Variable Volt/watt...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
The better the battery device, the better the atomizer, the better and tastier the vape. Would first look at your atomizer, get an Aspire Vivi Nova BDC to maximize the vape on your starter kit. Then if you are still looking for more, look into an VV/VW battery mod. Then if you are still looking for more, look into rba's and rda's, then if you are still looking for more, look into mech mods and sub ohm builds. then if you are still looking for more, hmm don't know, can't help you.

Vape can quickly spiral out of control, so it's best to take it one step at a time. There is a learning curve. If you have to ask, you'll never know, but once you know, you need only ask.

I can see, I will have to put myself on a budget. Keep my eyes open for sales, etc. I really hate learning curves! Went thru that for months with a diabetic cat. He's fine now that I know what I'm doing tho.:thumbs: Guess it'll be the same with vaping. Thanks hon!

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
Lmao, always a pleasure to frustrate and confuse!! The wanting more made me into a DIY juice mixer, sub ohm coil builder, and a high end rba shopper.

I'm already looking at DIY juices. I think it may be the only way I can afford all the flavors I want.:ohmy:

And heaven knows these cigalikes sucka$$ and have no taste!:mad:

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Yeah, love DIY juice. Check out the DIY E-Liquid section of the forum for tips tricks, recommended equipment and venders. Been mixing my own for a month or two. And loving it!! Had to go DIY after going rba and high watts, was burning the midnight juice!! So loving the savings and ability to customize my juice.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Is there directions somewhere that tells how to make any adjustments when you don't have a VV device? Thank you!

There you go:

Disclaimer: This is the most simplistic explanation and is addressed to new vapers mostly or vapers who are happy within the recommended "just right" power zone (4.5-8 watts). [If you are using dual coil atomizers or are interested in high wattage vaping, it's a different conversation altogether. :) You will also have to understand the concept of amp limits and how it applies to high power vaping.]

Ohm's Law as it pertains to vaping is really not that complicated--and it's very useful when you want to know what you're doing.

Voltage and wattage are often misunderstood by new vapers. Wattage is the power (heat, sweet spot) that your PV (battery and atomizer) generates. Wattage = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided by Resistance (Ω) of your atomizer [P=V[SUP]2[/SUP]/R]. If you're not good at math, don't worry, use this easy calculator:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Of course, if you own a VW (variable wattage) device, you don't really need this calculator because your device will do the math for you.

The wattage you want, especially at the beginning of your vaping career, should be somewhere between 4.5 and 8.5 Watts. Anything lower than 4.5 watts may not vaporize your juice properly and will not produce enough warmth and vapor. Anything above 8.5 watts increases the risk of burning the filler in your cartomizers (if you're using them) and even some juices, especially the delicate ones.

There are, of course, other variables, like eliquid and JDD (juice delivery devices) that you're using on your batteries. Seven watts on a filler type cartomizer may feel different than the same 7 watts on a fillerless clearomizer or a dripping atomizer. The same is true for different eliquids; tobaccos, chocolate and coffees generally require more wattage (heat), while fruit and other delicate flavors do better with less heat. Everyone's sweet spot is different--those are just very general guidelines.

Experiment and you'll find your own bliss in no time!

The chart below is a good guide to safe vaping, even though some think it's a bit conservative.

e-cigarette-volts-ohms-watts.png

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
Yeah, love DIY juice. Check out the DIY E-Liquid section of the forum for tips tricks, recommended equipment and venders. Been mixing my own for a month or two. And loving it!! Had to go DIY after going rba and high watts, was burning the midnight juice!! So loving the savings and ability to customize my juice.

I keep trying, but get lost before I get there. LOL I've been 3 days trying to get to DIY forum.:D

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
I used the word "actual" on purpose. ;)

Based on what I've read, a genuine Joyetech eGo battery is regulated to about 3.3 volts. I don't think the Evod batteries, which I have, are significantly different-- about 3.3-3.5v.

That helps me use the chart from Katya. Thank you.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
you can adjust the power for a stronger/lighter vape. you arent limited to low resistance stuff. Some juices taste better with more or less power. and if you get a nice one its regulated so every vape is the same, rather than strong at first then weak as the battery dies.

This has been so helpful, thank you.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
There you go:

Disclaimer: This is the most simplistic explanation and is addressed to new vapers mostly or vapers who are happy within the recommended "just right" power zone (4.5-8 watts). [If you are using dual coil atomizers or are interested in high wattage vaping, it's a different conversation altogether. :) You will also have to understand the concept of amp limits and how it applies to high power vaping
Ohm's Law as it pertains to vaping is really not that complicated--and it's very useful when you want to know what you're doing.

Voltage and wattage are often misunderstood by new vapers. Wattage is the power (heat, sweet spot) that your PV (battery and atomizer) generates. Wattage = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided by Resistance (Ω) of your atomizer [P=V[SUP]2[/SUP]/R]. If you're not good at math, don't worry, use this easy calculator:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Of course, if you own a VW (variable wattage) device, you don't really need this calculator because your device will do the math for you.

The wattage you want, especially at the beginning of your vaping career, should be somewhere between 4.5 and 8.5 Watts. Anything lower than 4.5 watts may not vaporize your juice properly and will not produce enough warmth and vapor. Anything above 8.5 watts increases the risk of burning the filler in your cartomizers (if you're using them) and even some juices, especially the delicate ones.

There are, of course, other variables, like eliquid and JDD (juice delivery devices) that you're using on your batteries. Seven watts on a filler type cartomizer may feel different than the same 7 watts on a fillerless clearomizer or a dripping atomizer. The same is true for different eliquids; tobaccos, chocolate and coffees generally require more wattage (heat), while fruit and other delicate flavors do better with less heat. Everyone's sweet spot is different--those are just very general guidelines.

Experiment and you'll find your own bliss in no time!

The chart below is a good guide to safe vaping, even though some think it's a bit conservative.

e-cigarette-volts-ohms-watts.png

I need to save this, memory is not what it used to be. Thank you!

Best I can tell, it's a 'good' thing. Can someone tell this noob why I should get one?

I'm still waiting on my starter kit. If there is a place I have missed here on the forums, that explains the use of VV batts, i.e. when, why, how and with which juices, please point me in that direction. I will be forever grateful.

It's not what I have coming, but even without my starter, I'm looking at more, just want to know the reasons for them.

I am so confused!:blink:

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Hi i have been vaping for 8 months now and i only started with the VV/VW a couple weeks ago i now have my own vapor shop here in uk. i have noticed with different liquids i can fine tune the VW to a perfect VW that brings out the flavor more.

you can also look at it this way the higher VV/VW the more vapor you will exhale but you need to make sure that your atty can handle the power i using a pro tank 2 copy at the moment my SVD mod tells me the coil is 1.9 amh so i am vaping at 7.5 W and getting a ton of vapor and also a perfect flavor i use Dekang liquids.

but from my experience they are allot better for you in the long run. happy vaping :) wish i could be more help

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
Hi i have been vaping for 8 months now and i only started with the VV/VW a couple weeks ago i now have my own vapor shop here in uk. i have noticed with different liquids i can fine tune the VW to a perfect VW that brings out the flavor more.

you can also look at it this way the higher VV/VW the more vapor you will exhale but you need to make sure that your atty can handle the power i using a pro tank 2 copy at the moment my SVD mod tells me the coil is 1.9 amh so i am vaping at 7.5 W and getting a ton of vapor and also a perfect flavor i use Dekang liquids.

but from my experience they are allot better for you in the long run. happy vaping :) wish i could be more help

Thank you! Although the cigalikes suck (and not in a good way) I'm not so much interested in massive plumes or heavy throat hits. Flavor and nic are more of a concern at this point. Who knows? I may find my Egos to be just what I need until much further down the line.
It's one of those things! You see so many different PV's that you just don't know what you need or IF you need.
Thanks again.

Moedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the other advantage of vv/vw devices. With a vv/wv, the voltage/wattage stays pretty much the same during the life of the battery charge. With an unregulated device, the power of the battery gradually trails off, giving you less vape/flavor/th as time goes on, until in the end you get almost nothing. Also, a regulated device can give you 6 volt performance from a 3 volt battery, and many would say that a 3 volt is safer than a 6 volt or two linked 3 volt batts.

allin7days

Nov 18, 2013
LA, CA
Best I can tell, it's a 'good' thing. Can someone tell this noob why I should get one?

I'm still waiting on my starter kit. If there is a place I have missed here on the forums, that explains the use of VV batts, i.e. when, why, how and with which juices, please point me in that direction. I will be forever grateful.

It's not what I have coming, but even without my starter, I'm looking at more, just want to know the reasons for them.

I am so confused!:blink:

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

It all comes down to V = iR (Ohm's Law, Voltage = current x Resistance). Yes, I know, we actually get to use what we learned in high school in real life.

Depends on the Resistance(Unit: Ohm) of the coil in cartridge, the Voltage can be tuned to that "perfect" setting so that the right amount of i, current(Unit: Amp), goes through the coil.
Go to this site if you want to know more details (Science behind EV - Proneodox)

As per various voltage per various juices, I'm sure there is some effect, but our taste senses are not that sensitive. That's like asking, should I bake frozen pizza at 400F or 405F. I can't tell the difference even if there is one.

Some mods have power setting, so you need to understand P = iV (Power = current x Voltage). The unit for power is Watt. Power is just another way to represent setting.

Some nominal setting are:

Voltage: 4-5 V
Resistance: 1-3.5 Ohm
current: 1.5-2 A
Power:4-8 Watt

Example:
If you set 4V with 2Ohm coil, i(current) = V / R = 4 / 2 = 2A.
Since P = iV = 2A x 4V, the Power is 8 Watt.

In English, higher the voltage, the hotter the coil get. Lower the coil resistance, again, the hotter the coil gets. The hotter the coil gets, it burns juice faster, means more vapor. One may say, why not make it super hot and done with it. For one, it can melt the plastics around tank/cartridge. Also, the high temperature of coil consumes battery faster. It also "burns" the fiber wick in the tank faster, and creates carbon around the coil.

Having said all that, it only matters to the people who wants that extra bit of control.
Vendors usually pre-set their device to match their tanks/cartridges for the best performance.

Happy vaping:2cool:

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I know the Evod battery is 3.7, very nice middle range, works excellently. Nothing to play with though so if you want to crank it up a few notch to get a nice, warm, thicker vape once in a while, you can't do it. Everyone should have at least one VV.

Right. That said, with unregulated devices, batteries come off the charger at 4.2v, which may be hot enough to fry a filler in a LR cartomizer or deliver a nasty dry hit with a LR clearo. The rest of the time the battery runs at 3.7v, then the voltage sags again until the cutoff point--usually around 3.1 v or so.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the other advantage of vv/vw devices. With a vv/wv, the voltage/wattage stays pretty much the same during the life of the battery charge. With an unregulated device, the power of the battery gradually trails off, giving you less vape/flavor/th as time goes on, until in the end you get almost nothing. Also, a regulated device can give you 6 volt performance from a 3 volt battery, and many would say that a 3 volt is safer than a 6 volt or two linked 3 volt batts.

Just did. ;)

However, classic eGos are regulated at 3.3v, so there's no sag.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thank you! Although the cigalikes suck (and not in a good way) I'm not so much interested in massive plumes or heavy throat hits. Flavor and nic are more of a concern at this point. Who knows? I may find my Egos to be just what I need until much further down the line.
It's one of those things! You see so many different PV's that you just don't know what you need or IF you need.
Thanks again.

Egos are wonderful batteries.

Once you find the wattage you like, you'll probably want to stay there no matter what device you own. Start with 2-2.2Ω coils--they are very easy to use, very versatile and work well with both vv and set-voltage batteries.

With a little practice, you won't even have to do the math. You'll just know what resistance you like at what voltage. :)

Good luck and happy vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread