Status
Not open for further replies.

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
I use predominantly 30g nickel un tempered in everything. Once you get used to it the coils are fine. I wrap 3mm spaced coils and have no issues cleaning brushing and re wicking them. Some of my coils are 3 months old and still perform like a champ.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Is the vs rdna 40 tuned to rms or mean? And does it use pwm or dc-dc? I'm just learning what these things mean, and in doing so, I'm changing my mind about most of the devices I was thinking about purchasing. I can't seem to find this info about the vapor sharks though for some reason.
It uses the DNA40 chip, one of the best (if not the best) temperature protection chip on the market now. It uses RMS, DC - DC and is extremely accurate. The reason you don't find too much info is because the DNA40 (and DNA30) pretty much set the standard of what chips should do and how.

If you want something compact and don't mind a fixed battery, the Vaporshark DNA40 is a great choice too. I have both rDNA40 and DNA40. Zip charging is about 1.8a and can charge the DNA40 from low battery to full in just over an hour. The rDNA40 can too but adds the flexibility of changing batteries under a magnetic door (no tools!).

Good luck!

Fiatrix

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
It uses the DNA40 chip, one of the best (if not the best) temperature protection chip on the market now. It uses RMS, DC - DC and is extremely accurate. The reason you don't find too much info is because the DNA40 (and DNA30) pretty much set the standard of what chips should do and how.

If you want something compact and don't mind a fixed battery, the Vaporshark DNA40 is a great choice too. I have both rDNA40 and DNA40. Zip charging is about 1.8a and can charge the DNA40 from low battery to full in just over an hour. The rDNA40 can too but adds the flexibility of changing batteries under a magnetic door (no tools!).

Good luck!
Thanks! That is super helpful. :) The only unfortunate thing is that I probably won't have enough money by the time they go on sale for shark week (assuming they do) to purchase one... May have to wait another month, since I talked myself out of the kanger subox kit. :/

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Thanks! That is super helpful. :) The only unfortunate thing is that I probably won't have enough money by the time they go on sale for shark week (assuming they do) to purchase one... May have to wait another month, since I talked myself out of the kanger subox kit. :/
If you get verified, you can check the classifieds for some deals. VS also has the DNA30 (1300mah fixed lipo) for $45. I have one of those too :D. It doesn't buck or step down in power so you'll be vaping at 4.2v. Not really an issue if you vape 1.8Ω or lower (0.5Ω min).

The subox looks like a nice kit. What didn't you like about it?

Fiatrix

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
If you get verified, you can check the classifieds for some deals. VS also has the DNA30 (1300mah fixed lipo) for $45. I have one of those too :D. It doesn't buck or step down in power so you'll be vaping at 4.2v. Not really an issue if you vape 1.8Ω or lower (0.5Ω min).

The subox looks like a nice kit. What didn't you like about it?
Actually, it's the lack of step-down and being tuned to mean that drew me away from the Subox, among a few other details. It doesn't seem like a device I can grow with, and I can't afford to buy a second mod anytime soon, so I want the first one to satisfy me for a long time. If I get a VS, it will definitely be the rdna. I want replaceable batteries, and the option of temp control, when I decide to venture into it. I will definitely have to check classifieds. I'd prefer new, obviously, but with the 200 coming out soon, there are bound to be fairly new 40s out there.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Actually, it's the lack of step-down and being tuned to mean that drew me away from the Subox, among a few other details. It doesn't seem like a device I can grow with, and I can't afford to buy a second mod anytime soon, so I want the first one to satisfy me for a long time. If I get a VS, it will definitely be the rdna. I want replaceable batteries, and the option of temp control, when I decide to venture into it. I will definitely have to check classifieds. I'd prefer new, obviously, but with the 200 coming out soon, there are bound to be fairly new 40s out there.
Gotcha. There's not a lot of mods that step down. Innokin's MVP3 might be a cheaper option but it's a big brick and fixed battery :lol:. I have 7 TP mods and my 8 month old rDNA40 is still my favorite and I use it every day.

Azarias

May 25, 2015
Illinois
That's how it starts except the first one isn't free :lol:
Don't tell me (and especially not my wife^^)

Right know I'm pretty interested in the Hana v4 or the One. They are just 35miles away from here so I could just drive by the next time I have a car and see them before I buy them.
And shapeways has some pretty nice DNA40 cases.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Don't tell me (and especially not my wife^^)

Right know I'm pretty interested in the Hana v4 or the One. They are just 35miles away from here so I could just drive by the next time I have a car and see them before I buy them.
And shapeways has some pretty nice DNA40 cases.
Skip the V4 and One. I have the V4 and it's not that impressive. Someone reviewed the One and it looks way too cheap and flimsy and access to the battery is really bad.

I was actually thinking about thinning the herd since I have 2 DNA200 boards coming and will definitely be buying the VS DNA200. The Hana V4 and a home built DNA40 in a cloupor box were two I could let go of and not regret. Maybe the home built one.

Azarias

May 25, 2015
Illinois
Skip the V4 and One. I have the V4 and it's not that impressive. Someone reviewed the One and it looks way too cheap and flimsy and access to the battery is really bad.

I was actually thinking about thinning the herd since I have 2 DNA200 boards coming and will definitely be buying the VS DNA200. The Hana V4 and a home built DNA40 in a cloupor box were two I could let go of and not regret. Maybe the home built one.
The review was from Mike Vapes posted by me ;)

If you want to get rid of one just write me a PM and we will talk on my next payday :D

Reactions: KTMRider

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Question: Is the rdna 40 accurate enough to rely on as my way of cheking the resistance of my coils instead of using an ohm meter or multimeter? Or is it pretty necessary to buy that separate device?

The meter in the DNA40 chip is most likely more accurate than your average ohmreader since high accuracy resistance reading is required for temperature control to work.
All in all the rDNA is a very fine device that gives a splendid vape with a smooth flat signal at any powerlevel.

My only beef with the device is that the finish is not at all durable. You may want to purchase one of their shark skins if you do end up getting one. Personally I ended up getting my shark sandblasted and certakote painted to remedy the terrible cosmetics.

Reactions: KTMRider

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
The meter in the DNA40 chip is most likely more accurate than your average ohmreader since high accuracy resistance reading is required for temperature control to work.
All in all the rDNA is a very fine device that gives a splendid vape with a smooth flat signal at any powerlevel.

My only beef with the device is that the finish is not at all durable. You may want to purchase one of their shark skins if you do end up getting one. Personally I ended up getting my shark sandblasted and certakote painted to remedy the terrible cosmetics.
How's the cerakote holding up? I use a sharkskin 95% of the time and the finish on mine is holding up fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread