Variable Volt/watt...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
Since you already have a starter kit coming, the cheapest way to experience vv/vw is to take a look at the MVP2 at 101Vapes.com for $39.99. No need to buy a different charger or batteries, and the toppers you are getting with your starter kit will probably work with it. The other option is to go to DiscountVapers.com and look at their 1300mah Vision Spinners. I think one of those goes for around $16, but it has only vv.

I started vaping using 2 of the 1300mah vision spinners with 2 evods and I quit smoking after 45 years of 2 packs a day. I recently got the MVP2 and love it. I have been vaping a little over 4 months. It makes a big difference in how your juices taste. Tobaccos are usually at a higher temp and desserts are usually at a lower temp. You can dial the heat up and down until the taste is perfect for you.

Welcome to ECF. Do some searches and reading. The New Members forum has lots of experienced vapers that come and post to help explain what vaping is and how it works. Just reading a bunch of those posts will help you learn a lot real quick.

It's a 2 pk a day habit, I'm trying to get away from. I do see me getting a VV PV soon though, just cause.:)

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
Not really. You just keep it simple: Always start a new liquid, new carto or clearo - new anything - at the lowest available voltage and increase the voltage until you find the best combination of flavor and vapor. That's all there is to it.

Mines not adjustable, that's not what I bought. Is there a way to adjust a non VV PV?

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
VV are the only way to go, however you can only use them to a certain extent with some tanks. I have all Kanger products (evods and protank minis) and I have never been able to crank it up beyond 4.1 without it burning.

Does anyone know of a sale on ego-c twists? Can't find it cheaper than $24 anywhere.

That's the thing. I was reading the forum on juices and someone was talking about how much they like a certain flavor at 5.5 or whatever and that's what made me curious and wondered if I should get one. I think I need to just wait, get my starter and learn how to use the dang thing before I worry about buying more stuff. Ya think?

Thank you.

Deb - NCPatches

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
LOL yes, I understand the concept, just wondering if need one and how soon.:D

Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood your original question and should have made a better edit. As someone said, although you aren't going to be able to adjust the output of your kit battery, you can adjust the final heat somewhat. You can buy toppers or if your topper is a Kanger you can buy extra coils. Coils rated at 1.8 ohms will give you a hotter temperature and 2.4 will give you a cooler temp. Good luck and enjoy.

Smokachino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Texas, USA
OMG and I do love new toys!

Ha ha . . . I was kidding (kind of) ;) Seriously, I have all sorts of VV/VW devices, but my standard Evod battery and Evod clearo combo is still one of my favorites. It's fun to experiment with different things, but the simple things work just fine, too.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
That's the thing. I was reading the forum on juices and someone was talking about how much they like a certain flavor at 5.5 or whatever and that's what made me curious and wondered if I should get one. I think I need to just wait, get my starter and learn how to use the dang thing before I worry about buying more stuff. Ya think?

Thank you.

Deb - NCPatches

You'll still get good use out of the VV even if you can't crank it up. Mine only goes to 4.8. Can't even imagine going to 5.5 with my gear. I think the more expensive your tank is, the more you can do with it. I'm pretty sure if you crank an evod up to 5.5 you're going to get a mouthful of yuck no matter what ohm your head is. I still get good range from 3.2 to about 4.1. Some juices are better on low, some on high. Having the low option also helps when you just filled the tank and don't want to wait until the wick gets saturated. You can set it on low and it won't burn, then crank it up notch by notch as the wick gets saturated. I'm not familiar with the starter kit you're getting so I don't know if it's the same like mine. All the Kanger products I have use the same exact heads.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Is there directions somewhere that tells how to make any adjustments when you don't have a VV device? Thank you!

Welcome ncpatches.

This is taken from one of my first vendor sites that helped me in explaining the differences in Ohms for cartomizers on fixed 3.7 volt batteries:

LR (2.0 Ohm) - These produce a hotter vaper and more of it, these can also change the flavour quite a bit (due to the heat), probably more suited to tobacco flavours. Throat hit is also increased. These cartomizers are Low Resistance, and only designed for use with batteries ≥ 400Mah.

2.7-3.0 Ohm - A cooler, mellow vape, well suited for sweeter flavours, like fruits. Well balanced flavor and vapor. Sutiable for all battery types.

With that being said, VV/VW will act as a fine tuner.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    Deb, your basic starter set will help you a lot use it to get used to vapeing, try different toppers...a top coil like a iclear30 a bottom coil like a protank,,,,,find some juices you really like and then step up to a VV/VW unit ( I bought the MVP2's from 101vapes as holiday gifts for all my vapeing friends and family...fantastic deal)

I still use my ego starters as backups or loan them out to those wanting to start vapeing :)

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    Wake Forest NC USA
    Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood your original question and should have made a better edit. As someone said, although you aren't going to be able to adjust the output of your kit battery, you can adjust the final heat somewhat. You can buy toppers or if your topper is a Kanger you can buy extra coils. Coils rated at 1.8 ohms will give you a hotter temperature and 2.4 will give you a cooler temp. Good luck and enjoy.

I'm not even sure what my coils are, hopefully I'll find out when it gets here. The lower rated, the hotter. Thank you, that's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I understand tobacco flavors should be hotter than desserts. So I would need different coils in different PVs right? I have 2 coming so I can figure that out.:)

rabernet

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2011
    Buford, GA
    Mines not adjustable, that's not what I bought. Is there a way to adjust a non VV PV?

No. The only way you can adjust with a non VV or non VW device is to try different resistance heads. Lower resistance (1.8 ohms) will give you a warmer vape and and standard resistance (2.2 or 2.5 ohms) will give you a cooler vape. Some juices do better with warmer vapes (dessert and tobacco generally) and some do better with cooler (most fruits).

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    Wake Forest NC USA
    You'll still get good use out of the VV even if you can't crank it up. Mine only goes to 4.8. Can't even imagine going to 5.5 with my gear. I think the more expensive your tank is, the more you can do with it. I'm pretty sure if you crank an evod up to 5.5 you're going to get a mouthful of yuck no matter what ohm your head is. I still get good range from 3.2 to about 4.1. Some juices are better on low, some on high. Having the low option also helps when you just filled the tank and don't want to wait until the wick gets saturated. You can set it on low and it won't burn, then crank it up notch by notch as the wick gets saturated. I'm not familiar with the starter kit you're getting so I don't know if it's the same like mine. All the Kanger products I have use the same exact heads.

It's an Ego CE4S I think it was. I think it's auto set at like 3.2 or something? 3.5? can't remember. But I agree, I need to quit worrying and get used to what I have when it gets here.
    Thanks again.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    Wake Forest NC USA
    No. The only way you can adjust with a non VV or non VW device is to try different resistance heads. Lower resistance (1.8 ohms) will give you a warmer vape and and standard resistance (2.2 or 2.5 ohms) will give you a cooler vape. Some juices do better with warmer vapes (dessert and tobacco generally) and some do better with cooler (most fruits).

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

OOOPS I had it wrong, thought desserts where lower. I'll remember it's the fruits. Thank you!

madqatter

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Is there directions somewhere that tells how to make any adjustments when you don't have a VV device? Thank you!
    Yep. You're going to have some eGo-batteries. I think the typical actual voltage of these is approximately 3.3 to 3.4 (someone can feel free to correct this if they know better). You can adjust the wattage by using higher or lower resistance coils in your juice attachment. When I'm using a Kanger Evod or Kanger Mini Protank on an eGo-style battery, I usually get results I like from a 1.8 ohm coil. But some juices do better with higher resistance, such as a 2.2 ohm coil.

So even though you don't have any kind of dial or button for changing your voltage or wattage, you really can change your wattage by changing your coil resistance. It's just more difficult than pressing a button or turning a knob and you have a bit less precise control.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    Wake Forest NC USA
    Deb, your basic starter set will help you a lot use it to get used to vapeing, try different toppers...a top coil like a iclear30 a bottom coil like a protank,,,,,find some juices you really like and then step up to a VV/VW unit ( I bought the MVP2's from 101vapes as holiday gifts for all my vapeing friends and family...fantastic deal)

I still use my ego starters as backups or loan them out to those wanting to start vapeing :)

Agreed, I'm looking too far into it, since I don't even have my kit yet.:D Thank you!

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    Wake Forest NC USA
    Ha ha . . . I was kidding (kind of) ;) Seriously, I have all sorts of VV/VW devices, but my standard Evod battery and Evod clearo combo is still one of my favorites. It's fun to experiment with different things, but the simple things work just fine, too.

Shhhh! Don't tell! I'll be running up my mastercard!:ohmy:

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    Wake Forest NC USA
    Welcome ncpatches.

This is taken from one of my first vendor sites that helped me in explaining the differences in Ohms for cartomizers on fixed 3.7 volt batteries:

With that being said, VV/VW will act as a fine tuner.

Thank you! Now I'm getting it! I appreciate it very much.

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    Yep. You're going to have some eGo-batteries. I think the typical actual voltage of these is approximately 3.3 to 3.4 (someone can feel free to correct this if they know better). You can adjust the wattage by using higher or lower resistance coils in your juice attachment. When I'm using a Kanger Evod or Kanger Mini Protank on an eGo-style battery, I usually get results I like from a 1.8 ohm coil. But some juices do better with higher resistance, such as a 2.2 ohm coil.

So even though you don't have any kind of dial or button for changing your voltage or wattage, you really can change your wattage by changing your coil resistance. It's just more difficult than pressing a button or turning a knob and you have a bit less precise control.

I know the Evod battery is 3.7, very nice middle range, works excellently. Nothing to play with though so if you want to crank it up a few notch to get a nice, warm, thicker vape once in a while, you can't do it. Everyone should have at least one VV.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    Wake Forest NC USA

I think I have this figured out now, that I can adjust slightly depending on the coils and if that doesn't seem to work for me, I'm off shopping again!

Thank you all very much! To be so kind to us dummies, you are all jewels in my book!

Deb - NCPatches

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    Wake Forest NC USA
    I know the Evod battery is 3.7, very nice middle range, works excellently. Nothing to play with though so if you want to crank it up a few notch to get a nice, warm, thicker vape once in a while, you can't do it. Everyone should have at least one VV.

I have no doubt, it will probably be my next purchase. Of course then I'll have to decide on which one.:ohmy:
    Thanks again!

dice57

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Wa
    The better the battery device, the better the atomizer, the better and tastier the vape. Would first look at your atomizer, get an Aspire Vivi Nova BDC to maximize the vape on your starter kit. Then if you are still looking for more, look into an VV/VW battery mod. Then if you are still looking for more, look into rba's and rda's, then if you are still looking for more, look into mech mods and sub ohm builds. then if you are still looking for more, hmm don't know, can't help you.

Vape can quickly spiral out of control, so it's best to take it one step at a time. There is a learning curve. If you have to ask, you'll never know, but once you know, you need only ask.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread