1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Vapor's effect on the lungs

Discussion in 'Health, Safety and Vaping' started by xKrazYx, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. xKrazYx

xKrazYx Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Does anyone know if vapor damages the lungs like smoke does? I know it's supposed to be safer than smoke, but does it have any effect on lung capacity and the like?

2. surbitonPete

surbitonPete Ultra Member ECF Veteran

It could be just my imagination but I actually physically feel as if vaping is somehow doing my lungs some good.

Without doubt my cycling ability to get up the hills is telling me that it is.

3. Caesarea

Caesarea Vaping Master ECF Veteran

My doc said any little brown flecks in the phlegm that still gets coughed up a litle is a sign of the cell regeneration going on. Interesting.

:)

4. cosican

cosican Super Member ECF Veteran

Hi, all I know is I can breathe
    I am a perfect example of the benefits of vaping
    Smoking 3 plus pks a day forever, has allowed to get the gift of COPD
    Basically it is the start of major league lung damage and the loss of lung capacity. If I did not stop analogs, I WOULD HAVE DEVELOPED, and I still might, get EMPHYSEMA as many smokers do and can
    Okay, enough of that!!
    I have been vasping for 5/6 plus months and not one analog
    Vaping and MY lungs have never been better, I do not sound like I am about to fall over, When I used to lie down, you could hear the sounds of Cancer rambling around in there
    My docs say, I am making major league headway, to atleast getting my oxygen intake at somewhat of a normal scale, Lower part of the scale, but I am back on the scale
    I am not taking my ADVAIR everyday any longer,
    so all I can say, it has been a life saver to ME

5. Caesarea

Yes, my doc suggested I gradually stop all my asthma medication.

My peak flow measurements have already improved (up to 370 from 220 points - UK Airmed scale).

BP slightly up, I need to get back to the gym and also stop eating bacon sandwiches!!

It'll be interesting to see how things improve - after all it's just been a month.

:)

6. Frankie

Frankie Super Member ECF Veteran

If you do a search of this Forum, you will find a post about (or from, I do not remember) a doctor testing the e-stuff. He claims PG in the vapour actually helps ex-smokers clean their lungs of the tar accumulated by years of inhaling real smoke.

7. LuckySevens4U

LuckySevens4U Ultra Member ECF Veteran

All I can tell you is CONGRATULATIONS and good job. Keep up the great work. That is so awesome to hear!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Nick O'Teen

Nick O'Teen Super Member ECF Veteran

I work on the principle that if PG was all that bad for you, they wouldn't put it in mayonnaise and ice cream. Of course, I haven't tried vaping mayonnaise or ice cream yet (hmm, there's a thought :))

I'm sure it would be healthier not to inhale lots of glycerols (whether PG or VG,) or anything else that isn't a natural component of fresh air. But I'm even surer it's less damaging than smoke - I noticed the difference in just a few days (I can actually smell things now, for the first time in a long time.)
    I don't really care about the health benefits myself, but I do believe they're there.

9. cosican

cosican Super Member ECF Veteran

If you think for ONE SECOND. THAT I will give up BACON, that just will not happen. I stopped smoking, I stopped doing drugs and alcohol, I stopped eating a half gallon of Breyers Mint Chip Ice Cream every night, ( I am down to a pint) I started exercising on a daily basis and walking everyday.
    I am doing everything right, I am even being NICE to my wife,
    BUT I AINT GIVING UP BACON, I will stop watching stuff w/ Kevin Bacon,
    but, I know when to draw the line

10. leaford

leaford Supplier Services Provider ECF Veteran

11. Caesarea

Cosican wrote: <<If you think for ONE SECOND. THAT I will give up BACON, that just will not happen. I stopped smoking, I stopped doing drugs and alcohol, I stopped eating a half gallon of Breyers Mint Chip Ice Cream every night, ( I am down to a pint) I started exercising on a daily basis and walking everyday.
    I am doing everything right, I am even being NICE to my wife,
    BUT I AINT GIVING UP BACON, I will stop watching stuff w/ Kevin Bacon, but, I know when to draw the line >>

OKOKOK :)

Even my doc said I should still have bacon now and then for a treat - so I guess that counts as medical advice, huh?

:D

12. wyzardd

wyzardd Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Bacon flavor... Someone has to have tried bacon flavored juice, where is it? I must have it now!

13. Caesarea

Maybe one day we'll be able to buy entire Vapers' Banquets, from hors d'oeuvres all the way to dessert, coffee and liqueurs!!!

:wub:

14. Northern Bob

Northern Bob Senior Member ECF Veteran

Heh, heh reminds me of the joke about the guy who asked his doctor, "If I give up smoking, drinking and sex will I live longer?"
    "No" said the doc, "it will just seem much longer".

NB

15. Demiurge

Demiurge Full Member

I can tell you this without one doubt;

I have been off analogs now for about 6 days and today I ran for the first time in about 3 weeks. Before that, I had stopped running regularly because I became discouraged by seeing the effects of 16 years of smoking a pack a day (past 3 years = 1.5+ packs a day) finally take their toll. I was amazed, awestruck even at what 6 days of no analogs did.

I'll give a bit of history:

Over the past year, I've watched my 2 minute run time slowly creep into the 18 minute mark, then the 20 minute mark.. finally, at about the 6 month mark I hit a wall. 2 Miles in 23 minutes. No amount of training seemed to fix it. I was sure that I had some sort of lung disease or heart problem. I even went to the doctor. I had CT Scans of my lungs, a Pulmanary(sp?) Functions Test, and was tested for athsma. All negetive. The doctor did find a portion of my lower right lung had "closed off" but said it shouldn't really be causing the degree of problems I was having.

In my 8 years of running, this was the fastest decline in physical performance I'd ever seen.

Back to today:

While I'm positive that not smoking has contributed to my increased lung capacity, I have my sneaking suspiscions that vaping has somehow aided my lung recovery process. I ran about 2.5 miles today, at a faster pace than I had at the start of my decline: 19 minutes for 2.5 miles. That's dramatic.

To the OP:
    I'm sure YMMV but for me, a 33 y/o male and a 16 year smoker: Vaping has seriously changed the quality of my life in only 6 days!

(Ugh.. I kinda felt like Jay Kordich just now)

16. vapor2009

vapor2009 Full Member

From my experience, the vapor is 100 times better than smoke, but still has a negative effect on the lungs. Try not vaping (or smoking of course) for a week and you will see what I mean. Its strange, after a few months of not smoking analogs, during that time I was coughing up dark mucus. That stopped, but now after quitting vaping, I am coughing up white mucus. Strange, but my lungs have never felt so dilated since I was a child.

17. Idahojo

Idahojo Ultra Member ECF Veteran

This is so encouraging. I smoked for 36 years. I started vaping a month ago or so and have been analog free as of 3 weeks today. I've been noticing a slight improvement but was afraid I'd already done too much damage. All these stories have helped me.I feel better all ready. Thanks guys!

18. That Guy

That Guy Full Member

ECigs are a gift from god.

19. Demiurge

Demiurge Full Member

Like the Transformers? :lol:

20. underdog

underdog Full Member

Apparently, my account is waiting activation, so I am posting my question here instead of starting a new thread.

I have always been under the impression that part of the carcinogenic properties of smoking lies in the healing process, and that when people quit smoking their chances of cancer increase due to the heightened level of healing, before lowering again (after about six months). Basically, while quitting smoking is good, it is also a particularly dangerous point as well. In light of that, I am trying to load up on certain anti-cancer foods during the transition to e-smoking.

The primary two foods I'm loading up on are small berries (I mix with cottage cheese or yogurt), and raw broccoli (shown to offer significant protection against lung cancer specifically). I am also taking a good multi-vitamin. The final thing is vitamin D (every doctor in my family, and every doctor that I know through my family, swears on D3's positive effects, and advocates taking at least 2000 IUs daily).

What other foods or supplements have been shown to offer protection to cancer in general, and lung cancer specifically? And what foods or supplements aid the healing process?

: revolution
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.