardboard envelope, but mine arrived unbent as it was marked "Photographs")
Item: A+
Instructions: A
Fitment: A-
Looks: A+
Feel/Texture: A+ (Goodbye "Slippery Silver")
Longevity: ? (Will Update in the future)

Last edited:

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
Looks really good, like real wood. I have a carbon fiber wrap on the way from Jwraps for my mini. Should be here tomorrow.

Nice wrap and nice review.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Yeah, I was torn between this and a carbon fiber wrap, but I see many carbon fiber mods and wrapped mods, so I went with the wood one. The wrap really helps with the prior slippery-ness of this mod.

sclobernocker47

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
Providence, RI
Ill be purchasing a wrap for mine soon.
A little tip for any vinyl application though.

Just spray windex on the surface, slide in place, and let dry. You can use a hair dryed like the OP.
Dont have to worry about perfect placement anymore, and the fogging issue is no more, as windex is perfectly fine for the readout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread