Vapouriz fire hazard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessyhall79

Aug 16, 2013
Cardiff
Anyone using the brand vapouriz need to be aware that their ecig Gemini and their tank version fit the same charger, and if you use the wrong one as they fit perfectly!!!! Then it will explode and cause a fire, I was lucky as a family member was about to leave my house before smelling burning, if they did I would no longer have a house or dog. Kids aged 3 and 9 were also there, thank god nothing happened on this occasion. I want nothing from the company as he talked to me like I was out to get something from them, I only want it to be made more aware or possibly have different fitting connections for different cigarettes. As it was the same brand I thought it would be ok as it was not made aware to me in the shop but is on the website but this is not good enough for the safety of our families. I attached pics of my damage that happened today at 8:30am.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 83

BillyRayBob

Jun 18, 2013
Boston, MA, USA
Yikes, scary! Glad that things didn't go worse!

Seems like they have a facebook page, seeing as they're buying "likes" from people using their reward points. Some reward!... if you have a facebook account, might be an idea to put these pictures there too.

Is there a Better Business Bureau in England, or some entity that handles Consumer Protection?

If all he's worried about is you "wanting something from him," he's not the type of guy who's going to lift a finger to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Good luck, and best.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
@ HDVaper - another firefighter, eh? I was a wildland firefighter and never heard the end of cigarette cracks. At least I had 500 gal. of water and 15 of foam every time I went out in the woods. :D

I'd hate to have to explain how my ecig burnt down my house and then the forest...

Thanks and condolences left for the OP in the original thread but nonetheless, thank you again Jessyhall77 for the warning and stoked it all worked out okay.

jp_cfc09

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
lost
scum, only word for it. I tryed to email them a complaint through there site and only got your request cant be sent every time I tryed. I would go to trading standards mate and they will get you at least the damage fixed, after a while but still better then nothing. its common sense to have different connections or big yellow signs on the chargers to warn if theres a fire hazard.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Anyone using the brand vapouriz need to be aware that their ecig Gemini and their tank version fit the same charger, and if you use the wrong one as they fit perfectly!!!! Then it will explode and cause a fire, I was lucky as a family member was about to leave my house before smelling burning, if they did I would no longer have a house or dog. Kids aged 3 and 9 were also there, thank god nothing happened on this occasion. I want nothing from the company as he talked to me like I was out to get something from them, I only want it to be made more aware or possibly have different fitting connections for different cigarettes. As it was the same brand I thought it would be ok as it was not made aware to me in the shop but is on the website but this is not good enough for the safety of our families. I attached pics of my damage that happened today at 8:30am.

Actually, it's not just them.

It's the one major flaw in the eGo world that's bothered me for a while. The most commonly seen eGo charger is 510 threaded. There's nothing physically stopping you from attaching a standard "stick" type 510 battery and getting the results you just got.

The chargers for eGo batteries run at about three times the power as the 510 chargers. You can (slowly) charge an eGo battery on a 510 charger but you cannot go the other way round. As you just discovered in the least pleasant way possible.

It would be far better if the manufacturer (which is almost certainly a Chinese company such as Joyetech) would alter the eGo charger to fit only eGo batteries. I have my old 510 charger. It's identical in form to my eGo charger. I only use eGo batteries now so I don't use the old 510 charger but did pull it out to compare. The only difference is the power rating in tiny, tiny type.

I have no comment on whether Vapouriz should be more clear on this matter for the sake of their customers. My point is it's not a Vapouriz issue per se. It's a general problem out there that folks who may have a mix of 510 and eGo batteries and chargers must pay attention to. 510 batteries very much can catch fire in an eGo charger. Unfortunately, they'll screw right into one without a hitch and you'll know you used the "wrong one" when, well, that happens...

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Does anyone know if these are being sold in the US? I have a couple of friends who are using something that sure looks like those that they bought at a truck stop. I know several people buying from there (it's the closest place to get e-cigs and supplies).

Actually, yeah. In fact, they're the dominant "form" out there. It's a design flaw. The most common eGo battery charger is 510 threaded. 510 batteries will fit. They'll also catch fire.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Actually, it's not just them.

It's the one major flaw in the eGo world that's bothered me for a while. The most commonly seen eGo charger is 510 threaded. There's nothing physically stopping you from attaching a standard "stick" type 510 battery and getting the results you just got.

The chargers for eGo batteries run at about three times the power as the 510 chargers. You can (slowly) charge an eGo battery on a 510 charger but you cannot go the other way round. As you just discovered in the least pleasant way possible.

It would be far better if the manufacturer (which is almost certainly a Chinese company such as Joyetech) would alter the eGo charger to fit only eGo batteries. I have my old 510 charger. It's identical in form to my eGo charger. I only use eGo batteries now so I don't use the old 510 charger but did pull it out to compare. The only difference is the power rating in tiny, tiny type.

I have no comment on whether Vapouriz should be more clear on this matter for the sake of their customers. My point is it's not a Vapouriz issue per se. It's a general problem out there that folks who may have a mix of 510 and eGo batteries and chargers must pay attention to. 510 batteries very much can catch fire in an eGo charger. Unfortunately, they'll screw right into one without a hitch and you'll know you used the "wrong one" when, well, that happens...
Yup...150ma at 4.2vdc, eGo charger 420mA at 4.2vdc...

It's like quick charging a NiCD or NiMH...batteries get hot..go into thermal runaway..charge faster, get hotter more thermal runaway endless cycle until you get a smoking pile of melted burned ash like the pics from the OP.

You cant fast charge or fast discharge Li-Ion without HIGHLY raising the chance of a cookoff...this is why "sub ohm" coils (which act like a short) are so dangerous to Li Ion!

Lithium-ion Safety Concerns – Battery University

You cannot "quick charge" a Li Ion...it might work..maybe...until that one time

Preventing Laptop Fires and

If you have "sub par" Li Ion batteries...the chance of it happening are alot greater than well built batteries..but well built batteries due to Li Ion properties can STILL go into thermal meltdown

Ever wonder why the "short protection" stuff is always mentioned with Li Ion stuff and not on NiCD or NiMH...its the chemical characteristics of the charging medium

Don't fear them..just don't expect to treat them like NiCD or NiMH and not have them explode/burn/melt down on you

Last edited:

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com

It's like quick charging a NiCD or NiMH...batteries get hot..go into thermal runaway..charge faster, get hotter more thermal runaway endless cycle until you get a smoking pile of melted burned ash like the pics from the OP.

You cant fast charge or fast discharge Li-Ion without HIGHLY raising the chance of a cookoff...this is why "sub ohm" coils (which act like a short) are so dangerous to Li Ion!

Lithium-ion Safety Concerns – Battery University

You cannot "quick charge" a Li Ion...it might work..maybe...until that one time

Preventing Laptop Fires and

If you have "sub par" Li Ion batteries...the chance of it happening are alot greater than well built batteries..but well built batteries due to Li Ion properties can STILL go into thermal meltdown

Ever wonder why the "short protection" stuff is always mentioned with Li Ion stuff and not on NiCD or NiMH...its the chemical characteristics of the charging medium

Don't fear them..just don't expect to treat them like NiCD or NiMH and not have them explode/burn/melt down on you

Ayup.

Also why I avoid the whole "sub ohm" thing. I keep wanting to ask, "Wait... aren't you talking doing a 'dead short' on purpose? Can you wait while I run out the door?" :)

Unfortunately...

And they're physically identical. Which has always bothered me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread