Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
So grateful for this forum! New to attempting vape loose leaf tobacco. I ordered a starter white rhino with 2 L.L. cartridges and have looked at Firefly2 & V2 Pro.
Any suggestions for tobacco? I am considering an Amer Spirit. Apparently it needs to be ground? I do not know what consistency.
Smoker over 50 years, arthritic fingers have caused frustration with vape pens like egos. Too much maintenance. I have a kanger tech, tried cuboid mini. The liquid vapes aren't converting me. Some digital disposable e-cigs are pretty good like Lex12 but still not 100%
I look forward to your replies and would love your support in this new venture I am undertaking! Thank you

Never tired to vape tobacco, but...have you considered something like the Juul? I think it might work for someone such as yourself.

Reactions: MMW

GivingUp

Apr 15, 2016
So grateful for this forum! New to attempting vape loose leaf tobacco. I ordered a starter white rhino with 2 L.L. cartridges and have looked at Firefly2 & V2 Pro.
Any suggestions for tobacco? I am considering an Amer Spirit. Apparently it needs to be ground? I do not know what consistency.
Smoker over 50 years, arthritic fingers have caused frustration with vape pens like egos. Too much maintenance. I have a kanger tech, tried cuboid mini. The liquid vapes aren't converting me. Some digital disposable e-cigs are pretty good like Lex12 but still not 100%
I look forward to your replies and would love your support in this new venture I am undertaking! Thank you

I use e-liquid added to my tobacco but this would be a nightmare for you as it's fiddly and requires regular cleaning. But you don't need to do this. (Interestingly, I just vaped without liquid as a test for you and it seems it takes a bit longer to heat up - more puffs before vapour - but I am getting decent vapour today. This may be due to residual VG in the device so I'll clean it and get back to you on that. I'd also prefer not to have to add e-liquid myself for convenience). Firefly2 looks to be a great vape from what I hear (and it has a replaceable battery, something my Crafty does not, this is great and will prolong the working life of the device). You'll need to vape at around 170-175 degrees C if it allows. Get a portable USB battery pack too if you can so you can last the day. 24,000mAh ones can be bought quite cheap. I have also mentioned the Philip Morris iQOS previously. This is very convenient and, if it becomes available locally to you, might be suitable, if a little expensive long term.

As for tobacco, I have used American Spirit and it was fine. No need to grind, just make sure it is dry. My favourite is a UK blended virginia tobacco with a little added sugar but at the moment, I use a Spanish equivalent to American Spirit which is also additive free.

I'll clean my vape and get back you on whether e-liquid is actually required before you dive into a purchase - my impatience waiting for it to heat up may have meant I started using e-liquid unnecessarily!

Wombats1

Jun 14, 2016
Yes I actually started vaping this way, using rolling tobacco. I started with a flowermate, this worked but the battery life was a problem I then used the da-buhdda.

It got me off combustion, however tobacco is very expensive here ($50+ aus for 50g) and after research into why e-cigs had me putting my lungs on the floor and jumping on them (read really bad coughing) I tried again with high VG juice, problem solved.

Though the tobacco vaping did work it does gunge up my dry herb vaporizer. Not combustion products but possibly "NET" Also if I was'nt careful I could induce combustion which would leave me gagging.
I would recommend a machine that accurately controls temp. (Da-buhdda does not, Flowermate yes.)

I have fully converted to mods now, but this is where I started it does work.

GivingUp

Apr 15, 2016
While here, I thought I'd update the thread on my experience with WTA liquid. It definitely seems better than normal e-liquid. I don't feel like puffing on the thing anywhere near as much so I'm confident the additional alkaloids are worthwhile. Previously, it was like I was puffing to get something that wasn't there. The Tobacco Road flavour I chose smells weird in the bottle but was delicious to vape. Currently, I use that where tobacco vaping would be a pain, e.g. when on a night out.

Worthwhile, if you can get it. Import costs are too much for regular use here in the UK.

Reactions: Piruz

GivingUp

Apr 15, 2016
Though the tobacco vaping did work it does gunge up my dry herb vaporizer. Not combustion products but possibly "NET" Also if I was'nt careful I could induce combustion which would leave me gagging.
I would recommend a machine that accurately controls temp. (Da-buhdda does not, Flowermate yes.)

Yes, temp control a must. I never vape tobacco above 175 degrees C. I hope one day I can leave tobacco behind like you though. WTA is pretty good. No WTA over here so I'm keeping my supply for special occasions!

I'd also add that if the tobacco you used had added PG/VG, this may have been what was gunking up the vape. The additive free tobacco does not gunk anything up as far as I can tell. The chamber has darkened slightly but the gauze is clear.

Last edited:

Wombats1

Jun 14, 2016
Yes, temp control a must. I never vape tobacco above 175 degrees C. I hope one day I can leave tobacco behind like you though. WTA is pretty good. No WTA over here so I'm keeping my supply for special occasions!

I'd also add that if the tobacco you used had added PG/VG, this may have been what was gunking up the vape. The additive free tobacco does not gunk anything up as far as I can tell. The chamber has darkened slightly but the gauze is clear.

Indeed, the tobacco I could access has pg (humectant ) added, most likely was the problem not able to get tobacco that didnt:(

Wombats1

Jun 14, 2016

Sorry im in aus, our tobacco is so bizarrely named now since plain packaging. I used roll your own tobacco, just for info, choice, was the one I preffered here, not ones with fancy curing eg: Bank, port royal.
It was also cost prohibitive with a 50g pouch coming in at around 48- 55 dollar (au) depending where I got it. Sorry I could not be more helpful. :)

frogdocument

Aug 30, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Linking to drug sites is not permitted here. Nor is discussing it.

frogdocument

Aug 30, 2016
Hi guys,
thanks for opening this topic very needed! Recently I am using the crafty vaporizer, it is practical to use and has great features like connecting it with smartphone. I really am enjoying vaping with it and it has become one of my favorite vaporizers since I left the PAX. At the beginning I was searching about information and advantages of using it and found really useful information at the weedsumo review about crafty. I think that you will enjoy also reading it at Crafty Vaporizer Review - 5 Awesome Reasons Why To Buy It

Last edited:

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
I think this is a good question because the reason I prefer it is unknown at this stage. Without analysis of what is actually in the vapour, it's difficult to know why the particular combination of natural chemicals is so satisfying. WTA definitely sounds like it's closer to actual tobacco, but I'd need to compare them to give my opinion. I do think that once you start entering the realm of that kind of extraction/purification it's an additional process being carried out by unknown persons (i.e. an additional point where contamination could take place) and may not even include the ingredient/s I find so satisfying. I will try it though and feed back.

All I do know is it 'feels' like smoke in the lungs. It bites, like smoke does, but without stinging the throat on the way down. Some less reputable e-liquids I've tried have too much throat hit - much more than actual smoking in fact. It is almost like my body recognises that it's tobacco (I've smoked for nearly 30 years, since my pre-teens).

If anyone reading this thread has resources to actually examine tobacco vapour (!), that would be great to discuss! There are lots of existing discussions around smoking tobacco vs e-cigs, but not comparing tobacco vapour to e-cig vapour.

I think part of the issue is you just have not decided you want to quit smoking. You want to reduce the harm of the actual smoke, but don't want to accept the change involved. The throat hit is easy, adjust the PG in your vape juice. If 50/50 is to harsh, try 40/60, 45/55, etc.
Various nicotine levels also factor into the "feeling" of smoking. More nicotine gives more of the smoking sensation. Personally, I don't care for it, it makes my throat a bit sore after vaping for awhile. I do mostly use drip atomizers though. The main factor, is the decision to get off tobacco, not find new ways of inhaling it. Myself, i only used tobacco flavored juice the first 2 weeks, to reduce the shock of coming off cigarettes as much as possible. Now I avoid all tobacco flavors. If you break free completely, you will be much less likely to ever start smoking again.

The fact is, vaping is not smoking, so therefor will never be exactly like smoking. Different factors can be made similar, such as throat hit and nicotine levels, but it still isn't smoking.

I managed to find this http://decadespsychedelicdaze.com/why-tobacco-vaporizer-is-a-better-alternative-to-smoking/
and from what I read there, vaping tobacco is about the same as steeping it into e-juice and vaping that. You still get some of the crud that is in tobacco smoke, but in a greatly reduced amount.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
Hmmm . . . I am interested, but I don't know about keeping tobacco on hand. Kinda tricky. Thanks for the write-up.
Yeah, I think that would be putting temptation in my way. Kind of like having the devil sitting on your shoulder, whispering in your ear. Even after 5 months, there are times I want a cigarette, but it passes quickly. But I know if i had tobacco in the house, I would be thinking about it all the time.

Reactions: Mr.Mann

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
You still get some of the crud that is in tobacco smoke, but in a greatly reduced amount.

No. You don't.

Vaporizing loose leaf tobacco is considered harm reduction. As there is no combustion, much of what you'd inhale with a cigarette is not present.

Wombats1

Jun 14, 2016
Have you done it ?( dry vaped tobacco)
No combustion takes place (fact)
From my experience I would say it is at least as safe as using ejuice in my tvf4 or wotofo freakshowv2.
It does not even taste like a tobacco flavour in fact it changes your smell taste so I could not stand the smell or taste of combustion. I Could not go near ry4 or virginia flavours when I switched. As for having tobacco around I couldnt combust it was just so horrible. I was amazed how easy it was to get of my tobacco addiction this way. Seems a very closed minded way to comment. But each to his own dont knock it it works. Just not for you and thats ok

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I think part of the issue is you just have not decided you want to quit smoking. You want to reduce the harm of the actual smoke, but don't want to accept the change involved. The throat hit is easy, adjust the PG in your vape juice. If 50/50 is to harsh, try 40/60, 45/55, etc.
Various nicotine levels also factor into the "feeling" of smoking. More nicotine gives more of the smoking sensation. Personally, I don't care for it, it makes my throat a bit sore after vaping for awhile. I do mostly use drip atomizers though. The main factor, is the decision to get off tobacco, not find new ways of inhaling it. Myself, i only used tobacco flavored juice the first 2 weeks, to reduce the shock of coming off cigarettes as much as possible. Now I avoid all tobacco flavors. If you break free completely, you will be much less likely to ever start smoking again.

The fact is, vaping is not smoking, so therefor will never be exactly like smoking. Different factors can be made similar, such as throat hit and nicotine levels, but it still isn't smoking.

I managed to find this http://decadespsychedelicdaze.com/why-tobacco-vaporizer-is-a-better-alternative-to-smoking/
and from what I read there, vaping tobacco is about the same as steeping it into e-juice and vaping that. You still get some of the crud that is in tobacco smoke, but in a greatly reduced amount.

That blog has zero sources to back anything said.

Define: "crud" .

Reactions: Wombats1

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
That blog has zero sources to back anything said.

Define: "crud" .
tar, formaldehyde, diacetyl, 400 other carcenogenics, and 4000 other various chemicals. You know. CRUD.

And I would think, common sense would be backing enough. You are not burning the tobacco, yet tobacco dust ignites at a far lower temperature than shredded or ground tobacco, hence "there is almost no production of smoke"
It sounds quite reasonable to me, but if you want the EXACT amounts, feel free to google them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread