Vaporesso Gemini make it fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I'm trying to get a .15 ohm coil into a Vaporesso Gemini tank to be used with a Kanger Topbox mini. I like temp mode and would like to use nickel wire, I've just changed from 30 gauge to 28 gauge for a little more stability of the coil. The tank is a dual coil and one coil will not supply enough vapor so I'll use 2 coils at .3 ohms. So basically I have twice the coil size in two places. To maximize the space I've decided to make an oblong coil but coils prefer to be circular which allows unwinding and loosens the coil so it can be removed. I've tried a few different methods, maybe it can work. I'm open to suggestions.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
So far it is working, I have a D shaped coil. the flat side against the mounting posts and the curved side towards the cover. A little over .4 ohms so I can remove a few turns. It fits nicely inside the cover. I'll build another one for the other side. I basically use some flat brass stock the right width for the height of the coil, choose the right diameter drill bit for the width of the coil and do the winding. Wiggle the bit and remove it, crush the coil a little to remove the brass stock. Cost, well the tank rolled off the table and into a box of tools, it comes with a spare but I'll replace it next order.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I made a few more D coils, twenty turns of 28 gauge nickel wire gives me .44 ohms in parallel give me .22 ohms the same as the nickel atomizer in there now. It seems to be sturdy enough and fits under the cover easy enough.
Next is the wicking then I'll be able to check the vapor and see if I can get some flavor out of it.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I did the wicking and primed the coils. At first it was great, lots of vape at 340 F, to many adjustments for me, top airflow, bottom air flow, and liquid flow. No leaks which had been a problem when playing with it. Slowly the amount of vapor went down and I couldn't get it back to where it was when first trying it. I opened it up and removed some of the wicking at the base and tried it again. At 320 F I've got a moderate amount of vape, must be a slow leak because I've just go liquid on my hand. 350 F seems okay. Flavor is different from the Kanger tank, I'm using tobacco flavor which I find hard to judge.
Over all, a bit of a battery hog, the tank gets warm, I'm not sure how much liquid it uses yet. 380 F is not bad at all, it would be nice if the leak stopped.

Reactions: bsidb

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
It may be under wicked? causing the leak, good luck , I Have a Gemini Mega I put 4 wrap 28ga ss wrapped with 36ga nichrome claptons. Tucked, poked, the rayon into the flow channels till they just fill the bottom cavity, very lightly below the ring, the only way I'm able to fill with out leaks is to unscrew base and dropper fill into flow hole in chimney, dry hands they bee:vapor:

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I just removed a bit of cotton from under the ring which seemed to make it give more vapor. I'm still using cotton and I've noticed it can get stuck in the liquid control slot. I have some stainless steel mesh coming in, not sure what would work best there but rayon sounds good. I haven't heard of a mixture of stainless steel and nichrome before
interesting because I like the temp mode. Sometime in the future I may try that. If you get a chance the Wisemec notch coil, I had a problem getting it to fit in but it I thought it was pretty good.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I'm using the Vaporesso and I'm pretty sure the leak is caused when I screw on the cap, I've read a lot about this,
additional pressure causes liquid to leak out. Bottom filling is the recommended solution, not sure if this can be done.
I had tried a prebuilt Clapton but had to use it in the watts mode, for me it had to long of a warm up time which I didn't like. I'll probably try a nichrome version of the Clapton sometime in the future, the lowest my source sells is 30 gauge, I don't believe I've seen a 36 awg.
The notch coil was nice, I wish they had a nichrome version, I've got a lot of button pushing to get to the stainless steel setting but it did work in temp mode if I remember correctly.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
The Vaporesso will not let you bottom fill it, I did see a vid of another RBA where the builder turned the tank upside down to avoid it leaking out the bottom, have to give it a try. For my next trick I think I'll try a Clapton coil, since I like temp mode I'd like a nickel wire to the correct ohms. I'm looking at the thinner nickel wire gauges to be twisted together, and I don't want it to get to large
In the mean time I've ordered another E leaf melo 2 tank since it works so well with a nickel atomizer, it delivers a heck of a lot of flavor the tangerine liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread